Kayaking

TexasEd

Hey river dudes, I have some questions I figure some of y’all might be able to help with. My brothers and I want to take our dad to the Devils River. This will just be a quick trip and hopefully later we can do a longer guided trip there. But we just want to go check it out.

So, can we access Dolan Falls without a kayak? I mean without trespassing.

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Hey river dudes, I have some questions I figure some of y’all might be able to help with. My brothers and I want to take our dad to the Devils River. This will just be a quick trip and hopefully later we can do a longer guided trip there. But we just want to go check it out.

No, not that I know of. You can do Devils SNA for day use, but it is a mile hike to the river, that you have to haul all your gear each way, then it is a paddle down and upriver.

Edited by UnivTex34

No, not that I know of. You can do Devils SNA for day use, but it is a mile hike to the river, that you have to haul all your gear each way, then it is a paddle down and upriver.

Well that’s a bummer.

So for SNA, you park up there and hike to Blue Spring on the river? That isn’t far from Dolan Falls at all.

Well,@baboso and I took our bitches out on the Etowah River in North Georgia. Things got a little western in the first 200 yards. The shoe fell apart during my wreck. Tried to get cute and was lazy. I lost. My wife wasn't paying attention and got out into the current while we were getting my boat out from under the log and she took a trip under it, upside down. I ended up walking my boat upstream and 200 yards. Paddle and console going downstream.

I had put a 15 foot rope on the front of all of my kayaks a few years ago. I generally use them to pull my wife off of rocks and logs when she gets stuck, but it makes dragging a boat upstream a HELL of a lot easier. If you don't have one, do it tomorrow. Also used it to drag our other two boats around the tree.

Knees and shins got cut to shit in the wreck and legs, arms and hands cut to shit by thorny vines, walking back up the river. Oh....poison ivy aplenty. About $50 damages to two of my boats and lost my new prescription sunglasses, gaiter and boonie hat. I had a bit of a battle getting out from under the kayak, under water facing the current and wedged under the log.

Lots of exercise on Saturday.

83cb627179ad3f1ecfef11252d3fb731.jpg629b68ac2b17a13f6dcd0714e52198dc.jpg

• Like 1

There is no such thing as a quick or easy trip to the Devil's River. I think you're better off researching outfitters and planning a real trip. That river is one of the most beautiful things in Texas, so it's well worth the effort
  • Like 1

Things got a little western with hulla on Saturday, no doubt.  A fair sized oak had gotten undercut and fell all the way across the river.  About 8 inches or so of the tree was above water and the rest underneath.  The river was up and flowing fast.  Spectacular trainwreck from hulla first, with kayak getting wedged and held under the tree by current.  Big group behind us pitched in and got him and his boat out from under the tree and to the far bank.  Then Mrs. hulla decided to paddle from the far bank over to where the rest of us were portaging kayaks through the treetop on the other bank.  She ended up broadside to the current and met the tree also.  Her yak is swamped and stuck under the tree and she is clinging to an older downed tree about 20 yards downstream.  Wade out into the middle of the river and throw her a rope and drag her back over while the group of river hippies tie a rope to the rear handle on her kayak (all that you can see of it, rest is under water under the tree) and manage to pull it out.  Lessons I learned - don't tie your paddle leash to the pop-on console or you will lose both console and your paddle.  Dragging your boat through a bunch of limbs is less painful than almost drowning.  Keep your sunglasses croakie pulled down tight.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

That is likely to be my one and only float on the Tennessee River.  It's wide and slow, lots of paddling, and lots of wakeboat, cigarette boat, bass boat traffic.  Damn near like ocean paddling with all the swells from boat wakes.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Complained about being uncomfortable in the kayaks we have. A month later, a new kayak shows up. Seems like maybe I should be allowed to buy my own, but that’s not how the wife operates. 

so now I have this 11.5 foot fishing kayak made by some place called Brooklyn kayak co. Which I have to get registered because it’s > 10 ft. 

On 7/21/2020 at 9:04 AM, davidg said:

There must not be any more rules with this Covid stuff.

rules.png.e60595f3fb5ac54d2a4bb728e70bc05a.png

Quite the stern draw, knowwhatimean, nudge nudge?

The boy's been asking about and looking for a good instructor in Central Texas.  Any recommendations?

Found Olympic Outdoor Center in San Marcos, anyone with experience or thoughts? @Snow Dog?

• 8 months later...

I think I've caught the kayak bug. A year late, but the way the market seems to be!

I've got some canoe experience, but am thinking of buying a kayak that I can do some day and overnight trips with. So not so heavy I can't manhandle things, but big enough to carry my backpacking gear and sundries. I have a square stern discovery if I want to take the kiddos out. This would be for me. 

I've been on some sit on top kayaks. Just smaller ones, paddling around the lake. I don't mind getting wet. I've done a fair bit of wilderness canoeing. A couple of trips to the Yukon, Big Salmon. Took my wife down the Upper Missourri before the kiddos. Recently did the west branch penobscot in maine. So I like canoes, although I've also had some strenuous days fighting the wind, so a kayak is sort of appealing. 

