the trump election lawsuit thread of dominance

henrygandorf

1 minute ago, GopherRock said:

Some seem to think this clown is the favorite to take on Tim Walz next fall for governor of MN. 

So the MN GOP is content with just giving Walz another term without so much as a real challenge?

Bold move there.

2 minutes ago, GopherRock said:

Some seem to think this clown is the favorite to take on Tim Walz next fall for governor of MN. 

i just don't think you can do maga without trump.  this dude just screams sad sack.  how many lake travis boat parades could this dude inspire? (i can only assume boat parades are proportionately that much more important in the land of 10,000 lakes)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Llogg said:

Wait, he thinks the supreme court worked for him? He really has no idea how government works even after 4 years as president. What a giant moron.

trump and his ilk view the world as a purely transactional place, including their term of service in the government. It's a common theme among fascists.

7 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I don't think I'd call Gorsuch a nihilist.  Strange bedfellows with the two guys who are nihilists, or just too stupid to hide their partisanship.

I might suspect that Gorsuch wanted to grant cert in order to clarify the the Court's lack of role in governing elections.  That is, as judicially and legally bizarre as the PA Supreme Court's modifications of PA election law may have been, the USSC ain't got shit to say about it while Thomas and Alito bray like donkeys.

...on what basis do you suspect this?

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Js1 said:

So the MN GOP is content with just giving Walz another term without so much as a real challenge?

Bold move there.

Well, the same guy who ran for AG is taking another run at Keith Ellison. Considering he couldn't beat the weakest link on the 2018 DFL ticket who is an amalgam of every Republican bogeyman out there, I don't think intelligence is a strong suit among the GOP electorate.

And to BtU!'s point, there was a giant boat parade on a Saturday in late October on the St. Croix River, the border between MN and WI near the Twin Cities. It didn't win Trump either state.

1 minute ago, wildcat09 said:

...on what basis do you suspect this?

Gorsuch doesn't regularly align with them on particular issues.

He's shown himself to be more doctrinaire than a reliable poltiical hack like Alito and Thomas.  He seems to be rather doctrinaire about federalism and I just have this intuition that he might have liked to go on record that the federal judiciary has naught to say about state election law, even bizarro judicial interpretations of it, so long as they're sufficienty in advance of elections that they don't disenfranchise in violation of the 14th.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, GopherRock said:

ill bet everything I have on the my pillow guy !!!!!!!!!!!!*

*we're talking about a crack smoking contest, right ?

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

He's shown himself to be more doctrinaire than a reliable poltiical hack like Alito and Thomas.  He seems to be rather doctrinaire about federalism and I just have this intuition that he might have liked to go on record that the federal judiciary has naught to say about state election law, even bizarro judicial interpretations of it, so long as they're sufficienty in advance of elections that they don't disenfranchise in violation of the 14th.

This is my take on him as well.

4 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

Thomas is worthless. Is he the worst justice in history?  Not worst as in asshole. There are certainly bigger asshole judges from the pre civil war and also pre civil rights eras. But he may very well be the worst ever at being an actual judge. 

Safe to say that if by some miracle Clarence Thomas was put on the bench in the 1850s, he would have sided with the majority on the Dred Scott case. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

Thomas is worthless. Is he the worst justice in history?  Not worst as in asshole. There are certainly bigger asshole judges from the pre civil war and also pre civil rights eras. But he may very well be the worst ever at being an actual judge. 

"Somehow, this concern about fraud only applies to elections in Thomas’ world. The justice actually rejects the argument that campaign finance reforms may be justified to prevent the “appearance of corruption.” He is transplanting a doctrine that he does not support into a new context to shore up the legality of voter suppression laws. In the process, he is bolstering Trump’s paranoid attacks on mail voting, lending judicial credence to two foundational elements of the big lie: First, that vote by mail is inherently unsafe and insecure, and second, that fraudulent mail-voting schemes may be rampant yet “undetected,” vindicating Trump’s ridiculous claims that his voters are right to doubt the outcome of the presidential race."

