Thanksgiving/Christmas Political Family Fuckery

Hank Kingsley

Might as well get this thread started for the inevitable shitstorm upon us.

Last week my Trumpkin in-laws asked us over for Thanksgiving (we accepted) and then they cancelled yesterday. They still have a Keep America Great banner up by their front door and continue to be glued to Fox News at all waking hours. Mother-in-law is butthurt over the election and thinks her daughters hate her (they mostly do), so she blew up turkey day plans. I'm relieved, but this will probably go back and forth. 

Going to a super spreader Trump rally (aka inlaws) for Thanksgiving.  Plan on keeping my mouth shut, except that when it is brought up, I will only speak to propose 2 wagers:

I will bet you any amount of money that Donald Trump is not the president on Jan 22.

I will bet you any amount of money that Joe Biden does not issue executive orders to close any businesses nationwide.

Those are the 2 points I have heard most from Trumpkins in my social circle (“Trump won” and “Biden will lock down the country immediately”). I’m fine to listen to it, but not without asking the dumb motherfuckers to put their money where their stupidass mouth is.

Edited by Snake Diggity

Already told my family that Thanksgiving ain't happening, and christmas isn't looking good either. Because covid reasons, not so much politics.

Wife will be passing that message on to her family soon.

edit:

Other than fox news being on the TV all the time, which is really fucking annoying, politics are generally avoided.

I do admit that I will miss my aggy BIL's moonshine. He and his dad brew up a batch every year. And their deer sausage.

Edited by High Plains Drifter

Had thanksgiving with my parents Saturday.  It was just me, delivering them some BBQ from one of their favorite places.  Masked up, carried it inside, made small talk (while masked up) for an hour or so while they ate.

Folks health isn't the best, and they have real concerns, so my siblings and extended family aren't going to go there this year.

Inlaws aren't having one either, for same reasons.  However, they are hard core MAGA folk...but surprisingly they are genuinely concerned for their health.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

You or your family have to be fucked in the head to talk politics at thanksgiving or any holidays. 

This. That is what the Internet is for.

Last year I tried like hell to get my sister and her son and grandkids into the same room, but I'm not even going to try this year. This will be 3 straight holiday seasons of her basically refusing to see her family (she refuses to follow "no politics at the table" rule). Her youngest grandchild wasn't even crawling she she last saw her; now she's zooming around on a strider bike.

Lost a husband and her family to this president.

• Hook 'Em 1

We've been told that politics is never a topic to bring up with the family and that they don't want to talk about it. They are the type that will say how horrible of a person Trump is, but 100% voted for Trump because "Biden will take our 401K". We did have a family dinner the Saturday Biden was announced the winner and all of us showed up wearing blue, but I don't think they noticed.

1700 or so miles away from Texas and our plans of devouring a Greenberg turkey are gone because it burned down. It’ll just be us two watching Netflix and likely lots of sex.

Parents, siblings and my extended family rented a house in Broken Bow so they can hang out and spread COVID  if I lived there it’s still say no  

I get not gathering with 50 people. But if everyone is following proper procedures in the rest of life, I don’t see any reason why a small group is a big deal.

My family doesn’t sit around and talk politics. I wouldn’t want to be around that no matter who was in office.

Edited by formermav43

There are lots of things that I've had the thought cross my mind of "maybe it'd be worth the small risk to do". Tailgating, taking the kid to the arcade, watching sports with a cold beer at a bar somewhere.

Driving from New Braunfels to Austin to Waco to Hubbard and back to attend four separate gatherings over Thanksgiving and Christmas is not one of those things. I'll be at home with the wife and kid, smoker fired up, good bourbon out and football on the TV. And it will be glorious.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

1700 or so miles away from Texas and our plans of devouring a Greenberg turkey are gone because it burned down. It’ll just be us two watching Netflix and likely lots of sex.

Parents, siblings and my extended family rented a house in Broken Bow so they can hang out and spread COVID  if I lived there it’s still say no  

The Greenberg thing is the fucking cherry on top of a shit year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Our family situation is super fucked. My mom lives with us now, and she’s high risk. My son is attending UT in Austin, so he’s possibly bringing home the rona. My wife works for a school district, so her exposure is minimal compared to actual school house people, but someone on the floor above her tested positive last week. I work with my brother 5 days a week doing low voltage stuff. Riding in the same vehicle, whatever one gets the other surely will too. His wife is a teacher, 3rd grade. Exposure risk is pretty high because KISD gives zero fucks about the teachers. Parents don’t have to tell the school when they have had a positive test in the house, don’t have to keep their kids home. My daughter is a teacher, also KISD. She has had two kids in her class test positive this year, and she’s dating a soldier. Exposure risk super high. We haven’t seen her since the school year started beyond a quick drop by for a to-go plate of food. 

My wife’s parents are high risk, my SIL’s mom that lives in town is medium risk. My wife’s sister and their family live in Leander and usually attend. They have already said they aren’t coming.

I think limiting our thanksgiving to my family and my brother’s makes sense. Even though my SIL’s exposure risk is elevated, we are exposed due to my brother and I working together anyway. We thought about doing something outside with heaters and fire pits, but my wife basically said there’s no fucking way she’s going to be outside in the cold.  I think we are going to do to-go plates for all the family in the immediate area and catch the rona from my son anyway. 

Not that I care about Thanksgiving, but my Trump loving family hasn't said a word about the Election.  Moving 1,000 miles away was great. 

I do have to go back to see my new nephew, but I'm not traveling under the day after Thanksgiving so I can avoid a stupid gathering - because I know they will.  Even with the new baby. 

