the trump election lawsuit thread of dominance

henrygandorf

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/15/us/politics/atlanta-prosecutor-trump-election.html?referringSource=articleShare

Prosecutors in Georgia appear increasingly likely to open a criminal investigation of President Trump over his attempts to overturn the results of the state’s 2020 election, an inquiry into offenses that would be beyond his federal pardon power.

The new Fulton County district attorney, Fani Willis, is already weighing whether to proceed, and among the options she is considering is the hiring of a special assistant from outside to oversee the investigation, according to people familiar with her office’s deliberations.

At the same time, David Worley, the lone Democrat on Georgia’s five-member election board, said this week that he would ask the board to make a referral to the Fulton County district attorney by next month. Among the matters he will ask prosecutors to investigate is a phone call Mr. Trump made in which he pressured Georgia’s secretary of state to overturn the state’s election results.

Jeff DiSantis, a district attorney spokesman, said the office had not taken any action to hire outside counsel and declined to comment further on the case.

Some veteran Georgia prosecutors saw said they believed Mr. Trump had clearly violated state law.

Spoiler

“If you took the fact out that he is the president of the United States and look at the conduct of the call, it tracks the communication you might see in any drug case or organized crime case,” said Michael J. Moore, the former United States attorney for the Middle District of Georgia. “It’s full of threatening undertone and strong-arm tactics.”

He said he believed there had been “a clear attempt to influence the conduct of the secretary of state, and to commit election fraud, or to solicit the commission of election fraud.”

The White House declined to comment.

Mr. Worley said in an interview that if no investigation had been announced by Feb. 10, the day of the election board’s next scheduled meeting he would make a motion for the board to refer the matter of Mr. Trump’s phone calls to Ms. Willis’s office. Mr. Worley, a lawyer, believes that such a referral should, under Georgia law, automatically prompt an investigation.

If the board declines to make a referral, Mr. Worley said he would ask Ms. Willis’s office himself to start an inquiry.

Brad Raffensperger, the secretary of state, is one of the members of the board and has said that he might have a conflict of interest in the matter, as Mr. Trump called him to exert pressure. That could lead him to recuse himself from any decisions on a referral by the board.

Mr. Banzhaf and other legal experts say Mr. Trump’s calls may run afoul of at least three state criminal laws. One is criminal solicitation to commit election fraud, which can be either a felony or a misdemeanor.

There is also a related conspiracy charge, which can be prosecuted either as a misdemeanor or a felony. A third law, a misdemeanor offense, bars “intentional interference” with another person’s “performance of election duties.”

“My feeling based on listening to the phone call is that they probably will see if they can get it past a grand jury,” said Joshua Morrison, a former senior assistant district attorney in Fulton County who once worked closely with Ms. Willis. “It seems clearly there was a crime committed.”

He noted that Fulton County, which encompasses much of Atlanta, is not friendly territory for Mr. Trump if he were to face a grand jury there. 

The inquiry, if it comes to pass, would be the second known criminal investigation of Mr. Trump outside of federal pardon power. He is already facing a criminal fraud inquiry into his finances by the Manhattan district attorney, Cyrus R. Vance Jr. Even Georgia’s Republican governor, Brian Kemp, does not have the power to pardon at the state level, though it’s not assured that he would issue a pardon anyway, given his frayed relationship with Mr. Trump. Nonetheless, in Georgia, pardons are handled by a state board.

The question of whether or not to charge the nation’s 45th president would present a unique challenge for any district attorney. Ms. Willis, who took office only days ago, is a seasoned prosecutor not unaccustomed to the limelight and criticism. A graduate of Howard University and the Emory University School of Law in the Atlanta area, she is the first woman, and the second African-American, to hold the job of top prosecutor in Fulton County, Georgia’s most populous, with more than one million residents.

Ms. Willis, 49, is known for the leading role she played in the 2015 convictions of 11 educators in a standardized-test cheating scandalthat rocked Atlanta’s public school system. She is taking office at a time when Atlanta, like other big cities, is seeing a rise in crime.

She must also deal with the high-profile fatal shooting of a Black man, Rayshard Brooks, by a white police officer in June 2020 and has said she will take a fresh look at charges brought against the officer by her predecessor.

