the trump election lawsuit thread of dominance

henrygandorf

2 hours ago, YChang said:

I just had a sobering and disappointing lunch with an old friend (since high school). Dude is an engineer with 2 advanced degrees (1 from UT). His argument was, just investigate the voting machines if there's nothing to hide. I couldn't quite make him understand when I told him that Trump's lawyer had no evidence, that's why the judges dismissed the lawsuits. But somehow he kept arguing that they were dismissed due to political motivation and I didn't even bring up how most of the judges were Trump/Republican appointed ones. And somehow, it doesn't take mass voter fraud to turn the election?!? What?  Sigh...

If funny how the party of my freedoms is super okay with the government violating those freedoms (4th amend) when it benefits them 

2 hours ago, YChang said:

I just had a sobering and disappointing lunch with an old friend (since high school). Dude is an engineer with 2 advanced degrees (1 from UT). His argument was, just investigate the voting machines if there's nothing to hide. I couldn't quite make him understand when I told him that Trump's lawyer had no evidence, that's why the judges dismissed the lawsuits. But somehow he kept arguing that they were dismissed due to political motivation and I didn't even bring up how most of the judges were Trump/Republican appointed ones. And somehow, it doesn't take mass voter fraud to turn the election?!? What?  Sigh...

You can't reason with these people.

463feb32-6242-4b23-b51c-6295d0beffea_tex

1 minute ago, Neonmoon said:

If funny how the party of my freedoms is super okay with the government violating those freedoms (4th amend) when it benefits them 

I assume the states, or maybe counties, or some other level of government do a post election analysis on the machines and their firmware?  
if so, then the proper validations have already occurred and there’s no reason for the feds to do it, unless the allegations include collusion by dozens of different parties that are hiding the fraud at these levels. 

if not, should they be? In my line of work there’s system suitability checks before and after the instrumentation gets used, to make sure the instrumentation is functioning properly.  Voting machines seem like a good place to do the same. 

Yeah man, it's a growth industry.  Mike Lindell has shown me the way.  When you control mattress scales, you control one small industry.  When you control pillow scales, you control............INFORMATION! 

I always remind people that security and integrity safeguards are assured during vetting, procurement, and implementation, precluding the need for ANY post election examination. An audit is out of the question because it would invalidate the aforementioned. We intrinsically trust voting machines, or we dont have elections. What we dont do is let any technicians or lawyers near the machines after the election because that's when shit happens. Make them sign a release if needed, but absolutely no integrity questions after the fact.

Goddamned GQP ratfuckers are such cunts. Fuck em all.

But somehow he kept arguing that they were dismissed due to political motivation and I didn't even bring up how most of the judges were Trump/Republican appointed ones. And somehow, it doesn't take mass voter fraud to turn the election?!? What?  Sigh...

You should have brought it up.

Always dunk on them with facts.

And tell him to give you his phone so you can look for evidence of his cheating or being gay. Tell him his innocence is not important if he has nothing to hide. Just asking questions. People are saying, so just give you the damn phone and a release of his banking and tax records to investigate the fraud rumors you’re hearing.

Really, this is no different than the machines.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

5 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

You should have brought it up.

Always dunk on them with facts.

And tell him to give you his phone so you can look for evidence of his cheating or being gay. Tell him his innocence is not important if he has nothing to hide. Just asking questions. People are saying, so just give you the damn phone and a release of his banking and tax records to investigate the fraud rumors you’re hearing.

Really, this is no different than the machines.

You're gonna need his credit card and ssn too.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

20 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I spent ten minutes today skimming the ag site and they are livid about some article in Time magazine that was titled (paraphrase) Secret History behind the election..." and it was a bit explaining how all the different people, groups, and agencies worked to make the elections free and fair, to stop voter suppression, and to stem disinformation. They are convinced that this proves it WAS a democratic conspiracy.

I read the entire article and was just flabbergasted at how they could draw this conclusion.

Thread here: https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/3181076

Article here: https://time.com/5936036/secret-2020-election-campaign/

I mean, how do they draw this conclusion based on reading this?

Well, those good people (not the ags, the groups and government) made it easier for people to vote across the board and during this pandemic.  By necessity, that made it easier for brown people** to vote.  So, it was clearly a democrap conspiracy to rig the election.

**brown people to ags:

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by TwiceHorn

So Powell is claiming electronic signatures are not valid and that all the times she was on TV and Twitter saying she filed documents didn’t really mean it was her doing it?

interesting defense...

”you honor, I can not be guilty of stealing a pack of cigarettes because the word pack implies more than one.”

”I believe the term pack implies to the quantity of cigarettes inside.”

”I object!”

I find they don't teach that at UT.  Or most law schools for that matter.  Kinda have to figure that one out for yourself.
I did one year at UT law in the 90s and that exactly how it went down. It was a bit tongue and cheek but also a very pragmatic start and a solid lesson.
Took a hiatus after year 1 -a family matter I had to attend to and never went back. Don't regret not being a lawyer. 30k for some basic law background plus an extra year on the 40 was kinda nice After I paid off that debt with time to reflect, conflicted.

I did one year at UT law in the 90s and that exactly how it went down. It was a bit tongue and cheek but also a very pragmatic start and a solid lesson.
Took a hiatus after year 1 -a family matter I had to attend to and never went back. Don't regret not being a lawyer. 30k for some basic law background plus an extra year on the 40 was kinda nice After I paid off that debt with time to reflect, conflicted.

Well, the world needs ditchdiggers too.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Thoughts.  Prayers.  Bootstraps.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/what-became-of-trumps-election-dead-enders-his-biz-is-shunned-she-resigned-and-everyone-is-being-sued?ref=home?ref=home

A month after the deadly riot at the U.S. Capitol, Donald Trump is living comfortably at his private club in Florida. He’s been gearing up for his latest impeachment trial, he’s been deprived of many of his toys and privileges that came with the presidency, and he’s suffering from boredom. But he’s also been basking in the comfort of knowing that the Republican Party will—even today—continue to bend over backwards to please him.

