Official Thread for Abortion Demagoguery

bad_teammate

37 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

It's amazing how thoroughly a private industry has convinced people in this country that they make their own health care decisions. 

It’s amazing the delusion required to think that turning management of the system over to the government is going to change that. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I fucking knew it.

Norma McCorvey did SO MUCH damage to millions of women with her conversion propaganda.

The law should not be subject to the whims and emotions and vagaries of a single individual.

I think I hate her more now. If her change of heart was genuine then so be it. But the fact that it was a paid for lie makes me see red.

• Like 2

On 3/3/2019 at 6:34 PM, scottsins said:

Currently, without socialized medicine, insurance companies make those decisions, not the patient.

It's okay if grandma dies as long as UHC keeps paying the dividend! They even say it out loud now. 

I recorded it Friday night and just got done watching it. I gotta say, I'm really surprised at the reaction of this documentary. I can understand why the pro-choice side is now mocking pro lifers because the woman in the court case they want to overturn was able to be paid to flip her story. I get that. But damn this is a blow to the pro choice movement. Think about how many people were swayed because of this story she was paid to tell. When you think of abortion who doesn't think of Roe v Wade? Roe was seemingly pro life for over 20 years. That's a lot of influence and it was all bought and paid for. Norma is certainly no hero to anyone in this debate but I thought it was a great film.

Uh, you need to rewatch.

The “pro-life” crowd has spent 25 years crowing that Jane Roe regretted being the plaintiff in Roe v. Wade.

(Not getting into the fact that Jane Roe never actually had an abortion to regret.)

Now it turns out their poster girl was pissed the Pro-Choice groups wouldn’t let her speak at a Washington march. And Operation Rescue would.

Her “conversion” was not motivated by a sincere change of heart - it was motivated by greed and a need for attention.

Even the priest who used to lead Operation Rescue admits that they used her and paid her and fed her talking points.

The laws of this country are not based on the whims and changeable desires of one person. It doesn’t matter what Norma McCorvey believed.

And thank goodness it doesn’t - because it turns out all Norma McCorvey believed in was her right to be an attention seeking money grabber.

Only one group was dishonest enough to pay a damaged woman to be their mascot.

• 1 year later...

They don't even allow for it in cases of incest?  It's hard enough for a grown woman who knows her body really well to realize she's pregnant in week 4 or 5.  Now there are gonna be young girls that are expected to know after they've been molested or raped?  

I mean, the Lieutenant Governor Texas, Dan Patrick, serially molested his niece and impregnated her.  She had an abortion after 8 weeks because she finally realized she had missed another period.  Now that's illegal all of a sudden?  Wow, Dan.  

33 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

The politics in this state absolutely suck.

The majority party is cruel, backwards, stupid and regressive.

The minority party is too afraid to use their political power (denying quorum to block bad bills or properly organizing to win seats or putting up someone more qualified than a traffic cone in a governor's race) because they're worried about the "optics" and somehow losing the power they haven't had for 2 decades. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 3

32 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

The politics in this state absolutely suck.

30 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Christian Republicans are the worst people in the nation and it's not even close.  They're sadistic idiots. 

They are doing a good job of pissing off a lot of folks.  It's a good way to motivate people to get out and vote next year.

A lot of folks seemed to have been caught off guard by this.  

49 minutes ago, Lobo said:

They don't even allow for it in cases of incest?  It's hard enough for a grown woman who knows her body really well to realize she's pregnant in week 4 or 5.  Now there are gonna be young girls that are expected to know after they've been molested or raped?  

I mean, the Lieutenant Governor Texas, Dan Patrick, serially molested his niece and impregnated her.  She had an abortion after 8 weeks because she finally realized she had missed another period.  Now that's illegal all of a sudden?  Wow, Dan.  

I wouldn’t ever bet against this, but is there any evidence to support this? I’ve never heard this story.

They're ruining the lives of young girls this morning.  What's wrong with some unfounded, wild accusations?  Worked for Big Horse Paste.  

I was just imaging what if, god forbid, somebody raped or molested my daughter(s)?  It would take them a month to realize something was different inside their body, you know...besides the goddamn rape.  Then it would take them 2 weeks to build up the courage to tell mom about it.  Then it would take those two another two weeks to figure out how to tell me (and I'm very approachable for my girls).  So boom, there's 8 weeks gone.  Too late to get an elective D&C to remove this tragedy.  And you know, 14 year old victims of rape always make great moms, their kids are always going to be healthy and do great things.  

Fuck the Bench on this.  And fuck Dan Patrick for running this from behind the scenes.  He's a pre-cum baby that should have died on the table. 

Edited by Lobo

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

They are doing a good job of pissing off a lot of folks.  It's a good way to motivate people to get out and vote next year.

A lot of folks seemed to have been caught off guard by this.  

Can't let up. I'll try to do donate as much as I can, write letters, etc

1 minute ago, Lobo said:

They're ruining the lives of young girls this morning.  What's wrong with some unfounded, wild accusations?  Worked for Big Horse Paste.  

I was just imaging what if, god forbid, somebody raped or molested my daughter(s)?  It would take them a month to realize something was different inside their body, you know...besides the goddamn rape.  Then it would take them 2 weeks to build up the courage to tell mom about it.  Then it would take those two another two weeks to figure out how to tell me (and I'm very approachable for my girls).  So boom, there's 8 weeks gone.  Too late to get an elective D&C to remove this tragedy.  And you know, 14 year old victims of rape always make great moms, their kids are always going to be healthy and do great things.  

Fuck the Bench on this.  And fuck Dan Patrick for running this from behind the scenes.  He's a pre-cum baby that should have died on the table. 