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2021/02/clarence-thomas-voter-fraud-trump-pennsylvania.html

• Like 1

Unicorns may also be rampant yet undetected.

That line of thinking is just so infuriating. And you just can’t reason with someone who insists that the absence of evidence to prove their belief doesn’t mean it’s not true. Like they say, you can’t reason someone out of a position they weren’t reasoned into. If you don’t require evidence to believe in what you believe, it frees you to believe whatever you want to believe.

I know that isn’t particularly insightful. Just venting. 

Edited by WhatTheBuck
  • Hook 'Em 1

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/ny-giuliani-dominion-lawsuit-service-20210222-6ejrl7c3rva3xbvhzqijoloe3y-story.html

Rudy Giuliani spent a week dodging service of a $1.3 billion lawsuit filed by Dominion Voting Systems after publicly declaring he was ready for the legal fight, a source told the Daily News.

Dominion hired the process servers to hand Giuliani its mammoth 107-page lawsuit after the former mayor ignored requests to simply accept it via email, the source said. The voting machine company claims Giuliani destroyed its reputation by knowingly spreading lies that it helped steal the election for President Biden.

On Tuesday, the company filed a separate defamation suit, also seeking $1.3 billion, against MyPillow CEO Mike Lendell for making similar bogus claims Dominion played a role in election fraud.

“After not responding to requests to waive service, Mr. Giuliani evaded in-person service of process for nearly a week. It took numerous attempts, at both his home and office, before we were able to successfully serve Mr. Giuliani on February 10. Mr. Giuliani’s repeated false claims about Dominion have been immeasurably damaging; this service of process is one more step forward in our pursuit of justice,” said Tom Clare, an attorney for Dominion.

Spoiler

Giuliani said he welcomed the court fight after Dominion sued last month.

“Dominion’s defamation lawsuit for $1.3 billion will allow me to investigate their history, finances and practices fully and completely,” Giuliani proclaimed.

A detailed account of efforts to serve Giuliani, which was provided to the Daily News by a source, told a different story. A doorman, knowing process servers were looking for Giuliani, locked the door to the building whenever the former mayor entered the lobby.

On Feb. 7, a pair of process servers and Giuliani got into an awkward standoff during a nasty winter storm. That morning, the doorman to the building waved to a Ford Explorer SUV parked down the street. Giuliani got in the passenger seat and closed the SUV door as a process server lunged forward with a bag full of documents.

“This is not the way it’s supposed to be done. You should have gone to my office,” Giuliani said, according to the account. The lawsuit was lodged between the SUV door.

The doorman got involved, jabbing his umbrella into the SUV door. The driver and doorman pulled the bag of legal documents, allowing Giuliani to close the SUV door. The process server left the bag in front of Giuliani’s building, which the doorman had locked yet again.

“These documents now belong to Giuliani,” the process server declared.

Building staff apparently didn’t agree. The process server saw a maintenance worker throw the bag of legal documents in a trash can on the street. They retrieved the legal documents and continued pursuing Giuliani.

For the next two days, the process server failed to intercept Giuliani at his office or apartment building. Staff at Giuliani’s office ignored messages to set up an appointment to hand off the suit.

At one point, his driver went through a red light while dodging the process server, according to the account. Finally, on Feb. 10, Giuliani’s assistant accepted service on his behalf.

Giuliani did not respond to an inquiry.

1 hour ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

"Somehow, this concern about fraud only applies to elections in Thomas’ world. The justice actually rejects the argument that campaign finance reforms may be justified to prevent the “appearance of corruption.” He is transplanting a doctrine that he does not support into a new context to shore up the legality of voter suppression laws. In the process, he is bolstering Trump’s paranoid attacks on mail voting, lending judicial credence to two foundational elements of the big lie: First, that vote by mail is inherently unsafe and insecure, and second, that fraudulent mail-voting schemes may be rampant yet “undetected,” vindicating Trump’s ridiculous claims that his voters are right to doubt the outcome of the presidential race."