But some of his most hardcore associates and advisers, who egged Trump on and helped fuel his most dangerous or destructive attempts to subvert American democracy, aren’t doing so well. In the three months since the election was called for Joe Biden, most of the lawyers and MAGA enthusiasts who decided to play a consequential role in the ex-president’s efforts to overturn the Democratic nominee’s 2020 win (efforts that led directly to the Jan. 6 mob violence), have had their jobs or businesses shredded, their personal lives shaken, or their reputations irrevocably tarnished—all while Trump’s been relaxing and playing his rounds of golf in the Sunshine State.

The ones who helped spearhead the most extreme chapters in the broader crusade to nullify the election outcome are now besieged by their own legal battles. Several of them have complained that friends aren’t talking to them anymore, or have huffed and fumed over Twitter banningthem for life for spreading dangerous misinformation. Several of the Trump-allied attorneys are just trying to hold onto their law licenses, under calls for disbarment for their participation on the Team Trump efforts. Only two of these people responded to requests for comment on this story.

Spoiler

Much of their current ruin came as a direct result of their decisions to become major players in Trump’s failed authoritarian endeavor to cling to power. All of them have refused to admit that Trump, in fact, lost fair and square. Of this band of MAGA allies (which most prominently included people like Rudy Giuliani, Michael Flynn, Sidney Powell, Lin Wood, Jenna Ellis, Cleta Mitchell, John Eastman, and Peter Navarro), arguably none of them has lost more in the time since the election than Mike Lindell, the MyPillow CEO and personal friend of the ex-president’s.

When Trump was in power, Lindell served as Trump 2020’s Minnesota co-chair and as a big financial backer of several efforts to overturn Biden’s win. He was welcomed by Trump into the Oval Office in the very last days of the term to brief the then-leader of the free world on a stack of documents purporting to show evidence that China and other foreign nations somehow tipped the election to Biden. (One of the papers in that packet included a suggestion for declaring martial law to bar the Democratic president-elect from office.)

Today, as many of his former compatriots have already given up the fight, Lindell has continued to be the truest of believers in the cause, refusing to move on despite losing business left and right. Last week, Lindell texted The Daily Beast that Mattress Firm, which he described as a “big bedding company... if not the biggest,” had “quit selling MyPillow, too,” following a trend of companies swearing off the pillow mogul’s products after his post-election activity. Last month, the MyPillow creator said he’d already gotten phone calls or notices from Bed Bath & Beyond, Wayfair, and Kohl’s that they’d decided to ditch his product line and halt their business relationship with the MAGA super-fan’s company.

This month, Lindell and his pillow company also suffered a similar fate to the 45th president of the United States: Twitter had taken action against their accounts for spreading pro-Trump conspiracy theories baselessly claiming a rigged election. “They took down MyPillow’s Twitter now! Attacks keep coming,” Lindell lamented to The Daily Beast.

Lindell is still facing a possible lawsuit from Dominion Voting Systems, the election tech company that has sent warnings to various people in the Trump orbit and in conservative media, demanding retractions and public apologies for making widespread allegations that Dominion helped steal the 2020 election. Other Trump stalwarts who’ve been sent demand letters have backed off, immediately gone quiet, or sheepishly issued on-air correctives.

But not Lindell.

Instead, the pillow entrepreneur claims to have gone into hiding, surrounding himself with ex-Special Forces soldiers. On Friday, Lindell released “Absolute Proof,” a three-hour video premiering on the Trump-aligned One America News Network that he claims will prove the election was stolen from Trump. Lindell cast the video’s release in apocalyptic terms, claiming on a North Dakota radio show shortly before the Friday release that the “end times” await if his video doesn’t catch on with “all the marbles on the line,” and that “I'm serious, this is biblical. This is Revelations. This is Mark of the Beast stuff. This is that vaccine and all that garbage."

Down in Georgia, Lin Wood isn’t doing that much better. During the tumultuous Trump-Biden presidential transition, Lindell financially supported Wood’s legal work as he made a name for himself with his especially groundless, violence-endorsing assertions about the election. The then-president would repeatedly phone Wood in late 2020 to get updates on his latest moves in Georgia. But Wood’s operation, working in tandem with Powell, caused rampant anxiety among conservatives on Capitol Hill, inside the Trump administration, and in the campaign. Many Republican operatives and lawmakers still, in part, blame Wood for helping to blow the GOP’s chances in this year’s Georgia runoff, costing the party control of the U.S. Senate at the dawn of the Biden era.

But in the time since he seemingly struck up a rapport with Trump, the now-former president has privately bad-mouthed Wood as a crank to close associates, according to two people who’ve heard Trump’s criticisms. Today, Wood’s Twitter account, too, has been taken away from him, and it’s not clear whether Wood will even get to remain a lawyer for much longer.

Nick Sandmann, the former Covington Catholic student whose lawsuits against media outlets had turned Wood into a star with Trump supporters, dropped Wood as his attorney. Wood recently doxxed his own son, publishing his estranged adult son’s email address online and urging his fans to contact him about the “persecution” the elder Wood faced. The Georgia state bar wants Wood to undergo a mental evaluation if he’s going to retain his license to practice law, according to Wood’s posts on social networking app Telegram, and a private lawyers club in Atlanta warned Wood he could face expulsion if he doesn’t resign his membership. Now Wood, one of the most outspoken promoters of the claim that Democrats committed voter fraud in 2020, is reportedly under investigation himself for voting in Georgia after sending an email that suggested he has another residency in South Carolina.

Among this Trumpian collective of would-be election-destroyers, Wood isn’t even the only one whose license to practice law is now under attack or scrutiny.

Powell, Wood’s partner-in-mischief, was slammed last month by Detroit officials who said they want her stripped of her Michigan law license. “This lawsuit, and the lawsuits filed in the other states, are not just damaging to our democratic experiment, they are also deeply corrosive to the judicial process itself,” attorneys for the Motor City wrote to U.S. District Judge Linda Parker.

