Nude Gunman Shoots up a Waffle House in Nashville

Hugo Stiglitz

The guy who grabbed the gun really saved everyone’s bacon. That took some huevos. 

Eggsactly. I hope this guy isn’t a cereal shooter. They need to catch him and throw him in the (Grand) Slammer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So about a year ago or so police confiscated this nuts guns. Somehow those same guns were returned to nutjob's dad. Dad was interviewed after waffle house incident and admitted he gave guns back to his son. One was the AR-15 he used at the waffle house. Police have two of the four guns. Lovely. Reminds me of the Sandy Hook mom. Everyone inc!using the killers own father and sibling thought the Sandy hook killer was a loon.except his mom who allowed his crazy ass to have and be around guns. The secret service arrested and released waffle house killer for fuck sake. But his dad gives him the guns back. 

https://www.newschannel5.com/news/what-we-know-about-waffle-house-mass-shooting-suspect

Edited by Nicole44

So about a year ago or so police confiscated this nuts guns. Somehow those same guns were returned to nutjob's dad. Dad was interviewed after waffle house incident and admitted he gave guns back to his son. One was the AR-15 he used at the waffle house. Police have two of the four guns. Lovely. Reminds me of the Sandy Hook mom. Everyone inc!using the killers own father and sibling thought the Sandy hook killer was a loon.except his mom who allowed his crazy ass to have and be around guns. The secret service arrested and released waffle house killer for fuck sake. But his dad gives him the guns back. 
https://www.newschannel5.com/news/what-we-know-about-waffle-house-mass-shooting-suspect

Sounds like dad needs to go to prison.

You know how we have strict laws and mandatory sentencing for drug crimes? How about we just do that for gun crimes? Provide guns to someone who you KNOW is legally barred from possessing them, and you are fully criminally liable for any crime committed with the guns by that person. All the state has to prove is that you knew he was not allowed to have them, and you provided them to him...and you now go up on four murder charges.

Y’all good with that? I am.
  • Like 4

You know how we have strict laws and mandatory sentencing for drug crimes? How about we just do that for gun crimes? Provide guns to someone who you KNOW is legally barred from possessing them, and you are fully criminally liable for any crime committed with the guns by that person. All the state has to prove is that you knew he was not allowed to have them, and you provided them to him...and you now go up on four murder charges.

I'm good with that. But was this nutcase legally prohibited from owning a gun?

I'm good with that. But was this nutcase legally prohibited from owning a gun?

Yes.

“Reinking's firearms authorization was revoked in Illinois and four weapons were seized by authorities, among them was the AR-15 used in Sunday's shooting, police said. The guns were returned to Reinking's father, who told police he gave them back to his son.”
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, cabowabo said:

This guy was in his 20s. Giving them to his father, or anyone else for that matter after they were seized, is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Yep. According to family members, he's been suffering from delusions since 2014. Basically he claimed Taylor Swift was stalking him at one point. His parents called police to have them check on him in 2016. 

https://www.newschannel5.com/news/waffle-house-suspect-said-taylor-swift-was-stalking-him

So his dad thought it was ok to return guns to this guy? The father should also be charged with murder. Jmo.

17 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Yep. According to family members, he's been suffering from delusions since 2014. Basically he claimed Taylor Swift was stalking him at one point. His parents called police to have them check on him in 2016. 

https://www.newschannel5.com/news/waffle-house-suspect-said-taylor-swift-was-stalking-him

So his dad thought it was ok to return guns to this guy? The father should also be charged with murder. Jmo.

I've had problems with Taylor Swift invading some of my dreams so I can sort of relate.

I think Morton, Illinois (where he lived and where the guns were returned to him) would be Big 10 Country, so i’m not sure what joke you were going for there.

This guy clearly shouldn’t have been on the streets after reading his back story. Also, his Dad clearly needs to be charged with something, but why would the cops revoke his rights to the guns and then turn them over to the Dad? That’s just asking for trouble.

I’ve been in my fair share of Waffle Houses after midnight in my younger days and nothing good ever comes of it.

Edited by Brew

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5645015/Waffle-House-gunman-run-TWO-guns-killing-four.html

Authorities seized Reinking's weapons following an incident at the White House in July last year when he was arrested by the Secret Service for crossing an exterior security barrier and charged with unlawful entry.   

Reinking told Secret Service officials he was trying to set up a meeting with President Donald Trump. 

The Metro Nashville Police Department said arrest warrants charging Reinking with murder have been issued as authorities continue to search for the gunman.

This is an example of not needing more legislation but instead needing better legislation.  Make law allowing authorities to confiscate guns from nut cases wandering around the White House is good sensible legislation.  Allowing those guns to be returned to nut job's immediate family afterwards is piss poor legislation.  How can not one member of an entire legislative body stand up ask "What's the point of confiscating the guns if you are just going to give them back to the assailant's family later on?"

Edited by EMAWesome
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Sounds good to me. 

Awesome job by the kid taking him out. Took his chance to be great and nailed it. 

