Any of you follow Keto/Low Carb? - share food pics/recipes

Fat Bastard

Been doing keto with intermittent fasting for a little over 4 months. Down almost 60 lbs. always trying to find new ways to eat shit without getting sick of food. Breakfast is usually 4 eggs scrambled with a splash of heavy cream and 3 strips of bacon.

Below is tonight’s dinner. Been craving spaghetti/lasagna so made some lasagna with sliced deli rotisserie chicken as the noodles. Worked amazingly well. Didn’t notice any competing flavors and texture was spot on. Caprese shown below too (mozzarella hidden under the basil). Will try to post more shit as I make them. Hoping some of u guys could contribute too.

71a8064e309fdd020acc2ab35e8e2953.jpg

96e8e7802a45bcd270eb029c9719e712.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 4

15 hours ago, Fat Bastard said:

Been doing keto with intermittent fasting for a little over 4 months. Down almost 60 lbs. always trying to find new ways to eat shit without getting sick of food. Breakfast is usually 4 eggs scrambled with a splash of heavy cream and 3 strips of bacon.

Below is tonight’s dinner. Been craving spaghetti/lasagna so made some lasagna with sliced deli rotisserie chicken as the noodles. Worked amazingly well. Didn’t notice any competing flavors and texture was spot on. Caprese shown below too (mozzarella hidden under the basil). Will try to post more shit as I make them. Hoping some of u guys could contribute too.

71a8064e309fdd020acc2ab35e8e2953.jpg

96e8e7802a45bcd270eb029c9719e712.jpg

I'm on my first week. Feeling good!
spacer.png

My best friend lives in NorCal. Sent me a pic from his local Costco selling certified A5 Kobe at $99/lb. I went to the greenway Costco during my lunch break ready to buy hundreds of dollars of those steaks but none to be found. They also had stopped carrying the tied up ribeye caps for the last few months and those are my favorite cuts they have.

So, I emailed corporate about my disappointment and lo and behold the ribeye caps were in stock today. Doubt my email has anything to do with it but I’ll take it as a win. Portioned for the sous vide and into the freezer. Can’t wait.

27f34823e6c58c2a7b5ae134ff52e091.jpg

92b405da18031cc9a531cd93a7a157ad.jpg

Gordon Ramsey's short ribs recipe and his sticky ribs recipe.  Sub some swerve brown sugar for the honey in the sticky ribs recipe.  Both are fantastic. They're are some carbs on the short ribs because of the red wine and tomato paste and the sticky ribs have a few because of the swerve but it can't be more than a few.  I haven't done the math.  

19 hours ago, futureman said:

if I run 3-4 miles every other day and eat no carbs and lots of fatty meats and green veggies how quickly can I drop 40#?  I’m 250 now, pretty ideal around 200-210.  big guy.  I want a timeframe if I do it hardcore. 

I lost 30 in 3 months without exercise besides walking. 

27 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

Adding intermittent fasting will help. 

I’ve considered a bbq keto diet via intermittent fasting.  every third day eat two pounds of fatty brisket.  fast the two days in between, consuming two gallons of water on each of the days.  maybe I’ll give it a shot. 

15 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I’m not a low carb Nazi but the Mission carb balance (wheat) or 2 net carbs and 45 calories apiece. It is great for super easy quick meals, like a turkey wrap or a hit dog. Would highly recommend. 

image.thumb.jpeg.6f2a089cf5db678d69ff6c771757c14b.jpeg

I kept these around with different shredded cheeses for a quick snack. Just zap in microwave. 

• Hook 'Em 1

All right, so I'm ready to take the plunge (after Thanksgiving of course...).  I've checked out these various sites and they all have a ton of great recipes, but are y'all cooking this kind of stuff every day?  Or do you have like your go-to's, normal keto meals you eat regularly and then mix it up with something special once in a while.  I figure I'll just stick to meat and veggies to start out, I just need to get into a rhythm first.  Giving up the alcohol's gonna be hard, but done it before, just takes mind power, Swede, mind power.  

