Kayaking

TexasEd

• 6 months later...

anyone have opinion of this at $200? It'll be my first kayak and I just want one for some lake and river paddling. Maybe some camping and light fishing. Just putting around on, really. Says "perception pescador 12". Thought that was a decent brand, but don't know much.  54524574_2269344356462107_32684252556175

It's basically the same thing as the old Wilderness Systems Tarpon 12. Some folks say they use a lower grade plastic in the perception yaks, but as somebody who makes a living off of making polyethylene,  I would bet it is the exact same stuff. If the poly feels strong enough to you, give it a shot. 

• Like 1

Agree with both the comments, it's a great starter boat. You'll love the design, tracking, and features, but that thing has been sitting in the sun since it was first purchased, and/or somebody used the everloving shit out of it based on the color of the plastic and the seat. Make sure you look really carefully at the hill to make sure there's no cracks or anything super thin.

• Like 1

Thanks, all. I really didn't know if it was sun beat or if that' was the color. I assume if it is still solid structurally that sun fade doesn't matter at all, right? It's been on FB marketplace for 2 weeks in south Louisiana where a lot of people kayak, but I've never used marketplace so I'm not sure if that's a long time or not. 

There's also this 10' Pelican Apex? for $175 that appears to be in good condition and  I really don't want to go over 3 hundred, because, well I may have a tendency to pick up hobbies that don't always last. It got good reviews, but I can't really find prices on them, so I don't know if 175 is a good deal or not. 

I'm pretty sure I want sit on top, but that's all I know. I'm only 5'10 so maybe a 10 or 12 would work? Like I said, fishing would only be very casually, if at all, so that's not something I need to consider much. I'd be by myself usually, so weight and ease of loading/unloading is a factor. 

56744562_10217360108450655_1051116425910

My first and only (only 1 year now) pelican has been great. Definitely need to upgrade in time though. To the point above, I wouldn’t buy at that price. That’s close enough to what you’d pay at retail.

14 minutes ago, Spaulding Smails said:

FYI, if anyone is planning  a Devils River trip, this spring is the time to do it.  My buddy ran Bakers to Big Satan last week and didn't have to drag at all.  Only portage was Dolan Falls.  I'm headed down the first week in June with my son for a day trip.  

That sounds awfully tempting...

My Pelican hate is probably unjustified based on their price point.  It was my first, and I discovered quickly that I hated that kayak, but loved kayaking.    It wasn't stable, it didn't track that well, it didn't have much of a carrying capacity, the plastic was inferior, and it was constructed in two pieces, lending itself to leaking pretty often when weighed down with gear and beer.  

That being said, it was $200 brand new, and I probably wouldn't have got into kayaking if I couldn't find one that I considered affordable at the time.  

This was probably 10 years ago now, and maybe they've made big strides on quality and design, but I just still have a bad taste in my mouth. 

On 4/7/2019 at 9:21 AM, BBQ2Bayou said:

Thanks, all. I really didn't know if it was sun beat or if that' was the color. I assume if it is still solid structurally that sun fade doesn't matter at all, right? It's been on FB marketplace for 2 weeks in south Louisiana where a lot of people kayak, but I've never used marketplace so I'm not sure if that's a long time or not. 

There's also this 10' Pelican Apex? for $175 that appears to be in good condition and  I really don't want to go over 3 hundred, because, well I may have a tendency to pick up hobbies that don't always last. It got good reviews, but I can't really find prices on them, so I don't know if 175 is a good deal or not. 

I'm pretty sure I want sit on top, but that's all I know. I'm only 5'10 so maybe a 10 or 12 would work? Like I said, fishing would only be very casually, if at all, so that's not something I need to consider much. I'd be by myself usually, so weight and ease of loading/unloading is a factor. 

56744562_10217360108450655_1051116425910

I think a lot depends on how much you want to spend.  If you have a truck, there's not much difference in loading it yourself between a 10 ft. boat and a 12 ft. boat.  You'll appreciate the additional space, even if you're just puttering around.  They paddle better in a straight line, they hold up better in the wind, and they keep you higher up with less chance of dragging.  At 5'10" I think you'd really be fine in a 10' boat, it's just that a 12' boat is a little better at everything except price when compared to it's 10' counterpart.  

Assuming you're in Louisiana, I think you're right on point in wanting a sit on top.  They're just easier to get in and out, and being higher up isn't usually an issue.  

I think that pescador above is a pretty solid deal if you're not sure how much you're going to use it.  The sun wear is clearly visible, but if the hull is fine (and assuming the dude's been paddling around in sandy bayous), it probably is, that's a good deal.  I had that same boat and loved it.  Only complaint was the seat.  There's not much cushion there, but that's a small complaint, especially if you're not going to be doing any overnight trips with it.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hey fuckers, I’m putting out the flotilla beacon. Been too long. I’m gonna run the San Marcos this Saturday at 10 AM at Spencers in Martindale if anyone wants to join on short notice. Am also planning a larger float the next Saturday (May 4th) for the same stretch of river if anyone is interested. Post here/shoot me a PM. All are welcome, Spencers rents boats if you dont have one, we are halfway decent human beings. Come one come all.

