11 year old boy dies during school walkout...

vox

http://www.kvia.com/news/el-paso/umc-announces-memorial-for-parkland-middle-school-boy-struck-and-killed/732734213

Full text here:

EL PASO, Texas - University Medical Center has announced a memorial for the Parkland Middle School student struck and killed Friday. 

Police say 11-year-old Jonathan Benko was taking part in Parkland Middle School's organized walkout when he and a group of students left the designated walkout area. Police say around 10:30 Friday morning, the group crossed Loop 375 then attempted to cross it again. Benko was the last in the group to cross and was struck by a Ford F150. 

Benko sustained serious injuries and was taken to UMC where he died. 

Officials say Benko's mother works as a Registered Nurse in UMC's Emergency Department and his uncle, Michael Benko, is also an employee at UMC, where he works as a Respiratory Therapist.

“All of us at UMC are heartbroken by the loss of a child belonging to one of our Associates, especially a child as young as Jonathan,” said Jacob Cintron, UMC President & CEO. “As a father, I can only imagine how hard this must be for Ashley and her family. She is also one of our family at UMC. Our support, thoughts and prayers are with her and her family throughout this difficult time.”

The UMC Foundation has set up a memorial fund in Benko's honor. Contributions to the family can be made by check here:

UMC Foundation
C/O Jonathan Benko Fund
1400 Hardaway, Ste. 220
El Paso, TX, 79903

Contributions paid online can be made HERE.

Mt. Carmel Funeral Home has agreed to donate funeral services to the family.

Two questions for everyone:

1. Why in the jesus-fuck was a middle-school kid let out of school to "protest"?
  2. If we value even 1 life, it's time to ban all F150's, correct?  They are too dangerous.
  • Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, vox said:
  1. Why in the jesus-fuck was a middle-school kid let out of school to "protest"?
  2. If we value even 1 life, it's time to ban all F150's, correct?  They are too dangerous.

1) Read your own article.

Police say 11-year-old Jonathan Benko was taking part in Parkland Middle School's organized walkout when he and a group of students left the designated walkout area.

2) No, not correct. No one advocates this. it's a brain-dead stupid fucking argument that no one is actually making.

53 minutes ago, Texas_Rocks said:

Adults should not be using clueless middle schoolers as pawns in their personal off/on campus war against whatever the fuck.

Which adults were using this boy and his group that decided to run back and forth across a highway?

• Like 1

Celebrate freedom.

and fuck you to all the bleedin hearts who embraced the walk outs as some kind of fantastic demonstration of political activism.

Edited by slorch

Celebrate freedom.

and fuck you to all the bleedin hearts who embraced the walk outs as some kind of fantastic demonstration of political activism.

How you end up there...from a story of a kid who skipped out of the activity and got hit by a car...wow.

Because we sure know that kids don’t get hit by cars fucking around before and after school. Nope. Only protestor kids get hit by cars.
  • Like 1

Four killed, seven injured in AR-15 shooting at Waffle House in Tennessee...

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/crime/2018/04/22/antioch-waffle-house-shooting-gun-used-ar-15/540276002/

... time to bring out the idiotic argument about a truck and see if we can distract.

Edited by TexLonghorn
Had to increase the number of injured for accuracy

1 hour ago, Brian Fantana said:

Why is peaceful protest bad again?

peaceful demonstration/ protest is fantastic, but you don't get to just say "Fuck it" to the other responsibilities in life.

Edited by slorch

7 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Bullshit you don’t.  

You just have to deal with the consequences.

I do it all the time.

I can agree with that.  You're also an alleged adult...

The politicization of the kids in this is the true travesty and perversion of logic.

Who doesn't want safer schools?

"Oh we can achieve that by further restricting access to ammunition and firearms from people who are not going to commit this crime anyway.  Oh we are helping society and killing the 2nd amendment simultaneously.  ooh we touch ourselves at this democracy in action moment."

Focus on safer schools.

Leave guns out of it.  Law abiding citizens already do.

1 hour ago, TexLonghorn said:

Four killed, seven injured in AR-15 shooting at Waffle House in Tennessee...

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/crime/2018/04/22/antioch-waffle-house-shooting-gun-used-ar-15/540276002/

... time to bring out the idiotic argument about a truck and see if we can distract.

Or we can talk about how this guy was arrested by the Secret Service, had his firearms authorization revoked and his guns seized. Of course, the IL cops then gave the guns back to his dad.

And fuck you 2nd amendment assholes. You drape yourselves in the Constitution like it's the fucking Bible and infallible. The framers knew that it would need to be a living document to adapt to the changes in the world. Hell your precious 2nd amendment is just that. Although I'm sure you would like to go back to a time where women couldn't vote and blacks only counted for 3/5th of a man.

