Cade Brewer

Beau Vine

It’s one thing to play him, but why the hell are we calling plays to feature him?  Splitting him out wide and throwing jump balls to him???  Why not do that with the “backup” TE Wiley who’s taller and way more athletic....or better yet, any one of our WRs?  Hell, even Epps is a better option. 
Didn’t we even run a WR screen with him?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

24 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

It’s one thing to play him, but why the hell are we calling plays to feature him?  Splitting him out wide and throwing jump balls to him???  Why not do that with the “backup” TE Wiley who’s taller and way more athletic....or better yet, any one of our WRs?  Hell, even Epps is a better option. 
Didn’t we even run a WR screen with him?

yes, but nobody saw it coming

-oh wait...

Brewer is horrible.. And yet according to Bobby Burton, Mensa agreed to make Brewer a big part of the gameplan today...  WHAT THE FUCK ?? 

Bobby Burton:  "Texas really tried to work the TE into the passing game. Cade Brewer’s number was called multiple times in the game."

Let's all be clear, the problem isn't Cade Brewer, it's how Herman is using him. On one of Brewer's split out wide go routes, they showed the replay and there's Whiley, kept in to block. It's infuriating. At that point it's not even a disguising personel thing, you can make it work with the same people, you just them doing the wrong jobs. 

• Like 1

Brewer had a good start to his career, showed a little promise.  Then his knee got bent backwards.

He's been bad ever since. 

It's so disheartening when we take over on O and it shows the 1st unit trot out.  Sure enough, there is #80.

I'm pretty sure he was in on every down against Baylor.

I just don't understand it.

11 hours ago, EZ$ said:

It’s one thing to play him, but why the hell are we calling plays to feature him?  Splitting him out wide and throwing jump balls to him???  

That's the thing that made me start this thread.  He's not fast at all, so there's no way he's going to get seperation, he's not that tall and he's not athletic, so there's no way he's going to win a jump ball against a moderately competent defender. 

Every time he splits out wide, a little part of me dies. 

• Rage+1 1

14 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Brewer is horrible.. And yet according to Bobby Burton, Mensa agreed to make Brewer a big part of the gameplan today...  WHAT THE FUCK ?? 

Bobby Burton:  "Texas really tried to work the TE into the passing game. Cade Brewer’s number was called multiple times in the game."

We shouldn’t be disappointed they’re including the TE in the game plan (it hasn’t been too long since we wondered why the position disappeared for weeks at a time).

The disappointment is over Mensa’s choice for PT.  Brewer should only get snaps when Wiley needs a blow.

I have nothing against Cade still being on the team. Seems a good teammate and all.  But what has Wiley done wrong? He's a big, athletic guy who's way better at catching and running. And he's a decent blocker...especially by the standards of our OL. Does he maybe not "practice well?" Even if that's the case, I'd still play him a lot. 

Well, Herman has always been infatuated with 11 and 12 personnel. I think that's another B10 hangover thing. For a couple of years there, it hurt blocking and offered zero help with the passing game.  So, with Brewer, and Wiley, occasionally actually catching a pass, it's a bit of an improvement.  And, our receivers are so Meh this year that they aren't such a huge downgrade in that department as they have been in the past.

• 4 weeks later...

Brewer was an athletic, actually acrobatic and limber TE who made stellar catches and incredible heads up plays in H.S.  His upside was unlimited.  He might have been Herman's first get as new coach (I was at the game where he headed up, watched him, offered him a scholly, and de-committed him from SMU).

But, like 95% of UT players in the past ten years, I think he was coached into being a 2-star from 4 1/2 star status.  Just another guy who the coaches totally, absolutely misused and wrecked.

Not saying Brewer is NFL caliber (though I wouldn't be surprised if he gets some sort of appendage or practice spot on some team).  But geezuz, look how good he was in his first year.  It's obvious to me that he's playing a style and system that is 180 from his talents.  He would be best suited for "quicker" TE outs and quick hits.  He's not big enough to be a mother blocker.  He would have been far better as a 3rd down catcher or spot blocker (i.e. on blitzing corner or whatever).

Anyway, part of the long (now) tradition of "we'll coach 'em down, don't worry).  I already see it happening with at least 10 underclassmen.  We put Robinson out there and he shined a few weeks ago, about time to "rotate" him into obscurity and wreck whatever talent he has.  It's just the Texas way now.

I would bet anyone here at least 50 Ameros that if he were still at SMU and Buechele was zinging darts at him 10 yards in the flat now, it'd be a very different story right now.

Edited by phdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

He’s a horn and bleeds for the program, and I’m grateful, blah blah blah.  
He’s the TE version of Kyle Porter. Every time he touches the ball, it’s trash. Dude can’t break a tackle if his life depended on it. Herman’s refusal to use Wiley the Giant instead of him is infuriating. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 months later...

https://theathletic.com/2508606/2021/04/09/texas-spring-football-takeaways-looking-for-real-qb-leadership-ray-thorntons-presence-and-pete-kwiatkowskis-style/

One key difference to watch in Sarkisian’s offense this year is the use of the tight end in the passing game.

In the last two seasons at Alabama, tight ends accounted for 82 receptions. That’s almost double the catches Longhorns tight ends had in the same span (42).

The good news for Sarkisian is that Texas’ depth at the position is the best it has been in years. Brewer, a “super” senior, is back, as are juniors Malcolm Epps and Jared Wiley and sophomore Brayden Liebrock. All of them have game experience. Add two freshmen who enrolled in January, three-star prospects Gunnar Helm and Juan Davis, and the Longhorns have plenty to work with.

“We’re very talented, very skilled,” Brewer said. “We’re deep. … We’ve been thin the last few years, whether it’s injuries or people leaving. I think the tight end room is going to be a big factor in what we do on offense this year.”

Brewer said the offense has worked often in “12 personnel” (one running back, two tight ends) so far, which is something Sarkisian used frequently at Alabama. Brewer noted his role will involve a lot of motion and adjustments based on defensive alignments, as well as flexing out as a receiver.

Parks And Recreation Reaction GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Bigbend1812 said:

He’s gonna be the primary blocking TE right?  

Yeah, if you watch Foristall’s usage at Bama, he was mainly just a movable blocking piece that wasn’t a primary receiving option and ran some pretty basic routes. Sark wasn’t asking him to be Travis Kelce. I think he definitely prioritizes reliability in blocking for the in line TE. He did some more creative receiving stuff with the H-back role (Billingsley at Bama). Hopefully Wiley can improve his blocking enough to unseat Brewer and then we get one of Liebrock or the freshman to step up and be the more dynamic TE/H-back. 

• Hook 'Em 1