Thanksgiving/Christmas Political Family Fuckery

Hank Kingsley

44 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

I think a lot of college kids coming home are going to cause a bump in cases. A bigger bump than we are already having, I mean.

It's going to be a shitshow through January barring another shutdown.  I think we're just going to have to take this one because I don't see a statewide shutdown happening again.

1 minute ago, kevwun said:

It's going to be a shitshow through January barring another shutdown.  I think we're just going to have to take this one because I don't see a statewide shutdown happening again.

Dan Patrick is okay with sacrificing the olds (hopefully himself included) for the sake of the economy.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Choice is yours, but it's not a sound argument. Have a virtual holiday get together instead if you're at higher risk. 

Holidays get me, I don't care what religion/culture/whatever background the holidays originate from, because at the end of the day they're all manmade and just another damn day. No holiday is worth risking your life over.

In a stunning development, it turns out people value different things.

• Hook 'Em 2

53 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

I think a lot of college kids coming home are going to cause a bump in cases. A bigger bump than we are already having, I mean.

My nephew has had it; his college quarantined his ass to a dorm they set aside just for covid cases; he was locked in for 2 weeks, meals were brought to him, and a nurse checked in a couple of times a day.  

While he has already had it, and in theory is probably clean enough to come back around and not spread it, I, my brother and my sister have all told him to just stay away.

Sidenote:  He's 21, used to work out daily (cross fit stuff).  He's mostly recovered from Covid, but can't walk up a flight of stairs now without losing his breath, plus his taste buds are all jacked up.  Anything salty burns his mouth.

That map above? Our oldest is in California, which at the moment is doing better considering the celebratory events around the Lakers/Dodgers wins. For the first time ever, we will be missing her at the holiday, but it's going to be the safest decision for all right now. She loves to cook so she is having a small holiday meal with her beau, who is also staying in California to keep his family in the midwest safe. She's already called to get pointers on some of the family recipes. We will miss her terribly, but maybe by Christmas we can have her home to Texas.

Politics won't be an issue for us. Not something that ever gets talked about over the holidays, especially since we normally (but won't this year) have people from all over the world to share in our meal. Usually, we talk about food!

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Parliament said:

My family is silently judging me for living in a State (North Dakota) with a high infection rate. As if i control it. As if all of our deaths materially affect them in any way.

People were judging folks living in NYC back in the spring for having the audacity to live and work in a city. You know, where there are jobs.

Seems people make all sorts of judgements about other people.

Hang in there.

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Correct. Life versus pursuit of happiness, the latter which requires life for it to even be possible.

I was obviously being snarky, but on a serious note-it’s easy for you to say it’s not a “sound argument” when holidays are something you don’t value at all. He obviously values them highly. We already have different inputs.

Then when we’re talking about “risking your life” there’s a lot of variables. What precautions are in place? How careful are the people who will be attending in their lives right now? How many will be there? Is he in the at-risk group?

There’s a vast chasm between half a dozen healthy, responsible family members who always wear masks and social distance outside of this and a super spreader hellscape of 100 extended family members, friends, and neighbors coming from who knows where and playing spit-in-the-face of the 400 lb geriatric diabetic.

You can’t evaluate the argument without accounting for all of that.

• Hook 'Em 1

There's a certain privilege in being able to just "not talk politics" during a family holiday gathering.  I'm in a biracial marriage and just avoiding the political talk isn't really an option when the leader of one side is racist and supports and agrees with people who think my wife is less human or less worthy because she isn't white.  Prior to the election, I had a long talk with my mom about Trump's racism and support for white supremacy.  To keep it short, it didn't go well, she still voted for him, and we will not be spending any holidays with my family for the foreseeable future. 

Edited by Longhornfan1024
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, formermav43 said:

I was obviously being snarky, but on a serious note-it’s easy for you to say it’s not a “sound argument” when holidays are something you don’t value at all. He obviously values them highly. We already have different inputs.

Then when we’re talking about “risking your life” there’s a lot of variables. What precautions are in place? How careful are the people who will be attending in their lives right now? How many will be there? Is he in the at-risk group?

There’s a vast chasm between half a dozen healthy, responsible family members who always wear masks and social distance outside of this and a super spreader hellscape of 100 extended family members, friends, and neighbors coming from who knows where and playing spit-in-the-face of the 400 lb geriatric diabetic.

You can’t evaluate the argument without accounting for all of that.

This is all true. But I don't know how one eats Thanksgiving dinner while simultaneously wearing a mask and it's been proven that the six feet social distancing rule is bunk (as virus particles can travel beyond six feet when expelled from a carrier). I did assume (possibly incorrectly) from his post that he's at higher than baseline risk which is why his family was concerned about visiting him. 

