the trump election lawsuit thread of dominance

henrygandorf

On 11/12/2020 at 4:42 PM, Brian Fantana said:

So this is from the Tech Rivals.com board:

image.png.51540dcf8fa77e05c3a2beeacd74d8d9.png

The idiot even posts using his real name. If any of you Dallas attorneys know him, feel free to ruin his day.

Any updates from this guy in how things are working out for him in PA?

I will say, seeing that the Moron Maga Brigade has filed another lawsuit makes me feel the way I did when we played Aggy in 96 (we won 51-15).  At one point, aggy ran a kick back for a TD.  And my buddy and I start cheering -- our peers turn to ask WTF?  We cheered "this is awesome!  We get the ball back and get to ram it down their throat!"

Every time these idiots tee it up, it's another chance for them to lose.  That's fun.

I really am fascinated by what happened with the Trump legal team.  Before the election, we were all told that Trump had amassed a great legal team.  They were deploying lawyers to all the battleground states to contest results.

That didn't seem like it was bullshit.  The Democrats sure didn't think it was bullshit--they built their own team in response.  The Democrats' team came at considerable expense; presumably that money would've been used on campaigning if they'd have thought that the "Trump legal team" was all a bluff.

And for their part, the Trump campaign team didn't seem to think it was bullshit.  For considerable parts of the last ten weeks of the election, it looked like they had given up actually campaigning and were instead focusing solely on the post-election legal fights.

So where the fuck is that team?

It's like they never even put it together.  They just spur-of-the-moment called Giuliani to throw something together around November 5.  And so you've got characters like Briscoe Cain flying in.  But neither Briscoe Cain nor anybody else seemed to have a fucking clue what Briscoe Cain (or anybody else) was going to do.

I mean--I take it for granted that all the money was stolen.  But what I really don't understand is that nobody seemed to be particularly cognizant of the grift.  It's all really weird.  And one day, I suspect it's going to make a fantastic Hulu Original.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I really am fascinated by what happened with the Trump legal team.  Before the election, we were all told that Trump had amassed a great legal team.  They were deploying lawyers to all the battleground states to contest results.
That didn't seem like it was bullshit.  The Democrats sure didn't think it was bullshit--they built their own team in response.  The Democrats' team came at considerable expense; presumably that money would've been used on campaigning if they'd have thought that the "Trump legal team" was all a bluff.
And for their part, the Trump campaign team didn't seem to think it was bullshit.  For considerable parts of the last ten weeks of the election, it looked like they had given up actually campaigning and were instead focusing solely on the post-election legal fights.
It's like they never even put it together.  They just spur-of-the-moment called Giuliani to throw something together around November 5.  And so you've got characters like Briscoe Cain flying in.  But neither Briscoe Cain nor anybody else seemed to have a fucking clue what Briscoe Cain (or anybody else) was going to do.
I mean--I take it for granted that all the money was stolen.  But what I really don't understand is that nobody seemed to be particularly cognizant of the grift.  It's all really weird.  And one day, I suspect it's going to make a fantastic Hulu Original.

I don't mean this as a shot or like I'm being clever, but the Cliff's Notes of your post is basically that you're surprised Trump talked a big game about something and failed at it.

I agree with you. It was a huge letdown in terms of expected vs. actual. I thought we were in for much worse.

But in hindsight, "a lot of talk and bluster followed by a complete joke of a follow through" was probably always the most likely outcome. It's Donald Trump, after all. Still, I'm glad that Biden and his team treated it as if it was a legitimate threat and not just Trump doing his usual carnival barking.
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, HenryJames said:

Interesting that asshole couched it in terms of what Fox News imagines it is, "Trump's presidency saved," and not what it really is: abusing the court system with a fucking clown show to achieve an authoritarian coup. These people are a fucking insult to the species.

6 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

I don't mean this as a shot or like I'm being clever, but the Cliff's Notes of your post is basically that you're surprised Trump talked a big game about something and failed at it.

I agree with you. It was a huge letdown in terms of expected vs. actual. I thought we were in for much worse.