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2021/02/clarence-thomas-voter-fraud-trump-pennsylvania.html

Clarence should stop reading his wife’s Facebook posts before he writes his opinions 

Actually, strike that. She probably does those for him 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

Also, Albright had that R 12 show cause and I think the response to it is sometime around now.  That’ll be fun to see. 

He (the loon) filed an amended complaint that mentioned a R. 12 response filed contemporaneously.  While a plaintiff usually has the right to amend before a R. 12 dismissal, I don't think filing an amended pleading in that circumstance is a really good idea.

And I can't tell from that attorneys fees motion, did Davis the loon file it?  Any relation to Chelsea?

Also, there's this. https://lawandcrime.com/2020-election/fired-texas-lawyer-gets-fired-again-and-he-seems-happy-about-it/

Edited by TwiceHorn

1 hour ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

"Somehow, this concern about fraud only applies to elections in Thomas’ world. The justice actually rejects the argument that campaign finance reforms may be justified to prevent the “appearance of corruption.” In the process, he is bolstering Trump’s paranoid attacks on mail voting, lending judicial credence to two foundational elements of the big lie: First, that vote by mail is inherently unsafe and insecure, and second, that fraudulent mail-voting schemes may be rampant yet “undetected,” vindicating Trump’s ridiculous claims that his voters are right to doubt the outcome of the presidential race."

Ok pubs.  You win.  Voting by mail is inherently unsafe and insecure.  Let’s get rid of it completely, cause that is the only logical conclusion from this assumption.   Of course,  includes all the 65+ yr olds who have been able to utilize this fraudulent scheme for decades.   Deal?

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, APMP said:
57 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:
Anyone here know Paul Davis? Class of 2011

Idiot lawyer? I finished at UT Law a few years before him, but he was in my wife's class. She says there zero surprise amongst her friends about him.

Man, I knew some weird fucks and dicks and shitheads in law school, but I cannot think of anyone that would be involved in something like this.

16 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I haven't seen anything to indicate that he doesn't align with the rest of them on voting rights. Prioritizing the ability of states to govern their elections over the voting rights of black people is central to conservatism. If he didn't align with the others on it, he wouldn't be a conservative.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

Naw, all those old assholes were horrible judges too. Thomas isn't an exception, he's closer to the rule.

2 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

I haven't seen anything to indicate that he doesn't align with the rest of them on voting rights. Prioritizing the ability of states to govern their elections over the voting rights of black people is central to conservatism. If he didn't align with the others on it, he wouldn't be a conservative.

That may be true, I don't see this as a voting rights issue, although it's tangentially connected.

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

That may be true, I don't see this as a voting rights issue, although it's tangentially connected.

I should've elaborated. Prioritizing the ability of conservative state officials to suppress the black vote is what I really meant. I was trying to be the tiniest bit sympathetic to their good faith and in that frame it's typically presented as balancing a state's power to run its elections vs the voting rights of an individual, but we know what it's really about. So yeah, in cases like the Pennsylvania case you could say it's less about guaranteeing any particular individual's right to vote and more about whether the Supreme Court can override a state supreme court's interpretation of its own law, but we know the answer to that question, as far as most conservative judges are concerned, really hinges on whether the votes in question are from white conservative voters or black voters.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

fuck that douche. thomas's wife is in the trump inner circle. she's a bigger nut than thomas. this was his shot at appeasing daddy trump 

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, APMP said:
3 hours ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:
Anyone here know Paul Davis? Class of 2011

Idiot lawyer? I finished at UT Law a few years before him, but he was in my wife's class. She says there zero surprise amongst her friends about him.

all schools and universities have shitty grads 

Okay, the video clip starts in the middle of the moderator's number.  It sounds like he says, "1,130 criminal convictions of vote fraud."  

I think there were certainly that amount nationwide of fraudulent instances.  1,130 out of 159mm or .0007% and that's instances, not convicted criminals.  That a nation of our size, during a global deadly pandemic where we're the flagship for fucking it up, can have record turnout and only have 1,130 fraudulent ballots is fucking amazing.  

Or, oh wait...is the new narrative...there wasn't massive voter fraud.  It was Trump voter suppression...that's why the 1,130 number is so shocking??!??!?!

