Thirty years ago today...

Dennis Taylor

Early 90s Horns games. This game, Phil Dawson’s game winning kick against Virginia and Westbrook’s hit against Norte Dame were the highlights of this mediocre era. No one wearing burnt orange. You’d usually see more guys wearing a navy polo with a Longhorn emblem than anyone donning orange. Showing up late was the norm. Mack doesn’t get enough credit for changing the culture with Come Early, Wear Orange and Stay Late. Those UH teams ran up the score against terrible to good teams. They’d get creamed by top notch programs. Remember them getting blasted by the U the next season. UH needs to go back to the skinny UH logo for their helmets.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

Actually, it was the same season as the UH game -- it was in the bowl game.  What a miserable Cotton Bowl that was. 

Worst game in my UT football watching experience and I went to the Cotton Bowl 2000 when we lost to OU by almost 60. UH played Miami the next season in 1991 and lost 40-10. That was the end of Jenkins and UH

Edited by Macklemore

Remember it well, first year we bought a ticket package.  Sitting in north endzone, a drunk acquaintance who was a UH alum spotted us and came over to talk BS.  He left in a hurry, thank you Longhorns for a great time.  And that was, to this day, the loudest we have ever heard the stadium except for the aggy ass kicking later that year.

8 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Worst game in my UT football watching experience and I went to the Cotton Bowl 2000 when we lost to OU by almost 60. UH played Miami the next season in 1991 and lost 40-10. That was the end of Jenkins and UH

The Cotton Bowl vs Miami was the worst game experience for me and I was at Rout 66

• Hook 'Em 2

For those not familiar with the 1990 game against Houston, bear in mind that Houston had absolutely destroyed Texas in each of the three prior games by a combined score of 173-64.  Houston had Heisman-winner Andre Ware playing in the last two of those games, and it was f'in ugly.

By 1990, Ware was gone, but David Klingler had taken his place and was slinging the ball around with the same results.  The Texas team and fans were completely sick of getting curb-stomped, and we finally had a good team and a defense with the speed to deal with Houston's run-and-shoot.  We were not going to be denied that day.  It was a night game and everyone had plenty of time to get liquored up in advance.  The crowd was yelling the entire game and, after a bit of a slow start, the Horns beat the shit out of Houston basically all night.   

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

For those not familiar with the 1990 game against Houston, bear in mind that Houston had absolutely destroyed Texas in each of the three prior games by a combined score of 173-64.  Houston had Heisman-winner Andre Ware playing in the last two of those games, and it was f'in ugly.

By 1990, Ware was gone, but David Klingler had taken his place and was slinging the ball around with the same results.  The Texas team and fans were completely sick of getting curb-stomped, and we finally had a good team and a defense with the speed to deal with Houston's run-and-shoot.  We were not going to be denied that day.  It was a night game and everyone had plenty of time to get liquored up in advance.  The crowd was yelling the entire game and, after a bit of a slow start, the Horns beat the shit out of Houston basically all night.   

This - I was in the north end zone packed in like sardines. They even had people in folding chairs on the track. To this day, it's the best game I've ever attended crowd wise. I always think about "what if" regarding Hadnot and his 5 cent head. What could have been. He was a beast that night and really the only one who showed up against Miami in the Cotton Bowl disaster. 

I'm going to just take the afternoon and re-watch this - Oh look a counter play.. how novel. Hadnot for the touchdown... 

Edited by TexasBeta
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I missed this game by a year, made the Cotton Bowl game, arrived on campus the following year, saw 5 years of crap (other than OU games), then left Austin the month before Ricky Williams arrived.  F that.

I think you've got your dates off by a bit, but as one that also lived through life on the 40 during that dismal decade plus long stretch, I understand if you block it out.

This - I was in the north end zone packed in like sardines. They even had people in folding chairs on the track. To this day, it's the best game I've ever attended crowd wise. I always think about "what if" regarding Hadnot and his 5 cent head. What could have been. He was a beast that night and really the only one who showed up against Miami in the Cotton Bowl disaster. 
I'm going to just take the afternoon and re-watch this - Oh look a counter play.. how novel. Hadnot for the touchdown... 

I was in a folding chair on the track.

It. Was. Insane.

I had just moved to austin and that was my first game since some random TCU game in the 80’s. Fun as shit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I really wish I was at that game.  It came before my time at Texas but the way people's eyes light up when they talk about it the same way they talk about Rose Bowls and A&M/OKL wins, I know it musta been special.  I didn't realize how bad UH kicked the shit out of us in '87, '88, and '89.  It was Stoops on Brown kinda ugly.  For a stadium full of fans in every color but burnt orange with no beer sales in sight, it's crazy to see/hear how raucous it was that night against UH.  

I doubt we'll see that kind of fervor again at DKR in the near term.  Damn shame.  right now our program feels like halftime at the Miami Cotton Bowl that followed this high.  

6 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I really wish I was at that game.  It came before my time at Texas but the way people's eyes light up when they talk about it the same way they talk about Rose Bowls and A&M/OKL wins, I know it musta been special.  I didn't realize how bad UH kicked the shit out of us in '87, '88, and '89.  It was Stoops on Brown kinda ugly.  For a stadium full of fans in every color but burnt orange with no beer sales in sight, it's crazy to see/hear how raucous it was that night against UH.  

I doubt we'll see that kind of fervor again at DKR in the near term.  Damn shame.  right now our program feels like halftime at the Miami Cotton Bowl that followed this high.  