At this point tentatively leaning toward the hybrids. Maybe a discovery 119, but also looking at ultimate 12, and ascend h10/h12. Whatever pops up on Craigslist or FB msrketplace.

Anyone have any thoughts? Ideal craft would be good for the kind of shallows and pool & drop we have in Texas. Enough capacity for a 225 lb dude and 60 pounds of gear. I'm thinking that means a capacity of 350, but ideally more like 400, using the 80% rule of thumb. Likely use would be Colorado from FM 190 to the lake; Upper Guad; Nueces/Frio/Medina; maybe something farther afield like the Buffalo or Current. 

I think I've caught the kayak bug. A year late, but the way the market seems to be!
  I've got some canoe experience, but am thinking of buying a kayak that I can do some day and overnight trips with. So not so heavy I can't manhandle things, but big enough to carry my backpacking gear and sundries. I have a square stern discovery if I want to take the kiddos out. This would be for me.    I've been on some sit on top kayaks. Just smaller ones, paddling around the lake. I don't mind getting wet. I've done a fair bit of wilderness canoeing. A couple of trips to the Yukon, Big Salmon. Took my wife down the Upper Missourri before the kiddos. Recently did the west branch penobscot in maine. So I like canoes, although I've also had some strenuous days fighting the wind, so a kayak is sort of appealing.    At this point tentatively leaning toward the hybrids. Maybe a discovery 119, but also looking at ultimate 12, and ascend h10/h12. Whatever pops up on Craigslist or FB msrketplace.   Anyone have any thoughts? Ideal craft would be good for the kind of shallows and pool & drop we have in Texas. Enough capacity for a 225 lb dude and 60 pounds of gear. I'm thinking that means a capacity of 350, but ideally more like 400, using the 80% rule of thumb. Likely use would be Colorado from FM 190 to the lake; Upper Guad; Nueces/Frio/Medina; maybe something farther afield like the Buffalo or Current. 
The ascend h12 is sharp. I'd be wary of the 10 due to weight limit and tracking issues though. You'll appreciate having more length and carrying capacity.

I think what you're looking for and the boats you're looking at make sense. I also think - depending on the trip - you can get under 60 pounds of gear pretty easily. Also, obviously the more you load, the more the boat will track differently, but there's few places better than Central texas rivers to deal with that. Typically it's only the wind that causes any issues.

I've never kayaked 190 to Buchanan. I'd love to make that trip sometime. Colorado Bend SP and the narrows are all I've seen north of the lakes.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I’m a jackson fan myself. They have quite a few fishing rigs that would fit your needs. I had a coosa for good while, then bumped up to a big rig. I will say that it’s heavy, but it also floats stupid skinny. And I mean stupid skinny. 

Did some day floats with some of my wife's family’s kids last Labor Day weekend. The boys were fishing out of ascend 12’s and had to get out a lot more times than I did. I ended up having to get out once for about 30ft, and once not of my choosing when they got behind on their paddling and blocked up a small chute.

FWIW they’re 10 and 12, and they were in awe as I would scoot right past them as they were dragging their yaks. I was amused.

Welp, snuck my way in to a devils trip next weekend after a guy dropped out (dumb idiot). Will be my second time there, last time we had a constant headwind to the point that you couldn’t stop paddling to fish or you’d lose ground...and it was still fucking amazing. Hoping for better conditions and cannot wait.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 5/2/2021 at 11:24 PM, Hank_Hill said:

Welp, snuck my way in to a devils trip next weekend after a guy dropped out (dumb idiot). Will be my second time there, last time we had a constant headwind to the point that you couldn’t stop paddling to fish or you’d lose ground...and it was still fucking amazing. Hoping for better conditions and cannot wait.

Awesome. Hopefully the rain from this week will keep it from being too boney next weekend. I confess I reread Louis Aulbrach guides all the time. Really want to do a Pecos float sometime. 

Good for you.  Enjoy!  What are your put-in and take-out spots?  I've now done the Devlis 20+ times.  My son's been with me a few times, but we did our first multi-night trip last year, and we had the same headwind situation.  I ended up being "The Mule" that carried the gear and paddled hard on open water.  It sucked.  Bad.

Big rain last week.  You should be golden.  Lots of good fish being caught over the last few weeks.  Enjoy!

18 hours ago, Spaulding Smails said:

Good for you.  Enjoy!  What are your put-in and take-out spots?  I've now done the Devlis 20+ times.  My son's been with me a few times, but we did our first multi-night trip last year, and we had the same headwind situation.  I ended up being "The Mule" that carried the gear and paddled hard on open water.  It sucked.  Bad.

Big rain last week.  You should be golden.  Lots of good fish being caught over the last few weeks.  Enjoy!

Not positive on take-out but know we're putting in at RM 15 and doing ~30miles. Camping at Del Norte Thursday then 2.5 days on the water.