Edited by Lobo

• 2 weeks later...

With the Supreme Court rejecting the final gasp of Trump election lawsuits... the last nail has been put in this coffin.

Not to say that a lot of very stupid people will still believe that the courts stacked with Trump and GOP appointees are actually martians  masquerading as Judges ina secret plot to deprive American from Donald Trump's sent from heaven greatness.  But the factual, lawsuit part is now over.

3 minutes ago, horn4life said:

With the Supreme Court rejecting the final gasp of Trump election lawsuits... the last nail has been put in this coffin.

Not to say that a lot of very stupid people will still believe that the courts stacked with Trump and GOP appointees are actually martians  masquerading as Judges ina secret plot to deprive American from Donald Trump's sent from heaven greatness.  But the factual, lawsuit part is now over.

Do you even secret military tribunals, bro?

• Rage+1 1

22 hours ago, horn4life said:

It never really started, actually. Those lawsuits, collectively, were a dog and pony show. They had nothing to do with the law, and they had nothing to do with the facts. It was just a show for the idiot rubes that fall victim easily to this feeble, garbled drivel about how "oh wah wah wah, the evil Dems are stealing the presidency from our orange Jesus wah wah wah." It's just like when a professional wrestler cuts a post-match promo about how he got screwed by the ref, the promoter, the other guy's manager, etc. They're playing this up as if it was the Montreal Screwjob, except the most "in on it" people are, in reality, the Trump campaign themselves. They know he fucking lost (well maybe not Lin "Dave Wills" Wood, but the rest of them certainly do). They had no real ambition of winning these suits, and that should have been abundantly clear in the performances they put on gavel-to-gavel. They just wanted to scream as loudly as they could in the best microphones that were available to them outside of the court rooms, not so much inside them. 

Anyways, this is far from over. The actual challenge before us is this absurd roster of state-level legislations that are trying so desperately to squash voting rights for as many Americans as they possibly can. 

• Like 1

Hey, the WSJ with a Georgia/Trump update.  He made another call to the state, and the Journal has it:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/recording-of-trump-phone-call-to-georgia-lead-investigator-reveals-new-details-11615411561?mod=e2tw

Then-President Donald Trump urged the chief investigator of the Georgia Secretary of State’s office to look for fraud during an audit of mail-in ballots in a suburban Atlanta county, on a phone call he made to her in late December.

During the six-minute call, which was reviewed by The Wall Street Journal, Mr. Trump repeatedly said that he won Georgia. “Something bad happened,” he said.

“When the right answer comes out, you’ll be praised,” Mr. Trump told the chief investigator, Frances Watson.

She responded: “I can assure you that our team and the [Georgia Bureau of Investigation], that we are only interested in the truth and finding the information that is based on the facts.”

The Washington Post reported on the call in January, but this is the first time the recording has been released.

Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis has launched a criminal investigation into alleged efforts to have officials in Georgia overturn the state’s results of November’s presidential election. In a February letter to officials, Ms. Willis said a grand jury would convene this month.

In early January, media outlets, including the Journal, published news of a recording of a telephone conversation between Mr. Trump and several supporters and Mr. Raffensperger and his staff. During that Jan. 2 call, Mr. Trump urged Mr. Raffensperger to “find” votes to change the election outcome. He berated Mr. Raffensperger for not doing more to overturn the election.

Representatives of the former president didn’t immediately respond to requests for comment.

Spoiler

President Biden won the state by about 12,000 votes out of 5 million cast. Two statewide recounts confirmed Mr. Biden won, making Mr. Trump the first sitting Republican president to lose the state since 1992.

After the recounts, the Georgia Secretary of State conducted a forensic audit of about 15,000 mail-in ballots in Cobb County, checking signatures on ballot envelopes to make sure they matched signatures on file with the county. It was during that audit, just before Christmas, that Mr. Trump called Ms. Watson. Mr. Trump said in the call that he contacted Ms. Watson at the request of Mark Meadows, Mr. Trump’s chief of staff. The audit found no evidence of fraud.