But in hindsight, "a lot of talk and bluster followed by a complete joke of a follow through" was probably always the most likely outcome. It's Donald Trump, after all. Still, I'm glad that Biden and his team treated it as if it was a legitimate threat and not just Trump doing his usual carnival barking.

The other thing is that attorneys generally are passingly smart, especially those you might engage on quasi-constitutional election litigation.  They're not likely to be entirely delusional, with a few notable exceptions.

You kinda gotta think that maybe they talked to McGahn and some other high-profile Jones Day types who probably told them they didn't have a leg to stand on and that the cases would be borderline frivolous and in any event extremely unlikely to overturn any significant portion of the votes in any jurisdiction.

Then you get the clown show you've got.  I mean, this Scaringi character was describing how futile this shit was just days ago on whatever show he has, now he's leading the charge.  How does that even happen?

• Like 1

When you combine crappy lawyers with crappy claims with no evidence to support the crappy claims in a short amount of time what you get is Rudy sweating in front of a landscaping company spewing out bullshit and finding out by judges.

If it had not been a shitshow it would have been a miracle.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, hpslugga said:

Interesting that asshole couched it in terms of what Fox News imagines it is, "Trump's presidency saved," and not what it really is: abusing the court system with a fucking clown show to achieve an authoritarian coup. These people are a fucking insult to the species.

Great thread talking about this and everything that went right to keep this shit from having worked.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Gatorubet said:

...because Judges hate it.

I guess these lawyers are on their last nerve, that's certainly understandable, but yeah, that's getting a little too cheeky.

It's funny for the peanut gallery, but probably not a huge credibility enhancer with the Third Circuit.  Or even Brann or another judge who is clearly unimpressed with the Trumpco efforts.

Edited by TwiceHorn

35 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I think they had a more narrow plan that blew up in their face when they lost Georgia, Arizona, and Nevada. The USPS shenanigans were probably a bigger part of the plan and they counted on more of those being suppressed or arriving late enough to challenge. They ultimately thought it would all come down to Pennsylvania and their late change to the acceptance date would be something they could carry to the SC, which is why it was so important to seat ACB. 

10 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

I think they had a more narrow plan that blew up in their face when they lost Georgia, Arizona, and Nevada. The USPS shenanigans were probably a bigger part of the plan and they counted on more of those being suppressed or arriving late enough to challenge. They ultimately thought it would all come down to Pennsylvania and their late change to the acceptance date would be something they could carry to the SC, which is why it was so important to seat ACB. 

It seems that the USPS "conspiracy" fell apart.  Between Congress calling DeJoy on the carpet and effectively halting some of the shenanigans (*whacking his peepee* if you will) and the rank and file postal employees being seriously committed to their jobs during election season, that all came to naught.

Plus, I think all the publicity insured that mail-in voters made damn sure to get their ballots in early for the most part.

Also, thinking that ACB herself, or Kav, or Gorsuch were going to automagically rule in Trump's favor on whatever dogshit they could drag up there on cert because R or appointment is and was pretty delusional.

Edited by TwiceHorn

39 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

The other thing is that attorneys generally are passingly smart, especially those you might engage on quasi-constitutional election litigation.  They're not likely to be entirely delusional, with a few notable exceptions.

You kinda gotta think that maybe they talked to McGahn and some other high-profile Jones Day types who probably told them they didn't have a leg to stand on and that the cases would be borderline frivolous and in any event extremely unlikely to overturn any significant portion of the votes in any jurisdiction.

Then you get the clown show you've got.  I mean, this Scaringi character was describing how futile this shit was just days ago on whatever show he has, now he's leading the charge.  How does that even happen?

Addendum to this.  The vast majority of lawyers are smart enough not to be Q-type Trumpkins.  Much more likely to be cynical power grabbers in the style of Senate Republicans.  Brain worms are, of course, a possibility, but I think brain worms largely inhibit one's ability to do quality legal work.

Also, thinking that ACB herself, or Kav, or Gorsuch were going to automagically rule in Trump's favor on whatever dogshit they could drag up there on cert because R or appointment is and was pretty delusional.