Following the Jan. 6 riot in Washington—the day Giuliani spoke at the D.C. rally and called for “trial by combat”—the New York State Bar Association moved to expel the once-celebrated New York City mayor, and laid some of the blame for the mob violence at his door. Giuliani, who was the ringleader of Trump’s official election-challenging legal “strike force,” decried the move as a “political act.”

Around the same time, Brad Hoylman, the Democratic chairman of the New York state Senate Judiciary Committee, delivered a formal request to have Trump’s personal lawyer’s license to practice law revoked due to his “participation and role in fomenting a violent insurrectionist attack.”

And like so many in the former president’s good graces who promulgated the pro-Trump lies about the 2020 election, Powell and Giuliani are facing aggressive legal threats from voting tech companies. On Thursday, Smartmatic filed a $2.7 billion suit against several Fox stars, Giuliani, and Powell. "We have no choice," Antonio Mugica, Smartmatic’s founder, told CNN. "The disinformation campaign that was launched against us is an obliterating one. For us, this is existential, and we have to take action."

But after Biden’s Jan. 20 inauguration, Giuliani at least continued to have the ear of his client, still the Republican Party’s most popular figure, by far. According to two people familiar with the matter, Giuliani kept informally advising Trump on impeachment-trial strategy, even after it was made clear to the attorney that he wouldn’t be officially serving on the ex-president’s new legal defense for the February Senate proceedings.

Other lawyers who worked for Trump during the disastrous presidential transition weren’t so lucky, having been used and discarded by the former president’s political operation, and today left without their other jobs.

Early last month, The Washington Post first revealed that Cleta Mitchell was intimately involved with Trump’s scandalous pressure campaign to overturn Biden’s victory in Georgia. She had, mostly under the radar, risen to become Team Trump’s point person in the state, and was on the now-infamous conference call between the Republican president and Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger.

Over many years, Mitchell had earned a reputation as one of the conservative legal universe’s heaviest hitters, and a top-tier campaign finance attorney for right-leaning activists and political candidates. She was a true star in the field. But when her involvement in Trump’s efforts were revealed in January, her high-powered law firm, Foley & Lardner LLP, released a statement claiming it was unaware of the extent of Mitchell’s pro-Trump activity, and said the firm was “concerned” and probing the matter. Shortly thereafter, Mitchell was out of the job.

In December, John Eastman represented Trump before the U.S. Supreme Court when few others—even longtime Trump attorneys—would do so. On the then-president’s behalf, Eastman—a Chapman University law professor who became an outrage-magnet during the 2020 election for openly questioning Sen. Kamala Harris’s citizenship and therefore eligibility to serve as Biden’s running mate—asked the Supreme Court to allow Trump to intervene in a Texas suit that sought to cancel Biden’s victory in four key states.

This legal maneuver, predictably, went nowhere fast. For his time and service, Eastman was rewarded by Trump by having his name floated as a possible member of his legal team for the second Senate trial. Eastman also got a prime speaking slot at the D.C. rally that preceded the bloody riot on Capitol Hill. However, Eastman and Giuliani were soon barred from working on the team, with several top Trump advisers fearing the pair wasn’t serious enough and that they carried too much riot-related baggage with them.

The week after the rioting, Eastman was forced to resign from Chapman, following mounting pressure on the university’s leadership. The separation was acrimonious enough that both Eastman and the university had to pledge not to sue one another. “Chapman and Dr. Eastman have agreed not to engage in legal actions of any kind, including any claim of defamation that may currently exist, as both parties move forward,” Chapman president Daniele Struppa said in a statement at the time.

As for the rest, Jenna Ellis, one of the most gung-ho of Trump’s senior legal advisers, is no longer representing the former president. Starting in early December, she and other Trumpist lawyers suffered a sharp plunge in the frequency of appearances on Fox News and Fox Business, following legal threats made by the voting-tech companies. But at least she still has her job as special counsel for the socially conservative Thomas More Society, and hasn’t lost her Twitter account of nearly 800,000 followers. Nowadays, she can be found tweeting her continued support of the former president, broadsides against the Biden administration, and her thoughts on issues such as why conservative women are definitely “hotter.”

Peter Navarro, President Trump’s top trade adviser in the White House who spent Trump’s final weeks in office compiling and promoting documents that falsely portrayed massive election fraud, is still trying to talk to his former boss—through the TV, at least. On Friday, Navarro appeared on Newsmax TV to urge Trump to once again upturn his legal team. "You get somebody like Matt Gaetz as your lead attorney instead of that stiff [Bruce Castor] you had on," Navarro recommended… before touting his own research. “Then you use the ‘Navarro Report’ and other reports that have been put out as your exhibits A, B, C, and D.”

With the Trump presidency in his rearview mirror, multiple close associates of Navarro say they aren’t sure what his next career move will be, as he’s so inextricably tied himself to his onetime boss.

As for Michael Flynn, Trump’s first national security adviser, he never got his reinstatement or re-elevation in the Trump administration that he and the ex-president had once so desired. In late November, he did, however, finally get his pardon from Trump for his role in the Robert Mueller saga. But in return, Flynn failed to deliver on the authoritarian push to keep Biden out of power, and (thankfully) didn’t have enough powerful takers for his pitch for Trump to proclaim martial law or use the U.S. military to “re-run” the election in electorally crucial states. With his professional reputation in Washington and elsewhere dramatically diminished, he now has to settle for being a folk hero to QAnon kooks.

Down in Palm Beach, Florida, where the twice-impeached 45th president of the United States is prepping with his team for the Senate trial, he’s sometimes letting his boredom with retirement show, even as he tries to project a state of contentment to the public and to his aides. Late last week, Trump’s lawyers and advisers rejected an invitation from House impeachment managers for the former commander in chief to testify. “The president will not testify in an unconstitutional proceeding,” senior Trump adviser Jason Miller flatly told The Daily Beast.

