Gross shit from when you were a kid

austingirl

Just now, BillyBadAss said:

You guys notice that Saltines (Original Premium) have changed recently?  It's like they're not as crispy and less salty. I had to start buying the Keebler Zesta's instead. 

Ah the joy of being a kid and opening a package that is just a little bit burnt.

You guys notice that Saltines (Original Premium) have changed recently?  It's like they're not as crispy and less salty. I had to start buying the Keebler Zesta's instead. 

I used to make a stack of saltine PB&Js as a snack all the time when I was a kid.

53 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

It seems like saltines were the national dish of Texas in the 50's, 60's, & 70's. I remember grandpa eating them nearly every day with either peanut butter or summer sausage and cheese. 

I love on Saltines with peanut butter and some soft, room-temp cheddar.  With a glass of milk.  

Manna from heaven.

8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Just last night, I went to an old reliable snack -- four saltines, each topped with 1/4 of a slice of american cheese from a cellophane wrapper.  Unwrap, fold over, fold over again, breaks into 4 squares of saltine-topping perfection.

That was one of my mainstays from about 4th-8th grade.

12 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Just last night, I went to an old reliable snack -- four saltines, each topped with 1/4 of a slice of american cheese from a cellophane wrapper.  Unwrap, fold over, fold over again, breaks into 4 squares of saltine-topping perfection.

My gourmet version of this is to add a piece of hard salami and a small pickle slice.   Also love the pb&j version.

2 hours ago, austingirl said:

It's like some executive at Hormel or wherever thought hey, we need to step up our potted meat product game. Let's throw some briny balls of grossness in with the lips and assholes!

olive+loaf.jpg

Damn, out here we never had a loaf...we got the pre sliced version packaged like the other lunchmeat. As someone who is basically addicted to olives, I have difficulty understanding ones' aversion to them. German grandma used make a sandwich with whipped cream cheese with chopped  black olives on freshly baked rye bread . One of the high points of my youth. I had a pretty low bar...

19 hours ago, austingirl said:

I'm generally not picky but the two foods I detest are mayo and olives. When I was a kid, my dad's favorite sandwich was olive loaf on Wonder bread with a generous smear of mayo. Which still makes me want to hurk just reading about it. What about you?

Gotdam.

Mayo is #1 for me.  Olives #2.  #3 is bananas.  And I don't understand how anyone who doesn't live in Alaska eats canned vegetables.  

Blows my mind to go to my in-laws house in Denton and they're serving canned vegetables.  

13 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

One of my go-to snacks.

This has really morphed away from gross shit and into a reminiscent of my childhood thread - 

Peanut butter and honey sandwiches- Check.  Was a go to at my grandmother's, especially when the ran out of their mayhaw jelly late in the year- Excellent 

I never could get on board with liver and onions however - My father LOVED it.  My mother wouldn't allow it in the house b/c of the smell  so he'd order it at Luby's or whatever diner or cafeteria he could.  Rest of the table be damned - if you didn't like it, go sit at another table but he was paying only for the food eaten at his table so choose wisely.

Bread and Butter pickles, Sliced tomatoes, cucumbers soaked in white vinegar, butter and white bread was on the table for every summertime family meal I can remember.

Saltines are great.  My old man used to keep saltines and Ritz and would eat them every afternoon either with some PB and raisins, or cheese and summer sausage.

I always preferred the Zesta brand and would polish off a whole sleeve in one sitting as a kid.

16 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Or as a kid when grocery day was a day away and all you had left was a sleeve of crackers and 2 squares of cheese. It amazing how small you could make your cheese pieces.

On 4/23/2018 at 10:16 AM, deadshank said:

Hunting camp cuisine never fails to bring the lulz.

We used to go up to CO to elk and mule deer hunt every year.  When we started going, the owner of the ranch where we hunted would always "take care of the food" which amounted to having his ma fry up a mess of chicken.

Of course, he kept it on ice in an old Coleman cooler.  After the 2nd day, the ice would be melted and the fried yard bird would be floating around in the 90% melted ice.  The drunks would always forget to close the plastic bags the bird pieces were in.  

Cold, water logged, fried chicken for the next 4 days sucked.

We fired him from his commisary duties and soon started cooking our own stuff.

Come on man, you are fucking rookies.  For hunting, offshore fishing, or camping, you don't do it like that.  You have one cooler for food.  All food is in zip loc bags.  And you use frozen water bottles, not ice, to keep everything cold.  You're better than that.

On 4/23/2018 at 10:10 AM, Brisketexan said:

Fuck yes it is.

It's like some of you heathens never went fishing or hunting in the 1970s.

Olive and pimento loaf sammiches. Vienna sausages and mustard.  Saltines and PB.  Saltines and margarine.  LIVING RIGHT, that's what that was.

I started in the late 70s and early 80s.  And I never ate shit like olive loaf or vienna sausages at hunting camp.  