42 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Not positive on take-out but know we're putting in at RM 15 and doing ~30miles. Camping at Del Norte Thursday then 2.5 days on the water.

Awesome.  Paddle north a bit from your put-in at Del Norte.  Not the biggest fish, but I always catch a ton of both largemouth and smallies just up river from the Del Norte campsite.  If you're doing 30 miles, you may be going all the way to Rough Hollow.  I've only done the run south of Big Satan once.  The first stretch is awesome and some of the least fished areas of that river.  But, watch out for those headwinds about five miles south of the Big Satan takeout.  It's wide open and choppy from there to Rough Hollow.  

Anyone have experience with inflatables?

I'm looking at possibly a Sea Eagle 385ft. I'm looking at inflatables because we will mainly use it on RV trips. We pull a small camper with an Expedition SUV. I don't want to deal with putting a kayak on the roof and instead would throw the inflatable pack in the back.

Reviews seem good and it looks like it will do what we want for our family, but the only thing I worry about is how they hold up to heat. All the YouTube videos are in mountain areas. Will Texas sun ruin the seams and adhesives used in inflatable kayaks?

On 7/11/2018 at 5:46 PM, Hank_Hill said:

So yea, looking like deciding between a (possibly) once in a lifetime experience or a football game against Maryland. I hate that this is even conflicting for me haha.

Ha ha ha. Just saw this. Maryland. 

I am cursed on the headwind front, ~15mph SE wind most of the time. Still sick, did RM15-40. Hit Indian completely backwards but that pales in comparison to the biggest holy shit of the trip: guy that hadn’t been before got a bit ahead of us and accidentally shot Dolan. We had no idea and were pondering how he portaged so quickly solo. He’s lucky to be alive and came out without a scratch despite dumping. Member of a small club. Post Dolan beer tasted a little better to him I’m sure.

9 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

#TeamJackson

How was the fishing?

Hard to get as much as I wanted in due to wind but did some damage with a watermelon salamander, 5-6 each day. Mixed bag but mostly small mouth, couple tasty looking crappie 

4 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

Hard to get as much as I wanted in due to wind but did some damage with a watermelon salamander, 5-6 each day. Mixed bag but mostly small mouth, couple tasty looking crappie 

Nice. Watermelon, electric grape, and some kind of red/motor oil color and a chartreuse pepper one that I don’t remember the exact color names at the moment. Always tear shit up with those. If nothing else is getting bites, flip a lizard and piss em off.

Considering the vibe cubera. Basically a SUP you add a chair too. My thinking is that I can take a kid out for a short trip, and it would be good in skinny water. BKC has something similar, but less weight capacity.  

But I'll probably get whatever pops up on Craigslist or FB.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

Thanks.  Thoughts on a good kayak rack for the top of an SUV?

Do you have bars already? Depending on how many boats and width of boats, I’d just toss them upside down right on the bars. That’s what I do when not using my trailer.

I did use the Malone Sea Wings for a while and liked them. I’m not a huge fan of the U Cradles on the roof as they are not as secure as other options up that high (but I do use them on my trailer so I can haul 4 boats). 

there are some specialty holders from the big names, but they are expensive.

• Fuck You 1

Just now, UnivTex34 said:

Do you have bars already? Depending on how many boats and width of boats, I’d just toss them upside down right on the bars. That’s what I do when not using my trailer.

I did use the Malone Sea Wings for a while and liked them. I’m not a huge fan of the U Cradles on the roof as they are not as secure as other options up that high (but I do use them on my trailer so I can haul 4 boats). 

there are some specialty holders from the big names, but they are expensive.

I do have bars.  Looking to haul 1-2 boats.  I guess with some rachet straps they would probably be pretty secure.  Secure enough for highway travel, though?

Don’t use ratchets, they can misform/break the plastic on the boats. The cam buckle straps are more than enough. Just buy some quality ones. Make sure to run some safety lines to the front and rear if you are worried about it. Honestly, I’ve had mine without them on the top out on 130 coming back from running the San Marcos a hundred times going 85 with no issues. I’ve paddled all over the state, and as long as you have them secure, and check them when you stop you will be great.

And now that I recall, you have a cruiser, so you should be fine with two boats straight on the bars unless you have just really wide boats.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

Don’t use ratchets, they can misform/break the plastic on the boats. The cam buckle straps are more than enough. Just buy some quality ones. Make sure to run some safety lines to the front and rear if you are worried about it. Honestly, I’ve had mine without them on the top out on 130 coming back from running the San Marcos a hundred times going 85 with no issues. I’ve paddled all over the state, and as long as you have them secure, and check them when you stop you will be great.

And now that I recall, you have a cruiser, so you should be fine with two boats straight on the bars unless you have just really wide boats.
Just wanted to cosign in case you're looking for a second opinion. I've had two on top of a rav 4 with no issues up and down 35 and 71 more times than I could count with no issues.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 1