When Trump hasn’t been focusing on his upcoming trial, he’s been golfing. He’s still binging his right-wing media and cable-TV favorites, though even there he’s starting to lose close friends due to the election aftermath. On Friday, the staunchly Trumpy Fox Business announced it had canceled the show of its star, Lou Dobbs, a fervent supporter of the former president who for years also doubled as a key informal adviser to Trump. (Dobbs had been mentioned in Smartmatic’s $2.7 billion lawsuit the day prior.) After the news broke, Trump voiced his support for Dobbs in an official statement, but by Saturday, Dobbs was keeping mostly tight-lipped about the ouster, texting The Daily Beast, “Sorry. No comment at this time.”

When Trump is not watching television or monitoring line-up developments, he still hasn’t bothered devoting an ounce of introspection on the massive body counts and the ravaged nation he left for others to clean up. “He doesn’t have regrets about it, none that I’ve heard,” said one Trump confidant. He’s been scribbling down potential disses and harangues at his political foes, insults that he now cannot tweet himself to the broader public. He’s dictated petulant remarks sent to the Hollywood elites at the Screen Actors Guild who don’t want him anymore.

In recent days, Trump has been phoning close associates regularly about the next impeachment trial—as well as to gossip about Biden, media, the future, and other members of the GOP. His office has also been messaging friends and high-profile allies on his behalf, inviting them to visit him at Mar-a-Lago, according to two knowledgeable sources and written communications reviewed by The Daily Beast.

Some individuals close to the ex-president say he’s started getting lonely and bored with his existence out of power, and misses being constantly surrounded by powerful sycophants and being the center of attention for the news media, U.S. politicos, and leaders abroad. But the ex-president is still living in luxury, and has been recently very confident about his continued standing and influence in the Republican Party and conservative movement.

And he’s not the only veteran of the sprawling, anti-democratic effort to be sitting pretty in early 2021.

Overstock.com founder Patrick Byrne became one of the strangest characters of the last days of the Trump administration, visiting the White House in December, dressed in jeans and a hoodie, scarfing down meatballs, and bickering with Trump’s legal team and administration officials, as he, Flynn, and Powell together pitched the then-president on their democracy-thwarting schemes. But now, with Trump’s dream of overturning the 2020 election in tatters, Byrne appears to be doing comparatively okay—and is blaming just about everyone else for President Biden’s win, turning his blog into the digital burn book of the Trump post-campaign. “Almost every evening, and many early afternoons, Rudy was shit-faced,” Byrne blogged recently. “That, and his podcasts, were the only guarantees in Rudy’s life.” (Byrne declined to comment on this story, saying he wanted to finish his blog series first.)

However thoroughly Byrne was dragging Giuliani and others for their alleged behavior, the Trump attorney didn’t seem to care too much. Asked on Saturday what he thought about Byrne bashing him, Giuliani simply replied to The Daily Beast, “So have you,” without further explaining how this news outlet had “trashed” him lately.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Thoughts.  Prayers.  Bootstraps.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/what-became-of-trumps-election-dead-enders-his-biz-is-shunned-she-resigned-and-everyone-is-being-sued?ref=home?ref=home

Hide contents

Much of their current ruin came as a direct result of their decisions to become major players in Trump’s failed authoritarian endeavor to cling to power. All of them have refused to admit that Trump, in fact, lost fair and square. Of this band of MAGA allies (which most prominently included people like Rudy Giuliani, Michael Flynn, Sidney Powell, Lin Wood, Jenna Ellis, Cleta Mitchell, John Eastman, and Peter Navarro), arguably none of them has lost more in the time since the election than Mike Lindell, the MyPillow CEO and personal friend of the ex-president’s.

When Trump was in power, Lindell served as Trump 2020’s Minnesota co-chair and as a big financial backer of several efforts to overturn Biden’s win. He was welcomed by Trump into the Oval Office in the very last days of the term to brief the then-leader of the free world on a stack of documents purporting to show evidence that China and other foreign nations somehow tipped the election to Biden. (One of the papers in that packet included a suggestion for declaring martial law to bar the Democratic president-elect from office.)

Today, as many of his former compatriots have already given up the fight, Lindell has continued to be the truest of believers in the cause, refusing to move on despite losing business left and right. Last week, Lindell texted The Daily Beast that Mattress Firm, which he described as a “big bedding company... if not the biggest,” had “quit selling MyPillow, too,” following a trend of companies swearing off the pillow mogul’s products after his post-election activity. Last month, the MyPillow creator said he’d already gotten phone calls or notices from Bed Bath & Beyond, Wayfair, and Kohl’s that they’d decided to ditch his product line and halt their business relationship with the MAGA super-fan’s company.

This month, Lindell and his pillow company also suffered a similar fate to the 45th president of the United States: Twitter had taken action against their accounts for spreading pro-Trump conspiracy theories baselessly claiming a rigged election. “They took down MyPillow’s Twitter now! Attacks keep coming,” Lindell lamented to The Daily Beast.

Lindell is still facing a possible lawsuit from Dominion Voting Systems, the election tech company that has sent warnings to various people in the Trump orbit and in conservative media, demanding retractions and public apologies for making widespread allegations that Dominion helped steal the 2020 election. Other Trump stalwarts who’ve been sent demand letters have backed off, immediately gone quiet, or sheepishly issued on-air correctives.

But not Lindell.

Instead, the pillow entrepreneur claims to have gone into hiding, surrounding himself with ex-Special Forces soldiers. On Friday, Lindell released “Absolute Proof,” a three-hour video premiering on the Trump-aligned One America News Network that he claims will prove the election was stolen from Trump. Lindell cast the video’s release in apocalyptic terms, claiming on a North Dakota radio show shortly before the Friday release that the “end times” await if his video doesn’t catch on with “all the marbles on the line,” and that “I'm serious, this is biblical. This is Revelations. This is Mark of the Beast stuff. This is that vaccine and all that garbage."

