11 year old boy dies during school walkout...

vox

Just now, Jim Tom Pinch said:

Please point out which amendment guarantees the right to a dinner knife on an airplane.

Like many many many others have pointed out before that we have a right to free speech but if you scream bomb at an airport you are going to get arrested for it. 

Common sense should prevail but muh guns crowd seem to lack it. 

Constitution isn't some infallible document, it was framed by humans and hence was the product of its times. It is outdated at this point with regards to the 2nd amendment.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jim Tom Pinch said:

Please point out which amendment guarantees the right to a dinner knife on an airplane.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. 

Or do knives not count?  Ain’t a word excluding airplanes in that whole text either. 

4 hours ago, whatup said:

Like many many many others have pointed out before that we have a right to free speech but if you scream bomb at an airport you are going to get arrested for it. 

Common sense should prevail but muh guns crowd seem to lack it. 

Constitution isn't some infallible document, it was framed by humans and hence was the product of its times. It is outdated at this point with regards to the 2nd amendment.  

Restricting the liberty of folks who already demonstrate the responsibility with which it is practiced is not a cure-all for man's fuckedupedness.

it's something idiots cling to to feel better at night.

16 hours ago, Grade of D as in David said:

122 shot dead at school since Columbine.

Slorch where is your outrage about those lost lives? 

Planned Parenthood kills 300,000 babies a year...where is your outrage?

Edited by Shinesintx
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Shinesintx said:

Planned Parenthood kills 300,000 babies a year...where is your outrage?

Look you gun nuts lost this round. Maybe wait for the next school shooting and this time write down the NRA talking points. It's painfully obvious you have neither the intelligence to come up with your own nor the ability for rote memorization. 

If you want to have a discussion about abortion start a new thread and don't thread shit here simply because you can't come up with a better argument. 

One last thought about PP, they give out millions of condoms helping to prevent unwanted pregnancies as well. They also provide or refer over 750,000 mammogram and another 750,000 pelvic screenings for cancer. I guess that's unimportant.

The real important factor is that legal abortions help lower income and minorities and the Republicans can't have that. If you don't think rich people we're having abortions before roe you are a special kind of stupid.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Grade of D as in David said:

Get the fuck out of here with your anti abortion bullshit. 

Let me guess, next you want to arm the fetuses.

I asked a legit question. 300,000 a year vs 120 since columbine...why no outrage towards the 300,000?

2 hours ago, Grade of D as in David said:

Look you gun nuts lost this round. Maybe wait for the next school shooting and this time write down the NRA talking points. It's painfully obvious you have neither the intelligence to come up with your own nor the ability for rote memorization. 

If you want to have a discussion about abortion start a new thread and don't thread shit here simply because you can't come up with a better argument. 

One last thought about PP, they give out millions of condoms helping to prevent unwanted pregnancies as well. They also provide or refer over 750,000 mammogram and another 750,000 pelvic screenings for cancer. I guess that's unimportant.

The real important factor is that legal abortions help lower income and minorities and the Republicans can't have that. If you don't think rich people we're having abortions before roe you are a special kind of stupid.

Lost? Shit I've acquired a few more scary guns since.  Guns that will not leave my possession in your lifetime, even if you think I shouldn't have them. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Texas73 said:

So people believe that school walkout protests are organized by political parties? Trump loves the poorly educated. Critical thinking skills are going to hell.

No way...

A bunch of 10-11 year old kids put it all together.

7 minutes ago, Rip76 said:

No way...

10-11?  Nope.

16?

Yep.

The National School Walkout was started by Lane Murdoch, a 16-year-old who grew up just 20 miles from Sandy Hook Elementary School – where 20 students were killed in a mass shooting in 2012.

The movement began as a Change.org petition following the Feb. 14 shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. More than 250,000 people have signed the petition, and there are over 2,000 protests registered.

No way...

I had a front row seat to how the Austin one came together. That was students from across the district. A bunch of kids under 18 put an orderly event together with 8K high school kids in physical attendance and nothing bad happened. Pretty impressive actually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I had a front row seat to how the Austin one came together. That was students from across the district. A bunch of kids under 18 put an orderly event together with 8K high school kids in physical attendance and nothing bad happened. Pretty impressive actually.

