You'll be as happy as a monkey in a monkey tree
You're all gonna be an American

Sail away sail away
We will cross the mighty ocean into Charleston Bay
Sail away-sail away
We will cross the mighty ocean into Charleston Bay
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

To that end, I suppose you could argue that being in the US and receiving the full measure of US citizenship 150-200 years later beats living the tribal life in Ghana or the Ivory Coast. 

If you’re going that route and they were slaves in Africa, was being a slave in the USA a better lifestyle than being an African slave?  Regardless, almost no doubt it was a huge benefit to their currently living descendants.  

I’m not opposed to critical thinking assignments requiring students to create arguments to defend indefensible positions.  Like being assigned as the attorney to defend Ted Bundy against the death penalty. 

5 hours ago, Pancho Negro said:

I wonder what goes through the mind of an educator when they create such assignments.  

The teacher likely pulled the assignment right out of the teachers version of that textbook without much thought.

There are no hungry lions in Alabama or Mississippi?

There were panthers. And the threat of being eaten by one was used by slave owners to discourage runaways. And that story/cautionary tale continued to influence behavior into the 1990s. I went on a deer hunt on the MS/La border in 1990 or so, and one of the camp hands was complaining about how his co-worker (a local black man) wouldn’t spend a night out on a bulldozer so they could finish a job first thing: “no way, there’s panther in the swamp.”

There hasn’t been a panther there in 100 years.

But the scary story told to slaves 150 years before was still being passed on.

There you go, CSB.
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

And it was a benefit to their descendants. Being born black in the USA is much better than being born in Africa. 

I'm sure if you were working in a field from sun up, past sun down in humid as fuck Alabama picking cotton and getting your ass kicked when you so much as looked sideways that the thought that would constantly cross your mind is "gee isn't it going to be great in the next era when my lineage is born in to all of this, thanks massa I sure is lucky"

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

I'm sure if you were working in a field from sun up, past sun down in humid as fuck Alabama picking cotton and getting your ass kicked when you so much as looked sideways that the thought that would constantly cross your mind is "gee isn't it going to be great in the next era when my lineage is born in to all of this, thanks massa I sure is lucky"

You think there life in Africa was better?  Slaves were taken by conquest from warring tribes.  You think the conquering African tribal leaders treated the defeated better than southern plantation owners?  Or maybe you think they were better off being shipped to the Caribbean or Brazil?

It was lose - lose once they got captured by their opponent.

2 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

You think there life in Africa was better?  Slaves were taken by conquest from warring tribes.  You think the conquering African tribal leaders treated the defeated better than southern plantation owners?  Or maybe you think they were better off being shipped to the Caribbean or Brazil?

It was lose - lose once they got captured by their opponent.

Ungrateful pricks.

"The black is a better athlete to begin with because he's been bred to be that way, because of his high thighs and big thighs that goes up into his back, and they can jump higher and run faster because of their bigger thighs and he's bred to be the better athlete because this goes back all the way to the Civil War when during the slave trade … the slave owner would breed his big black to his big woman so that he could have a big black kid."

f1eefc4ac430c3d89863b3915d2da001.jpg

1 hour ago, po elvis said:

that sheet does not say list the positive aspects of slavery, which would be easy to come up with a bunch. it says positive aspects of "Life of Slaves" which is very different and hard to come up with any. 

reading comprehension is very hard.

What are the positive aspects of slavery?

I think the teacher was just looking for some insight into the evolution of the market economy in the southern colonies. Her contention is that prior to the Revolutionary War, the economic modalities—especially in the southern colonies—could most aptly be characterized as agrarian pre-capitalistic.

• Like 1