Down in Georgia, Lin Wood isn’t doing that much better. During the tumultuous Trump-Biden presidential transition, Lindell financially supported Wood’s legal work as he made a name for himself with his especially groundless, violence-endorsing assertions about the election. The then-president would repeatedly phone Wood in late 2020 to get updates on his latest moves in Georgia. But Wood’s operation, working in tandem with Powell, caused rampant anxiety among conservatives on Capitol Hill, inside the Trump administration, and in the campaign. Many Republican operatives and lawmakers still, in part, blame Wood for helping to blow the GOP’s chances in this year’s Georgia runoff, costing the party control of the U.S. Senate at the dawn of the Biden era.

But in the time since he seemingly struck up a rapport with Trump, the now-former president has privately bad-mouthed Wood as a crank to close associates, according to two people who’ve heard Trump’s criticisms. Today, Wood’s Twitter account, too, has been taken away from him, and it’s not clear whether Wood will even get to remain a lawyer for much longer.

Nick Sandmann, the former Covington Catholic student whose lawsuits against media outlets had turned Wood into a star with Trump supporters, dropped Wood as his attorney. Wood recently doxxed his own son, publishing his estranged adult son’s email address online and urging his fans to contact him about the “persecution” the elder Wood faced. The Georgia state bar wants Wood to undergo a mental evaluation if he’s going to retain his license to practice law, according to Wood’s posts on social networking app Telegram, and a private lawyers club in Atlanta warned Wood he could face expulsion if he doesn’t resign his membership. Now Wood, one of the most outspoken promoters of the claim that Democrats committed voter fraud in 2020, is reportedly under investigation himself for voting in Georgia after sending an email that suggested he has another residency in South Carolina.

Among this Trumpian collective of would-be election-destroyers, Wood isn’t even the only one whose license to practice law is now under attack or scrutiny.

Powell, Wood’s partner-in-mischief, was slammed last month by Detroit officials who said they want her stripped of her Michigan law license. “This lawsuit, and the lawsuits filed in the other states, are not just damaging to our democratic experiment, they are also deeply corrosive to the judicial process itself,” attorneys for the Motor City wrote to U.S. District Judge Linda Parker.

Following the Jan. 6 riot in Washington—the day Giuliani spoke at the D.C. rally and called for “trial by combat”—the New York State Bar Association moved to expel the once-celebrated New York City mayor, and laid some of the blame for the mob violence at his door. Giuliani, who was the ringleader of Trump’s official election-challenging legal “strike force,” decried the move as a “political act.”

Around the same time, Brad Hoylman, the Democratic chairman of the New York state Senate Judiciary Committee, delivered a formal request to have Trump’s personal lawyer’s license to practice law revoked due to his “participation and role in fomenting a violent insurrectionist attack.”

And like so many in the former president’s good graces who promulgated the pro-Trump lies about the 2020 election, Powell and Giuliani are facing aggressive legal threats from voting tech companies. On Thursday, Smartmatic filed a $2.7 billion suit against several Fox stars, Giuliani, and Powell. "We have no choice," Antonio Mugica, Smartmatic’s founder, told CNN. "The disinformation campaign that was launched against us is an obliterating one. For us, this is existential, and we have to take action."

But after Biden’s Jan. 20 inauguration, Giuliani at least continued to have the ear of his client, still the Republican Party’s most popular figure, by far. According to two people familiar with the matter, Giuliani kept informally advising Trump on impeachment-trial strategy, even after it was made clear to the attorney that he wouldn’t be officially serving on the ex-president’s new legal defense for the February Senate proceedings.

Other lawyers who worked for Trump during the disastrous presidential transition weren’t so lucky, having been used and discarded by the former president’s political operation, and today left without their other jobs.

Early last month, The Washington Post first revealed that Cleta Mitchell was intimately involved with Trump’s scandalous pressure campaign to overturn Biden’s victory in Georgia. She had, mostly under the radar, risen to become Team Trump’s point person in the state, and was on the now-infamous conference call between the Republican president and Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger.

Over many years, Mitchell had earned a reputation as one of the conservative legal universe’s heaviest hitters, and a top-tier campaign finance attorney for right-leaning activists and political candidates. She was a true star in the field. But when her involvement in Trump’s efforts were revealed in January, her high-powered law firm, Foley & Lardner LLP, released a statement claiming it was unaware of the extent of Mitchell’s pro-Trump activity, and said the firm was “concerned” and probing the matter. Shortly thereafter, Mitchell was out of the job.

In December, John Eastman represented Trump before the U.S. Supreme Court when few others—even longtime Trump attorneys—would do so. On the then-president’s behalf, Eastman—a Chapman University law professor who became an outrage-magnet during the 2020 election for openly questioning Sen. Kamala Harris’s citizenship and therefore eligibility to serve as Biden’s running mate—asked the Supreme Court to allow Trump to intervene in a Texas suit that sought to cancel Biden’s victory in four key states.

This legal maneuver, predictably, went nowhere fast. For his time and service, Eastman was rewarded by Trump by having his name floated as a possible member of his legal team for the second Senate trial. Eastman also got a prime speaking slot at the D.C. rally that preceded the bloody riot on Capitol Hill. However, Eastman and Giuliani were soon barred from working on the team, with several top Trump advisers fearing the pair wasn’t serious enough and that they carried too much riot-related baggage with them.

The week after the rioting, Eastman was forced to resign from Chapman, following mounting pressure on the university’s leadership. The separation was acrimonious enough that both Eastman and the university had to pledge not to sue one another. “Chapman and Dr. Eastman have agreed not to engage in legal actions of any kind, including any claim of defamation that may currently exist, as both parties move forward,” Chapman president Daniele Struppa said in a statement at the time.