Seriously though, this was one of the best groups at the old site. Anyone who is close should come join. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

Where do I find the San Marcos flow data?  How do you read whether it is normal, low, or dangerous?

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?site_no=08171400

You can see mean, median there. 200 is normal, I have run down to just above 100, and have run 976 before. It was 300 yesterday, and was awesome. Not high enough where all the rapids are dead flat, but you are not hitting the bottom either.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/9/2019 at 7:58 AM, Spaulding Smails said:

FYI, if anyone is planning  a Devils River trip, this spring is the time to do it.  My buddy ran Bakers to Big Satan last week and didn't have to drag at all.  Only portage was Dolan Falls.  I'm headed down the first week in June with my son for a day trip.  

Heading down day after tomorrow. Was supposed to go last fall and the flow was shit so very glad we pushed it. Whats the recommended fishing rig out there? Going to buy tackle tomorrow.

3 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

Heading down day after tomorrow. Was supposed to go last fall and the flow was shit so very glad we pushed it. Whats the recommended fishing rig out there? Going to buy tackle tomorrow.

I've always had luck on dark colored 4" or 5" Senko worms wacky-rigged during the day.  Purple, green/cream.  Lots of smallies and largemouth with that rig.  Early morning, you can catch em on topwaters.  I've had luck with frogs and mice.  Red crankbaits seem to work decent in the larger pools, and I've even seen a few guys catch em trolling when paddling in the larger pools.  I've always targeted the smallmouth just below the rapids and largemouth in the pools above the rapids.  Have fun and post pics.  We're headed there the second week in June for a quick trip with my son.

• Like 1

Will upload some pics later when I get the chance. First the good; holy shit what a special place, went with 6 people and didnt see a single soul until Blue Sage. Did the 15 miler from Del Norte down to the pull out and that is some of the most beautiful water I've ever seen. Flow was around 450 I think and portaging was almost a non issue. That said....holy shit the wind this weekend, we were paddling into almost constant 15mph wind with occasional gusts up to 25-30mph. It was to the point where probably ~75% of the time you had to be paddling or get pushed back up river even with the high flow. That probably brought the trip from maybe my top outdoor experience ever to outside of the top 3. It was really hard to appreciate the clarity with the white capping and not near enough fishing was able to be done. That said, that's the luck of the draw and we still had an amazing trip. Just gives me an excuse to go back.

On 5/26/2019 at 9:36 PM, texhorn said:

Anyone here interested in a lightly used Tarpon 120 in Midnight blue? Bought it a few years back, has barely left the garage. Located in Austin. PM if so.

Can I keep it stored in your garage? I'm quiet as a mouse. 

That's pretty man. What's the water temperature like this time of year?

Not sure. It felt good when I got in, but there was a brief moment of testicular shock.

It was about 87 yesterday, and highs had been in that range for a few days, but the Upper Iowa is spring fed and stays colder than you’d expect. Last year Memorial Day weekend it hit 100, and the water wasn’t up to temp at all. That’s a shock.

8 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Not sure. It felt good when I got in, but there was a brief moment of testicular shock.

It was about 87 yesterday, and highs had been in that range for a few days, but the Upper Iowa is spring fed and stays colder than you’d expect. Last year Memorial Day weekend it hit 100, and the water wasn’t up to temp at all. That’s a shock.

Brings back memories. I love that float. 

• Like 1

Anyone have experience with these cheap ass JRacks?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003V57NUQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_ZGPbDbENNJYWA
I've seen this same design cost anywhere from $30 to $100.  

Yes, I have 4 sets on my kayak trailer. They work great for that, but I’m not sure I would put them on my roof rack. I actually lost one J last week running the truck and trailer to the take out, and didn’t think twice about ordering another set.

6 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Why would you not use them on a roof?  To much wind? I always worry about the hand tightened bolts working themselves loose 

The quality of the connectors is not great. Hence me losing one on the trailer. Also yes on the wind. I’d looke at Malone sea wings, I still have 2 pair for when we can’t bring the trailer and have to roof the boats. Or just carry them upside down on the bars. That is what I would do on the trailer if I only had to carry 2 boats and not 4.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so I’ve decided I’m selling the tandem pelican yak I have and getting my own single plus a sun dolphin kids kayak. I have a friend that puts two kids on it, and I never go anywhere other than ponds with my 7 year old, plus the 4 year old can grow into it.

Question is, what is a good angler single? I like rigging it so poke holders don’t bother me but I’ve never even used a single. I know you can spend a fortune on them, but I’m hoping to spend around $400 so it is a pretty even trade for my tandem.

Depending on your height, a 10' pescador is a solid boat for $400.

I’m only 5’9” I like that boat, but the seat not being elevated, will it get my ass wet every time? I’m not a great big fat person