Muschamp shitcanned

Gil Bang

21 hours ago, PHLaggie said:

Gotta say, he disappointed me again, by getting fired. Five seasons at South Carolina, and five straight W's for A&M. Was looking fwd to at least a few more years of W's. :)

He was only there for 5 seasons?!? Jesus, I thought he was there for a decade. I guess being shitty at two schools just meshes them into one. 

31 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

He was only there for 5 seasons?!? Jesus, I thought he was there for a decade. I guess being shitty at two schools just meshes them into one. 

yea man. Mediocrity can seem to drag on far longer. He did have one great season at Florida-- that 2012 year when he beat A&M and Johnny Foosball in College Station 20-17 and famously got that quote about enjoying seeing folks disappointed. But then he lost in the Sugar Bowl that year.... to Charlie Strong's Louisville!  Just goes to show freak QBs like Teddy Bridgewater can help write a lot of coaches' careers (see: Fisher, Jimbo and his "fameis" qb: Winston, Crablegs).

He at least had a winning record at Florida. He seemed lost at SCe-- probably because of a sustained lack of talent, while being completely overshadowed by the in-state rival.

Muschamp was 28-21 at Florida in 4 seasons, and 28-30 in 5* seasons at South Carolina.

*5th season record being obviously shortened due to mid-season firing.

Edited by PHLaggie
  • Hook 'Em 3

27 minutes ago, PHLaggie said:

yea man. Mediocrity can seem to drag on far longer. He did have one great season at Florida-- that 2012 year when he beat A&M and Johnny Foosball in College Station 20-17 and famously got that quote about enjoying seeing folks disappointed. But then he lost in the Sugar Bowl that year.... to Charlie Strong's Louisville!  Just goes to show freak QBs like Teddy Bridgewater can help write a lot of coaches' careers (see: Fisher, Jimbo and his "fameis" qb: Winston, Crablegs).

He at least had a winning record at Florida. He seemed lost at SCe-- probably because of a sustained lack of talent, while being completely overshadowed by the in-state rival.

Muschamp was 28-21 at Florida in 4 seasons, and 28-30 in 5* seasons at South Carolina.

I remember that one season at Florida where he lost to Teddy Bridgewater (Charlie Strong gets no credit). I think it was at that point that I kind of knew Muschamp was in over his head, and sure enough it went down hill. That seems so long ago that I really do feel like it's been a decade lol. 

Also wanted to add that you're absolutely correct about freak QB's making a coach look better than they are (Cam Newton, Winston, Bridgewater, and really Vince Young/Colt Mccoy due to Mack getting his shit pushed in by ou without them for the most part). 

Edited by Spider2YBanana

29 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I remember that one season at Florida where he lost to Teddy Bridgewater (Charlie Strong gets no credit). I think it was at that point that I kind of knew Muschamp was in over his head, and sure enough it went down hill. That seems so long ago that I really do feel like it's been a decade lol. 

Also wanted to add that you're absolutely correct about freak QB's making a coach look better than they are (Cam Newton, Winston, Bridgewater, and really Vince Young/Colt Mccoy due to Mack getting his shit pushed in by ou without them for the most part). 

You should see that loss to L’ville again. Bridgewater managed about 1 drive, and a few miracle throws. Offensively I think they didn’t manage much more than 330 yards. It was a win, but not anywhere near the kind where you thought UF was outclassed by UL.

On 11/16/2020 at 1:28 PM, Hagbard Celine said:

And, miraculously, the 6-1-1 preserves the Alabama-Georgia duckfest where since 1961 they've played in the regular season once every 8ish years, including the 30 years before the addition of pig and cock in '92 when there were only 10 teams in the SEC.

Imagine that.  Absolute mathematical brilliance.

The SEC had an unusual way of running their conference.  

On 11/16/2020 at 8:42 PM, Bobby_Batronic said:

You should see that loss to L’ville again. Bridgewater managed about 1 drive, and a few miracle throws. Offensively I think they didn’t manage much more than 330 yards. It was a win, but not anywhere near the kind where you thought UF was outclassed by UL.

I remember UL was just fiercer and faster all day.  Odd thing was that even with Bridgewater, Strong's Cards seemed to win with their defense. 

5 hours ago, notre dame joe said:

The SEC had an unusual way of running their conference.  

I remember UL was just fiercer and faster all day.  Odd thing was that even with Bridgewater, Strong's Cards seemed to win with their defense. 

It wasn’t odd. It was the incredibly shitty offensive scheme Boom put out in play. Florida appeared to play defense against themselves with dropped passes, shit run game, and some really questionable calls.