Several calls by Mr. Trump to Georgia Republicans have raised alarms about election interference. In early December, he called Mr. Kemp to pressure him to call a special legislative session to overturn his election loss. Later that month, Mr. Trump called a state investigator and pressed the official to “find the fraud,” according to those with knowledge of the call.

The pressure campaign culminated in a Jan. 2 call by Mr. Trump to Mr. Raffensperger. “I just want to find 11,780 votes,” Mr. Trump said on the call, during which Mr. Raffensperger and his aides dismissed the president’s baseless claims of fraud. 

After the Jan. 2 call, a complaint was sent to the election board by Mr. Banzhaf. (Three of his law students once brought a complaint that forced former Vice President Spiro Agnew to pay back to the state of Maryland money he had received as kickbacks.) Mr. Banzhaf has subsequently supplemented his complaint to incorporate the call made to the Georgia election investigator.

The complaint was also sent to Ms. Willis, and to Chris Carr, the Republican attorney general; a spokesperson for Mr. Carr could not be reached Friday.

Of the three Republicans on the board besides Mr. Raffensperger, one of them, Rebecca N. Sullivan, did not return a phone call, and another, Anh Le, declined to comment. The third, T. Matthew Mashburn, said that it would be inappropriate for him to comment on how he would vote before the motion was presented.

However, Mr. Mashburn also said that he was troubled by some of the language Mr. Trump had used in his phone call to Mr. Raffensperger. Mr. Mashburn noted, in particular, a moment when the president told Mr. Raffensperger, “There’s nothing wrong with saying that, you know, um, that you’ve recalculated.”

“The use of the word ‘recalculate’ is very dangerous ground to tread,” Mr. Mashburn said.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, NAVY said:

I’m going to challenge not winning last night’s mega million lotto. I predict I won’t win tonight’s power ball because reasons and will be challenging that loss too. Just you wait 

If you need me to storm the lotto building and livestream myself proudly breaking things, just say the word, My Leader.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

People are saying I won. Bigly. Landslide lotto win. It’s not fair to have a lotto win stolen like this. Stop the lotto steal 

sure I didn’t get a single number, but how can I trust the lotto people, the worst people, to report the real winning numbers which I most certainly have ? 

Edited by NAVY

2 hours ago, NAVY said:

I’m going to challenge not winning last night’s mega million lotto. I predict I won’t win tonight’s power ball because reasons and will be challenging that loss too. Just you wait 

Release the Lotto Kraken????

On 1/15/2021 at 10:13 AM, Tuco said:

Well, he was a bit homo. It's Tennessee Williams, after all. 

Tennessee Williams was supposedly very unhappy with the screenplay bc it removed the homosexual undertones he felt were key to the plot and Brick's problems. but i imagine that would have been a bridge too far for a 1950s movie. /derail

Edited by mchookem

14 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

4ubky5.jpg

Go ahead Mike.  Let's see your 100% evidence.

spacer.png

Let's see how that stands up in court and whether it does any better than the "evidence" supplied thus far by Trump's crack(head) legal team.

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I hope they bankrupt that motherfucker.  I hope they bankrupt ALL of them.

Remember, GOP, y'all are the party of personal responsibility.  That means that if you do bad shit that hurts someone else, you face consequences.  It's consequence time, bitches.

They need to prove up a billion dollars in damages. Then ask for a billion dollars in punitive damages.

I’m not a bankruptcy attorney, but it’s my understanding that most of the time punitive damages are not discharged in bankruptcy.

Don’t just stop with bankrupting this guy, actually take away everything he’s got with turnover orders, special masters, and garnishment of bank accounts. 

37 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

How fucking gullible is MAGA? This dickhead made a fortune selling $5 pillows for $35, just by saying you can fluff them up and that they’re made in the USA.

I should start a business selling $1 socks for $10 and call it “American Socks.” I’ll tell people “these socks have patent-pending cotton technology and are made right here in Branson, Missouri by patriotic morons just like you!” 

Or maybe I’ll just write “TRUMP” in sharpie on a bunch of $1 bills and sell them for $30 each. 

