San Antonio school teacher ask students to list positives of slavery

Pancho

7 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

I think the teacher was just looking for some insight into the evolution of the market economy in the southern colonies. Her contention is that prior to the Revolutionary War, the economic modalities—especially in the southern colonies—could most aptly be characterized as agrarian pre-capitalistic.

Do you like apples?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

why is this assignment upsetting?  i don't think the teacher's advocating for slavery...

Probably because the title of the assignment is The Life of Slaves: A Balanced View.

I'm sure the teacher had some great ideas for homework on the Holocaust and how Jews don't have to deal with crowded Synagogues because of it.

Edited by kevwun

23 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Didn't some dumbass teacher in another state give the exact same assignment and cause a national kerfuffle several months ago?

I don't know about exact same thing happening a few months ago, but I remember years ago when teachers were taking lessons from CSCOPE that there was a lesson that characterized the Boston Tea Party as an act of terrorism and it caused a bit of a stir.

Teacher is stupid.

on the other hand, slavery had numerous benefits for the class of people who were not slaves. Don't really get why knowing why others in that time participated and defended a disgusting/disgraceful social institution is a bad thing.  Slavery didn't last 400+ years because it didn't have positives for the slave owners