Parler = Trumpkin Facebook....?

Aqua Buddha

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

How's about less worrying about how things would mix and just focus on the fact that you'd be inviting a group of people who happily embrace a culture of hate and ignorance? We could cut out the middle man and just invite Stormfront and The Base and every other white supremacist group here as well...but again, seems like a bad idea. 

So this is really something that is sticking with me from Dave Chappelle's monologue.

"Come get your nigga lessons" - learning how to live with being ignored or unheard is not something someone should ever have to do, but that more and more seems to be the American way. I don't really know a single person who voted for Trump who has actually read any policy or who had substantive evidence that Trump being re-elected was going to have real benefits for them personally. 
We've started to run our country based on "feelings" and the person who got us doing that was supposed to be the "experimental businessman" who took feelings completely out of the equation and made us a nation that approached problems in a more business first manner. 

I'm starting to think that the same people who think that big business is done with friends and emotional response have been left behind. Business hasn't been done that way in more than a decade. The handshake deal is dead and gone. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Having two entirely different realities is already killing this country.  And one of those realities is utterly fucking deranged, and not reality at all.  I don't mean policy positions - I can argue with people about the best path forward/policy as to the second amendment and gun control, tax policy, etc.  Those aren't realities -- they are ideas and opinions.

But a "reality" that says that the only reason liberals even exist is because Soros writes us checks, there is a massive deep state built on pedophilia, and Trump is the hero who has been working the entire time to bring them down, and nobody really voted for "dims" it was all fraud, China engineered and released a virus to hurt Donald Trump (yes, that's how self-absorbed these people are), all that shit (seriously, stacks and stacks of "facts" like that to the moon)....well, that reality is incompatible with any possibility of good governance.

You can't argue with irrationality and refusal to believe facts/totally manufactured facts.

• Hook 'Em 5

2 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

I wish my wife would let me use that as an excuse.

That's the funny/sad part: it's all just bluster. Their wives are going to tell them, "No, we're not skipping Thanksgiving with my parents just because cousin Brad will be there you fucking moron."

"Yes, dear."

29 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

WE’RE IN!!!

@immamac should I create a thread for surly Parler content?

FF1F17FE-670E-4BEC-BE02-FD5E13B9802E.jpeg

So are they gonna censor any voice of truth and reason? My guess is yes, but give your best Surly! And post it here, because I am not going to go anywhere near it directly.

45 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

99% may go open a Parler account but they won't delete FB. They have FB open for hours a day, there is no way they can pull themselves away. 

Do people really argue that much on FB?  Isn't your network mostly friends and family?  How fucking contentious could it be?

FWIW, my wife has shut me down on Fb twice.  Once for calling out a Karen and blowing up her stupidity on a neighborhood page( you had to be a confirmed resident,) and the other for telling some aggys in the family to put a sock in it, and they didn't like it, so I defended my position with minimal effort, but they became...um...a little bit mad.

Point of all that is, where do folks go on FB to argue politics to the point that it becomes a fight?( rhetorical)

5 minutes ago, J.R. Juniors Junior Jr. said:

Call me a snob, but I preferred Facebook when you had to prove affiliation with a college to join.  It went downhill when all the townie randos came on board.  I went to college to put those idiots behind me.

Yep. I remember my buddy in 2004 telling me to join FB and how much better it was than MySpace. I refused for a bit. Now I’m off FB entirely. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I use all my Jane Goodall Studying Chimps energy monitoring local talk radio while I work. Some of the hosts are tolerable-- this morning the Never-Married Eloquent Theater-Major guy was telling the Stop The Steal folks that he understood how they felt, but they needed to report evidence if they had any, otherwise Biden won.

The callers though-- seems like you have to be a 40-year-old who talks like an 80-year-old to get on the air.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Thinking of signing up for Parler to post dank anti republican/trump memes 

I'm betting they are Texags-like, lightning quick on the dump button/ bannation.

20 hours ago, Mole said:

We need massive public education about what social media actually is as well as how cable news isn’t actually news.

Seconded on both points.

Facebook was actually a great thing in the days before they needed to make money. At first, sharing a link to an article easily actually required me to install a browser plugin, and I was one of the few people who did so. The rest of it was seeing your friend's photos and thoughts, and only those things, and ALL of their photos and thoughts. But they needed to make money, so they changed it. They made it to where linking to an article (or sharing one) was easier than sharing your own thoughts and photos, and then changed the algorithm to where your feed would NOT show you every post. And everything nice about it, all the reasons I joined it, died.

Same thing for cable news. And not just cable news, but internet news. I've referenced Trust Me; I'm Lying before. 

What's the solution? The solution is: Subscriptions.

Remember back when Something Awful was the forum from whence all memes came? They had a $5 one-time charge to sign up. This did two things. First, it prevented bots from signing up tons of spam accounts. Second, when your "$5 and no refund" is on the line, you actually respect the rules. (Walter_Sobchak.gif). And the $9.95 sites used to be good for a similar reason. If you are the customer instead of the product, then you're going to have a better time with social media.

Ryan Holiday covers the history of Yellow Journalism, and how the NYTimes' push for subscriptions led to better journalism. Well, history repeated itself; there's a lot of hate for WaPo's and NYTimes' paywalls, but those paywalls have managed to allow those two papers to recover. (And my local library allows everyone with a card to read NYTimes and LATimes for free with quick-and-easy one-day subscriptions, so I don't even have to do that.)

BUT BASICALLY... changing the quality of the services demands changing where the money to pay for it comes from. Stuff paid for by ads has to be sensational.

• Hook 'Em 5

22 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

Soros owns a big stake in Parler through a holding corp.

Pass it on.

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

And WeMe is Chinese owned, just like Pei Wei. But you didn’t hear that from me. 

What I see here is an original source of information and then an independent confirmation. I believe it. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

That TexAgs stuff makes me sad. My sister had already blocked basically the entire family, including her own kids, from basically all her social media and doesn't come to family gatherings (that my left-wing self almost always hosts and pays for) so any updates I get are backchannel. I call her every couple of weeks and she just doesn't seem to have much of a life outside of hating her husband and hating liberals and most minorities.

Pics of bitter isolated sister not showing up.