Chili, burgers, fajitas, frito pies, big pot of beans, brisket, sausage wraps, breakfast tacos, deer backstrap, hot dogs, etc.  You don't have to eat filets every meal, but fuck that prison trash you mentioned.

• Like 1

I started in the late 70s and early 80s.  And I never ate shit like olive loaf or vienna sausages at hunting camp.  
Chili, burgers, fajitas, frito pies, big pot of beans, brisket, sausage wraps, breakfast tacos, deer backstrap, hot dogs, etc.  You don't have to eat filets every meal, but fuck that prison trash you mentioned.

I'm of the same era, or maybe a little older and, for lunch, we ate cold cut sandwiches or potted meat and crackers all the time. But dinner was either going in to town for CFS or Mex or cooking steaks at the ranch on the grill.

19 hours ago, utee94 said:

When I was a kid my mom would mix peanut butter and honey, and then we'd spread it on crackers or bread.  

Honey is good but I prefer Karo syrup. I still do this for dessert once in awhile. Let the Karo sit and soak into the bread slice for a few minutes before you spread the PB.

I know you have lots of Germans and Mennonites down your way too so I'm sure you are familiar with the rectangular liver loaf that is covered with a layer of fat. I always peeled the fat off of a slice before eating it but my folks ate it as is. Depression era kids. It wasn't wheat harvest without a basket of those sandwiches on the tailgate of a pickup.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Come on man, you are fucking rookies.  For hunting, offshore fishing, or camping, you don't do it like that.  You have one cooler for food.  All food is in zip loc bags.  And you use frozen water bottles, not ice, to keep everything cold.  You're better than that.

I told you I wasn't in charge of the food.  I was after that fiasco.  We ate like kings from then on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Well, you gotta understand a few things.

1 -- my parents were from the poverty class, or damned close to it.  And we were firmly lower middle class most of my life.  So, packed sandwiches on roadtrips and whatnot were the order of the day.  And our hunting camps and fishing set up were pretty damned rudimentary.  No power, water, fancy shit like that.  I stayed in a cabin that was built using leftover campaign signs from my aunt's last race for county clerk (she held the office for 20 years).  Not fancy, but it kept out the wind and rain.

2 -- caveat: my dad's mexican.  SO, if we were going to the beach....shit was totally different.  Mexicans don't do baloney sammiches at the beach.  Oh no, we packed up the Weber kettle grill, and bags full of marinated fajitas, ribs, and whatnot.  And dad built a good charcoal fire and grilled stuff for lunch.  We ate like kings (kings eating really cheap cuts of meat) at the beach.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

1 -- my parents were from the poverty class, or damned close to it.  And we were firmly lower middle class most of my life.  So, packed sandwiches on roadtrips and whatnot were the order of the day.  And our hunting camps and fishing set up were pretty damned rudimentary.  No power, water, fancy shit like that.  I stayed in a cabin that was built using leftover campaign signs from my aunt's last race for county clerk (she held the office for 20 years).  Not fancy, but it kept out the wind and rain.

2 -- caveat: my dad's mexican.  SO, if we were going to the beach....shit was totally different.  Mexicans don't do baloney sammiches at the beach.  Oh no, we packed up the Weber kettle grill, and bags full of marinated fajitas, ribs, and whatnot.  And dad built a good charcoal fire and grilled stuff for lunch.  We ate like kings (kings eating really cheap cuts of meat) at the beach.

I get it. My first hunting experience was at a place in Catarina.  The cabin was built out of old ad billboards. You’d set 5 rat traps every night and have 5 dead rats every morning. No electricity or water.  Shitter was an old wicker chair outside with a hole cut in it. You’d move it around when done. Kerosene was your heat and oil lamps were light. 

I am no food snob. I will crush cheap hot dogs at the ranch and one of my favorite meals is a tortilla with sausage and spicy mustard. And saltines with peanut butter and honey slam.  

I ain’t eating olive loaf with mayo or Vienna sausage though. 

52 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Luxury!!!! 

I got a handful of hot gravel for supper and slept in a rolled up newspaper in the bottom of a septic tank.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/22/2018 at 10:48 PM, LoneStarBiker said:

Sprouts too, might as well go out in the yard and eat some grass with some dirt mixed in for the grittiness. 

Fuck that shit. Sprouts are amazing. Wife hands me a sammich without sprouts in it, I turn my nose. But that doesn't happen. She knows better. 

If you're a child of the 70's, then any vegetables were disgusting.

It was probably the mid- to late-80's before logistics and trade got to the point where you got a significant amount  of fresh produce in grocery stores.  Before that, the produce aisle was just that: one aisle.  And it was probably half taken up by apples, oranges, bananas, and heads of iceberg lettuce.  The rest of it was onions and potatoes and a few other things that might be in season (e.g., strawberries or grapes or cherries, depending on the time of year).  As far as vegetables go--if you wanted anything much more exotic than squash or carrots, you were fresh out of luck.