As for the rest, Jenna Ellis, one of the most gung-ho of Trump’s senior legal advisers, is no longer representing the former president. Starting in early December, she and other Trumpist lawyers suffered a sharp plunge in the frequency of appearances on Fox News and Fox Business, following legal threats made by the voting-tech companies. But at least she still has her job as special counsel for the socially conservative Thomas More Society, and hasn’t lost her Twitter account of nearly 800,000 followers. Nowadays, she can be found tweeting her continued support of the former president, broadsides against the Biden administration, and her thoughts on issues such as why conservative women are definitely “hotter.”

Peter Navarro, President Trump’s top trade adviser in the White House who spent Trump’s final weeks in office compiling and promoting documents that falsely portrayed massive election fraud, is still trying to talk to his former boss—through the TV, at least. On Friday, Navarro appeared on Newsmax TV to urge Trump to once again upturn his legal team. "You get somebody like Matt Gaetz as your lead attorney instead of that stiff [Bruce Castor] you had on," Navarro recommended… before touting his own research. “Then you use the ‘Navarro Report’ and other reports that have been put out as your exhibits A, B, C, and D.”

With the Trump presidency in his rearview mirror, multiple close associates of Navarro say they aren’t sure what his next career move will be, as he’s so inextricably tied himself to his onetime boss.

As for Michael Flynn, Trump’s first national security adviser, he never got his reinstatement or re-elevation in the Trump administration that he and the ex-president had once so desired. In late November, he did, however, finally get his pardon from Trump for his role in the Robert Mueller saga. But in return, Flynn failed to deliver on the authoritarian push to keep Biden out of power, and (thankfully) didn’t have enough powerful takers for his pitch for Trump to proclaim martial law or use the U.S. military to “re-run” the election in electorally crucial states. With his professional reputation in Washington and elsewhere dramatically diminished, he now has to settle for being a folk hero to QAnon kooks.

Down in Palm Beach, Florida, where the twice-impeached 45th president of the United States is prepping with his team for the Senate trial, he’s sometimes letting his boredom with retirement show, even as he tries to project a state of contentment to the public and to his aides. Late last week, Trump’s lawyers and advisers rejected an invitation from House impeachment managers for the former commander in chief to testify. “The president will not testify in an unconstitutional proceeding,” senior Trump adviser Jason Miller flatly told The Daily Beast.

When Trump hasn’t been focusing on his upcoming trial, he’s been golfing. He’s still binging his right-wing media and cable-TV favorites, though even there he’s starting to lose close friends due to the election aftermath. On Friday, the staunchly Trumpy Fox Business announced it had canceled the show of its star, Lou Dobbs, a fervent supporter of the former president who for years also doubled as a key informal adviser to Trump. (Dobbs had been mentioned in Smartmatic’s $2.7 billion lawsuit the day prior.) After the news broke, Trump voiced his support for Dobbs in an official statement, but by Saturday, Dobbs was keeping mostly tight-lipped about the ouster, texting The Daily Beast, “Sorry. No comment at this time.”

When Trump is not watching television or monitoring line-up developments, he still hasn’t bothered devoting an ounce of introspection on the massive body counts and the ravaged nation he left for others to clean up. “He doesn’t have regrets about it, none that I’ve heard,” said one Trump confidant. He’s been scribbling down potential disses and harangues at his political foes, insults that he now cannot tweet himself to the broader public. He’s dictated petulant remarks sent to the Hollywood elites at the Screen Actors Guild who don’t want him anymore.

In recent days, Trump has been phoning close associates regularly about the next impeachment trial—as well as to gossip about Biden, media, the future, and other members of the GOP. His office has also been messaging friends and high-profile allies on his behalf, inviting them to visit him at Mar-a-Lago, according to two knowledgeable sources and written communications reviewed by The Daily Beast.

Some individuals close to the ex-president say he’s started getting lonely and bored with his existence out of power, and misses being constantly surrounded by powerful sycophants and being the center of attention for the news media, U.S. politicos, and leaders abroad. But the ex-president is still living in luxury, and has been recently very confident about his continued standing and influence in the Republican Party and conservative movement.

And he’s not the only veteran of the sprawling, anti-democratic effort to be sitting pretty in early 2021.

Overstock.com founder Patrick Byrne became one of the strangest characters of the last days of the Trump administration, visiting the White House in December, dressed in jeans and a hoodie, scarfing down meatballs, and bickering with Trump’s legal team and administration officials, as he, Flynn, and Powell together pitched the then-president on their democracy-thwarting schemes. But now, with Trump’s dream of overturning the 2020 election in tatters, Byrne appears to be doing comparatively okay—and is blaming just about everyone else for President Biden’s win, turning his blog into the digital burn book of the Trump post-campaign. “Almost every evening, and many early afternoons, Rudy was shit-faced,” Byrne blogged recently. “That, and his podcasts, were the only guarantees in Rudy’s life.” (Byrne declined to comment on this story, saying he wanted to finish his blog series first.)

However thoroughly Byrne was dragging Giuliani and others for their alleged behavior, the Trump attorney didn’t seem to care too much. Asked on Saturday what he thought about Byrne bashing him, Giuliani simply replied to The Daily Beast, “So have you,” without further explaining how this news outlet had “trashed” him lately.

TLDR -- all those who fuck around, shall find out.

• Like 1

On 2/5/2021 at 8:45 AM, TwiceHorn said:

Unfortunately, "I don't remember"/"I don't know" answers are extremely common in litigation and paper discovery (answering written questions).  The only penalty for it is to look foolish and deceitful before a judge or jury.  In the context of the Mueller investigation, it was a no-lose proposition.

and with Trump, you could follow up with:  "Isn't it true that you have said you have 'one of the great memories of all time'?"

"Here's video of you bragging about how great your memory is, right?  You said this?  And you believe it's true?"

"But you don't remember saying that?  You don't remember hearing that?  So you're lying about how great your memory is?  You're not?  So then why can't you remember that?"

he would be a blast to depose.

