Gross shit from when you were a kid

austingirl

13 hours ago, utee94 said:

We ate a boatload of deviled ham.  I always liked it but haven't thought about it in decades.  I'm pretty sure I will consume some this weekend for old times sake.

When Hurricane Sandy was coming up the NE area and we were under threats of losing power for a few days, went and bought a few cans of Deviled Ham/Vienna Sausages for emergency use.  Never really lost any power but still got to enjoy having both again. 

2 hours ago, bigcigar said:

Microwaved quesadilla with Kraft single

Fucking this.

Which pisses me off, in retrospect.  It's not like they didn't know how to make a real quesadilla, but I got a store-bought flour tortilla folded over a slice of cheese and nuked.  Of course, when we got our first microwave when I was about 10, mom thought it was a miracle machine and everything should be cooked in it.

To really dress up the quesadilla, I'd sprinkle some Bacos in there.  Not bacon, but Bacos -- those soy-powder or whatever they are "fake bacon" pieces that we always seemed to have on hand because they were shelf-stable (no need for the fridge space).  Nuked gummy tortilla, sliced cheese, and bacos.  And I actually thought I was livin' right.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Nuked gummy tortilla, sliced cheese, and bacos.  And I actually thought I was livin' right.

I’m not sure I had a real quesadilla until I was 10 or so. About as mind blowing as eating real bbq after years of chains and my uncle’s grill/oven crap (no smoke, sandpaper texture).

Just found this thread and have read the whole thing. The only thing I can say is that I have pretty much eaten everything on here. Some I had forgotten, a lot I still eat today. The only conclusion I can come to is that we are mostly a bunch of old folks. You younger ones are the kids of us and you got fed the same shit we did.

On 4/25/2018 at 8:05 PM, DixonHur said:

Pickled pigs feet, anyone?

My maternal grandmother was from Germany, and she loved pickled pigs feet and pickled eggs.  Anytime she ate it, I would just stare in slack jawed horror.

My family owned a grocery store on Gulfway in Port Arthur for several generations. We sold pig's feet out of a giant jar and those things went fast. Never tried one myself.

3 hours ago, happyhookem said:

Just found this thread and have read the whole thing. The only thing I can say is that I have pretty much eaten everything on here. Some I had forgotten, a lot I still eat today.

Please share your favorite "fish cooked in dishwasher" recipes.

On April 25, 2018 at 1:03 PM, BottleRocket said:

csb/      I have a friend who grew up really poor in Paris, Tx.  His mom worked at the Catfish King.  I was having dinner with him in Austin several years back and he ordered something that came with a side dish of tartar sauce.  He told me that it was as good as the pea salad that his mom made for him when he was growing up.   You should have seen the look on his face when I told him that he was eating tartar sauce and not pea salad.  Apparently, his mom had been stealing tubs of tartar sauce from the Catfish King and telling him that it was pea salad. 

Hits close. Have stopped in at that Catfish King several times.

Plenty of all you can eat catfish places in area. Love some catfish.

On 4/27/2018 at 12:59 PM, Brisketexan said:

Fucking this.

Which pisses me off, in retrospect.  It's not like they didn't know how to make a real quesadilla, but I got a store-bought flour tortilla folded over a slice of cheese and nuked.  Of course, when we got our first microwave when I was about 10, mom thought it was a miracle machine and everything should be cooked in it.

To really dress up the quesadilla, I'd sprinkle some Bacos in there.  Not bacon, but Bacos -- those soy-powder or whatever they are "fake bacon" pieces that we always seemed to have on hand because they were shelf-stable (no need for the fridge space).  Nuked gummy tortilla, sliced cheese, and bacos.  And I actually thought I was livin' right.

Did she refer to it as a science oven?