A salute to badasses on Veteran's Day

InkaUtexas

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Damn.  I need to rep every post on this thread.

And yeah, as Slorch noted, what makes these folks badasses isn't that they were BADASSES.  It's that by and large, they were regular people, doing their duty.  In a way, that makes it that much more heroic.  Everyone expects Sergeant Rock to storm the enemy machine gun emplacement.  When it's Uncle Eugene, the farmboy....that's a whole 'nother level.

And a whole lot of them pretty callow youth that had little real idea what they were signing up for.  But when the shit hit the fan, they did their duty.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/16/2021 at 2:37 PM, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Wasn't sure which thread to post this in, either this one or the newer Veterans one.  My brother went to visit my 91 year old aunt, who is the last remaining child of my maternal Grandfather, who served in WWI.  Some of his stuff (Felix Arthur Kirby) is posted in this thread.  She had a couple of medals I'd never seen, plus a special tool for a M1903 Springfield rifle that he carried in a belt, which I now have.  Cool stuff.  

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Good stuff. 

The very first firearm that I purchased was a 1903A3.  Still love it.  I am extremely envious of that tool.  I have my step grandfather's Garand cleaning rod and tool from WWII, but no Garand.  Yet.