There may not have been beer sales in tbe stadium but there was a pretty high average BAC in the stadium that night. I'm sure cleanup the next day rivaled a Mardi Gras or New Years party

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

There may not have been beer sales in tbe stadium but there was a pretty high average BAC in the stadium that night. I'm sure cleanup the next day rivaled a Mardi Gras or New Years party

At the end of the game, people started throwing their plastic cups into the air in celebration and all you could smell was liquor. That was such a great night. Perfect weather, the stadium was electric, and we kicked the shit out of Cougar High. I was so confident that we were going to win the conference that I bought Cotton Bowl tickets the next day. And that just turned out fucking great.

Also, "Somebody get that idiot off the goalpost."

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TexasBeta said:

Berry intercepts Klingler at 7 min mark or so--- stride for stride w/ WR - looks back for ball.. intercepts - Shocking concept

1 hour ago, Carl Spackler said:

I actually gained a lot of respect for Klingler that night. Our DL absolutely kicked the shit out of the guy all night. You could tell after a while he was really hurting, but he just kept getting right back up.

1 hour ago, TexasBeta said:

Butch Hadnot was an absolute monster. One of my most vivid memories from that era was of Steve Atwater squaring up on him and trying to take him high ... and Butch stepping right square in the middle of Atwater's chest as he literally ran right over him.

5 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

At the end of the game, people started throwing their plastic cups into the air in celebration and all you could smell was liquor. That was such a great night. Perfect weather, the stadium was electric, and we kicked the shit out of Cougar High. I was so confident that we were going to win the conference that I bought Cotton Bowl tickets the next day. And that just turned out fucking great.

Also, "Somebody get that idiot off the goalpost."

At about 1:10 despite Danielson's incessant drivel (some things haven't changed in 30 years) you can actually hear Wally "You're going to get somebody hurt!" and the immortal "Get that idiot off the goalpost!"

26 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Yeah, even if they had beer sales, we wouldn't have done it- way too expensive and you needed pesky IDs. There's a reason cowboy boots were popular for gameday.

As Mitch said, everyone smelled like a bourbon distillery by the end of the game after being drenched in celebratory beam and cokes thrown in the air 

• Hook 'Em 1

I snuck in a flask of whiskey in my boots.  My then-GF somehow managed to sneak in a  huge ziploc bag of jello shots (hey, she was a chick) made with grain alcohol that we shared with the people sitting around us.  And this was after we'd already been drinking all day along with several friends -- started in the morning.  Like the Houston football team, we got obliterated.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, AnTiM said:

Remember it well, first year we bought a ticket package.  Sitting in north endzone, a drunk acquaintance who was a UH alum spotted us and came over to talk BS.  He left in a hurry, thank you Longhorns for a great time.  And that was, to this day, the loudest we have ever heard the stadium except for the aggy ass kicking later that year.

We did not kick the aggies' ass that year.  It was a 1-point win at home, secured by a great stop when aggy went for two to try to win the game.  I think it was Mark Berry that made the tackle.

And, yes, that UH game was something I have not witnessed since.  Electric atmosphere that did not let down all night long.  My only regret is that we allowed a couple of junk touchdowns late to make the final score look like less of a thrashing that it really was.

31 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I was so confident that we were going to win the conference that I bought Cotton Bowl tickets the next day. And that just turned out fucking great.

Always sucks to buy tickets to a game that your team doesn't end up playing in.

27 minutes ago, wood said:

Butch Hadnot was an absolute monster. One of my most vivid memories from that era was of Steve Atwater squaring up on him and trying to take him high ... and Butch stepping right square in the middle of Atwater's chest as he literally ran right over him.

Now Hadnot ran through a bunch of folks, but Steve Atwater wasn't one of them.

He left Arkansas is 88.

Hadnot was a Fr in 1990

As for the UH game...I was in high school and my mom and I drove up from Houston.  My dad was a Prof at UH and we were able to get tickets that way.  Outside of being in the student section while I was at UT, it's the only time I've sat on the East side of the stadium.

We were on the Southeast end of the stadium...somewhere around the 20 or so.  Poor UH cornerback (#17) was getting his head kicked in all night when Hadnot would round the corner.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Macklemore said:

Early 90s Horns games. This game, Phil Dawson’s game winning kick against Virginia and Westbrook’s hit against Norte Dame were the highlights of this mediocre era. No one wearing burnt orange. You’d usually see more guys wearing a navy polo with a Longhorn emblem than anyone donning orange. Showing up late was the norm. Mack doesn’t get enough credit for changing the culture with Come Early, Wear Orange and Stay Late. Those UH teams ran up the score against terrible to good teams. They’d get creamed by top notch programs. Remember them getting blasted by the U the next season. UH needs to go back to the skinny UH logo for their helmets.

I just want to say...What Macklemore said!

ALL this right here.

Estes verdad. 

17 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

Now Hadnot ran through a bunch of folks, but Steve Atwater wasn't one of them.

He left Arkansas is 88.

Hadnot was a Fr in 1990

As for the UH game...I was in high school and my mom and I drove up from Houston.  My dad was a Prof at UH and we were able to get tickets that way.  Outside of being in the student section while I was at UT, it's the only time I've sat on the East side of the stadium.

We were on the Southeast end of the stadium...somewhere around the 20 or so.  Poor UH cornerback (#17) was getting his head kicked in all night when Hadnot would round the corner.

Yeah I was thinking about that after I posted it ... musta been Edwin Simmons.

• Hook 'Em 1