Mass Effect Legendary Edition

Storm the Field

Bioware finally confirmed that they're releasing remastered, upgraded versions of the original Mass Effect Trilogy.

Mass Effect Legendary Edition includes single-player base content and DLC from Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2, and Mass Effect 3, plus promo weapons, armors, and packs - all remastered and optimized for 4K Ultra HD.

It's due out spring 2021 for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC, with forward compatibility and targeted enhancements on Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5.

They also confirmed that an all new game in the franchise is currently in development.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, iodeac said:

Never played any of these.  Are all three really good?

Absolutely.  Agree with the DR., the ending of 3 was very disappointing.  I bought a 360 to play the first one.  Money well spent.  Andromeda (4th game not in the LE) is definitely the weak link but honestly I found it at least worth the money and I got close to finishing it.

Edited by Hozz

1 minute ago, Longboard Horn said:

Need to play these on pc. Only played them on xbox. Might jizz my pants over the new legendary edition. 

check out https://www.nexusmods.com/masseffect for mods. You'll have to wait awhile for them if you're gonna play Legendary Edition, but one of the first ones should be an Xbox controller mod.  Of course if it's released on steam I think it might have controller support built in. 

One thing I'd like to know is if they're just going to upgrade the graphics or are they going to change anything? It would be nice if they made the character models uniform throughout the series. Liara had at least 4 different faces from ME1 to ME3. Ashley looked like a different person in ME3 compared to ME1.

Probably too much to ask for them to complete some of the never finished missions on plot lines though.

Edited by Viper

On 11/9/2020 at 1:09 PM, iodeac said:

Never played any of these.  Are all three really good?

Yes; I've played through the original series four times and am on a fifth right now.  The gameplay differs just enough between the classes to make it worth trying them all.  You've probably - or maybe not - read about the ending so I won't go into it, but there are different story threads that you can experience by following different threads through different playthroughs: romances, rolling with different squadmates, full Paragon, full renegade, FailShep, etc. 

Def worth a shot.  If you can, wait for the Legendary Edition (which will have all the DLCs).  

Edited by Dutch

• 6 months later...

Any word on whether the Legendary Edition of ME1 still has the "Simon"-esque decryption minigame on console? Never had an issue with it until my most recent playthrough last year.  Apparently my reflexes have dulled just enough since 2007 to make that thing damn near impossible (even playing with my own decryption at Master and usual squadmate Tali fully maxed) until mid-game when I had enough surplus gear and cash to just omni-gel 'em all after two attempts. 

#TeamTali

1 hour ago, Viper said:

debating between Sentinel and Vanguard

That's a big part of why the series is so great, IMHO.  The gameplay with different classes are just different enough that playing each one is rewarding in its own right.

Edited by Dutch

Downloading now. I usually don't pay full price for a game or buy on release day, especially not a remake of something I've already played, but I figure this will get me 100+ hours of playtime across the 3 games over the next 2 months or so. I can probably swing $0.60/hour for high quality entertainment.

Started playing it on Day 1, I'll enjoy my playthrough because I loved the series and it has been long enough to where I forgot some of the storylines and I didn't play all the DLCs. However,  (little nitpick, not enough for me to trash it, just some thoughts) I was a bit let down with the animation remaster and that they kept it 3 separate games launched separately. I don't know what exactly I expected, and I can tell the graphics are updated, but the animations still are the same, and therefore a bit jerky, so while it has a fresh coat, it still looks a bit dated overall. Again, just a minor nitpick, I'll still enjoy my new playthrough.

16 hours ago, Viper said:

what is everyone playing it on? I'm curious of the difference between 4k and HD.

I preordered off Amazon 2 weeks ago and it still has not been delivered.  First time I have had a game pre order issue with them.  

I got a series X, will report back.

You're going to get great fps and resolution because it's still an old game running on an older engine, it just has a new coat of paint slapped on it. I am running it in HDR. 3840x2160 (16:9)

Edited by MillerEP

Played through a decent chunk of the first part of ME1 this weekend. Enjoying it, but man, I forgot how repetitive the environments are on the side missions. The enemy bunkers have the exact same layout on every planet. Go in, kill 6 or 7 enemies on the first floor, kill a few more upstairs, loot the crates/safes in the offices and then leave.

18 hours ago, APMP said:

I spent several hundred hours on this series but remember being so mad at the ending that I have refused to played a Bioware game since.

Yeah the last game really shit on what the previous two games had built.  The whole galaxy score bullshit was fucking maddening.  It's a single player franchise and all of a sudden you have to do some contrived multiplayer crap in order to get the 'best' ending which was still dogshit.  I never revisited the game after the ending patch it left such a bad taste in my mouth.

21 hours ago, APMP said:

I spent several hundred hours on this series but remember being so mad at the ending that I have refused to played a Bioware game since.

The writers left after the second game so they had to come up with a new ending and dropped where it was heading (the star going supernova early in Tali's recruitment mission)

• 1 year later...