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/25/us/waffle-house-suspect-phone-call/index.html

The man accused of killing four people at a Nashville-area Waffle House thought his laptop had been hacked about a month before the shooting, said the owner of the repair shop where Travis Reinking took his computer.

Reinking told technicians that his computer had been acting up and the USB port wasn't working, so the technician reformatted his hard drive -- a common troubleshooting measure -- which wiped the data from Reinking's hard drive, Dang It Repairs owner Robert Hartline told CNN. (snip)

http://www.krqe.com/news/national/waffle-house-gunmans-troubles-began-years-before-attack/1138402088

Travis Reinking's erratic behavior began years before police say he showed up without pants at a Waffle House restaurant and killed four people with an assault-style rifle.

The onetime construction crane operator bounced between states and suffered from delusions, sometimes talking about plans to marry singer Taylor Swift, friends and relatives told police. He was arrested outside the White House last year after asking to speak to President Donald Trump, and his bizarre actions seemed to intensify in recent days with a car theft.

Now Reinking is charged in Tennessee with four counts of criminal homicide. He's been jailed without bond.

"He's a good kid that went off the handle for some reason," said Dave Warren, who once worked with Reinking in Colorado.

Former co-workers at Rocky Mountain Crane in Salida, Colorado, told police after the shooting that Reinking was complex.

He didn't drink or do drugs, according to a police report describing the interviews, and he was known as intelligent, polite and an excellent equipment operator. He didn't like the government or the National Rifle Association, and he talked about being a "sovereign citizen," although the meaning of the phrase wasn't clear.

What seemed to drive Reinking more than anything was an obsession with Swift, the report said.

Reinking told police - once in Tazewell County, Illinois, in 2016, and again in Colorado last year - that Swift was stalking him. He was infatuated with her and supposedly purchased a $14,000 ring and drove to California to try to meet her, authorities said.

But co-workers also knew Reinking as openly gay, according to the interview notes.

Ken and Darlene Sustrich, the owners of the crane service where Reinking worked for six months, recalled a time when he and other members of a crew were returning to Salida after completing a job. As they passed through the town of Last Chance, Colorado, Reinking quit on the spot.

"He misconstrued that was his last chance," Ken Sustrich said. "He got super-paranoid, and he quit that day. He said, 'This is my last chance.'"

Reinking's intelligence impressed them. He would sometimes talk about astrophysics, Darlene Sustrich said.

In his last few days at the crane service, he began showing signs of paranoia.

"You could see something was off with him, but nothing violent," Darlene Sustrich said. Then came a call from the Secret Service, saying Reinking was at the White House, refusing to leave a restricted area.

"We told them, 'Hang onto him if you can. Help him if you can,'" she said.

Ken Sustrich told police that he reached out to Reinking's father with concerns about his son's mental health. He said the father replied that he was aware of the issues and "had been recently trying to rekindle his relationship with Travis," the police report said.

Back in Illinois last June, a sheriff's report showed, the younger Reinking barged into a community swimming pool and jumped in wearing only underwear and a pink woman's coat. That same day, an employee at his family's business, J&J Cranes, said he emerged from an apartment above the office wearing a pink dress, clutching a rifle and yelling profanities, according to a report.

The sheriff's department called his father, who was out of state. He told officers that he had taken four guns away when his son was "having problems" but later returned them.

Police suggested that Jeff Reinking "lock the guns back up until Travis gets mental help," officer Randy Davis wrote in a report. The father agreed to do so.

When he was arrested at the White House, Reinking was not armed, but Illinois state police revoked his state firearms card at the FBI's request. Four guns, including the AR-15 used in the Waffle House shooting, were transferred to his father, a procedure allowed under Illinois law. The father said he later returned the guns to his son again, police said.

Signs of paranoid delusions continued: In August, Reinking told police he wanted to file a report about 20 to 30 people tapping into his computer and phone and people "barking like dogs" outside his residence, according to a report.

It isn't clear why Reinking moved recently to the Nashville area from Morton, Illinois, and if it had anything to do with being near Swift. The performer has a home in Nashville, though it's not her only residence.

A representative of Swift did not return a message seeking comment, nor did the public defender appointed to represent Reinking, who has not entered a plea.

Nashville police say they were not aware of Reinking's past fixation with Swift, but authorities in Music City say they are all too familiar with people being preoccupied with the superstar.

"You wouldn't believe how many people are obsessed with Taylor Swift," Nashville Police Chief Steve Anderson said.

Reinking apparently kept a low profile until recent days.

Alerted to the theft of a BMW from a car dealer last week, officers decided against a risky chase knowing the car had a GPS device and could be located. Police found the vehicle outside Reinking's apartment, but they did not figure out until after the attack that Reinking had apparently taken it.

So his father gave him those guns back two or three times after break downs and taking them away?  Maybe the middle time was the police telling him to lock them up but he didn't follow through.  Either way that was three opportunities to prevent this event.  

Is there a legal term that would apply to the father here?  Negligence, recklessness, culpable, accessory?