Kayaking

TexasEd

I'm not talking about getting a little wet, obviously. In my tandem though, I sit in, and immediately have wet ass. 

I actually went to Academy and West Marine today at lunch, and I think I've found what I'm looking for. I have a Cabelas gift card I need use, but I'm gonna try facebook marketplace first to see how much it will run me

i wouldn't get a new kayak unless you absolutely have to have one right now.  even then, there are many great deals for used kayaks on aidslist and facebook swap pages.

the kayaks with somewhat elevated seats costs a bit more.  you are going to get wet in a kayak, there's no way around it.  

I think everyone is focusing on the wet ass comment too much. I understand you get wet in a kayak. You get wet in a 20' boat too, I get it.

If I could re-craft my original comment, I would say, "when I take my kid out in my tandem kayak, within the first few paddles, I have an inch of water sitting in my seat". That isn't normal for a person well under the capacity of the kayak with scupper plugs. 

I'm not going to buy new (I think) but wanted to see what was out there. The Pescador looks fantastic though. 

Yeah, I had the 12-foot Pescador several years back, and I didn't have that issue. The only times I did, I was carrying a case of beer, camping gear, Etc.

If you're just taking it out once or twice a month with your kids, I totally get it in going used. I think that's probably a good call, as long as you know what you're looking for. Having had a kayak previously, I'm guessing you do. Good luck brother

I picked up a 12 ft Pescador a few years for about $430 at Academy, so you might find a new one close to your budget.

I’ve been looking and haven’t seen them in that range right now.

That said, i just sold a pelican I hated, but the pelican anglers at academy look nice

Anyone have one?

On 6/29/2019 at 8:11 PM, Judge Roybeanbag said:

A buddy of mine just bought one of these for his brother, from a guy in Buda.  $3k all outfitted with outboard and trailer hitch extender.  He lives on the Laguna Madre, so I guess if he flips it he can just walk to shore.

b628b0ae-a4dc-439c-93d3-405c8b416dce-jpe

Good lord that's a whole lot of shit on that thing.  An outboard?  At what point to do you realize maybe I should have bought a real boat.

1 minute ago, davidg said:

Good lord that's a whole lot of shit on that thing.  An outboard?  At what point to do you realize maybe I should have bought a real boat.

Yeah, I would rather have a jonboat.  The guy that bought it actually has a nice bay boat, he just wanted something he could launch by himself and putt around the flats in.  Doesn't like paddling I guess...

So I was told before by a poster friends don’t let friends buy a pelican before, but the new ones look nice and are around 5-600 bucks. Nothing on the used market right now that doesn’t require a substantial drive from North Texas. Sooooo

So I was told before by a poster friends don’t let friends buy a pelican before, but the new ones look nice and are around 5-600 bucks. Nothing on the used market right now that doesn’t require a substantial drive from North Texas. Sooooo
I was not a fan of mine, but maybe things have changed. Is it constructed in 1 piece? Any reviews you can find from someone who has owned one for a couple years?

Yeah, unless they have changed manufacturing, I'd be hesitant to drop that much on a Pelican.

If you're OK spending that, here's a 12' Pescador on Backcountry.com for under $600.  I bought my first yak from them and it was a good experience.  They also run steepandcheap.com, and between the two of them you can get some good deals if you're not in a hurry.

Ok. I took a funky chance because it was so cheap. I got an ad on Facebook this morning for an old town predator xl angler for $99. It is coming from China so I don’t know if it will actually come, but I used PayPal so I can dispute it.

• 2 weeks later...

Just spoke with someone who said it was shipping in the next 3 business days.  I'm hoping for the best, but even at the worst, I can either dispute the payment, or sell it for $100. Even if it is shitty, I can sell it pretty quick for what I paid I think. If it sucks, I'm looking for a Pescador pro

Well, furk.  JSB may yet end up better off than me -- I stupidly took it out without giving it a thorough inspection (hey, the dog was all excited, too), and discovered a huge gash after taking on a bunch of water after about 5 min.  Guess I'll be putting Austin Canoe and Kayak customer service to the test.

It was fun while it lasted, though.

00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190806180818776_COVER.jpg

5 hours ago, Damor said:

I'm NotActuallyJSB, but I do like his $99 price tag better than mine, and am also curious to see how his order turns out.

Not here yet, but they have at least been responsive, saying I should receive a tracking number soon. I'm getting impatient, but I'm gonna wait it out a bit longer before I get paypal to pull the funds. 

• Like 2

I’m starting to look at other options and for someone that takes a kayak out a couple times a month at most and always on a fairly calm lake or pond (no real rivers near me) would a 10’ be fine?

I’m just thinking for the time I’ll use it, I don’t need to spend $900 on a kayak, and 10’ prices are much more palatable.

It is windy as hell here though and reading reviews, pelicans still track like a drunk dog, but ascend, KI, Pescador and maybe more are still in play.

Well, I bought a new to me yak this morning. Ascend fs12T with a fish finder (which I’ve never used, so I’ll have to figure that out) paddle, two rod holders, life jacket, anchor and other shit I already have, but all of it for $500. I realized that since I only go out maybe 10 times a year, for now, I don’t need a $1,000 kayak. Pics below, but on the fish finder, is there a way to recharge it, or do you just have to buy a new battery when it dies?

23f4e8b4a5558c830f863f095ffc7027.jpg
ba92da346cda08b76a2ff388ecbb3497.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...