• Like 3

Schools are extremely safe.  It wouldn't be a bad idea for our country to actually look at some of the data on school gun violence or gun violence overall.  We are living in very safe times.  

https://www.npr.org/2018/03/15/593831564/the-disconnect-between-perceived-danger-in-u-s-schools-and-reality

The Parkland shooting last month has energized student activists, who are angry and frustrated over gun violence. But it's also contributed to the impression that school shootings are a growing epidemic in America.

In truth, they're not.

"Schools are safer today than they had been in previous decades," says James Alan Fox, a professor of criminology at Northeastern University who has studied the phenomenon of mass murder since the 1980s.

Fox and doctoral student Emma Fridel crunched the numbers, and the results should come as a relief to parents.

First, while multiple-victim shootings in general are on the rise, that's not the case in schools. There's an average of about one a year — in a country with more than 100,000 schools.

"There were more back in the '90s than in recent years," says Fox. "For example, in one school year — 1997-98 — there were four multiple-victim shootings in schools."

Second, the overall number of gunshot victims at schools is also down. According to Fox's numbers, back in the 1992-93 school year, about 0.55 students per million were shot and killed; in 2014-15, that rate was closer to 0.15 per million

"The difference is the impression, the perception that people have," Fox says — and he traces that to cable news and social media. "Today we have cell phone recordings of gunfire that play over and over and over again. So it's that the impression is very different. That's why people think things are a lot worse now, but the statistics say otherwise."

Other experts agree. Garen Wintemute is an emergency room physician who leads a prominent gun violence research program at the University of California, Davis. He says school shootings, specifically, are not epidemic.

"Schools are just about the safest place in the world for kids to be," Wintemute says. "Although each one of them is horrific and rivets the entire nation for a period of time, mass shootings at schools are really very uncommon, and they are not increasing in frequency. What's changed is how aware we are of them."

But Wintemute believes mass shootings — whether in schools or elsewhere — are increasing social pressure to address the far more common threat of small-scale shootings, which mostly happen in private.

"For school-age kids, the kind of shooting we most need to worry about is the kind of shooting that occurs off the school grounds," Wintemute says. "The best way to prevent school shootings is to prevent shootings in general."

He endorses broader gun safety measures, such as "red flag" laws, which give authorities the ability to remove firearms temporarily from people deemed to be threatening violence to themselves or others.

Wintemute and Fox say that by focusing so narrowly on school shootings, we run the risk of turning schools into fortresses. Fox says, given the statistics, it's misguided to put kids through metal detectors and active shooter drills, and he doesn't like the new calls for armed teachers.

"Most adults wouldn't want their workplaces to look like what some of the schools are looking like, now," Fox says.

But the perception of danger puts school administrators in a difficult position.

Marysville Pilchuck High School, about an hour north of Seattle, has experienced the tragedy of a shooting, and the statistical rarity is no comfort.

On Oct. 24, 2014, a freshman shot five other students in the cafeteria, killing four, before killing himself. Ever since, administrators have struggled to restore the students' sense of safety.

"Probably, every day it pops into your head at one time or another," says acting district superintendent Jason Thompson. "You think, 'Okay, we've had our shooting,' right? It's human to think that way. But I think a lot of times for me, it's like, 'This could happen again.'"

For the last three years, the district has wrestled with how to make schools safer, without going overboard. Local voters defeated a bond levy which would have remodeled the open-style campus into a more secure, single-entrance configuration. So the school remains very open. There's a new security camera, a security guard near the entrance, and visitors are told to wear a badge on campus, but there are no new fences or metal detectors.

Greg Dennis, who runs security for the district, says it's hard to reach consensus on what precautions to take.

"From a parent's perspective, they say, 'Holy cow, why aren't we doing this? Why aren't we building prisons, why aren't we building moats?'" Dennis says. "And the next person says, 'We can't do that! This is public property, you have to make it accessible, how do we use the playgrounds on the weekend?'"

Without the money to rebuild the school, administrators have opted to emphasize training and preparedness. They try to think tactically — for instance, since the shooting in Parkland, they've been reconsidering how to conduct fire drills, to make kids less of a target to potential attackers as they leave their classes.

But Marysville staffers also try to keep the risk in perspective. Dennis says he tries to learn security lessons from other shootings, but he doesn't want to obsess about them.

Madysen Pruss, who's part of a federally-funded counseling program at the school, says that's also her message to students when another shooting is in the news.

"We talk about how it's publicized through social media," Pruss says. "So it makes the threat feel greater than it is."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

How do you feel about military recruiters at high schools?

I don't see the military as a political organization. It is representative of our country as a whole. As long as they are not 'targeting' or 'profiling' if you will, I have zero problem with sharing job opportunities with students. 

Full disclosure, I was recruited as a high school Senior and hated the recruiting experience.  That was in 1988. A lot has changed since then. 

Seperating the military factor, I am all about job fairs and occupational opportunities for students. If it is above board and constructive, I am good with it. 

Edit: I am not dismissing the professional politics within the military, but rather the favoring of one party over another. 