The only brussels sprouts or asparagus or green beans on offer were usually either canned or frozen.  And there's a limited set of techniques you can use with canned or frozen vegetables.  So yeah--boiled frozen brussels sprouts were common in my house.  Fucking canned peas--we had that shit at least twice a week.

I love vegetables now.  Asparagus on the grill; brussels sprouts any number of ways; sugar snap peas with just a touch of salt--those are all great.  But none of that fresh shit was available when I was a kid.

8 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

So wayyyy back in the beginning of Shaggy, there was a post about how some school districts in the US were giving cheese sandwiches on white bread to kids who didn't have lunch money, and people were freaking out at how disgusting that was, and how anyone could do that to kids. Now, my family is, by Port Arthur standards, currently well-off, but in elementary school we lived in a trailer park in Nederland and battled tree roaches for counter space. A cold cheese sandwich on white bread was my standard lunch and I liked it just fine. I just remember being flummoxed at how so many people thought it was shameful to serve that to poor kids.

6 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

It was probably the mid- to late-80's before logistics and trade got to the point where you got a significant amount  of fresh produce in grocery stores.  Before that, the produce aisle was just that: one aisle.  And it was probably half taken up by apples, oranges, bananas, and heads of iceberg lettuce.  The rest of it was onions and potatoes and a few other things that might be in season (e.g., strawberries or grapes or cherries, depending on the time of year).  As far as vegetables go--if you wanted anything much more exotic than squash or carrots, you were fresh out of luck.

The only brussels sprouts or asparagus or green beans on offer were usually either canned or frozen.  And there's a limited set of techniques you can use with canned or frozen vegetables.  So yeah--boiled frozen brussels sprouts were common in my house.  Fucking canned peas--we had that shit at least twice a week.

I love vegetables now.  Asparagus on the grill; brussels sprouts any number of ways; sugar snap peas with just a touch of salt--those are all great.  But none of that fresh shit was available when I was a kid.

Roger all this.  Canned asparagus and overcooked frozen brussel sprouts were traumatic meal events.  Love them fresh and properly cooked nowadays.  I even love liver in all forms -- properly cooked, especially as a nice pate with brandy and peppercorns.

The one thing I've never gotten over is oatmeal.  I'd go hungry before I'd eat it as a kid.  Some things never change.  

On 4/22/2018 at 11:39 PM, austingirl said:

I'm generally not picky but the two foods I detest are mayo and olives. When I was a kid, my dad's favorite sandwich was olive loaf on Wonder bread with a generous smear of mayo. Which still makes me want to hurk just reading about it. What about you?

My grandmother was a terrible cook for the most part, although her spaghetti was much better than my grandfather's, which was truly horrendous, mostly because he used tough cuts of steak instead of ground beef. And that was weird because he could cook like a motherfucker when it wasn't spaghetti...Anyway, she would make me baloney, pickle and mayonnaise sandwiches for lunch when I was in early HS and she got really mad at me when confessed to her that they were terrible. 

Edited by MaybeACoordinator

46 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Cotto salami and Ruffles on white bread dressed with mustard. 

Denver Sandwich - ground beef sautéed with bell peppers, onions, and eggs then mixed with mustard and mayonnaise. 

50% of my meals growing up right there. 

I'd voluntarily eat this right now.  I too grew up with a lot of cheap lunch meat sandwiches, and chips were always my go-to way to liven things up.  Especially during the summer, when we'd be out working on the farm every day and not coming back to the house for lunch.

Because I grew up on a hog farm, we did have access to a lot of quality meat for little cost, so dinners were always good - but always pork.  Beef, chicken, and fish were rare items in our home.  But brats, pork burgers, and roast pork were the base of 75% of dinners growing up.

14 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

Yep. It’s why so many people had their own gardens.  

On 4/23/2018 at 11:59 AM, Hank_Hill said:

Canned smoked oysters. I’m sure they taste great and I’d probably enjoy them but all I can think about is when my dad would crack a can open and that noxious smell would permeate the living room. 

Fuck you, those are delicious and I still eat them regularly. To my nose, the ones that are packaged in olive oil don't really have that much of an odor at all. 

18 hours ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

Honey is good but I prefer Karo syrup. I still do this for dessert once in awhile. Let the Karo sit and soak into the bread slice for a few minutes before you spread the PB.

I know you have lots of Germans and Mennonites down your way too so I'm sure you are familiar with the rectangular liver loaf that is covered with a layer of fat. I always peeled the fat off of a slice before eating it but my folks ate it as is. Depression era kids. It wasn't wheat harvest without a basket of those sandwiches on the tailgate of a pickup.

Liver Cheese?  

19218_00044700009550.jpg

Loved that as a kid and still do as an old fart.