The one at my wife's school was organized by the district.  It featured 2 admins, 5 students, a designated area of parking lot, and lasted 10 minutes.

Not as impressive.

4 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Lost? Shit I've acquired a few more scary guns since.  Guns that will not leave my possession in your lifetime, even if you think I shouldn't have them. 

What if he lives longer than you? Wait, you're going to be buried with your guns, aren't you? 

11 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Well, you mean "a bunch of kids under 18 and George Soros," right?  

That's one of many things that baffles me...if a movement on the right springs up, it's clearly organic and reflects the will of the people.  If anything left of the far right springs up, well, it's all fake, created by George Soros.  There are, apparently, ZERO beliefs or movement left of Donald Trump that are actually organic or believed in or motivated by anyone EXCEPT George Soros.  What a fucking worldview.  "If it's a movement that agrees with me, it's clearly thoughtful and natural; if it's a movement that disagrees with me, it's all orchestrated by a shadowy evil guy in Hungary."  It must be quite easy to move through the world thinking that nobody ACTUALLY disagrees with you -- they were just manipulated by this one evil "globalist" guy.

The one at my wife's school was organized by the district.  It featured 2 admins, 5 students, a designated area of parking lot, and lasted 10 minutes.

Not as impressive.

Obviously. The district gave all the kids who walked out an unexcused absence and they knew it in advance. That’s crucial.

it’s not civil disobedience without the disobedience.

13 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Well, you mean "a bunch of kids under 18 and George Soros," right?  

That's one of many things that baffles me...if a movement on the right springs up, it's clearly organic and reflects the will of the people.  If anything left of the far right springs up, well, it's all fake, created by George Soros.  There are, apparently, ZERO beliefs or movement left of Donald Trump that are actually organic or believed in or motivated by anyone EXCEPT George Soros.  What a fucking worldview.  "If it's a movement that agrees with me, it's clearly thoughtful and natural; if it's a movement that disagrees with me, it's all orchestrated by a shadowy evil guy in Hungary."  It must be quite easy to move through the world thinking that nobody ACTUALLY disagrees with you -- they were just manipulated by this one evil "globalist" guy.

18 year-olds did not organize nor fund the event is Austin.  It's an impossibility.  When Bozo says "organized" he means "invited their friends."

42 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Obviously. The district gave all the kids who walked out an unexcused absence and they knew it in advance. That’s crucial.

it’s not civil disobedience without the disobedience.

The district's thought was that IF it was going to happen they might as well control it.  Judging by numbers, it wouldn't have happened at all without their approval.

3 minutes ago, JBJ said:

18 year-olds did not organize nor fund the event is Austin.  It's an impossibility.  When Bozo says "organized" he means "invited their friends."

What funding was required?  My daughter headed up to the Capitol and carried a homemade sign.  You know it doesn't cost jack shit to have a public demonstration, right?  This wasn't a fucking Rolling Stones concert with a laser light show and shit.

4 minutes ago, JBJ said:

The district's thought was that IF it was going to happen they might as well control it.  Judging by numbers, it wouldn't have happened at all without their approval.

How does giving every kid who went an unexcused absence "approval?"  What more was the District supposed to do?  "Hey, kids, we know that if you skip school for part of a day for any reason, it's an unexcused absence, but if you do it THIS Friday, well, you''ll be beaten with a cat-o-nine-tails" -- is that it?  The District had a policy on skipping.  It enforced that policy.  Yeah, KNOWING that a LARGE number was going to be taking part, they took measures to keep the group of kids safe, but seriously, WTF would you have had he district do?

You really can't accept the idea that teenagers can think for themselves and have an organic movement, can you?  Are you really that fucking stupid?  Teenagers have been acting in quickly-organized mobs since the Beatles came to the US, and surely before.  It's not that fucking hard, particularly with online presence and smartphones.  And they damned well think for themselves -- I live in a house with two of them, and they think for themselves plenty.  And quite often, it does not agree with their parents' thinking.