Edited by slorch

3 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

1) Read your own article.

Police say 11-year-old Jonathan Benko was taking part in Parkland Middle School's organized walkout when he and a group of students left the designated walkout area.

2) No, not correct. No one advocates this. it's a brain-dead stupid fucking argument that no one is actually making.

Which adults were using this boy and his group that decided to run back and forth across a highway?

The ones who scheduled the “protest” that he was out of school for. 

You must work for Parkland if you’re already blaming the kid for getting killed.

• Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, Grade of D as in David said:

And fuck you 2nd amendment assholes. You drape yourselves in the Constitution like it's the fucking Bible and infallible. The framers knew that it would need to be a living document to adapt to the changes in the world. Hell your precious 2nd amendment is just that. Although I'm sure you would like to go back to a time where women couldn't vote and blacks only counted for 3/5th of a man.

Free speech should be limited to that which everyone agrees.   Damn that Constitution. 

Where is the outcry about taking away our knives on planes? Don't we have a right to defend ourselves and the rights of a free State at 35,000 feet?

Oh that's right, 4 planes we're hijacked almost 20 years ago so we've completely lost that right. You want to know why? Because one plane being hijacked is one too fucking many, and we must make sacrifices for the greater good. 

Hell there have been 6 school shootings since Parkland which was just 2 months ago. You know what, one school shooting is too many as well.

Factor in all of the other shootings, Vegas, Waffle House, and the tens of thousands of cases of gun related violence and deaths that occur annually in this country and you don't think it's time to scale things back a little bit?

What the fuck is wrong with you people?

5 hours ago, Texas_Rocks said:

Tragic. Many people predicted that something like this would happen.

Adults should not be using clueless middle schoolers as pawns in their personal off/on campus war against whatever the fuck.

During the protest in support of the teacher walk out in Oklahoma, a teacher took out time to have "extra-curricular activities" with a student...

Oklahoma teacher had sex with student before and after statewide school walkout

Keri Hoffman, 35, was arrested for raping one of her students.

(CLINTON POLICE DEPARTMENT)
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Tuesday, April 10, 2018, 6:29 PM

An Oklahoma middle school teacher was arrested for raping one of her students multiple times — including before and after a teacher walkout at the state Capitol.

Keri Hoffman, 35, was arrested Sunday after she confessed to having a sexual relationship with the 15-year-old boy, KFOR.com reported.

The algebra teacher reportedly drove with her husband to the Clinton Police Department, where she described using Facebook messenger to communicate with the teenager and make plans to meet up for sex.

She allegedly admitted to having sex with the boy multiple times beginning March 30. The illegal encounters allegedly took place inside the teacher’s car and her father’s detached garage.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/oklahoma-teacher-arrested-raping-student-day-walkout-article-1.3926705

Ban Oklahoma teachers..?

As far as this story in El Paso, it is truly sad to hear of a young life lost...

The teachers, although I support their effort in looking for raises (as there is a planned walk out in Arizona), there needs to either be designated areas to keep track of students, similar to when there are tornado/ fire drills, or the students remain out of school for the day at the responsibility of the parent/ guardian...

5 hours ago, slorch said:

Celebrate freedom.

As usual, blow me.  My middle school kid took a city bus to the capital, participated, and took the bus back.  If you want to impugn my parenting, I cordially invite you to come to Austin and do it to my face.

• Like 1

Why would I deny you your parental orgasm?  Lol.  Knock yourself out.  You have achieved ultimate dissent...I guess. 

I've raised two to cancel him out. 

Carry the fuck on...

2 minutes ago, slorch said:

Why would I deny you your parental orgasm?  Lol.  Knock yourself out.  You have achieved ultimate dissent...I guess. 

I've raised two to cancel him out. 

Carry the fuck on...

The country weeps for the dipshits you raised.

17 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

*starts a thread politicizing the death of a child*

GOD DAMN LIBERALS POLITICIZING THE DEATHS OF CHILDREN!

I guess politicizing is what got us TSA and no knives on the plane? Or was it a genuine concern for safety of fellow citizens?

This isn't about liberals or gun nuts, its about common sense. 

GOD DAMN dumbasses. 

Edited by whatup

3 hours ago, Grade of D as in David said:

See Jimmy jazz that's the problem. Slorch, honey boo-boos mom, and their ilk are going to outbreed us.

Image result for idiocracy family tree gif

So in the future, being of elite bloodlines will be in reference to intelligence, rather than finances...

tumblr_og8zotvSxo1ulkd8uo3_500.gif

• Like 1

3 hours ago, whatup said:

I guess politicizing is what got us TSA and no knives on the plane? Or was it a genuine concern for safety of fellow citizens?

This isn't about liberals or gun nuts, its about common sense. 

GOD DAMN dumbasses. 

Please point out which amendment guarantees the right to a dinner knife on an airplane.