That timing is what pretty much went through my head this morning as I thought about it.   I'd like to think my daughters would let me know sooner rather than later if someone terrible happened but....

4 minutes ago, Lagunamadre said:

What's most aggravating is many of these Republican lawmaker's daughters would have an abortion spa trip to Arizona if they got knocked up at a high school party. Meanwhile, the poorest and most destitute will be crushed by this. 

Rules for thee but not for me

• Hook 'Em 1

I really just don’t get it. By the numbers, this will affect black and Hispanic people more than whites. So, not only will there be an increased need for welfare and such (yeah, I know, they only give a shit about the unborn), but it will also contribute to an increase in the minority population. Assuming traditional voting patterns remain similar, Republicans are causing more democratic voters to be born. So I guess we got that going for us.

* I’m speaking in general terms. I know there are white people using social services, and I know all minorities aren’t democrats.

In the end, I don’t think this law stands for long. But if it does, the only solution I can think of is providing mass quantities of pregnancy tests for free. Give every woman a handful of tests each month so they can check themselves every week. Them shits ain’t cheap, and a lot of folks couldn’t afford to buy that many on their own. Even offering free testing at a clinic wouldn’t be good enough. Not only is it a big time commitment, but a lot of folks would have transportation issues. This is just so wrong.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

I really just don’t get it. By the numbers, this will affect black and Hispanic people more than whites. So, not only will there be an increased need for welfare and such (yeah, I know, they only give a shit about the unborn), but it will also contribute to an increase in the minority population. Assuming traditional voting patterns remain similar, Republicans are causing more democratic voters to be born. So I guess we got that going for us.

* I’m speaking in general terms. I know there are white people using social services, and I know all minorities aren’t democrats.

In the end, I don’t think this law stands for long. But if it does, the only solution I can think of is providing mass quantities of pregnancy tests for free. Give every woman a handful of tests each month so they can check themselves every week. Them shits ain’t cheap, and a lot of folks couldn’t afford to buy that many on their own. Even offering free testing at a clinic wouldn’t be good enough. Not only is it a big time commitment, but a lot of folks would have transportation issues. This is just so wrong.

The cruelty is the point.  They know their rich, connected daughters and wives will be able to get abortions.  It's about punishing and controlling poor women and minority women.  And who cares about how they would theoretically vote when you can just ram through more voter suppression laws.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

One thing we're almost certain to see in the next few years is a challenge to abortion restrictions from Jewish plaintiffs arguing that abortion restrictions like this violate their religious liberty. And the Court has greatly expanded the scope of what constitutes religious liberty in the past few years, so I think such an argument should succeed based on the Court's recent religious liberty rulings.

Who wants to bet that such a challenge will actually succeed, though?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

That timing is what pretty much went through my head this morning as I thought about it.   I'd like to think my daughters would let me know sooner rather than later if someone terrible happened but....

My wife's OBGYN wouldn't even see her until 8 weeks because typically finding a heartbeat before then is unreliable.  The thought that abortion is now illegal before we could even book our FIRST appointment with a doctor is just so fucking batshit.

9 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

My wife's OBGYN wouldn't even see her until 8 weeks because typically finding a heartbeat before then is unreliable.  The thought that abortion is now illegal before we could even book our FIRST appointment with a doctor is just so fucking batshit.

Welcome to today's GOP.

They have so much other shit going on - power grids, education, etc. but they have to toss some red meat to the few tens of thousand who actually care and show up to vote in the primaries.

Mrs. Macanudo was incredibly irregular with her period.   There were multiple times where she went 2-3 months without one and wasn't pregnant.   Before Macanudoette #1 was born in 2004, she had at least 2 miscarriages that we knew about and she only figured out she was pregnant because she miscarried due to the "normalness" of her being irregular.   

And we were trying to have kids.  

• Hook 'Em 1

yeah, think about just the logistics of this, not even the moral dilemma.  You miss one period.  Assuming you're that in tune with your body at that age (last I checked 'even in case of incest' applies to young girls).  So you're at 4+ weeks.  You call to get an appointment to verify and voila'...your OBGYN (or your mom's because you're only 13) can't squeeze you in for another 3 weeks (happens to my wife all the time and she's been going to that practice for 20 years).  You're already over your allotted time to make a decision.  

We had to get a D&C after one of our miscarriages at 14+ weeks.  Is that illegal now, too?  

I would just start handing out Plan-B kits in a public spectacle  at this point.  I can't see another way out of this for the short-term while litigation commences and victims are left with only hours to spare while making one of the hardest decisions of their life, while still reeling from a horrible and violent experience.  

22 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

I really just don’t get it. By the numbers, this will affect black and Hispanic people more than whites. 

I grew up with these people. It isn't about future votes (for the politicians it is of course) but they truly do believe they're doing what God wants them to do. The fact that they get to tell minorities and women what to do is just an added bonus. The worst part is mixing this law with abstinence only sex ed. Talk about a recipe for disaster.

This country, and especially the red states are hopelessly repressed when it comes to sex.  This is just an extension of the misogyny we are seeing rear its head to stand alongside racism.  It's driven by very unhappy older white people who are scared to death of losing control.  Not just men, but women too.  

The TDP would do well to put together a talking point around increasing sex and parenting education.  Add in relationships in general.   Never mind what the red morons say about it, start pushing for the right things.  This is a prime time to get out some strong messaging.   

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

We live in a big state run by small men with small brains and small penises. 

and the women who aren't satisfied by those men.  Go back and watch the debates on this topic, the heartbeat debates on the House floor.  Those women are the handmaidens for Abbott, Patrick and their ilk.  Just ignorance appealing to ignorance.  

• Hook 'Em 1