On 11/15/2020 at 8:11 PM, LTtxfan said:

Freudian Slip... Article already lists Napier as "South Carolina HC"

7 Coaching Candidates to Replace Will Muschamp at South Carolina

• Billy Napier, Head Coach, South Carolina
  • Shane Beamer, Assistant Coach, Oklahoma
  • Joe Brady, Offensive Coordinator, Carolina Panthers
  • Jamey Chadwell, Head Coach, Coastal Carolina
  • Hugh Freeze, Head Coach, Liberty
  • Will Healy, Head Coach, Charlotte
  • Steve Sarkisian, Offensive Coordinator, Alabama

Napier has ties to the state of South Carolina, as he played his college ball at Furman (1999-02) and later worked as an assistant at Clemson (2003-04 and 2006-10) and spent one season at South Carolina State (2005). However, Napier’s biggest draw to the program is his success as a head coach at Louisiana. The Ragin’ Cajuns are 25-11 under Napier’s watch and have claimed three consecutive Sun Belt West Division titles. Additionally, Louisiana’s 11-win campaign in 2019 was the best season in school history, and the program knocked off Iowa State on the road in the ’20 opener. Napier also has experience from stops as an assistant at Colorado State (2012), Alabama (2013-16) and Arizona State (2017). The 41-year-old coach has raised the Ragin’ Cajuns’ profile on the recruiting trail and knows how to build successful offenses.

Beamer is a South Carolina native, so there’s some natural ties to the area. Additionally, Beamer has experience as an assistant at several high-profile programs, including Mississippi State (2004-06), Virginia Tech (2011-15), Georgia (2016-17) and Oklahoma (2018-current). Beamer worked from 2007-10 as an assistant at South Carolina and is regarded for his work on the recruiting trail. Beamer does not have any experience as a head coach, but he’s got a strong resume from his time as an assistant.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/south-carolina-football-7-coaching-candidates-replace-will-muschamp

Still hearing Napier and Beamer are two of the favorites... Alumni want stronger ties to South Carolina.  Surprised that Tony Elliott doesn't seem to be getting any interest -- maybe not being available until after the CFB Playoffs end makes it more challenging to consider Elliott.

Shane Beamer will be interviewed for the "Cocks" vacant head coaching position...

Shane Beamer to interview for South Carolina football coach vacancy, sources say

4:54 PM CT.  Chris LowESPN Senior Writer

Backed by some big names, Oklahoma assistant head coach for offense Shane Beamer will interview for the South Carolina head coaching vacancy and is a strong candidate for the job, sources told ESPN on Wednesday.  Beamer, the son of Hall of Fame coach Frank Beamer, was South Carolina's recruiting coordinator in 2009 and 2010 when the Gamecocks assembled some of their best recruiting classes in school history, serving as a foundation for three consecutive 11-win seasons and three consecutive top-10 finishes in the final polls.  An assistant on Steve Spurrier's staff from 2007-10, Beamer has received mounting support from some prominent alumni to be the Gamecocks' next head coach.

"Coach Beamer is someone that leaves an impression on you with his love and enthusiasm for the game," former South Carolina running back Marcus Lattimore, who is the program's leader with 38 rushing TDs, told ESPN. "He makes you want to play for him. He's smart and personable. He loves his family. That should tell you all you need to know about how I feel about him and this job."

Los Angeles Chargers defensive end Melvin Ingram, a three-time Pro Bowl selection in the NFL, and Patrick DiMarco, a Pro Bowl fullback with the Atlanta Falcons in 2015, endorsed Beamer.

"Shane has expressed this is his dream job, and I believe all fans are hoping that our next head coach is a Gamecock lifer, like Shane's dad Frank was at Virginia Tech," DiMarco told ESPN.

"... Shane knows what winning looks like. He knows what success looks like, and he knows that is created from the culture and leadership that he will bring to the table. Shane has been successful everywhere he's been, and that's not by luck."

Fomer South Carolina players DeVonte Holloman, Stephen Garcia and Tori Gurley also support the hiring of Beamer.  "He was definitely a player's coach. We all loved playing for him," said Garcia, who engineered the Gamecocks' 35-21 upset of then-No. 1 Alabama in 2010. "He was always energized and got us motivated. I hope he gets it."

DeAngelo Hall, who played under Frank Beamer at Virginia Tech, even recently floated the idea of Beamer returning to coach the Hokies.

Beamer, 43, played at Virginia Tech and coached under his father at Virginia Tech after leaving South Carolina. He is one of several candidates on South Carolina's list in its search to replace Will Muschamp, who was fired on Nov. 15. Others include Coastal Carolina's Jamey Chadwell, Louisiana's Billy Napier, Louisville's Scott Satterfield, Liberty's Hugh Freeze and Clemson offensive coordinator Tony Elliott.