Edited by BrickHorn
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

They need to prove up a billion dollars in damages. Then ask for a billion dollars in punitive damages.

I’m not a bankruptcy attorney, but it’s my understanding that most of the time punitive damages are not discharged in bankruptcy.

Don’t just stop with bankrupting this guy, actually take away everything he’s got with turnover orders, special masters, and garnishment of bank accounts. 

Is there any way to file a class action lawsuit against the RNC for sponsoring lies and defamation of the democratic election process?

16 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

How fucking gullible is MAGA? This dickhead made a fortune selling $5 pillows for $35, just by saying you can fluff them up and that they’re made in the USA.

I should start a business selling $1 socks for $10 and call it “American Socks.” I’ll tell people “these socks have patent-pending cotton technology and are made right here in Branson, Missouri by patriotic morons just like you!” 

Or maybe I’ll just write “TRUMP” in sharpie on a bunch of $1 bills and sell them for $30 each. 

Homer Simpson No GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Any kind of damages for intentional torts are non-dischargeable.  The "willful and malicious injury" discharge exception has been interpreted very broadly.

23 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

https://madeinamericasockcompany.com/

• Like 1

Was this posted already and I missed it? It's really sad in a way that this man is being excoriated for doing what is right and proper. It is also sad and damning that the GOP will be attempting to do this in counties nationwide. I would be so ashamed to be party to that. It is the civic duty as an American to set aside political party to oversee the proper administration of elections. I don't know if I would go as far as Eisen suggests, but a shout out for being a beacon of integrity from others would be appreciated I'm sure.

1 hour ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Totally normal discount code  for a pillow outfit website:

And...

Lol at raging at MyPillow guy’s “QANON” discount code but not mentioning the fact that he was in the Oval Office last week urging the president to seize power through martial law.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

Lol at raging at MyPillow guy’s “QANON” discount code but not mentioning the fact that he was in the Oval Office last week urging the president to seize power through martial law.

As it turns out, MARSHALL is also a valid discount code.

• Hook 'Em 1

What was the test series?

I think it’s good that Qanon folks got a discount code because they’ll need to something to cry into tomorrow.  Today’s his last full day.  30 more hours America!

4 hours ago, Lobo said:

What was the test series?

I think it’s good that Qanon folks got a discount code because they’ll need to something to cry into tomorrow.  Today’s his last full day.  30 more hours America!

If the dude was smart, he'd re-christen it Bite-Pillow, because as a lot of Qanon and other insurrectionists are finding out, the FBI is going in dry.

29 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I need someone to connect the dots.  How would the 2020 election invalidate the congresspersons that weren't up for election exactly?  How would this lead to the entire congress being barred?

1 hour ago, TXSG8R said:

I need someone to connect the dots.  How would the 2020 election invalidate the congresspersons that weren't up for election exactly?  How would this lead to the entire congress being barred?

That suit is an even bigger pile of dogshit than the Krakens.

It alleges violation of HAVA without ever specifying the provision of HAVA violated.

Standing problems.  Defendant problems.  Sanctions are coming for this one.

One thing, though.  They sued all 535 members of congress, plus other people.  They're going to have to serve them all.  And it won't probably be ripe for dismissal or sanctions until all 535+ have answered or formally defaulted.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TXSG8R said:

2/3 of the Senate would still remain.  Democrats would hold a 35-32 majority.

Suck on that. 

57 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

That suit is an even bigger pile of dogshit than the Krakens.

It alleges violation of HAVA without ever specifying the provision of HAVA violated.

Standing problems.  Defendant problems.  Sanctions are coming for this one.

One thing, though.  They sued all 535 members of congress, plus other people.  They're going to have to serve them all.  And it won't probably be ripe for dismissal or sanctions until all 535+ have answered or formally defaulted.

I just looked him up and Paul M. Davis, former associate general counsel of Goosehead Insurance, Inc., is a UT Law grad, class of 2011.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

Just now, DigglerontheHoof said:

Between Airforce flex-cuff guy w/ Horn helmet sticker, the Longhorn toboggan guy and this douchenozzle; the insurrection hasn't been a good look for us. 

ever been to the football or recruiting board?  we have a lot of fucking morons in our fanbase.  a fucking lot.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 2