Gross shit from when you were a kid

austingirl

Liver and onions....uugh.

My mom would cook liver and onions ONLY on the nights charlie brown was on.  I couldnt watch until I cleaned my plate.  

A close #2 was her tuna casserole.  Noodles with a couple cans of 'chicken of the sea' covered in mushroom cream sauce.

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

A GOOD one, yeah.  

there are a lotta bad ones, though.  A good headcheese with crackers and beer is a thing of beauty.

Best I ever ate was from a small butcher in a little town in Florida. Friend recommended it. Haven't found any that good since. Been along time ago.

Not only was tuna casserole in our dinner rotation, sometimes my dad would step in to cook and he made creamed tuna on toast. Basically just canned tuna, mushroom soup and enough milk that when cooked in the skillet it took on a gravy looking appearance. Add it on top of toasted Wonder bread and viola, supper was served. Of course he also made S.O.S. on the regular, must have been a holdover from his army days.

My mom made tuna on toast as well. I actually liked it then, and still do.

Another one she'd do was a white cream gravy with diced hard boiled egg whites mixed in, served over toast, and then you push the hard boiled yolks though a strainer and sprinkle that over the top.  She called it "goldenrod toast" and I liked that one, too.

Edited by utee94
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, EastTexan said:

Best I ever ate was from a small butcher in a little town in Florida. Friend recommended it. Haven't found any that good since. Been along time ago.

Best I had was from Babineaux's meat market in Breaux Bridge.  It was spicy porky heavenly goodness on a cracker.  When the old man decided to hang it up, none of the kids wanted to take over, and now it's gone.  Gives me a sad.

23 minutes ago, EastTexan said:

A good hog head cheese ain't bad at all. With saltines.

Is this the same as braunschweiger? (not sure if I spelled that right) my dad always had that around. Came in a tube package about the size of Owens Country Sausage. Saltines of course.

49 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Another one she'd do was a white cream gravy with diced hard boiled egg whites mixed in, served over toast, and then you push the hard boiled yolks though a strainer and sprinkle that over the top.  She called it "goldenrod toast" and I liked that one, too.

"Goldenrod  Toast" was a song from Jethro Tull, I'm pretty certain of this.

Edited by Mr.Hovis
spelling

I think braunschweiger is liver, generally.  Pretty different from head cheese.

I'm not far from a town called Elma, Iowa whose locker makes the best braunschweiger I've ever head.  Instead of having that almost creamy, spreadable texture, it's firm.  Like a good summer sausage.  Fantastic shit.

1 hour ago, Underdog said:

Liver Cheese?  

19218_00044700009550.jpg

Loved that as a kid and still do as an old fart. 

Yeah, that's the stuff. They bought it unsliced from the little market in town. I was in HS before I ever had lunch meat from Oscar Meyer  et al. Mom would make braunschweiger and that made pretty good sandwiches. The folks were MiracleWhip people so that's what we used. I like to use brown mustard  with it now.

Edited by Shoxthemonkey

I had one friend whose mom would make braunschweiger sandwiches.  I loved it as a kid.  Actually made my parents buy it a few times.  Hadn't thought about it in years and would probably be grossed out by it now.

My dad is from Pennsylvania, so we always had Scrapple around and we would have SPAM occasionally.

I lived.

csb/      I have a friend who grew up really poor in Paris, Tx.  His mom worked at the Catfish King.  I was having dinner with him in Austin several years back and he ordered something that came with a side dish of tartar sauce.  He told me that it was as good as the pea salad that his mom made for him when he was growing up.   You should have seen the look on his face when I told him that he was eating tartar sauce and not pea salad.  Apparently, his mom had been stealing tubs of tartar sauce from the Catfish King and telling him that it was pea salad. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, utee94 said:

We had this every year after Easter for about 2 weeks, except the whole boiled egg was chopped up and thrown in the gravy.  Just called it creamed eggs, or something like that.

Shit I literally grew up eating as a poors:

- potted meat

- Vienna snausages

- box vermicelli

- peanut butter, jelly and American cheese sandwiches (if you’ve never put cheese on a PB&J, do it now - thank me later)

- bologna or Taylor pork roll and mayo sandwiches

- sardines (mustard ftmfw bitches)

- Braunschweiger

- canned tuna and mustard

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tylerocks said:

I had one friend whose mom would make braunschweiger sandwiches.  I loved it as a kid.  Actually made my parents buy it a few times.  Hadn't thought about it in years and would probably be grossed out by it now.

My dad is from Pennsylvania, so we always had Scrapple around and we would have SPAM occasionally.

I lived.

Dad?

15 minutes ago, Bert Orange said:

Shit I literally grew up eating as a poors:

- potted meat

- Vienna snausages

- box vermicelli

- peanut butter, jelly and American cheese sandwiches (if you’ve never put cheese on a PB&J, do it now - thank me later)

- bologna or Taylor pork roll and mayo sandwiches

- sardines (mustard ftmfw bitches)

- Braunschweiger

- canned tuna and mustard

You described my childhood. Never have done the pbj and cheese but  a strawberry preserves and cheese sandwich is a favorite when the sweet tooth hits. I also like any jelly, jam or preserve stirred into cottage cheese. Good late night snack. I'm gonna do the pbj&c for lunch tomorrow. I'm intrigued.

6 minutes ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

You described my childhood. Never have done the pbj and cheese but  a strawberry preserves and cheese sandwich is a favorite when the sweet tooth hits. I also like any jelly, jam or preserve stirred into cottage cheese. Good late night snack. I'm gonna do the pbj&c for lunch tomorrow. I'm intrigued.

Oh snap. Totally forgot cottage cheese and apple butter. I salute you. Tonight I shall have that in your honor. 

As a kid, my dad would take me fishing and set cans of Beanie Weenies and Vienna sausages on the back of the boat so the sun would heat them up and be warm by lunch. He also doused all the plastic worms we used in anise oil to cover our scent from the fish. When he opened up the cans and served lunch, everything had a licorice taste. Ugh.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Deej said:

As a kid, my dad would take me fishing and set cans of Beanie Weenies and Vienna sausages on the back of the boat so the sun would heat them up and be warm by lunch. He also doused all the plastic worms we used in anise oil to cover our scent from the fish. When he opened up the cans and served lunch, everything had a licorice taste. Ugh.

We did and I still do the same with beanie weenie and pringles.  Use the pringles as spoons.  No anise at all.  Somewhere I have a picture of myself at a turnout in Alaska at the base of the Wrangell mountains sitting in the snow eating that exact thing.  In March.  

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Like 1

What's weird is that I got deviled ham and bologna sandwiches in elementary school and can remember vienna sausage from earlier.  But after I "outgrew" that, or whatever, none of them were ever seen again in our household.  It might have had to do with family finances, but I kind of doubt it, Dad had the same job/employer my entire life.

When I was in grade school sometimes my mom would heat up tamales (sometimes fresh - often canned)  in the morning and spoon them into a thermos.

Stayed piping hot till lunch - dug 'em out with a spoon.....heaven!

I'm guessing the brain trust at Yeti never experienced that or they'd be marketing a $99 "tamale keeper" with sticker and hat to the workin-man.

Damn, braunschweiger talk not going away, maybe my dad's choice of cheap grub wasn't as disgusting as I thought. Pretty sure his was not "higher quality" stuff that is being mentioned though. You can also put me down on team goulash. I liked my mom's and I do  a version that the rest of the family enjoys and it's an easy fix on busy nights. If my picky as hell 14 year old cleans her plate I feel like I accomplished something.