Kayaking

TexasEd

Yakima system for me. Had it on 3 trucks and carried two boats a lot of miles. Toting a WS Pamlico 130T and Tarpon 120 right now. I use straps at the bars and bow and stern ropes that tie to the bars and then down to an eye bolt that I added to the top loader brackets and is through bolted on the camper shell.

BC5-CEECB-66-CB-44-D4-B159-C5-F6-FF7-EB04-D.jpg

30 minutes ago, UnivTex34 said:

I’ve been happy with Austin Canoe and Kayak. They have a very large online presence and ship nationwide. Not sure about supply, but that may be an industry wide thing. I assume y’all done have Academy up there?

No Academy, unfortunately.  REI, Dicks, Murdoch's and Sportsman's Warehouse are all sold out.  Austin Canoe and Kayak is sold out, too.  Looks like maybe I'm just fucked for this summer.

2 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

No Academy, unfortunately.  REI, Dicks, Murdoch's and Sportsman's Warehouse are all sold out.  Austin Canoe and Kayak is sold out, too.  Looks like maybe I'm just fucked for this summer.

Craigslist and FB Marketplace it is. My first 5 boats were purchased that way.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

• 2 months later...

Anyone have inflatables? I bought 3 inflatables for our Montana trip this summer.  Really enjoyed them and they do not compromise much when it comes to handling and comfort especially in calm Lake water or slow rivers.  Being able to roll them up like sleeping bags and fit all 3 in the back of the Jeep is a big plus....Def recommend an air inflator that hooks up to your car battery- 3 minutes and you are ready to roll!!

D9C1CC84-DF97-4B11-90D4-C60A7263A381.thumb.jpeg.874ffbc89efa146961edf1eac4191bbd.jpegFCE63293-AD4D-406F-BB8D-481E74D0119C.thumb.jpeg.10c0ed6321cd337ab68cd46b58b840e9.jpeg8ABE6146-B06B-4D44-B5C2-68378C16C8C1.thumb.jpeg.e47f3f97f20932efe375fe7260d696fb.jpeg

Edited by JCHIL
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 7 months later...

Camped a Village Creek SP this past weekend and took the kayaks for a few paddles on the Village Creek Paddling Trail. Friday we just paddled upriver from the SP takeout site and made a slow trip back down.  On Saturday we parked the truck at the Hwy 96 boatramp and got a shuttle from Sharp Canoe Rental.  They dropped us off at the Baby Galvez landing and we headed downstream.  The upper half of this section is fairly straight with only a couple of small bends but the lower half is crooked as a snake with lots of good sandbars.  We had a good time and only had 2 other groups that we leapfrogged with while stopping at the sandbars to hang out and swim a bit.  The creek is lined with cypress and pine, the water is fairly clear but stained from leaves and the sandbars are deep white sand.  I fished a little bit and was able to catch two small bass which was better than I thought I would do.  The last hairpin turn on this section is a big sandbar that is reachable on foot from the Hwy 96 ramp which the locals call the zoo.  We went by it at about 4:30pm and it was mostly families but they say it can get pretty rowdy at times.  

image.thumb.jpeg.775fb933782eb0f69b3cb6d8a7d0d3e2.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.5e7452a9a42ffe6d72bec4fff5edbba5.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.671c2c8b8a6e8278c88892270685361a.jpeg

IMG_9571.thumb.JPG.9b1bdf0ddd99345ed0f73be45d4bd558.JPG

image.thumb.jpeg.2acab81af89f849234b7abc04d273d59.jpeg

image.thumb.png.6f89e0015a03cf4b90f7a5e495b3f5b0.png

IMG_9574.JPG

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Just got back in the kayak game.  I've had 6 or 7 sit-on-tops over the last twenty years.  Used to keep two down at Rockport and one up here, but as the kids were getting older, my weekends became their weekends (happily, I might add).  Now one is off at college and the other one has one more year of high school and is getting out of club sports - hence, I have my weekends back.

Purchased an old Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 off of Craigslist for $300.  Planning on fishing the lakes and rivers around Central Texas again.  Probably won't get back into the bay fishing that I did so much of back in the day.  Should be back out fishing soon.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Yikes, I guess I've been out of the loop -- I had no idea that ACK was no more.

I was wanting to get some minor repairs and accessories added to my Diablo Amigo.  Anybody have any recommendations in the Austin area or north?

I can order stuff online, but would love for it to be competently installed.  I've already done the drag-a-leaky-hull-back-to-shore-while-lab-keeps-trying-to-jump-onboard thing before.

1 hour ago, Damor said:

Yikes, I guess I've been out of the loop -- I had no idea that ACK was no more.

I was wanting to get some minor repairs and accessories added to my Diablo Amigo.  Anybody have any recommendations in the Austin area or north?

I can order stuff online, but would love for it to be competently installed.  I've already done the drag-a-leaky-hull-back-to-shore-while-lab-keeps-trying-to-jump-onboard thing before.

Holy shit, neither did I! Between Covid and having a two year old, my paddling has been near nonexistent the last two years. 

That said, I'd give T&G In San Marcos a call. I bought a couple boats from them over the years, and last I knew, they had a large shop right off the river in San Marcos. 

https://tgcanoe.com/repairs/

• Hook 'Em 1

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So I recently purchased a couple of kayaks that I'll be taking around when we go camping at various state parks.

Anyone recommend a good online resource or message board that makes it easier to find information about places to kayak? Specifically with reviews about the best boat ramps to go to on various lakes that are kayak friendly. Or paddling trails on rivers that have info about where to launch, etc?

I'm in Plano, so looking at lakes Lavon, Ray Hubbard, Lewisville of course but also smaller city park ponds or lakes that allow kayaks would be cool too.

