What does Surly mean to you?

immamac

8 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

I love this board. It's my way to help get thru tough times and share some laughs with y'all.

This.

This stuff makes me laugh way too hard during a shitty time, both the covid shit, and the football shit, and it's a great little distraction:

1 hour ago, Continental Op said:

Holy fuck all we need to do is get TxTow out of prison, find Romeo Rose, find Jade, and find the preacher dude posing as a chick and this will be like the Surly edition of Avengers:Endgame.

When I started the Fitlump thread in May, we all laughed at the thought of her making a run at the City Council, and now in November it's like "HOLY SHITBALLS SHE HAS A CHANCE", and the non-Austin Surly posters are laughing their asses off.  And then @BigDHornfan swoops in with this gem:

https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/index.php?/topic/14726-take-back-austin-president-files-to-run-for-austin-city-council/page/41/&tab=comments#comment-2774438

10 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

Holy shit.
I was going through old texts from my google voice number and found these gems. Totally forgot I texted with Roman back in 2018.
Enjoy.

It's not funny, and is even confusing, for those who haven't been on Surly/Shaggy before, but for those who have, it's amusing/hilarious.

Edited by atomheartbevo

Being completely isolated the past 7 months this place has been more important to my sanity than anything else.

I know a lot of posters IRL so chatting here is like hanging out at the bar.

Whish we could leave comments with neg rep.

Having been around since the early horn fans days it's nice having that continuity through the different platforms. 

We dont get into the same level of shenanigans as the early shag days, which is due to age and the pandemic.

Where is this video you speak of?

Edited by MissingInAction
  • Hook 'Em 1

Surly is my outlet for gallows humor that Facebook/Instagram can’t provide because of my family connections. I’ve been connected to this community for about 10 or 11 years now and it’s still a great little slice of the world. We get a little bit of everything here. The high points have been the recidivist tournament, the APD mugshot hottie tournaments, the Boston Bomber thread, and the misadventures or Roman. I’m sure there are a few others I’m missing here and there, but those really stand out.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

CR has been a huge reprieve for me considering how shitty football and recruiting have been. I'm probably on it 90% of the time. 

Politics are currently the only competitive "sport" that's not a kick in the nuts every day (unless you're a proud boy). I mean where the fuck else could I have learned so much about the legend of Gritty? 

41 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

There was a time of regular happy hours. Also the annual ousucks meet up at Lee Harvey. 

Immamacs thousand dollar challenge for the LSU game last year was a fuckton of fun.

When covid is over we will have a 1k bartab extravaganza 

• Hook 'Em 2

You assholes complete me. (There I said it)

I wouldn't change a thing. I started off just following the football board and Nasty's. Now most of my time is spent in the Cloak Room because politics is now my passion.

Next year maybe I switch over to food or movies. The bottom line, this place has it all. It has the good, bad and ugly of opinions and recommendations that keep me interested 24/7.

My goal is to contribute where I can and hopefully bring a smile or a fuck you to the conversation. Hook'Em

On 11/11/2020 at 3:25 PM, immamac said:

We recently had a poster post a video on a certain thread about their experience with Surlyhorns. It got me genuinely curious what Surly means to different members of the community including lurkers.

What do you love about this place?

What do you hate about it?

What do you wish would change?

Fuck around and find out.

I like the diversity of opinions.

I like sharing in the miserable run of sports failure we are experiencing.

I like pics of scantily clad ladies.

I stumbled on the shag the same way most non-horns did, because of the UT pimp story by Thujone.  I stuck around because of the great food recs and to talk shit to Derka.  He used to opine that Rick Barnes was a better coach than Billy Donovan.  Good times.  

This place has been a wealth of good info beyond food.  It helped me navigate my wife's cancer treatment at MDA.  It helped me navigate my son applying to and attending UT in Austin.  It helped me with my parent's recent divorce. There are good people here beneath all the snark.

I wouldn't change anything about it other than reclaiming the original name, which I know isn't really possible.  The political stuff is a reflection of the country, hiding it or cutting it away wont fix anything.  The echo chambers people live in is a big part of the problem.  We need to be exposed to the other side's opinions and ideas.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

I’ll bring my mom.

I've seen this before on Maury... this is the Surly Happy Hour where we find out who's your dad?

Edited by slorch

On 11/14/2020 at 5:56 AM, Armybrat said:

To answer your questions in order:

B11FA834-802F-406B-AE94-B1AE13E8910F.gif

7FE0FB8F-A33F-4503-9E23-B0B98A49A33B.png

DFCA205F-DB67-467F-8186-8F9A8A33B3C0.png

Our cultural and intellectual superiority set Texas apart from the weak sisters of texas and aggy. As for LSU and the rest of the SEC cumbuckets, we would be beating them like the rugs that they are - if we landed Texas talent. Branding helps recruiting. We have gotten soft. Bring back the BOMC weapon. We can do two things at once. We are Texas.

28duov.jpg

Edited by washparkhorn

11 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

Our cultural and intellectual superiority set Texas apart from the weak sisters of texas and aggy. As for LSU and the rest of the SEC cumbuckets, we would be beating them like the rugs that they are - if we landed Texas talent. Branding helps recruiting. We have gotten soft. Bring back the BOMC weapon. We can do two things at once. We are Texas.

28duov.jpg

I cant look at her tits, and her face at the same time.

This is by far the best place on the internet to engage in a kind of intellectual dumbfuckery. The place where people get my jokes, and get that they are jokes. Where you encounter the kind of people engaging in the sort of stupidity that you have to be rather intelligent to engage in. Sobriety is optional, possibly discouraged.

Also, boobs.

The negative is that -- like many internet forums -- people can drag bullshit in from one thread into another. Someone will be a dipshit in one thread, and then some jackass loser will bring it up in another that has nothing to do with that thread's topic, just to be a cunt. Cut that shit out.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I am fascinated and made better by the diversity represented here with the only common thread being Texas sports and not even love of Texas sports (lots of other universities represented).

I enjoy the distraction and banter.

I like knowing people here, little peeks into the lives of others.

Content is curated by the community very well. Content is probably some of the best on the internet. I don’t engage much in Twitter or Reddit because the highest quality material ends up here. Same with TV, news, media, music, you name it - if it’s worthy of discussion or attention it shows up here.

Subject matter expertise across an untold number of topics is off the charts here. Niche threads may not have a ton of users but the ones on them are active and extremely knowledgeable. And maybe just as valuable - folks get out of the way and let the experts talk. It’s really amazing. Just look at the new vaccine thread as an example. Several docs sharing others asking questions. That’s an example of why this place is so spectacular.

This place makes me smarter not dumber. This really is one of the first places I go to for information.

The inside stories and humor in everyday life - like wulaws RV thread are pure gold.

The serious threads are life savers for many people here and I’m glad to be a part of and around that.

I enjoy how the niche threads create sub communities. There are guys and gals I know fairly well here because of the threads I hang out on. Really creates a sense of community and eliminates my need to be on half a dozen other boards.

As we’ve aged we’ve gotten softer which is good, but as the resident “tranny” here the locker room and boys will be boys at the expense of others some times grates - not always - but whateves - most of the time y’all step up if called out on it. Thankfully the ignore feature is top notch for those who are just dicks.

The sports threads are a total beat down usually. Odd how a board was founded on sports talk - is amazingly successful but it’s best qualities have nothing to do with sports talk.

I get the hate for CR but some of the smartest posters are there and if you can wade through the cesspool you can learn a lot and get news from a sophisticated set of sources.

I’ve tried to quit this place 5-6 times over the years for a variety of reasons. I’ve made it a few months but always come back. I think these reasons are why.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

On 11/12/2020 at 12:42 PM, 52-80 said:

It's not the CR itself that's bad.  It's that the CR inhabitants leak out of the cesspool.

Put another way, the quality of participants who post 90% everything and 10% CR, is better than that of people who post 90% CR and 10% everything else.

Maybe you should retain the CR as a sort of honey trap.  Every week, a bot runs a scan, and if 80% of a person's post is in the CR, they get an autoban.

The CR is fucking horrible, I still don't understand why they haven't nerfed rep given there or instituted some sort of counter that puts a poster in timeout for only/majority posting there. Aside from that, I like the majority of posters and the irreverence. Great place that I've been a part of since the start, though sometimes I'll go lurker for years at a time.

• Hook 'Em 2