Does the President materially affect you?

Slacks

I've been saying this for quite a while, but I've never felt, "Damn, this is really going affect my way of life."

I mean, other than saying your team won, what significant material changes have you noticed that you attribute to the President?

I mean, the Emancipation proclamation was cool, but I wasn't here for that... Reagan's war on drugs affected a lot of people. Bush invaded Iraq. . Clinton sexed a chick... Bush invaded Iraq and Afghanistan... Obama increased my medical insurance rates, but not materially... Trump tweeted a bunch...

What did these guys do to/for you? What would Biden do to/for you?

Multinational corporations and local politicians are far more influential in our daily and future life.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Snacks said:

I've been saying this for quite a while, but I've never felt, "Damn, this is really going affect my way of life."

I mean, other than saying your team won, what significant material changes have you noticed that you attribute to the President?

I mean, the Emancipation proclamation was cool, but I wasn't here for that... Reagan's war on drugs affected a lot of people. Bush invaded Iraq. . Clinton sexed a chick... Bush invaded Iraq and Afghanistan... Obama increased my medical insurance rates, but not materially... Trump tweeted a bunch...

What did these guys do to/for you? What would Biden do to/for you?

Multinational corporations and local politicians are far more influential in our daily and future life.

A Biden win means I can watch the daily news or read the daily newspaper without getting pissed off.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

My wife works at an east side school.  She has to go to folks houses every now and again for whatever reason.  Blinds are drawn, lights are off when a gringa is coming out of fear of our immigration crackdown.  It destroys our ability to create communities.  

Is this directly attributed to Trump? Was this the case in 2015? Will it go away if Biden wins?

Has there been an immigration crackdown? Should there be?

1 minute ago, Snacks said:

Even if you were green, gay, female... What would any President have changed?

Don't ask don't tell in the military, I suppose...

Lots! The tone of the nation and outright encouragement of people to be hostile to others that aren’t white, straight and male. 

Yep.  Trump has decided that NYC is the enemy.  Due to his declaring NYC an anarchist jurisdiction, billions of federal funds could be withheld, all because he is a thin-skinned idiot.  Oh, and Coronavirus response in April.
What *could* happen has not happened.

Coronavirus... I'm skeptical that the President could have done anything materially different. He left it to the states (more or less) and the people don't care. People don't want to wear a mask. I would have done it differently as potus, but not sure how material it would have been.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Snacks said:

Coronavirus... I'm skeptical that the President could have done anything materially different. He left it to the states (more or less) and the people don't care. People don't want to wear a mask. I would have done it differently as potus, but not sure how material it would have been.

Look at multiple other countries on how covid was handled. We managed it worse possible way. That falls solely on the president. 

Lots! The tone of the nation and outright encouragement of people to be hostile to others that aren’t white, straight and male. 

I don't like it, but that same hostility existed under Clinton and Obama... People didn't just start being hostile because Trump said it was ok... Trust me, I've been black for a long time.

Look at multiple other countries on how covid was handled. We managed it worse possible way. That falls solely on the president. 
Which country would you swap responses with?

Don you think Americans would be ok with a National lock down? We can't even wear masks properly.

So, I guess my point is, the President is almost never the disease or the cure... He's a symptom.
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Snacks said:

Is this directly attributed to Trump?

Not sure if srs, but yes. Trump is the guy that rants about Mexicans and spent the first two years of his presidency going after them.  What do you think the president does? Is this just fart sniffery message board talk or reality we’re trying to discuss?

Just now, Snacks said:

Which country would you swap responses with?

Don you think Americans would be ok with a National lock down? We can't even wear masks properly.

So, I guess my point is, the President is almost never the disease or the cure... He's a symptom.

Germany 

5 minutes ago, Snacks said:

I don't like it, but that same hostility existed under Clinton and Obama... People didn't just start being hostile because Trump said it was ok... Trust me, I've been black for a long time.

With an asian wife (cliche, I know), the incidents have dramatically increased.  My understanding across the board that these instances has increased under trump as he has normalized it. 

Edited by Redpuma

Does a CEO affect your job?