4 minutes ago, UTCzech III said:

All right, so I'm ready to take the plunge (after Thanksgiving of course...).  I've checked out these various sites and they all have a ton of great recipes, but are y'all cooking this kind of stuff every day?  Or do you have like your go-to's, normal keto meals you eat regularly and then mix it up with something special once in a while.  I figure I'll just stick to meat and veggies to start out, I just need to get into a rhythm first.  Giving up the alcohol's gonna be hard, but done it before, just takes mind power, Swede, mind power.  

I find it is pretty easy to convert regular family meals to keto - it helps that I pick and prepare the meals.  For example, last night was burgers, fries, and slaw - ketoed means burger w/o bun and slaw for me.  Fish night usually consists of fish, rice, and vegs - me = no rice.  I find that most proteins work well on a salad (steak, chicken, taco meat, etc.).  Every once in a while I'll go to the trouble of making keto breaded chicken or twice baked cauliflower for everyone.  I don't like spending too much time trying to make keto things taste like regular things.  Keto pizza crust was just not work the effort for me.

• Hook 'Em 1

I started eating the Atkins stuff....

drink one of their shakes when I wake up, their breakfast bowl a few hours later, frozen lunch, snack bar, and frozen dinner with a side salad. 

So far it keeps me full through the day and I’m getting to eat 5 times a day. Dropped soda about a week ago or more. I just drink water, unsweet tea, black coffeee. 

today I had a g zero 32 is Gatorade. 

so far it seems easy to do. Going to do this for a month then switch to making my own breakfast scramble and possibly low carb dinners. Keep the frozen lunch because it’s easy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

I find it is pretty easy to convert regular family meals to keto - it helps that I pick and prepare the meals.  For example, last night was burgers, fries, and slaw - ketoed means burger w/o bun and slaw for me.  Fish night usually consists of fish, rice, and vegs - me = no rice.  I find that most proteins work well on a salad (steak, chicken, taco meat, etc.).  Every once in a while I'll go to the trouble of making keto breaded chicken or twice baked cauliflower for everyone.  I don't like spending too much time trying to make keto things taste like regular things.  Keto pizza crust was just not work the effort for me.

Yeah, it's just me and the missus, can't see making these big meals that we'll either be eating for days on end or letting them sit in the fridge until they go bad.  I just need to find a few staples that I can get comfortable making and branch out from there.  Definitely can do grilled fish/chops/chicken and veggies/salad for a while.  I know I can do it, I can eat the same shit every day if I have to, it's getting the wife on board, she gets bored easily, she'll stick to it for a week or so, but then have to have a margarita and that just fucks it all up.  

3 hours ago, UTCzech III said:

The good news is you don't have to give up all alcohol. Beer is the worst for keto. I'm not a beer drinker so wasn't a big deal for me. A glass or two of most wines are fine.  Mrs. MO and I will split a bottle on Friday. Dessert wines and such have more sugar. Also most liquor is ok. Bourbon, vodka, rum etc. are all keto as long as you stick to a pour or two. Mixed drinks are when you get in trouble. You can buy diet tonic, so a vodka tonic is doable. Anything with simple syrup, triple sec and such are a no. There are still calories, so even though they are keto, you still have to be careful. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

The good news is you don't have to give up all alcohol. Beer is the worst for keto. I'm not a beer drinker so wasn't a big deal for me. A glass or two of most wines are fine.  Mrs. MO and I will split a bottle on Friday. Dessert wines and such have more sugar. Also most liquor is ok. Bourbon, vodka, rum etc. are all keto as long as you stick to a pour or two. Mixed drinks are when you get in trouble. You can buy diet tonic, so a vodka tonic is doable. Anything with simple syrup, triple sec and such are a no. There are still calories, so even though they are keto, you still have to be careful. 

I prefer ranch waters to vodka/tonic 

• Hook 'Em 1

Started back on this yesterday.

I hate the first few days. Once I'm in ketosis I'm good. 

Wife said she was getting something for the boys on the way home. Only 9 carbs in 8 chik fil a nuggets!

My goto snacks: pickles, deviled eggs, pepper jack cheese.

I hate those low carb tortillas, taste like cardboard to me.