During the call, Mr. Trump told Ms. Watson that she had the most important job in the country at the time and urged her investigators to review signatures going back several years, according to the recording. While her audit was focused on Cobb County, he said she should look at Fulton County, the state’s most populous county that includes most of Atlanta.

“If you can get to Fulton, you are going to find things that are going to be unbelievable,” he said.

In the call, Mr. Trump offered no evidence of any wrongdoing. At one point, he said his loss in Georgia “never made sense and, you know, they dropped ballots. They dropped all these ballots. Stacey Abrams, really, really terrible,” he said. Ms. Abrams, the 2018 Democratic candidate for governor in Georgia, and her group Fair Fight Action registered thousands of new voters in Georgia in recent years.

Mr. Trump offered no explanation for his claim, and Ms. Watson didn’t ask him what he meant.

On the recording, Ms. Watson, who isn’t a political appointee, said she was surprised that he was calling her.

“I do know that you are a very busy, very important man and I am very honored that you called,” she said. “And quite frankly I’m shocked that you would take time to do that, but I am very appreciative.”

Ms. Watson declined to comment through the Secretary of State’s office.

Mr. Raffensperger’s spokesman Ari Schaffer said in a statement to the Journal: “This phone call is just one more example of how Secretary Raffensperger’s office’s public comments also reflect what was said in one-on-one conversations: We would follow the law, count every legal vote and investigate any allegations of fraud. That’s exactly what we did, and how we arrived at the accurate final vote tally.”

For months after the election, Mr. Trump and his supporters pressed for the Georgia results to be overturned. Mr. Trump directed much of his ire at Republican leaders in Georgia, including Gov. Brian Kemp and Mr. Raffensperger.

The White House forced the U.S. attorney in Atlanta to resign after he declined to launch a federal investigation into the Georgia election, according to people familiar with the matter. 

In February, Ms. Willis sent letters to top Georgia officials, including Mr. Raffensperger, ordering them to preserve records relating to the 2020 election. The letters stated that Ms. Willis’s office had launched a criminal investigation into “potential violations of Georgia law prohibiting solicitation of election fraud, the making of false statements to state and local bodies, conspiracy, racketeering, violation of oath of office and any involvement in violence or threats related to the election’s administration.”

https://www.wsj.com/podcasts/listen-to-trump-call-to-georgia-secretary-of-state-investigator/9975d267-1345-497c-b061-28383727b7f3

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

He won’t.

Consequences aren’t a thing anymore. Thought you’d figured that out.

Yep, if there's one thing Trump knows it's how to avoid legal consequences. Unless they have a tape of him saying, "I need you to forge enough votes for me to win, or else I'm going to destroy your political career, and tell the Proud Boys to invade your home" all that this amounts to is veiled threats and implications the he can--and will--argue/lie weren't met in nefarious ways. For a man who is pretty shitty with his words, he knows where to be vague and leave the details up for interpretation.

14 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

just a mere caveman but isn’t this guy describing “federal rico” and do States have their own rico laws and thresholds?  I mean, from my limited understanding Georgia actually is looking at rico. 

They are generally very similar.  State judges may not shit on RICO plaintiffs or prosecutors as regularly as federal, but the "structural" similarity is very much there.

RICO doesn't enhance penalties or anything compared to predicate offenses.  It allows the charging of loose organizations and their members (crime syndicates don't form C-Corps or LLCs) without having to prove the formalities of a conspiracy, namely that all charged parties agreed to commit a crime.  So a "crime family" can be charged top to bottom for an ordered hit even though the capos take great pains not to communicate, agree, or provide other evidence in support of a conspiracy, for a crude example.

It's a device that allows charging and conviction of people that were complicit and culpable in crimes, but didn't have an actual hand in it or participate in a provable conspiracy.

Just like being convicted of conspiracy to commit wire fraud is no worse than being convicted of wire fraud, a RICO conviction for wire fraud as a predicate offense is no worse than being convicted of wire fraud.  There are some forfeiture type remedies associated with RICO that are designed to destroy the organization or at least handicap it, so that may or may not be different from an individual charged with the same predicate offense.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1