I worked at Apple before Jobs came back. I can say, yes, it affected me on a daily basis to have weak and unguided leaders. 

as president, Trump has absolutely made the top issues I care about worse:

Climate change

Universal health care 

Education

racial and gender equality 

immigration

world credibility

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Snacks said:

Hold up. You're black and you question whether a president can have an effect on peoples' lives? Seriously?

pure fucking American America. and 'material' too. maybe you could laser sinter that sand your material head was in. but don't worry your stocks are ok I think. have you checked them tonight? please do. we don't want them harmed in filming this blockbuster. 

ya'll homies be good now. buy buy buy 

• Hook 'Em 1

Not sure if srs, but yes. Trump is the guy that rants about Mexicans and spent the first two years of his presidency going after them.  What do you think the president does? Is this just fart sniffery message board talk or reality we’re trying to discuss?
I'm serious... I am around illegals often... They are unphased on the North side of Houston.

Rants... Are what politicians do, but we generally call them lies or unfulfilled promises, or empty platforms. Trump's are just loud and disjointed and stir up his base... He had illegals working for him. Probably still does...

But I'll accept that it affects your wife.

16 minutes ago, Snacks said:

Also, my taxes are SiGNIFICANTLY higher under his "tax cuts."

Also, the economic downturn due to his shitty handling of COVID has made NYC less safe.  His idiocy impacts my life almost daily.

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Not really that much before Trump, at least not directly with things I can trace back to the President.   
Has Trump affected my life?  Yes.  My taxes are lower.  That’s nice.  It would have happened with any Republican, not just him.   I’ve also been working remotely and quarantining since March with no end in sight because a crazy cult won’t take COVID seriously for political reasons.  That probably would not have been as bad, or as bleak looking for the winter, with a sane Republican or Democrat as President.  
Also, many personal relationships have been affected on some level because Trump is a maniac who has become an all encompassing presence in so many people’s lives.   Everything is somehow tied to politics and grievances now with some people, even in just ordinary life.  You can’t have conversations about the weather without them turning it to politics and culture war.  Many of his supporters are angrier and more combative in all aspects of life than people used to be.   Morality has been set aside.  Selfishness is now a virtue, and people embrace the idea that the ends justify the means.  He’s quite influential on daily life, actually.  
I was a Republican my entire life until Trump, and I don’t even recognize many of these people anymore - including some family members.  He stokes really negative impulses in people and is destructive to happiness, even to his supporters who substitute rage for joy.  This has been like a national Faustian bargain.  
I agree with everything here to some extent or another...

And I still contend We the People are responsible for us. Trump is a symptom. He is a guy with a platform and a bunch of people are happy to hear him. He could not be President next year and just keep tweeting... People will be happy to fight about it.

The Texas GOP has totally bent the knee to Trump. They will relentlessly antagonize the largest counties in Texas in order to please him. Very much political patronage. Anyone in a disaster area in a blue state is familiar with this. So yes.

• Hook 'Em 2

The thing is, who the President is shouldn't really affect you if things were working as intended.

The reason people go fucking nuts over these elections is because we've given the Federal government way too much power.  And the Commander-in-Chief has basically become the King-in-Chief. 

People should really be caring about their state and local elections and not, in Mack Brown's words, "scared to death" of how people in other states are voting because of how it will change which idiots are running D.C.

But here we are. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Redpuma said:

I'm not white and ive never felt threatened at any point during the last 5 presidencies 

Is this the year when we're all supposed to evacuate to canada ?

Does a CEO affect your job?
I worked at Apple before Jobs came back. I can say, yes, it affected me on a daily basis to have weak and unguided leaders. 

as president, Trump has absolutely made the top issues I care about worse:
Climate change
Universal health care 
Education
racial and gender equality 
immigration
world credibility

We sucked at all those pre-Trump.
Climate change is global and we've been one ofthe worst offenders (or non believers) since the idea came about.
We've never had it, but Obama did try for Universal healthcare.
What has any of the last 5 Presidents done for education? The internet has done far more than all of them combined.
What great equality just happened in 2017-2020? Racial and gender inequality is part of the fabric of our country...unfortunately
Immigration... I can see it. The visa program is in shambles. Are you not a citizen? Do you rely on immigrants specifically in your life?
World credibility has almost zero affect on us individually. That's a pride thing. It's an emotion. (I agree, but i recognize it has a limited real affect on life.)
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

The Texas GOP has totally bent the knee to Trump. They will relentlessly antagonize the largest counties in Texas in order to please him. Very much political patronage. Anyone in a disaster area in a blue state is familiar with this. So yes.
They will....