2 minutes ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

There's a certain privilege in being able to just "not talk politics" during a family holiday gathering.  I'm in a biracial marriage and just avoiding the political talk isn't really an option when the leader of one side is racist supports and agrees with people who think my wife is less human or less worthy because she isn't white.  Prior to the election, I had a long talk with my mom about Trump's racism and support for white supremacy.  To keep it short, it didn't go well, she still voted for him, and we will not be spending any holidays with my family for the foreseeable future. 

Gonna disagree.  It's not privilege, it just means you don't have any raging assholes in your family.  That is not your situation as you've unfortunately learned that your mom is an asshole.

3 minutes ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

There's a certain privilege in being able to just "not talk politics" during a family holiday gathering.  I'm in a biracial marriage and just avoiding the political talk isn't really an option when the leader of one side is racist supports and agrees with people who think my wife is less human or less worthy because she isn't white.  Prior to the election, I had a long talk with my mom about Trump's racism and support for white supremacy.  To keep it short, it didn't go well, she still voted for him, and we will not be spending any holidays with my family for the foreseeable future. 

Good on you for putting your mother in her place. I would have done the exact same if I were you. Out of curiosity, did your mother approve when you first told her that you were going to marry your now-wife?

• Hook 'Em 1

I will kind oF morbidly miss my cousin’s thanksgiving dinner table because her rants on illegal immigration and the wall, and her worship of Trump amused me and my wife.  Years ago, I attempted to remind her that despitE both our Germanic paternal surnames, our mothers were from Mexico and learned Spanish long before they learned English.  That was the last I ever mentioned politics in her home.

We are going to drive out to Dripping Springs and have a socially distant drink with them in their front yard and then go home and eat.  Despite their daughter having had Covid, their other daughter exposed to it as a personal trainer, and their 93YO father living with them, they have zero respect for the virus or mitigation so we aren’t going inside.  

I didn’t make it through 11 months of this shit to get it from her absolutely delicious jalapeño stuffing.  

Thanksgiving is still up in the air.  My sister’s in-laws have  3 current COVID cases in their family.  One is on a vent and one is apparently a teenage super spreader. We’ve told her if they are coming we are not.  Most likely getting a to-go pack from Cowboy Chicken and chilling at home.

I have told both sets of family that we've already had to cancel a family visit to see the hubby's family this year due to COVID and it'd be a shame to have to cancel our Christmas visit as well, so they need to quarantine for 2 weeks before whatever day we show up as does anyone that would be there.  None of my family is willing to do that, even though they are all officially retired, so looks like we won't be attending this year.

I have told them that we're happy to celebrate Christmas with them after we've finished the vaccine regimen, and hopefully that will be in time for the QVC Christmas in July programming so we'll at least get to have some holiday spirit on the teevee when we are there.  I have not told them that if we had real national/state leadership, this never would've gotten as out of control and therefore we could've had Christmas this year if they demanded competency of their leaders rather than just team affiliation.  I'm saving that one for the next time they start bitching about us not showing up for Christmas.

5 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

Going to a super spreader Trump rally (aka inlaws) for Thanksgiving.  Plan on keeping my mouth shut, except that when it is brought up, I will only speak to propose 2 wagers:

I will bet you any amount of money that Donald Trump is not the president on Jan 22.

I will bet you any amount of money that Joe Biden does not issue executive orders to close any businesses nationwide.

Those are the 2 points I have heard most from Trumpkins in my social circle (“Trump won” and “Biden will lock down the country immediately”). I’m fine to listen to it, but not without asking the dumb motherfuckers to put their money where their stupidass mouth is.

Totally agree with your first point.  Biden will be the lawfully elected POTUS, come January.

I hope you're right about Point 2.  Would "shelter-in-place" count towards severely hampering businesses around tourism and dining/ booze?  To be fair, that action wouldn't be uniquely on Biden, as it has already happened under Lord Cheeto, but a lot of businesses will not survive a 2nd go-around and people are more aware of the impact..

Had family get-together this past weekend and the biggest topic was New Mexico issuing shelter-in-place effective today.  The New Mexico Governor was not real popular in the tourism dependent town we were in.  Didn't have any big Trump/ Biden debates with our family.  Everyone just wants it to be settled and move on, with regard to the election.  Nobody there was a hardcore Trumper like some of y'all describe in the thread.

Edited by slorch

I'm going camping to big bend with my son until Wed. Then camping in my mom's yard and doing a socially distance meal in my brothers big ass work shop Thurs.
A few weeks ago I pushed a no politics allowed policy with my family. Not getting to dunk on my mentally short bus riding aggie brother is well worth not getting constant reminders said brother is kind of a selfish racist asshole. We can talk fishing and pretend for my mom.

