Hands on a Hardbody

Daichee Bell

Sort of an amusing sidenote on this.  When the federal courts in the Eastern District of Texas (Marshall, Tyler, Longview, mostly) became favored venues for patent infringement litigation, the presiding judge out there made a point of lending a DVD of this to the defense lawyers (inevitably big city, "tall building" lawyers, often from out of state), so they knew what they were up against.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Is this the movie where the really religious girl loses her spot because she has a momentary lapse and takes her hands off the car to pray?  

Maybe I'm crossing references but wasn't there also a tv show or series that tried to emulate this type of competition shortly thereafter?  I could have sworn that one of the episodes had farmers competing to win a tractor.

Thanks.  Great movie.

Per my second statement, I"m pretty sure there was a show related to this type of contest that came on shortly thereafter the movie.  Seems as if one episode involved farmers and a tractor.  IIRC, the show got cancelled because, in some cases, those in the competition just came across as really sad.  I.E. If I don't win this tractor, we'll lose the farm.  

This guy was my favorite, he was so proud of the 20 ton AC unit he got from a K Mart that went out of business that he took and put on his mobile home

HandsonaHardbody2.jpg

Also liked the black guy with the jheri curl from Karnak whose secret weapon was the snicker bars but said fuck it when the storm came.

hohb064.jpg

16 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Is this the movie where the really religious girl loses her spot because she has a momentary lapse and takes her hands off the car to pray?  

Maybe I'm crossing references but wasn't there also a tv show or series that tried to emulate this type of competition shortly thereafter?  I could have sworn that one of the episodes had farmers competing to win a tractor.

It was the lady below wearing the headphones

main.jpg

• Like 1

It may be the greatest movie of all time.  I remember seeing it, then taking half a dozen friends to see it.  Each character could've been a lead character in their own show.  So many good lines.  But the one that sticks with me, "When the lightnin' comes, I gots to go." 

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

This guy was my favorite, he was so proud of the 20 ton AC unit he got from a K Mart that went out of business that he took and put on his mobile home

HandsonaHardbody2.jpg

Also liked the black guy with the jheri curl from Karnak whose secret weapon was the snicker bars but said fuck it when the storm came.

hohb064.jpg

I ain't need no tent. Just gimme that prairie sun.

3 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

HandsonaHardbody2.jpg

We didn't know that it could get the air down to 10 below........but we found out real quick.

17 hours ago, Texas_Rocks said:

Seems like I remember hearing that laws were eventually instated where breaks were mandatory to keep people from pissing and shitting all over themselves.

Urban legend?

Not sure about that.  They stopped it after some contestant wandered off then killed himself, likely due to sleep deprivation. 

Edited by Daichee Bell

I was shown this movie during a time when my then girlfriend was trying to get me to move to east Texas.  It did not hasten my move.

Been here 17 years at this point and like the movie a lot more than I did back then.