So have not.

13 minutes ago, Snacks said:
40 minutes ago, David Dennison said:
Hold up. You're black and you question whether a president can have an effect on peoples' lives? Seriously?

"can" was not the question.

Hold up. You're black and you question whether a president has an effect on peoples' lives?

Never really has. However, I work for a European based company and I'm in contact w/ folks from Europe on a weekly basis.  It's humiliating being the American in the conversation.  We are pitied and laughed at.  They literally tell the equivalent of aggy jokes but we are the punchline.  

Because of trump; America is the aggy of the earth.  That is fucking embarrassing.

21 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Never really has. However, I work for a European based company and I'm in contact w/ folks from Europe on a weekly basis.  It's humiliating being the American in the conversation.  We are pitied and laughed at.  They literally tell the equivalent of aggy jokes but we are the punchline.  

Because of trump; America is the aggy of the earth.  That is fucking embarrassing.

You're embarrassed by anything a European says  ?    You might have issues more than just worrying who resides in the WH.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

You're embarrassed by anything a European says  ?    You might have issues more than just worrying who resides in the WH.

Well, I value their opinions much more than yours and your ilk.   I respect my European peers; trump cunts?  Not so much. 

Edited by DigglerontheHoof
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, DigglerontheHoof said:

Well, I value their opinions much more than yours and your ilk.   I respect my European peers; trump cunts?  Not so much. 

Ilk ?  hahahahahahah, Jesus, Europe has been the cause of most of the strife through out western history. If you care what they say you've got self esteem (along with some others probably) problems.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

hahahaha, you are one pathetic pussy.  Projection much?

You should go huddle under your bed before those bad Euros say something bad that hurts your wittle feewings... you poor wittle baby..

Edited by Onboard 2.0

1 minute ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Sounds like you have experience hiding under beds; probably in closets, too. 

Nah, I don't care what someone says, especially someone who isn't a resident of my country....  but you do you. Take a pillow with you under there.. you might be there a while.

2 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Nah, I don't care what someone says, especially someone who isn't a resident of my country....  but you do you. Take a pillow with you under there.. you might be there a while.

Really?  B/c all I heard from Reps before the 2016 election is how trump was going to make us respected by the world again.  The opposite has happened.  And, yes, when you work for a company for over a decade, you care what your peers think.

You talk tough from behind a keyboard, i assure you that would not be the case in person.

• Hook 'Em 1

Agree with the general thesis throughout here Snacks. I’m going to have a bunch of people on my team all upset when they figure out Biden won. One of my team members was like- Wulaw- why even bother doing ... if Biden wins. I was like- go be sad for 24 or 48 hours and then put your head down and get to work. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Really?  B/c all I heard from Reps before the 2016 election is how trump was going to make us respected by the world again.  The opposite has happened.  And, yes, when you work for a company for over a decade, you care what your peers think.

How does your their opinion of POTUS affect YOU on a personal level?  (That's the question behind this thread)

Do you judge your coworkers differently because they live under BoJo or Orban?

1 hour ago, Snacks said:

We sucked at all those pre-Trump.
Climate change is global and we've been one ofthe worst offenders (or non believers) since the idea came about.
We've never had it, but Obama did try for Universal healthcare.
What has any of the last 5 Presidents done for education? The internet has done far more than all of them combined.
What great equality just happened in 2017-2020? Racial and gender inequality is part of the fabric of our country...unfortunately
Immigration... I can see it. The visa program is in shambles. Are you not a citizen? Do you rely on immigrants specifically in your life?
World credibility has almost zero affect on us individually. That's a pride thing. It's an emotion. (I agree, but i recognize it has a limited real affect on life.)

A President who believed in science and wore a fucking mask would have prevented at least 100,000 deaths, maybe 200,000.  Pull your head out of your ass.  It does matter.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1