Edited by Jive Turkey
  • Hook 'Em 3

35 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

and with Trump, you could follow up with:  "Isn't it true that you have said you have 'one of the great memories of all time'?"

"Here's video of you bragging about how great your memory is, right?  You said this?  And you believe it's true?"

"But you don't remember saying that?  You don't remember hearing that?  So you're lying about how great your memory is?  You're not?  So then why can't you remember that?"

he would be a blast to depose.

Actually, you probably leave all the fun follow up out of the deposition and use it at trial.  And with Mueller, there was no trial so there was no fun.

12 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Actually, you probably leave all the fun follow up out of the deposition and use it at trial.  And with Mueller, there was no trial so there was no fun.

I've decided, at least for civil litigation, this is a bad process. Like .1% cases go to trial. Present your strongest case in deposition. Use it to force settlement. Don't hold back for event that will almost certainly not occur.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

I've decided, at least for civil litigation, this is a bad process. Like .1% cases go to trial. Present your strongest case in deposition. Use it to force settlement. Don't hold back for event that will almost certainly not occur.

Yeah, I mean everyone except maybe the witness knows it's coming, although I guess they may not know which "I don't knows" you actually can prove to their detriment.

I have seen some lawyers try to turn their depos into withering cross, which provokes objections and tends to turn everything into a shitshow.

10 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Pee pee whacking?

Her apparent refusal to "waive service," which is a procedure, put her on the hook for the costs of personal service, which sound substantial. https://www.uscourts.gov/sites/default/files/ao399.pdf

She's not going to suffer for it directly, beyond that, but it's not a big credibility booster.

And I am sure she has a litany of bullshit excuses for not waiving service, which gives you 60 days to answer from receipt, rather than 21, when you are served.

Lawyer Lin Wood, a prominent booster of conspiracy theories involving former President Donald Trump, has claimed under oath that he has evidence proving that former Vice President Mike Pence is a "traitor."

Wood stated that he had already handed evidence proving Pence's alleged treachery to the U.S. Secret Service in a court filing on Tuesday. The filing was made in response to an attempt to remove him as the lawyer for Roslyn La Liberte, the plaintiff in a defamation lawsuit against MSNBC anchor Joy Reid.

Reid's attorney cited Wood's claim that Pence is a "traitor" and several other controversial remarks as evidence of his misconduct. Although the Reid suit is being adjudicated in New York state, where Wood is not licensed to practice law, he had previously been granted pro hac vice status, which grants lawyers permission on a case-by-case basis.

"I have credible evidence to support the truth of my description of Former Vice-President Pence as a traitor," Wood wrote in the filing, according to Law & Crime. "I have turned over whistleblower evidence to the United States Secret Service related to Former Vice-President Mike Pence and other high-ranking government officials."

"If desired by this Court, I am prepared to file that evidence along with a considerable amount of evidence of election fraud," Wood continued. "I am not doing so at this time as I do not believe those issues are relevant to the present motion which I believe is nothing more than an effort to smear my reputation and interfere with Plaintiff's Constitutional right to counsel of her choice."

20 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Her apparent refusal to "waive service," which is a procedure, put her on the hook for the costs of personal service, which sound substantial. https://www.uscourts.gov/sites/default/files/ao399.pdf

She's not going to suffer for it directly, beyond that, but it's not a big credibility booster.

And I am sure she has a litany of bullshit excuses for not waiving service, which gives you 60 days to answer from receipt, rather than 21, when you are served.

Some more on this.  I stumbled upon Powell's motion for extension and her lawyer is Larry Joseph, the asshole primarily responsible for Paxton's stupid-ass lawsuit.  https://www.courtlistener.com/docket/29090821/16/us-dominion-inc-v-powell/

38 minutes ago, Bookman said:

There was an amended petition filed today in the Latinos for Trump v. Sessions case. https://www.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.txwd.1120287/gov.uscourts.txwd.1120287.12.0_1.pdf

I intended to read it but I've kind of lost interest at this point.

That's even more deranged than the first one.  Primarily, it cites an article in Time magazine that outlines how disparate groups came together to ensure that the election was free and fair.  https://time.com/5936036/secret-2020-election-campaign/

It purports to be a class action.

Also, the entire lawsuit seems to be premised on this dogshit doggerel, partially authored by Kellye SoRelle.  https://corsination.com/invincible-argument/

This is more insane than any of the Kraken shit.

I don't think Albright is going to take kindly to an amended complaint in partial response to his sua sponte Rule 12 order.

Edited by TwiceHorn

To add to Ted's twitter link:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/even-for-the-trumpist-conspiracy-peddler-sidney-powell-this-was-weird-as-shit?ref=home?ref=home

There was a time when Sidney Powell, the former Donald Trump attorney, welcomed a confrontation with Dominion Voting Systems, the election technology firm demonized by the Trumpist right. But when the moment came for her to be served with a defamation lawsuit, Powell wouldn’t even get out of her car.

On Jan. 28, following Dominion’s prolonged hunt for her “across state lines,” the process server finally caught up to Powell at her home in Biltmore Forest, North Carolina. Dominion has sued major Trumpworld figures Powell and Rudy Giuliani for their false, Trump-backed claims that the voting-tech company was part of a massive conspiracy to rig the election for current Democratic President Joe Biden. Powell helped spearhead some of Trump’s most extremist efforts, and most absurd conspiracy-theory-fueled fantasies, for nullifying Biden’s 2020 victory. Dominion has also sent legal threats to various MAGA allies in the former president’s media and social orbits, leading to a wave of retractions. But in Powell’s case, the former Trump lawyer proved particularly difficult to track down.

On that evening of Jan. 28, the assigned process server spotted Powell and her small entourage pulling into the driveway and arriving back at the North Carolina residence. But as the process server was trying to get a bead on Powell, the cops were already on their way. Someone—it’s unclear who—had called the police.