I think Trump really thought that "his" Supreme Court was a magic bullet that would do whatever needed done to give him the election.

We know he's fundamentally unaware of how the system works. We also know that he views every human interaction as transactional. It makes total sense that he thought they owed him to rig the election for him.

It gruntles me to no end that the Supreme Court did the equivalent of refusing to pay him for previously rendered services. Beautiful ironic Schadenfreude.

*Price is right horn*
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

It seems that the USPS "conspiracy" fell apart.  Between Congress calling DeJoy on the carpet and effectively halting some of the shenanigans (*whacking his peepee* if you will) and the rank and file postal employees being seriously committed to their jobs during election season, that all came to naught.

Plus, I think all the publicity insured that mail-in voters made damn sure to get their ballots in early for the most part.

Again, I think they were counting on the very narrow argument that the extra 3 days Pennsylvania tacked on for mail-in ballots could be something they could get the Courts to throw out. Biden winning without needing those additional ballots blew that strategy up. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Ghost of LL said:

It's like they never even put it together.

The team was ready to go. A couple of relatively well-respected biggish firms entered on some cases. The Lawfare squads started shaming them (I think I did too) for taking cases subverting the United States. People started quitting firms and there were cancellation threats. The firms withdrew and he was left with this motley crew + Kenneth Starr. Starr knows how to run a case, but he lost his big firm support when they withdrew and it all went to shit. 

Lawtwitter is mean. 

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

The team was ready to go. A couple of relatively well-respected biggish firms entered on some cases. The Lawfare squads started shaming them (I think I did too) for taking cases subverting the United States. People started quitting firms and there were cancellation threats. The firms withdrew and he was left with this motley crew + Kenneth Starr. Starr knows how to run a case, but he lost his big firm support when they withdrew and it all went to shit. 

Lawtwitter is mean. 

True enough, re: Porter, Wright, Morris & Arthur.  But the work coming from that firm wasn't particularly spectacular.  Maybe not as craptacular as some of the stuff we've seen (Thor in Michigan and Kory in Arizona*), but they signed off on the Original Complaint in the case now before the Third Circuit that's grabbing so much attention.

The three-day extension thing is a Jones Day case, I believe, and that's a fairly valid case, but, as noted above, won't change the outcome.

*and I believe Snell & Wilmer was original counsel on that sharpie/tabulator nonsense in Arizona.

Election law, as far as "elections and electors" and Equal Protection is really esoteric, plus you have to have a really granular knowledge of the state election code and recent amendments. It's tough stuff.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I guess these lawyers are on their last nerve, that's certainly understandable, but yeah, that's getting a little too cheeky.

It's funny for the peanut gallery, but probably not a huge credibility enhancer with the Third Circuit.  Or even Brann or another judge who is clearly unimpressed with the Trumpco efforts.

No.  But the brief was an amicus brief filed by Democrats Abroad.  The briefs filed by the DNC and Counties being sued were both professional and well written.  I didn't read them real carefully, but what I did read was impressive--especially giving the time constraints they wrote those briefs under. And those briefs, which present cogent, well-written legal arguments only make trump's briefs look all the worse.

This has the look of a lawyer who is writing for himself and his own enjoyment.  Masturbation-through-legal-writing is never persuasive, and should be avoided.
I'm willing to allow it.

And Rule 11 should be invoked.

I want these assholes forced to pay fees incurred by defendants in fighting this bullshit. When you have zero evidence, a reasonable pre suit investigation was not done.

4 hours ago, HenryJames said:

once again, we see the ineffective nature of the "trump school of exaggeration".

"we think there were some irregularities in the results, and it's possible that some votes might've been cast illegally or inappropriately in certain counties, and we'd like to take a closer look to see what the results are."

this seems reasonable.

"this election has been stolen and even though the popular vote shows a 6mm deficit, we know trump won by an absolute landslide."

this seems chloe.

Could You Not Little Girl GIF

tell your fucking lies better and maybe people will take you seriously.

i'm just kidding, they won't.

• Hook 'Em 2