Satterfield, however, on Wednesday reaffirmed his commitment to Louisville and said he had not pursued any other job offers. Freeze also told ESPN's Gene Wojciechowski last week that he was at "total peace" at Liberty and wouldn't "entertain things of that nature at this point" when asked about the South Carolina job.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/30389567/shane-beamer-interview-south-carolina-football-coach-vacancy-sources-say

• 1 month later...

Will Muschamp, USC agree to reduced buyout figure, documents show

BY GREG HADLEY.       JANUARY 22, 2021 

The University of South Carolina and former football coach Will Muschamp have reached a deal to reduce his buyout by more than $2 million, according to documents obtained by The State through a Freedom of Information Act request.

Under the terms of a settlement signed by both parties on Dec. 30, USC has paid Muschamp a lump sum of $12.9 million. Prior to that, Muschamp was scheduled to be make $15.3 million, spread out through 2024. The settlement dictated that the lump sum payment be made by Dec. 31, 2020.

As part of the settlement, both sides have now fully released each other from all claims and promised not to sue each other. Muschamp also agreed that he will not “actively recruit or encourage” any current student-athletes at South Carolina to enter the transfer portal or transfer to another school, “through direct or indirect communication.”

If he is found to have done so, he will owe USC the entire lump sum back. Any disputes as part of the settlement will first go to non-binding arbitration.

South Carolina athletic director Ray Tanner told The State last Friday that negotiations between him and Muschamp “may be in a position of finality,” but deferred to the school’s legal counsel. Tanner had previously said he had dealt with Muschamp directly in hopes of reaching an “amicable” agreement.

Under Muschamp’s contract, he would have been owed 75% of his salary for the life of the deal — the last signed amendment to the contract extended through 2024 at more than $20.6 million total, putting the 75% buyout at around $15.3 million.

Since Muschamp’s dismissal in November, the status of his buyout has been scrutinized, especially given the massive deficit the Gamecocks athletics department is expected to face as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.

In January, The State confirmed that Muschamp’s contract did not include mitigation language, included in some coaches’ contracts, which reduces the school’s buyout bill by however much money the coach makes at his next job.

The State also confirmed that an amendment to Muschamp’s contract that would have reduced his buyout to $13.2 million never went into effect — Muschamp had agreed to a pay cut to fund a raise for running backs coach Thomas Brown, but Brown soon left South Carolina for a job in the NFL and the amendment, although passed by USC’s board of trustees, was never signed. 

https://www.thestate.com/sports/college/university-of-south-carolina/usc-football/article248708150.html

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Muschamp also agreed that he will not “actively recruit or encourage” any current student-athletes at South Carolina to enter the transfer portal or transfer to another school, “through direct or indirect communication.”

If he is found to have done so, he will owe USC the entire lump sum back. Any disputes as part of the settlement will first go to non-binding arbitration.

Otherwise known in the industry as a Mack Brown clause.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Hanrahan said:

It means they’ve settled and the language is intended to ensure neither party later tries to renege on the settlement. Lawyer words.

I have had some exposure to SC state law and it is archaic as hell.  Like frozen in 1860 or something.

In most jurisdictions, if you have a settlement agreement and it's breached, the only thing you're worried about is the terms of the settlement agreement, NOT the contract or other dispute in the case that was settled by the settlement agreement.  Most of the time, you have some language to make that clear, but in most jurisdictions, the settlement agreement in a contract case replaces the earlier contract, entirely.

So, in this example, if for some reason the settlement is breached, the question arises are we talking about the $15.3M again, or just the $12.9M.

In Texas, the clear answer is the latter.  In SC, it wouldn't surprise me that if that "magic language" isn't included, the $15.3 is "back on the table."  SC law seems to be rather fond of magic language.  Obscure magic language.

ASSUMPSIT!

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

On 11/16/2020 at 6:44 PM, PHLaggie said:

Gonna be sad to not see Champ on the UofSC sideline as well. I can't quite figure out the Surl's obsession with him, but the "lack of talent" is Muschamp's creation. He disappeared two 5 star DL, Jordan Burch and some other kid. Landed them in back to back classes and buried the first kid so deep that I cant even remember his name. I think one of them finally got a sack in the last game of this season. 

14 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Gonna be sad to not see Champ on the UofSC sideline as well. I can't quite figure out the Surl's obsession with him, but the "lack of talent" is Muschamp's creation. He disappeared two 5 star DL, Jordan Burch and some other kid. Landed them in back to back classes and buried the first kid so deep that I cant even remember his name. I think one of them finally got a sack in the last game of this season. 

That’s because you don’t have a Boom Motherfucker t-shirt. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

There's something that feels wrong to me about taking $12 million from a university for a job you failed at. I understand the reason contracts are set up this way, but the money is so huge when you are working that this massive settlement feels excessive if the paying entity is an educational institution.