What ensued was a bizarre, 15-minute back-and-forth, with the cops, Powell and co., and the process server all gathered on the driveway. At one point, an associate of Powell’s seemingly tried to block the server from doing their job, with the Trump-aligned lawyer refusing to be personally served.

Spoiler

“It was weird as shit,” one of the people familiar with the matter said. “Sidney Powell is a lawyer, she knows how this works… Just because you don’t acknowledge the process server’s existence doesn’t mean it didn’t happen.”

This account is based on three sources with knowledge of the matter. A Dominion spokesman did not provide comment on this story as of Thursday afternoon.

One of Powell’s male associates got out of his car and tried to intercept the process server, repeatedly accusing the server of trespassing on private property, and asking this person to leave immediately. When the server made their way to Powell’s vehicle, the MAGA lawyer wouldn’t step out of the car, and did not not verbally respond or acknowledge anything the server said through the car window. The server attempted to give Powell a box full of legal documents—totalling approximately 2,000 pages—and started pulling out specific pages to show the former Trump and Mike Flynn attorney through the window, so she would understand what was happening.

Powell just sat there, unwilling to play ball.

The server subsequently left the box near the driver’s side of Powell’s vehicle before departing. The server’s conversation with the police ended up being cordial, with the cops finding nothing untoward.

Returns of service filed in the case show that two Biltmore Forest police officers witnessed the service alongside "an unidentified male companion of Sidney Powell.”

In an email to The Daily Beast, Powell’s attorney Howard Kleinhendler insisted his client has not been evading service, but instead simply traveling for work.

“On the evening in question, at about 9:30 pm, there was a strange vehicle parked on a private street,” Kleinhendler wrote. “Unfortunately, for the past several months Ms. Powell has had to take extra precautions concerning her security. She was therefore not in a position to approach a stranger, at night, in an unfamiliar vehicle.”

Kleinhendler, who signed on as an attorney in Powell’s so-called “Kraken” lawsuits in Georgiaand Wisconsin during the Trump-Biden transition, joined Powell’s defense team in the defamation case this week. He says his client didn’t call the police but speculated that “the area is regularly patrolled by security who was likely alerted to the suspicious vehicle.”

Biltmore Forest Police Chief Chief Chris Beddingfield told The Daily Beast in a phone call that police were called by a third party not involved in the matter that brought officers to Powell’s home that evening. "We responded to that as a suspicious vehicle call and found that it was in fact a process server and that was the end of our involvement,” he said.

The wrangling over what would ordinarily be routine administrative matters points to a heated legal battle to come in the $1.3 billon suit. Powell’s case is one of two lawsuits filed by Dominion as the company has sought to restore its reputation following a campaign of outlandish smears by Trump and his prominent allies. Even after Powell was ejected from Trump’s official post-election legal team in November for being too extreme, she remained in direct contact with Trump, influencing his anti-democratic moves during the presidential transition that culminated in the deadly riot at the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6.

In addition to Powell, Dominion also filed a similar $1.3 billion suit against Trump attorney Rudy Giuliani and preservation notices sent to conservative media outlets like OANN, Newsmax, and The Epoch Times suggest that more lawsuits from Dominion could be forthcoming.

But the help that Powell has since enlisted to fight off potential legal and financial devastation from Dominion was, much like Powell herself, involved in the broader, unsuccessful operation to try to steal the 2020 presidential election for Trump.

Attorney Larry Joseph, who has played a key role in some of former President Trump’s most important legal battles, is representing Powell in the suit against her, according to a notice of appearance filed on February 4.

As The New York Times first reported late last month, Joseph was part of a team of lawyers close to the Trump campaign—including former Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach and former North Carolina Chief Justice Mark Martin—who drafted a Supreme Court brief to demand the court block Georgia, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin from casting electoral votes for Joe Biden.

According to the Times, the legal team handed off the brief to Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton to file in order to expedite its appearance before the court. Joseph’s name appears on the brief as a “Special Counsel to the Attorney General of Texas”—an uncompensated role Paxton gave Joseph shortly before Texas filed its case. Then-President Trump, via his attorney (and Kamala Harris birther) John Eastman, would subsequently ask the Supreme Court to let him intervene in the suit.

Joseph also filed an amicus brief on behalf of Eagle Forum, a conservative activist nonprofit founded by Phyllis Schlafly, which urged the Supreme Court to throw out House Democrats' subpoenas for Trump's tax returns.

Jesse Binnall, a former Trump campaign attorney also involved in the attempts to overturn the 2020 election in court, is representing Defending the Republic, a nonprofit named as a defendant in the suit alongside Powell. Powell formed Defending the Republic alongside Lin Wood in early December in order to support the so-called “Kraken” lawsuits—suits, separate from the Texas Supreme Court suit, which demanded officials in battleground states throw out election results based on a variety of bizarre conspiracy theories.

Binnall appeared before the Senate Homeland Security committee in December and claimed that 42,000 people in the state voted more than once—a claim that experts have since debunked.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

What could possibly go wrong.

And here's the full post:

EuCmj7xXMAQ6XC3?format=jpg&name=medium

His record really isn't all that great.  And it's mostly plaintiffing, not defending.  And he was probably sane(r).

Edited by TwiceHorn

I went to a second-rate law school, so some attorney remind me of a good analogous precedent where the attorney defending the insanely incompetent defendant was himself actually even more insanely incompetent.  

On 2/5/2021 at 3:50 PM, Mrs Whiggins said:

I spent ten minutes today skimming the ag site and they are livid about some article in Time magazine that was titled (paraphrase) Secret History behind the election..." and it was a bit explaining how all the different people, groups, and agencies worked to make the elections free and fair, to stop voter suppression, and to stem disinformation. They are convinced that this proves it WAS a democratic conspiracy.

I read the entire article and was just flabbergasted at how they could draw this conclusion.

Thread here: https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/3181076

Article here: https://time.com/5936036/secret-2020-election-campaign/

I mean, how do they draw this conclusion based on reading this?

C'mon.  You know the answer.

Spoiler

They're aggy.