Texas Summer Football Thread

Reese Bennett

Incoming players:

RB: Keaontay Ingram

OL: Calvin Anderson (grad transfer), Rafiti Ghirmai, Christian Jones, Reese Moore, Junior Angilau (possibly)

WR: Al'vonte Woodard, Josh Moore

TE: Malcolm Epps

DL: Daniel Carson, Joseph Ossai, Moro Ojomo, Keondre Coburn, Mike Williams

LB: Byron Hobbs

CB: Jalen Green, D'shawn Jamison

S: Demarvion Overshown

K: Cameron Dicker

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Incoming players:

RB: Keaontay Ingram gets worked into the rotation by mid season

OL: Calvin Anderson (grad transfer) immediate starter, Rafiti Ghirmai RS, Christian Jones RS, Reese Moore RS, Junior Angilau (possibly) RS

WR: Al'vonte Woodard, Josh Moore (both possibly redshirt or don't see the field until later in the season)

TE: Malcolm Epps I could see him getting some playing time this year depending on how that position shakes out

DL: Daniel Carson RS , Joseph Ossai plays early, Moro Ojomo I want to say RS but who knows honestly, Keondre Coburn plays early , Mike Williams worked in by mid-season

LB: Byron Hobbs RS

CB: Jalen Green, D'shawn Jamison Think they both play special teams at some point in the season

S: Demarvion Overshown possibly special teams

K: Cameron Dicker I hope he can make field goals and play right away

thats how I see the new batch working out

Edited by CowboyFred

Count me in the minority, but I came away from the spring game impressed with the overall physicality and improvement on both sides of the ball.  I think the offensive line improves enough to really highlight the skills of LJH and CJ, and we get a surprising amount of production from Duvernay, the TE position and Carter/Young/Ingram catching the ball out of the backfield. It's not going to take much improvement on offense to win those "coin flip" matchups like KSU, WVU, and Okla St with these fucking blood-thirsty unsparing wolves we have on defense. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, BigBenBamboozle said:

Count me in the minority, but I came away from the spring game impressed with the overall physicality and improvement on both sides of the ball.  I think the offensive line improves enough to really highlight the skills of LJH and CJ, and we get a surprising amount of production from Duvernay, the TE position and Carter/Young/Ingram catching the ball out of the backfield. It's not going to take much improvement on offense to win those "coin flip" matchups like KSU, WVU, and Okla St with these fucking blood-thirsty unsparing wolves we have on defense. 

The correct nomenclature is "pride of fuck lions". But otherwise, sign me up.

• Like 1

IT:

A funny thing happened. One of our program sources called me up after the scrimmage and I couldn't think of many questions for him. The spring game served as visual evidence for almost all of what we've been hearing for the past month.

I asked if there were any surprises from the scrimmage and he replied, "The Hager screen. They were just having fun with that."

Anything else? "I would say Humphrey but we've talked about that. The receivers on the whole I guess. Not many drops like throughout the spring. All of them were making plays or at least in position. John Burt had a great game."

Grasping for questions, I asked about Anthony Wheeler. "I think he's moving a little better, that's part of it, but he's way more decisive, in better position, and just fundamentally more sound."

The natural question is one Scipio mentioned; is it because he's actually improved or because he knows what this offense is going to do? My source couldn't answer that. I'm with Coach V., we don't know how the linebackers look in run-fits. Still, Wheeler making tackles outside the hashes is encouraging.

What lies ahead for the team? After a month of rigidly conforming to the program the players were essentially let loose into the wild minutes after the scrimmage. There was no Sunday film review. They're getting the week off to let their bodies heal and then off-season workouts will begin next week to finish off the semester. The only football related activities this week besides treatment are the vaunted exit interviews.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BigBenBamboozle said:

But we won 2 of these 3 last year. 

3 hours ago, selvahorn said:

So masterful they can't even complete 60% of their passes. Big time winning QBs complete at least 62% of their passes the last time I checked which was years ago.  Vince completed 61.8% of his passes over his career and 65% his final year. Colt completed 70% of his passes over his career.

The time I looked was somewhere between 2000 and 2004 trying to figure out what it took to be a good quarterback. I checked over three years in the NFL and most guys below 62% had losing records while most guys over 62% had winning records. Seems small but at least with the data I checked 1% point made a huge difference. So if our guys are below 62% I figure we are going to lose a few games due to completion percentage.

• Fuck You 3

5 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

So masterful they can't even complete 60% of their passes. Big time winning QBs complete at least 62% of their passes the last time I checked which was years ago.  Vince completed 61.8% of his passes over his career and 65% his final year. Colt completed 70% of his passes over his career.

The time I looked was somewhere between 2000 and 2004 trying to figure out what it took to be a good quarterback. I checked over three years in the NFL and most guys below 62% had losing records while most guys over 62% had winning records. Seems small but at least with the data I checked 1% point made a huge difference. So if our guys are below 62% I figure we are going to lose a few games due to completion percentage.

What was the opponents % against our defense last year.

23 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Please tell me you’re not talking about their spring game completion percentages. 

• Like 2

On 4/24/2018 at 4:28 PM, DanTheHorn said:

On 4/24/2018 at 5:37 PM, lemonandaturd said:

Shane's 2016 CMP% was 60.4 and 2017 was 64.3.  Sam in 2017 was 57.5.  

Competition over.  Shane's the guy

Y'all - most of y'all - are so full of shit.

Saint Darrell was once asked if he favored time of possession or more yardage as indicators of winning. He said neither one, because he had some of his young assistants do some research into exactly that question, and what they had found was that the team with more time of possession won the game 87.3% of the time, and the team with more yardage won 91.666% of the time, but they found a perfect indicator, which they decided to call scoreboard control, and the team with more points won 100% of the time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Tex Long said:

Saint Darrell was once asked if he favored time of possession or more yardage as indicators of winning. He said neither one, because he had some of his young assistants do some research into exactly that question, and what they had found was that the team with more time of possession won the game 87.3% of the time, and the team with more yardage won 91.666% of the time, but they found a perfect indicator, which they decided to call scoreboard control, and the team with more points won 100% of the time.

so, we need a new scoreboard? 

Thanks Patterson

• Like 1

On 4/26/2018 at 3:16 PM, Tex Long said:

Lmao!  That's how a team wins football games.