• 2 weeks later...

giphy.gif
I don't, because they don't known any better. Had a 2 hour discussion with my leftist sister who is a poli sci professor last night. We avoided the most divisive topics (abortion and boneless chicken wings) and agree on 90% of facts of all the important 2020 political topics. Got close to being spicy, but never did. News flash, guys. There are many Conservatives who are intelligent and rational. We understand the facts and simply disagree with you on the conclusions. God bless Free Will.

I don't, because they don't known any better. Had a 2 hour discussion with my leftist sister who is a poli sci professor last night. We avoided the most divisive topics (abortion and boneless chicken wings) and agree on 90% of facts of all the important 2020 political topics. Got close to being spicy, but never did. News flash, guys. There are many Conservatives who are intelligent and rational. We understand the facts and simply disagree with you on the conclusions. God bless Free Will.

None of that persiflage excuses a North Dakota residency.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Willfully Horn said:

Aryanastasis.

Not even close. My kids have as about as much ethnic mix as you can come up with in a Texas blender. They are also raised better than to stick their dick in the mashed potatoes. No doing of my own to be honest. Mostly their mother’s influence. 

5 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Not even close. My kids have as about as much ethnic mix as you can come up with in a Texas blender. They are also raised better than to stick their dick in the mashed potatoes. No doing of my own to be honest. Mostly their mother’s influence. 

Play on words. You were joking. I tried my hand at it, too.

We don’t argue politics in my family, either.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

Play on words. You were joking. I tried my hand at it, too.

We don’t argue politics in my family, either.

Just not worth it. We have a short window on this planet. Politics have been playing out for thousands of years. Cycling over and again. There is nothing more important than family. I can appreciate and sympathize that others have different situations they are working through. It’s hard to over look the political faults of the people around me but I am working on being a better me. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Received some texts from a family member yesterday that drove home the amount of damage Trump did to this country. I realize there are probably hundreds of thousands of families who are torn apart right now because of the last 4-5 years and then this election. I did not shame the person or say anything negative back. I just told them that they were not saying anything that was uplifting in nature and that they were capable of using their cognitive skills in a much more positive way than that.

I told them if they would provide me with what it is they are reading to come to the conclusions they have that I will at least take the time to read what they deem to be factual. It was kinda sad to be honest to get those texts, but just gotta stay upbeat about things and not try to push folks further down a dangerous path.

• Hook 'Em 2

29 minutes ago, Parliament said:

There are many Conservatives who are intelligent and rational. We understand the facts and simply disagree with you on the conclusions. God bless Free Will.

I CONTINUE to be all ears, and will bring it up again- how does a guy who takes out newspaper ads to call for the execution of innocent Americans even get CONSIDERED much less nominated by the GOP for president, much less earns unwavering devotion? 

That's an Alice-In-Wonderland stand-alone issue that should IMMEDIATELY disqualify any candidate from any party, not based on any strategic political calculation, foreign policy, domestic policy, but basic

SUPER GODDAMN BASIC

human decency.

And I can probably list another half dozen- by themselves, no extra info needed- INDISPUTABLE STAND ALONE FACTS- that should have disqualified him from any decent human being's list of presidential candidates, but the multiple NY publication ads should be more than enough, along with his subsequent refusal to retract or admit his mistaken premise- all known before the 2016 election- that still stand as you're reading this.

All ears. Sock it to me.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

My dipshit cousin surprised us today by driving up from Houston because he has no family or friends of his own. When the Cowboys game came on he made a big deal about Washington dropping Redskins and said they should change it to the “Cotton Pickers” to teach the PC libs a lesson. So that was fun to explain to my kids on the way home. 

1 hour ago, Parliament said:
On 11/17/2020 at 12:06 AM, Gatorubet said:

giphy.gif

yeah but the conclusions you're referring to are about the fundamental values. at least the dumb republicans are simply stupid.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

My dipshit cousin surprised us today by driving up from Houston because he has no family or friends of his own. When the Cowboys game came on he made a big deal about Washington dropping Redskins and said they should change it to the “Cotton Pickers” to teach the PC libs a lesson. So that was fun to explain to my kids on the way home. 

Not to long ago I was listening to this video below. It was from a show run by ABC news in 1999 and featured recordings from the 1940s with former slaves. The man was going around at that time and talking to former slaves, and thank the lord he did and that those recordings were preserved. One bit stood out to me when he was talking with a man from North Carolina or Virginia I think. Fellow was saying, 'it didn't matter if you were tired, or hungry, or it was night. They told you to pick cotton all night, that's what you did. Told you to hang (tobacco) that's what you did."

I've heard from a white man before, 'well, my dad made me pick cotton when we were growing up. We turned out alright' was one of the most surreal experiences I ever had after moving to Texas and it's not like I wasn't raised in the south.

Here's the video if anyone would care to watch.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
grammar
  • Hook 'Em 1