The wife and I are both retiring at the end of December.  We have both been on Keto previously and had good results.  Looking forward to being able to sample some of these wonderful recipes while at home.  Thanks for posting this thread.

21 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Keto fucks my cholesterol up. 

2 hours ago, Fat Bastard said:

Keto certainly raised my lipids big time. I upped the crestor and started zetia to combat both the endogenous and exogenous cholesterol 

My cholesterol actually came down. I'm guessing it was more due to losing 35 pounds. 

On 11/20/2020 at 6:49 PM, Mo Horn said:

My cholesterol actually came down. I'm guessing it was more due to losing 35 pounds. 

I think it’s how u go about doing the keto, tbh. At first I was doing “dirty” keto, just eating gobs of shit minus the associated carbs. Have since tried to throw in more salads and veggies with less reliance on pure animal fats/proteins.  But it’s hard. 

10 minutes ago, Fat Bastard said:

I think it’s how u go about doing the keto, tbh. At first I was doing “dirty” keto, just eating gobs of shit minus the associated carbs. Have since tried to throw in more salads and veggies with less reliance on pure animal fats/proteins.  But it’s hard. 

No doubt. We always have a fresh vegetable or salad with pretty much every meal. One small downside is that my blood pressure has gone up a bit. Not to dangerous levels, but a slight increase. I think it's due to more salt intake due to eating more nuts, beef jerky, bacon, and such. Doctor put me on a diuretic 3 days a week and that's helped. 

• 1 month later...

Dunno if it's been mentioned up above but I "discovered" rutabaga for the first time yesterday.  

Just cook it like you would mashed potatoes - boiled, mashed, salt, pepper, butter, milk. It only has around 5 carbs per serving and is very similar to potatoes but with more flavor - kind of like Yukon gold potatoes with a hint of carrot and cabbage flavor.

Made some lamb curry last night and it was a great substitute for rice.

Lamb Curry:

https://myfoodstory.com/slow-cooker-lamb-curry-recipe/

i doubled the meat to around 4 pounds and kept all the other ingredients the same. It turned out perfect.

Mashed Rutabaga:

https://deliciouslittlebites.com/mashed-rutabaga/

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/17/2020 at 2:56 PM, Jerry Callo said:

If you have an Aldi store around you, their Zero Net Carbs Bread is really good.

Really glad I saw this post. There's an Aldi 2 minutes from my house. I've been buying this stuff for a few weeks now. Doesn't taste half bad (especially toasted) and it costs about 50% of the zero-carb bread they sell at HEB.

I'm giving their low-carb tortillas a shot tonight for fish tacos. $1.49 for a package of 8, lolz. 

Just had these delivered...1 carb tortillas.  Tried one cold out of the bag and it was actually pretty decent. Tasted like a white boy "healthy" wheat tortilla.  Didn't have the stale cardboard taste of regular low carb tortillas.  They're small and thin but 15 calories and 1 carb.  Looks like it should heat up really well in a skillet. I'll do some birria tacos with it.

https://mrtortilla.com/products/1-carb

Edited by CooterBrown

Been Keto for almost 3 years. In short you need to almost eliminate carbs to get yourself into Ketosis (3-5 days.) Then you can ease the carbs back in to about 30-50 carbs/day (depending on your weight.) After that it’s pretty much cruise control. Lost 20-25 pounds in the first 3 months, stayed there ever since.

The thing I love about Keto is that it’s easy to stay on it and you need to get off it occasionally. (Like every other month or so I take the week off, usually around a holiday.) This is purportedly to let your liver know you will still give it carbs. (Otherwise your liver will actually start producing glucose on its own.) I gorge on my fav carbs during the time off and am totally ready for Keto after the fun. Somehow I gain very little weight during the Keto vacations.

Get blood work every 6 months and all my numbers remain good to better. No problem with booze especially in moderation. I seem to fart less and burp more in ketosis. This is probably good.

The thing that worked for me was a fairly low carb/low sugar diet with Cardio and weights every other day.

Basically " Body for Life," but it's not around anymore.  EAS bought out Bill Phillps I believe.

Anyway, I'm not as strict as I used to be but I try and stay as low carb/sugar as possible.