I think coaches deserve something for foregone opportunity. Seems like $5mil would be a good deal for everybody.

I will add that in the same position I might view the decision differently. At least Muschamp let 'em keep $2m.

It means neither side is admitting fault.

Dammit, Boom defense and a Mullen offense and we’d be salty. Hell, if we averaged 24 points a game with Boom his record would have been great. He can’t fucking install anything but a shit offense anywhere he’s gone. Charlie fuckin Weiss as OC? fml
  • Haha 1

On 11/16/2020 at 8:44 PM, PHLaggie said:

He did have one great season at Florida-- that 2012 year when he beat A&M and Johnny Foosball in College Station 20-17 and famously got that quote about enjoying seeing folks disappointed.

no one who roots for Florida would call 2012 a great season for them

they've done this thing-- I know you as an Aggie aren't familiar with it-- where they won the national championship, a few times. and they've had a few years where they won their conference championship (again, foreign concept)

in 2012 they didn't even win the division and lost to Georgia. no one who roots for Florida is sitting around pulling his pud thinking about Johnny Manziel (once again, I know that will be foreign to you as an Aggie)

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Gatorubet said:

Dammit, Boom defense and a Mullen offense and we’d be salty. Hell, if we averaged 24 points a game with Boom his record would have been great. He can’t fucking install anything but a shit offense anywhere he’s gone. Charlie fuckin Weiss as OC? fml

So maybe, just maybe, he isn't head coach material.   Head coaching is about managing the job site as a whole and not just being the best bricklayer.

2 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

There's something that feels wrong to me about taking $12 million from a university for a job you failed at. I understand the reason contracts are set up this way, but the money is so huge when you are working that this massive settlement feels excessive if the paying entity is an educational institution.

I think coaches deserve something for foregone opportunity. Seems like $5mil would be a good deal for everybody.

I will add that in the same position I might view the decision differently. At least Muschamp let 'em keep $2m.

Don’t feel to bad for them, they will make it up in tuition and carry the note for the student.

• Rage+1 1

16 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

no one who roots for Florida would call 2012 a great season for them

they've done this thing-- I know you as an Aggie aren't familiar with it-- where they won the national championship, a few times. and they've had a few years where they won their conference championship (again, foreign concept)

in 2012 they didn't even win the division and lost to Georgia. no one who roots for Florida is sitting around pulling his pud thinking about Johnny Manziel (once again, I know that will be foreign to you as an Aggie)

IMG_0209.jpg

18 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

You don’t say

20 hours ago, RMac5 said:

Don’t feel to bad for them, they will make it up in tuition and carry the note for the student.

The burden of student loans on graduates is a national shame. When you're 18-22, you're like a baby turtle racing across the sand towards the surf. 

You could pay your way through UT with a really good summer job when I went.  

To make this relevant, the Muschamp kids likely won't need student loans. 

On 11/16/2020 at 8:44 PM, PHLaggie said:

Username made me laugh my ass off! Well played there bud lol 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Coach "BOOM" handling Special Teams

Georgia's Cochran absent; Muschamp moving to on-field role

The University of Georgia is missing special teams coordinator Scott Cochran, as he deals with what Kirby Smart termed a "health" issue in a statement Sunday. Will Muschamp is next man up for the Bulldogs.

JOHN BRICE   15 HOURS AGO

One of the University of Georgia's most high-profile assistant coaches is not presently with the team.  Scott Cochran, the former long-time strength and conditioning coordinator under Nick Saban at Alabama, rising to acclaim with the Crimson Tide, is not with Kirby Smart's Bulldogs' program as Georgia opens preseason camp in preparation for the 2021 season.

“Coach Cochran is currently dealing with health issues and is taking time to prioritize his mental health and well-being,” Smart said in a statement, released by the University of Georgia. “We fully support him as he takes this time to focus on his well-being.”

Smart is elevating an old friend and veteran Southeastern Conference former head coach into the void left in Cochran's absence.  Will Muschamp is set to take over special teams' oversight for the Bulldogs, per sources and multiple reports; however, Robby Discher, a new addition to the Georgia staff this offseason after time as Billy Napier's special teams coordinator at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette is also on staff to assist with teams.

Discher widely is held as a particularly adept special teams coach with a bright future, particularly after spending time with the well-regarded Billy Napier and now transitioning between the hedges.

Muschamp's stepping into a full-time, on-field capacity during Cochran's unspecified absence after previously joining Smart's staff in the offseason as an analyst. Muschamp's been a head coach at a pair of SEC schools – Florida and South Carolina – plus has defensive coordinator experience at multiple other Power 5 programs.