Parler = Trumpkin Facebook....?

Aqua Buddha

6 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

It's more like Twitter with fewer people, and more right leaning folks. I just use it to get notices for youtube, since youtbe's notification sucks ass.

Ah, so that's where you get all the notices for the stupid videos you post. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 5

7 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Right wing grifters have been announcing loud exits from Facebook/twitter/Instagram for years.  First it was gab, but now apparently Parler is trying to challenge Gabs right-wing/white-supremacist/asshole-grifter demographic.   Either way they all always end up back.  

This.  Decent advertisers aren't going to places like Parler, to sponsor qanon bullshit.  FB dumped a lot of groups/people, because advertisers don't want to deal with that shit.

1 minute ago, cmontexas said:

Gab didnt catch on and this wont either. Chuds get bored with no libs to ANNHILIATE WITH FACTS

Bingo. 

They don't last because it's cool to hang out with like minded individuals, but eventually you have to argue. That's part of why CR works. If it truly was an echo chamber it would be boring as hell. The bigwigs don't stay on Parler, eg Cruz, he's in Twitterville because that's where the action is. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

Gab didnt catch on and this wont either. Chuds get bored with no libs to ANNHILIATE WITH FACTS

Never had heard of either Gab or Parler until today.

Why don't they just come to Surly?

2 hours ago, aggie08 said:

I tend to disagree. I can't imagine anyone joining Parler isn't already about that life. It's when they get the to attract those on the fringe that it becomes problematic. Facebook has an audience that Parler will never, ever have.

Well, the concept is dangerous.

I suspect that it's failing because there are no libtards to retweet and pwn for followers.

17 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

That's what this reminded me of too.  Bunch of nerds started crying about Reddit closing down toxic subreddits that were threatening and harassing people, so the dorks wanting to harass others tried to get people to switch to Gab.  It never caught on.

This will be the same.  I've seen a handful of my Trumpiest friends saying they're shutting down their Facebook for Parler and giving out their new handles.  Once they get there and find they only know 6 real life people on that site, they'll be back on Facebook.

Hopefully my FB feed will get a break from the stupidity while they're on vacation 

Edited by Tom
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, BradInATX said:

So Parler is the Daily Texan board?

No, it's TexAgs and FreeRepublic boiled down to short posts.  It's probably just as restrictive as FR and TexAgs as well (don't suck off the Cheeto on FR, you get the boot).

Except TexAgs and FR are solvent every year.  Is Parler breaking even?  I know Dan Bongina bought an "ownership stake".

And there's no way in hell TexAgs and FR would let a bunch of Saudis on, like Parler did, even if they are supporters Mohammed bin Salman.

4 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

I noticed my more Trump Facebook friends are going to something called “Parler.”  Anyone know what that is?  I assume it’s a place to swap Q Anon theories.

That would be the best thing for FB.  Get the trash off the platform while maintaining as rates.  Then again, FB prolly secretly owns it.

You should tell him "parler" is the French word for "speak" or "talk."  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

And there's no way in hell TexAgs and FR would let a bunch of Saudis on, like Parler did, even if they are supporters Mohammed bin Salman.

That's what surprised me when I looked up Parler.  Hard core right wingers...and Saudi Nationalists?

Yeah I would have guessed that connection eventually...after about 10,000 guesses or so.

Edit: welp, Jimmy James nails the connection there, 2 posts above..

Edited by slorch

48 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

It's more like Twitter with fewer people, and more right leaning folks. I just use it to get notices for youtube, since youtbe's notification sucks ass.

youtube suggestion algorithm trying to find harder right content when it realizes you've connected to parler for notifications

image.thumb.png.54603fdc955083c1c196aef79daf8bb2.png

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

The problem with any ultra right wing web site like Parler is it inevitably turns to talk about killing the Jews again and then it don’t work no more. 

Oh, and Kamala's hubby is the first Jewish spouse of a President or Vice-President.

So this is going to be a fun little trip.

14 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Oh, and Kamala's hubby is the first Jewish spouse of a President or Vice-President.

So this is going to be a fun little trip.

Dammit, he's taking Jared's place.  He was going to be the first Jewish spouse when Ivanka is elected in 2024

Okay, starting to get a little worried. Had a few fringe friends make exodus declarations...the usual suspects who I just laughed at. But I just saw 2 more people I know very well make the move to Parler that I thought were sane Trump voters, including my highly successful FBI agent brother-in-law  There are apparently way more people that find Facebook's censorship of only the batshittiest of the batshit outright lies to to be too repressive than I would have guessed. Unreal.

2 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

How long before Parler begins to resemble Storm Front?

Today?

An Arkansas police chief has resigned after he posted messages on a right-wing social media site that appeared to urge people to assault "Marxist" Democrats over the presidential election, the mayor said.

Kevin Elliot, the mayor of Marshall, a city of roughly 1,200 people about 100 miles north of Little Rock, said in a statement Saturday that he "condemned" the comments by Police Chief Lang Holland.

"The Marshall community does not in any way support or condone bullying or threats of violence to anyone of any political persuasion," he said. "We are a welcoming community that is humbly working to build a bright future for ALL our citizens."

Elliot said that after he consulted with lawyers about Holland's posts, which appeared on the site Parler, he met with Holland, who resigned effective immediately.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/arkansas-police-chief-resigns-after-appearing-call-violence-over-election-n1247059

• Like 1

Just now, tantric superman said:

Are you retarded?

There are plenty of people who voted for Trump solely (or at least primarily) because they think he helps their bottom line and lean Republican anyway, but still think he's a nutjob and don't buy into the Looney Tunes conspiracy theories. It doesn't exactly make them great humanitarians, but it still falls under the umbrella of "sane." 

People fleeing Facebook's oppressive regime to discuss the truth behind the extra ballots...less so.

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Texags posters are currently posting stories that they wont go to Thanksgiving dinner with their families because there might be a liberal there.

They are bonked in the head. 

Fuck'em more turkey for the rest of us.

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

Okay, starting to get a little worried. Had a few fringe friends make exodus declarations...the usual suspects who I just laughed at. But I just saw 2 more people I know very well make the move to Parler that I thought were sane Trump voters, including my highly successful FBI agent brother-in-law  There are apparently way more people that find Facebook's censorship of only the batshittiest of the batshit outright lies to to be too repressive than I would have guessed. Unreal.

can't even begin to think of what is coming 4 years down the road. holy shit. 

seriously, try talking to some of these people. its dangerous to let them get further into a hole like that.