Googling brings up all sorts of boat ramps but I don't want to be in anyone's way and don't want to fight the big boats for space when I'm trying to carry two kayaks and a bag of snacks or drinks with my daughter.

• 1 month later...

I've been looking at kayaks to get my ass back on the water, because bank fishing at the lake kinda sucks. But I don't want to spend much because I have serious doubts about how my body will take to it. I know I would need one that sits up among the highest available, for my back and knees. Easy to haul in a truck bed would be ideal, a 10-footer range would be nice. 

My old Bass Hunter one-man thing would probably work better for me, but it's been sitting outside for about 35 years so it's probably not too lake-worthy by now. It would probably crumble. They were sure fun in the short time I had access to a nice pond, though.

Believe me, I feel your pain.

Truth be told, from my perspective anyway, you may be better off with a little john boat or another bass-whatever they’re calling it now 2 seat  and trolling motor.

I say that as the higher seated yaks are going to be longer, heavier, and even then don’t sit that high.

I have a Jackson Big Rig. I’ve also had a Coosa.

My big rig is like 13ft, and weighs a little over 100lbs.

It does fine, but even in the “high” position it’s still not as high as you think. It helps some, just not life changing.

I much prefer the little bass assassin 2 seater I have. Little minnkota trolling motor, 2 batteries, and I’m good for the day. I do also take a yak paddle, to help save on battery.

Also have a little hummingbird I swap back and forth too. Great little setup, really. 

Easier to fish from, easier in and out. And they’re way cheaper than a higher seat yak.

Also more stable. I mean I’ve stood on the edge of my big rig  and found the tipping point, and I regularly stand to fish from it. The grab/lean bar helps, but getting older sucks.

If I had to get rid of all but one, I’d ditch my yak and canoe and keep the 2-seater.

• Like 1

Those plastic john boats they have at Academy and Tractor Supply look halfway tempting, but not as portable. Would need a trailer for it, so might as well get a real boat. Ideally, I would much rather have a good used aluminum bass boat, but they aren't easy to find in these parts. 

I have sort of a phobia about the old school aluminum john boats because the last time I was in one it tipped over right after I shoved off. Thing was incredibly unstable, maybe there was something wrong with it, or I was just too much of a fat fuck at the time.

Still been looking around at kayaks, a lot of which are on sale now. I just don't see the other options as being that do-able at this point, so maybe if I get a fairly cheap one it won't be that much of a loss. 

Academy has a Pelican Challenger 100XP for bout tree-fiddy right now. The seat in it actually looks pretty sturdy. There are a few others within a similar range, about the most I would want to spend to find out it ain't gonna work. 

But now it's getting too dang hot to fish.

26 minutes ago, DougO said:

Still been looking around at kayaks, a lot of which are on sale now. I just don't see the other options as being that do-able at this point, so maybe if I get a fairly cheap one it won't be that much of a loss. 

Academy has a Pelican Challenger 100XP for bout tree-fiddy right now. The seat in it actually looks pretty sturdy. There are a few others within a similar range, about the most I would want to spend to find out it ain't gonna work. 

You might take a look at craigslist.  I have bought and sold kayaks on craigslist for years.

3 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

You might take a look at craigslist.  I have bought and sold kayaks on craigslist for years.

I look at craigslist once in a while, but the selection and asking prices in this area is crap. I think it works better near larger cities.

On 6/7/2023 at 12:36 PM, DougO said:

i got a wilderness system tarpon 140 i don't use often enough, and i might be willing to parts with it.  its around an $800 kayak though.  not sure i really want to part with it, but have been considering it.  i go to the coast about once a year and i could probably just rent one that often and safe the pain of storing and loading it.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

i got a wilderness system tarpon 140 i don't use often enough, and i might be willing to parts with it.  its around an $800 kayak though.  not sure i really want to part with it, but have been considering it.  i go to the coast about once a year and i could probably just rent one that often and safe the pain of storing and loading it.

Thanks, may consider it down the road if you decide you want to part with it. But I keep going back and forth as to whether I feel I could really meld with a kayak. I have doubts. I really wish I could find a clean used Tracker-ish bass boat for a decent price. I think that's what I need.

It would be nice if there were some place locally where I could actually try one on the water, or even just sit in one parked somewhere, to get a better idea. Aside from the physical requirements, I'm not sure I would embrace fishing from that near water level. 

Shame ACK closed. They used to have demo days every spring. 

Maybe try calling a local yak shop and see if they have anything like that. 

Thrill mentioning Wilderness reminded me that last time I had looked they had a model with a multi-position seat that went fairly high for a yak. It almost got me in. Had it not been for a steeply discounted big rig, I’d have got that one. My big rig has an upper/lower seat position, but the wilderness had one or two more.

Those will be more than you were looking to spend, but at least you know there’s at least something out there. 

I’ve also seen tall-ish seats on sup’s, but I’m not a fan of those.

On 5/30/2023 at 9:54 AM, DougO said:

I've been looking at kayaks to get my ass back on the water, because bank fishing at the lake kinda sucks. But I don't want to spend much because I have serious doubts about how my body will take to it. I know I would need one that sits up among the highest available, for my back and knees. Easy to haul in a truck bed would be ideal, a 10-footer range would be nice. 

My old Bass Hunter one-man thing would probably work better for me, but it's been sitting outside for about 35 years so it's probably not too lake-worthy by now. It would probably crumble. They were sure fun in the short time I had access to a nice pond, though.

You might look at the personal pontoon boats.  Relatively lightweight, fits in the back of a truck, and are designed to use with paddles or trolling motor. 

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

you dont want to be up high in a kayak.  fishing/casting is fairly easy from the sitting position - takes about 20 minutes to adapt and then it becomes second nature.  there are many outfitters that rent them on the coast.  i only use mine in saltwater, which is why i dont use it much.