2018 Running Back Thread

Disco Missile

Last year the RB position was by committee, like several other positions. Warren and Porter started the year going essentially 50/50, although Warren got the majority of receptions out of the backfield and Porter did more pass pro. However, Warren got more than half of his seasons total yardage vs. SJSU and eventually lost carries to Carter. By KSU Carter was getting as many carries as Porter and Warren, but Carter was in trouble with the coaches for much of the season for mistakes, practice issues, and who knows what, so he didn't get the playing time his production called for. By Baylor, Young emerged as the top performer and by Kansas he was the primary RB. 

2017 RB stats:

Daniel Young - 373 yards, 4.6 ypc, 3 TD.  153 receiving yards, 1TD 
Chris Warren - 314 yards, 4.4 ypc, 6 TD.  229 receiving yards, 2 TD
Kyle Porter - 261 yards, 3.1 ypc, 4 TD.  43 receiving yards, 1 TD
Toneil Carter - 252 yards, 4.8 ypc, 3 TD.  31 receiving yards, 1 TD.

This year the starting spot is once again for grabs. Young and Carter underperformed in the Spring Game, and Porter is still Porter. 

I'll update this post weekly during the season with stats.

I'm not really worried about this position like most are. Young will be solid; Ingraham will be solid-er. I know relying on a true freshman is frowned upon, but RB is one of the few positions where that's not as big a worry.

Depth might be a problem, of course, which is why I'd love to get Watson in the fold, but as of this moment, I ain't skeerd.

Young is special based on what I saw from him last year, and as just a freshman that is awesome. Carter is a good change of pace back too. I think we will be fine at RB. I'm looking foward to having an improved offensive line under Hand and calling more running plays this year. No need for tricky plays, just open a lane for these guys, they can do great things in the running game. 

13 minutes ago, Sidney Sherman said:

Young is special based on what I saw from him last year, and as just a freshman that is awesome. Carter is a good change of pace back too. I think we will be fine at RB. I'm looking foward to having an improved offensive line under Hand and calling more running plays this year. No need for tricky plays, just open a lane for these guys, they can do great things in the running game. 

I think you’re confusing “special” with “serviceable”.  you don’t seem to understand what special means. 

6 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I'm not really worried about this position like most are. Young will be solid; Ingraham will be solid-er. I know relying on a true freshman is frowned upon, but RB is one of the few positions where that's not as big a worry.

LOL.  I don't understand how Texas, of almost any school. could have fans who don't worry about running back given our current stable.  We've had the privilege of watching Earl, Ricky, Priest, Jamaal, Cedric, Ramonce, D'Onta and God knows who else and you're not worried about this collection of utter spares?

I hope Ingram is the shit, because the rest are . . . well, not great.  Watch UGA to see what a running back looks like and get back to us.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Depth might be a problem, of course, which is why I'd love to get Watson in the fold, but as of this moment, I ain't skeerd.

Whoa, keep your RB talk in CR!

16 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Gagreed.  Henry Shelton played a lot as a true freshman. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, pacman said:

How did Young disappoint in the Spring game?

Stats have him down for only 3 carries, 17 yards.

Doesn't seem like he had much of a chance to disappoint or impress.

This would be truth. My guess is that this thread will be pretty much forgotten by the time conference play rolls around, unless somebody wants to bump it for funzies.

Priest and D'Onta came into their own a little later in their careers here. Charles, Benson, Ricky all showed out as true freshmen. I think we will know what we have with Ingram after this season, but that won't necessarily shut the door on Carter or Young. I never would have guessed that D'Onta would end up doing what he did.

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I don't think Young disappointed . . . I just don't think he has what it takes to be an good to great D1 running back.  I would SO love to be wrong, because otherwise, we're pretty much hoping Ingram kicks ass as a true freshman.

This comment has potential to be hilarious in the future, like the people who thought D’Onta Foreman was not special early in his career. 

And Young has already shown that he is a good D-1 running back. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sejjr said:

This comment has potential to be hilarious in the future, like the people who thought D’Onta Foreman was not special early in his career. 

His carries were given to JGray, so this is his reasoning.

1 hour ago, Sejjr said:

Like I said, I hope I'm wrong.

• 2 weeks later...