The Biden Cabinet

Bullneck

36 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Gina Raimondo (RI Gov.) said she will not be serving as HHS Secretary. 

Thank goodness.

Lujan is an intermountain west Democrat (sagebrush populist Democratic Party) and has support from the Hispanic Conference. She is protective of energy interests (pro-fracking), but a much better choice than Raimondo. 

Vivek Murthy supports M4A. 

1 hour ago, washparkhorn said:

Thank goodness.

Lujan is an intermountain west Democrat (sagebrush populist Democratic Party) and has support from the Hispanic Conference. She is protective of energy interests (pro-fracking), but a much better choice than Raimondo. 

Vivek Murthy supports M4A. 

Lujan Grisham just took the Democratic Governors Association Chair for this cycle, so you can cross her off a Cabinet position. 

3 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Who is left for HHS with Grisham, Raimondo, and Murthy out?

Probably a professional, competent person we've never heard of.   No guarantee MLG is out, but she has seemingly fallen out of favor earlier this week but the CHC is still pushing for her. 

Politico says: Later Thursday, Lujan Grisham was elected chair of the Democratic Governors Association, which was seen as a formality and doesn't preclude her from joining Biden's Cabinet. She had been in line for the position as the governors group's previous vice chair.

13 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Probably a professional, competent person we've never heard of.   No guarantee MLG is out, but she has seemingly fallen out of favor earlier this week but the CHC is still pushing for her. 

Politico says: Later Thursday, Lujan Grisham was elected chair of the Democratic Governors Association, which was seen as a formality and doesn't preclude her from joining Biden's Cabinet. She had been in line for the position as the governors group's previous vice chair.

10 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

This is so refreshing.

fingers crossed. I still believe Biden has the ability to form a balanced government that works for real change.

I remain guardedly optimistic. 

Edited by washparkhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, washparkhorn said:

fingers crossed.

it's a good news/bad news situation.

trump set the bar so low that simply a qualified, competent, non-criminal is a huge upgrade.  at the same time, those could be some uninspired selections that leave much to be desired by many who pulled the lever for biden.

• Hook 'Em 1

Caretaker President for 30 months and then we assess efficacy. [Serenity now.] 

But let's get the pests out of the current White House - together. We are powerful - together.

Centrists need to reexamine the nation's economy and offer solutions that comport with modern economic principles. We are laggards and the neglect is readily apparent to the world - who look to us for leadership.  

Newsom is about to be the most powerful man and have lots and lots of new friends. 

Appoint a new senator, appoint the AG of the largest state in the country and, depending on who he picks for senate, possibly appoint another statewide officer 

I’m thrilled!

There’s some grumbling about it not being Sally Yates but I think there’s a couple of issues with her being AG that are keeping her from being the choice.

1, her history of being very vocal about Trump’s crimes and her being fired by Trump aren’t going to be a good look if the DoJ are going to be investigating and prosecuting those crimes. She’s going to look biased no matter how ethical she actually is.

2, her confirmation by the Senate will be a war.

Jones’s background in investigating and prosecuting white supremacists coupled with his appearance of not being vocally anti-Trump make him a great choice. Add in his relationships in the Senate - on both sides - and he is the best choice.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

I’m thrilled!

There’s some grumbling about it not being Sally Yates but I think there’s a couple of issues with her being AG that are keeping her from being the choice.

1, her history of being very vocal about Trump’s crimes and her being fired by Trump aren’t going to be a good look if the DoJ are going to be investigating and prosecuting those crimes. She’s going to look biased no matter how ethical she actually is.

2, her confirmation by the Senate will be a war.

Jones’s background in investigating and prosecuting white supremacists coupled with his appearance of not being vocally anti-Trump make him a great choice. Add in his relationships in the Senate - on both sides - and he is the best choice.

Agreed. That’s why I don’t like her or Preet - way too biased and hard to confirm. 

Doug is a good man, close to Joe and would be awesome as AG

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Doug is a good man, close to Joe and would be awesome as AG

No problem with Jones for many reasons. One would assume an Alabamian would be in favor of the war on drugs. Jones, thankfully, doesn't fit the mold on the issue.

https://www.civilized.life/articles/alabama-senator-doug-jones-friend-of-marijuana/

Spoiler

But turns out there's another reason to celebrate Jones: He's an ally of marijuana.

Jones came out as pro-marijuana during his campaign against Moore. HuffingtonPost collected all of the stances taken by both candidates in the race, including cannabis. Jones says he's in favor of legalizing medical marijuana and believes recreational use should be decriminalized. Moore, on the other hand, said he believed states should decide their own laws when it comes to medical marijuana and had made no statements on recreational, which probably means he's against it.

Ironically, the reason why the Senate seat was open in Alabama in the first place is because Jeff Sessions, who held the seat previously, resigned in order to take over as Attorney General. So now one of marijuana's fiercest critics in the Senate has been replaced by someone who's in favor of medical marijuana and decriminalization. 

Edited by washparkhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Did Biden put a Native American in one of the spots they were hoping for? I haven't kept up as much as I should but I haven't seen that he has. Really poor form if not

Interior still hasn’t been picked. If not Deb Haaland (Laguna Pueblo), Michael Connor is high on the list and he is Taos Pueblo. 

Edited by Js1
  • Like 1

Perfect  - What McKinsey helped to create, McKinsey can help dismantle. Very important position.

I believe this is perfect for the United States if we continue to follow the Obama pivot (disengagement and defense-oriented to China's financial and military risks). The change in stance is the right policy and this is the third President to follow the policy.  

Edited by washparkhorn

Hmm. Ballsy pick. I like it. It really shows an investment in Pete, and really allows him to break in a new skillset. Not sure it’s the best for America in the short term, but maybe in the long term. But I’d prefer him doing this over languishing somewhere here with a Meh profile and not really helping him grow. Surround him with experienced people and cut him loose. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Shocking!

Glad they figured out which defense contractor would get a seat at the table. 

He's also going to need a congressional waiver to serve because he hasn't been retired seven years.

Apparently something of a comfort hire for Biden because he knows and trusts him, but lots of downside and possibly a tough confirmation, as if they all won't be.

13 hours ago, Js1 said:

Interior still hasn’t been picked. If not Deb Haaland (Laguna Pueblo), Michael Connor is high on the list and he is Taos Pueblo. 

This could be good to reinstate Bears Ears and Grand Staircase Escalante to their former boundaries.  I'm going to be hard pressed to be ok with passing over Tom Udall if he's interested though.

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Hmm. Ballsy pick. I like it. It really shows an investment in Pete, and really allows him to break in a new skillset. Not sure it’s the best for America in the short term, but maybe in the long term. But I’d prefer him doing this over languishing somewhere here with a Meh profile and not really helping him grow. Surround him with experienced people and cut him loose. 

I really don't get the love for Pete. He's gay Joe Biden as far as I can tell.