Edited by Brisketexan

An MOT plan with rolling closures requires a PE seal.  ADT approval would have to be expedited, which means you are using an engineering firm with a relationship.  I don't think ADT pre-qualifies (TxDoT doesn't IF you have a PE seal). Someone also hired event security (through APD), a TTC company, inspection for the TTC.

There was easily $100grand sunk into this.

Edited by JBJ

2 minutes ago, JBJ said:

An MOT plan with rolling closures requires a PE seal.  ADT approval would have to be expedited, which means you are using an engineering firm with a relationship.  I don't think ADT pre-qualifies (TxDoT doesn't IF you have a PE seal). Someone hired event security, a TTC company, inspection for the TTC.

Are you serious?

I work downtown.  I've seen events of this nature numerous times, by numerous groups.  I can assure you, they didn't sink $100k into it.

But go on with your bad self.  There's clearly no movement that disagrees with your thinking that isn't funded by GLOBALIST BILLIONNAIRE GEORGE SOROS.

SMDH.

Just now, Brisketexan said:

Are you serious?

I work downtown.  I've seen events of this nature numerous times, by numerous groups.  I can assure you, they didn't sink $100k into it.

But go on with your bad self.  There's clearly no movement that disagrees with your thinking that isn't funded by GLOBALIST BILLIONNAIRE GEORGE SOROS.

SMDH.

I've done work in downtown Austin.  I know what it requires and how much it costs.

1 minute ago, JBJ said:

I've done work in downtown Austin.  I know what it requires and how much it costs.

And you're telling me that every group that has a rally down at the capitol is into it for $100k?  That's flat out bullshit.

Do you believe that this movement is organic, or do you believe it''s funded by a shadowy group of evildoers?

Fucking ridiculous.  Seriously, if you want to piss off this generation of voters even more, keep characterizing them as tools of a secretive Hungarian Billionaire because they clearly didn't decide on anything on their own.

Do you think that there's ANY political movement or belief out there that isn't orchestrated by Soros and crew?

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

And you're telling me that every group that has a rally down at the capitol is into it for $100k?  That's flat out bullshit.

Do you believe that this movement is organic, or do you believe it''s funded by a shadowy group of evildoers?

Fucking ridiculous.  Seriously, if you want to piss off this generation of voters even more, keep characterizing them as tools of a secretive Hungarian Billionaire because they clearly didn't decide on anything on their own.

Do you think that there's ANY political movement or belief out there that isn't orchestrated by Soros and crew?

Well, not every event affects traffic or requires security.  You and I can make a sign and stand on the sidewalk outside City Hall for virtually free.

There is an element that is organic (the people who show up).  There is an element that puts the infrastructure in place so that people can show up.  And in this case it is Bloomberg, not Soros, he hasn't been exactly shy about his contributions.

2 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Well, not every event affects traffic or requires security.  You and I can make a sign and stand on the sidewalk outside City Hall for virtually free.

There is an element that is organic (the people who show up).  There is an element that puts the infrastructure in place so that people can show up.  And in this case it is Bloomberg, not Soros, he hasn't been exactly shy about his contributions.

Do you hold this belief about all political/policy movements?  Or just those on "the left?"

I'm fascinated by the proposition that demonstrations only happen because sinister evil libruls with billions fund them, and without those guys, welll, it would be a conservative paradise without the masses being all riled up.  Do go on, and tell your tale.

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Do you hold this belief about all political/policy movements?  Or just those on "the left?"

I'm fascinated by the proposition that demonstrations only happen because sinister evil libruls with billions fund them, and without those guys, welll, it would be a conservative paradise without the masses being all riled up.  Do go on, and tell your tale.

Conservatives have their own piles of money for these things.  It takes both (money and grassroots) to be successful.  How far would the Tea Party have gotten without Koch organization?

27 minutes ago, JBJ said:

An MOT plan with rolling closures requires a PE seal.  ADT approval would have to be expedited, which means you are using an engineering firm with a relationship.  I don't think ADT pre-qualifies (TxDoT doesn't IF you have a PE seal). Someone also hired event security (through APD), a TTC company, inspection for the TTC.

Did adults with subject matter expertise help with some of the technical details? Sure. Among other things the school district worked with APD to make sure the environment was safe. This isn't a backyard musical. But the vast majority of this thing was done by high school kids. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova