Mmm hmm, reckon you make me some biscuits?

deadshank

Ingredients:

For every 3 biscuits:

1 cup (5 oz.; 150g) all purpose or soft wheat flour

1.5 teaspoons (about 5g) baking powder 1/4 teaspoon (about 3g) kosher salt (if using table salt, that’s 1/8th teaspoon)

5 ounces (about 2/3rds of a cup) heavy cream

For the sausage gravy:

4 ounces (120g) breakfast sausage (plus a little butter or oil if it’s too lean)

1 tablespoon flour

1 cup heavy cream (milk will also work) Freshly ground black pepper and salt

1. Preheat an oven to 425F. Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Add the heavy cream and mix into a shaggy dough. Do not knead it. Dump it onto a floured work surface and form it into a rough log about 3 inches wide and 9 inches long. Cut it into three biscuits with a sharp knife. Transfer to a baking sheet and bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes. (You can brush them with heavy cream or melted butter before baking for darker and more even browning, if you wish.) 2. Meanwhile make the gravy: cook the sausage in a medium skillet over medium-high heat, breaking it up with a wooden spoon until it’s not longer pink. If the pan is very dry, add a couple teaspoons of oil or butter to moisten it. Add 1 tablespoon of flour and stir to incorporate. Whisk in the heavy cream or milk. Bring to a simmer while stirring frequently and adjust the consistency with more heavy cream or milk if it’s too thick. Season aggressively with black pepper and salt. 3. When the biscuits are done, transfer to a plate and smother with the sausage gravy. Serve.

haven't tried it yet but biscuits seem easy AF to make. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

I'm going to try the biscuit recipe from Lazlo's post above.  I usually use frozen biscuits, but feel a little dirty for doing so.  For the gravy, I much prefer sausage gravy.  No issues with burning the milk or flour either.  I brown about a half pound of spicy breakfast sausage in a skillet, then add little over 1/4 cup of flour to it.  Brown for a couple more minutes, then slowly add a bit of milk until it's the right consistency and then add a little pepper to taste.  It's always awesome.

16 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I think I could get my head around NY "rents" well enough, and expensive fine to decent restaurants.  But the sticker shock on simple things like biscuits would continue to aggravate me to no end.

Pies & Thighs: $3.50 ...better?

articles in general that say "you can't get this item of any quality in this town" suck, especially when it's a big city. typically the author is biased or lazy.

On 11/16/2020 at 10:54 AM, Texas St. Armadillos said:

Fried egg with a runny yolk can be a strong addition to this setup.

Food truck at the farmers market does a biscuit, sausage patty, over easy egg, topped with sausage gravy. It’s my meal for the day those weekends we go.

On 11/15/2020 at 8:16 PM, Trey3216 said:

My favorite breakfast:

homemade biscuits with peppered cream gravy (I like sausage gravy just as much, so either).  Take a few pieces of bacon and turn them into bacon bits.   Sprinkle the bacon bits on top of the B&G.   Add a little extra pepper, and you can get fancy and pretty by adding some fresh cut green onions on top as well.   

Like so?  Posted a year or so ago in the steel shank thread.

spacer.png

• Drool 1

1 hour ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Like so?  Posted a year or so ago in the steel shank thread.

spacer.png

Yes, and with fresh green onions on top (though the jalapeños work as well, or poblanos).   

and yes, I too will scrounge up a set of those plates after my parents pass on.   

They tasted great. I will go find the recipe, I have several to sort through. Funny thing about these, they didn’t have buttermilk just regular milk. 
i was trying to find a good recipe for biscuits using plain milk since we don’t always have buttermilk on hand.

4 hours ago, RMac5 said:

They tasted great. I will go find the recipe, I have several to sort through. Funny thing about these, they didn’t have buttermilk just regular milk. 
i was trying to find a good recipe for biscuits using plain milk since we don’t always have buttermilk on hand.

In a bind I put a little vinegar or lemon juice in regular milk. 

4 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

You mix it with water, but It depends on what I'm using it for.  I have a bread recipe that uses it in the powdered form, but I've mixed it with water to use in batter for frying.

We have had this on hand on various occasions.  Seems like it gets really hard and clumpy after it's been opened.  Hard to scrape out measurements.

On 11/16/2020 at 12:07 PM, cam4mav said:

Ingredients:

For every 3 biscuits:

1 cup (5 oz.; 150g) all purpose or soft wheat flour

1.5 teaspoons (about 5g) baking powder 1/4 teaspoon (about 3g) kosher salt (if using table salt, that’s 1/8th teaspoon)

5 ounces (about 2/3rds of a cup) heavy cream

For the sausage gravy:

4 ounces (120g) breakfast sausage (plus a little butter or oil if it’s too lean)

1 tablespoon flour

1 cup heavy cream (milk will also work) Freshly ground black pepper and salt

1. Preheat an oven to 425F. Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Add the heavy cream and mix into a shaggy dough. Do not knead it. Dump it onto a floured work surface and form it into a rough log about 3 inches wide and 9 inches long. Cut it into three biscuits with a sharp knife. Transfer to a baking sheet and bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes. (You can brush them with heavy cream or melted butter before baking for darker and more even browning, if you wish.) 2. Meanwhile make the gravy: cook the sausage in a medium skillet over medium-high heat, breaking it up with a wooden spoon until it’s not longer pink. If the pan is very dry, add a couple teaspoons of oil or butter to moisten it. Add 1 tablespoon of flour and stir to incorporate. Whisk in the heavy cream or milk. Bring to a simmer while stirring frequently and adjust the consistency with more heavy cream or milk if it’s too thick. Season aggressively with black pepper and salt. 3. When the biscuits are done, transfer to a plate and smother with the sausage gravy. Serve.

haven't tried it yet but biscuits seem easy AF to make. 

Made these this morning with some venison breakfast sausage for the gravy.  Slammed hard.  Didn’t get pics because it disappeared in rapid fashion.   

5587ba76a2af845938cdf59e4123ee48.jpg
While I get the love of lard and the performance of crisco, I think butter is best for flavor. These were made with a weird mix of dairy (milk, buttermilk, creme fraiche, sour cream) as I only had a little buttermilk on hand. I think I could’ve gotten 30%+ more butter in there, but they served their purpose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On everything?  Go on...

6 japs
3 cloves garlic
1/4 cup olive oil
Handful of cilantro
1/2 tsp kosher salt

Boil peppers and peeled garlic for 20 minutes
Then take and put them in ice water to cool off.
Once cool, cut stems off peppers and put them,garlic, oil , cilantro(stems and leaves) and salt in blender.
Liquefy that shit.
Keeps in the fridge for a couple weeks
Profit.

378fb4169ae4bb19faa65c54e821e605.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

• 3 months later...
On 1/1/2021 at 8:55 PM, BigDHornfan said:

6 japs
3 cloves garlic
1/4 cup olive oil
Handful of cilantro
1/2 tsp kosher salt

Boil peppers and peeled garlic for 20 minutes
Then take and put them in ice water to cool off.
Once cool, cut stems off peppers and put them,garlic, oil , cilantro(stems and leaves) and salt in blender.
Liquefy that shit.
Keeps in the fridge for a couple weeks
Profit.

378fb4169ae4bb19faa65c54e821e605.jpg

Made a batch of this today.  Very tasty.

• 7 months later...