We're heading to Colorado for a little fall hiking.  

Everyone in my family is more or less aligned politically.  Frankly, to me it's more annoying when they focus on the anti-Trump stuff, just because I already know it all and it's been beaten to death. But, yeah, Covid means that I plan on doing short, outside stops with my family.  Saw my sis this weekend.  I will try to get in others this week as the weather is decent. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

COVID is blowing up everywhere and Texas should be a hot spot by Thanksgiving. Given that reporting is probably a week or two behind people catching COVID, I wouldn't go near a family thanksgiving next week.

It's a great excuse if you don't want to be near MAGA folks this year.

Texas isn't already a "hot spot"? Aren't we the worst in the US? El Paso is in deep, deep shit and Amarillo has rolled in mobile morgues. Dallas/Tarrant keep setting daily records of number oof cases, I think.

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

Texas isn't already a "hot spot"? Aren't we the worst in the US? El Paso is in deep, deep shit and Amarillo has rolled in mobile morgues. Dallas/Tarrant keep setting daily records of number oof cases, I think.

Texas is big enough that different areas are experiencing it differently. I imagine more areas of Texas will be worse next week. But I don't have a problem if you want to say the state is a hot spot now.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, tantric superman said:

WTF?  Pandemic, pendejos.

i had a "surly invades real life" moment the other day because of you...thinking about how stir crazy i have been getting and resisting succumbing to the desire to take a trip next week since i haven't gone anywhere this year...thinking about how much everyone in the world probably felt similarly besides the assholes who have been resuming life as normal and people who have no desire to go outside their house...and i thought about how your wife is scared of the wind blowing on her outside or whatever.  i figure she must be thriving right now.

38 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Staying home with the wife and dog. Wife and I are politically synced. Dog is MAGA but he doesn't talk. Should be pretty smooth. 

If that motherfucker pops off though, bam- rolled up newspaper to the snout.  Come to think of it, we may be getting together with my MAGA BIL and his wife (I'm trying to derail).  I may have to bring a rolled up newspaper for him.

My mom will be coming over. We canceled our trip to in-laws in Dallas as MIL has pulmonary hypertension so it is just not worth the risk.

We will do a small Thanksgiving with my immediate family and my mom. My mom has been totally shut in so she feels comfortable coming over.

I am picking up a ham from Salt & Time here in Austin, so am looking forward to throwing that down on Thanksgiving day and then in sandwiches for the next week.

51 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Staying home with the wife and dog. Wife and I are politically synced. Dog is MAGA but he doesn't talk. Should be pretty smooth. 

This is my house except I have another dog, a female who is super dem and way smarter than him. She generally lets him get away with his dumb crap until she gets sick of it or he crosses a line and she has to assert her dominance. 

Pretty sure I'm just staying in San Antonio for the holidays and not visiting family at all unless its a quick hello on the way to the ranch for a weekend.  I mainly feel bad for my parents (divorced).  The holidays are really special for my mom because its some of the few times of year where she gets to cook for the whole family, and I'm sure its going to suck not being able to.  My pops is going to celebrate the second holidays since his mother passed away which I'm sure will be rough even more now without the rest of the family there to make it "seem right."

Politics aren't a big deal with my family because if you bring that MAGA shit around us you better come with facts to back it up unless you don't mind being roasted by all and MAGA don't deal with facts soooo...

Flaming liberal sister and her husband moved across the country about a decade ago. Thankfully she does not travel back often and won't be here for the holidays. Best for eveyrone really.

Usually politics does not come up at holidays but I'm sure it will this year since it has infested nearly every talking point or conversation starter in 2020.  I might just stay outside weather permitting and push the kids on the swing for hours at a time. Maybe have some Welch's sparkling grape juice; I don't know. I don't know if I'll have enough time. 

2 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

I will bet you any amount of money that Joe Biden does not issue executive orders to close any businesses nationwide.

You should press this bet.  Executive orders are only binding for Federal officials/employees, no one else (one of the great myths about Executive Orders).  A President cannot issue any "new" orders not in the Constitution by Executive orders.  Most of what he can do is regulate entrance/exit from the country (some could argue that a Tax Free biz at the airport is effectively "closed" but of course that's now what it means.  It's arguable what can be done with say the War Powers Act, but unless we're under direct weaponized attack by another country, probably nothing much at all.

Only State authority (Guv, etc.) can close businesses in an emergency.

So I'd really hit on that one... it's already been shown that Biden can't "order a federal mask mandate" except for Fed employees - that's already been a news item.  Hopefully they don't know about this.

Make it a good amount, like 100,000 Ameros.

Edited by phdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

Had to cancel plans with my parents for Thanksgiving out of an abundance of cation.  Mom not too happy, which is why I am keeping my successful deer hunting trip over the weekend on qt.  Its killing me.  I'm going to have to make up some cock and bull story about how I came by the meat when I eventually show up bearing gifts. 

26 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

turkey themed masturbating

Not sure I want to have dinner with any number of people if folks can't tell the difference between basting and 'bating.

Although, I'm guessing this would be a house with no dressing but lots of hope for stuffing.

2 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

- Outdoors
- Masks
- Hand washing/sanitizing
- Social distancing

It is what it is. I've got family worried they are going to get me sick. I have to see my family.

Choice is yours, but it's not a sound argument. Have a virtual holiday get together instead if you're at higher risk. 

Holidays get me, I don't care what religion/culture/whatever background the holidays originate from, because at the end of the day they're all manmade and just another damn day. No holiday is worth risking your life over.

• Hook 'Em 1