Joe Biden 2021

tantric superman

17 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Uh oh. From the WAPO:

The White House is leaning toward releasing information to Congress about what Donald Trump and his aides were doing during the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol despite the former president’s objections — a decision that could have significant political and legal ramifications.

Trump has said he will cite “executive privilege” to block information requests from the House select committee investigating the events of that day, banking on a legal theory that has successfully allowed presidents and their aides to avoid or delay congressional scrutiny for decades, including during the Trump administration…

…But President Biden’s White House plans to err on the side of disclosure given the gravity of the events of Jan. 6, according to two people familiar with discussions who, like others, spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe the private discussions.

In response to questions about White House deliberations over what information to release, Biden spokesman Michael J. Gwin said the president views the attack on the Capitol as “a dark stain on our country’s history” and is “deeply committed to ensuring that something like that can never happen again, and he supports a thorough investigation.”

Members of the investigative committee argue that Trump no longer enjoys the protection of executive privilege, encouraging the White House to push aside institutional concerns about sharing information with Congress and aid the panel in an investigation focused on what Democrats and a handful of Republicans have called an assault on democracy.

that last line can go fuck itself. many, many people call it exactly what it is. an insurrection. fuck mincing words

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Satchel said:

The White House is leaning toward releasing information to Congress about what Donald Trump and his aides were doing during the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol despite the former president’s objections — a decision that could have significant political and legal ramifications.

If anyone in Congress has any doubts about what the dotard and his aides were doing, they shouldn't be in office.

https://www.scribd.com/document/527108728/Updated-Memorandum-IRS-Audits-of-the-President-S-Corporations-And-Reasonable-Compensation-to-S-Corporation-Shareholder-Employees

https://nypost.com/2021/09/23/biden-could-owe-as-much-as-500k-in-irs-taxes-report/

Biden could owe as much as $500K in back taxes, government report indicates

Biden stated, "All I'm asking is you pay your fair share. Pay your fair share just like middle-class folks do."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

https://www.scribd.com/document/527108728/Updated-Memorandum-IRS-Audits-of-the-President-S-Corporations-And-Reasonable-Compensation-to-S-Corporation-Shareholder-Employees

https://nypost.com/2021/09/23/biden-could-owe-as-much-as-500k-in-irs-taxes-report/

Biden stated, "All I'm asking is you pay your fair share. Pay your fair share just like middle-class folks do."

shocked-jimcarrey.gif

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/10/02/us/politics/donald-trump-tax-schemes-fred-trump.html

42 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

"House ain’t got time for that. We need tax returns!" - ChickenSandwich

It seems at one point, you didn't give a shit about a president's tax returns and openly mocked those who were concerned. Gee, I wonder what changed.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

55 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

14 minutes ago, bolverk said:

"House ain’t got time for that. We need tax returns!" - ChickenSandwich

It seems at one point, you didn't give a shit about a president's tax returns and openly mocked those who were concerned. Gee, I wonder what changed.

Good on Joe. He, and I shouldn't have to pay taxes. 

Never fucking mind.

Edited by TheRealRonWeaver?

Pay your taxes, Joe. (See how the President’s tax returns are a necessity)?

21 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Good on Joe. He, and I shouldn't have to pay taxes. 

Wrong. Pay your taxes, too, grasshopper. Get some medical insurance, also.

Edited by Willfully Horn
Edit

5 minutes ago, bolverk said:

If you don't mind losing your First Amendments rights, you might look into one of the Gulf States. I hear that anything goes in Somalia though.

They're not given by the state. Obviously consequences can happen, but it's scary to think the state will kill you, but that's what the Second Amendment is for. 

I don't really care if people don't people pay into the state. Really is shitty that people who say that people should pay more, legislate it, and not do it themselves though. 

7 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

They're not given by the state. Obviously consequences can happen, but it's scary to think the state will kill you, but that's what the Second Amendment is for. 

I don't really care if people don't people pay into the state. Really is shitty that people who say that people should pay more, legislate it, and not do it themselves though. 

From the article:

The $3.5 trillion social spending bill that Biden hopes to ram through Congress with only Democratic votes would end the tactic used by Biden — if it passes as drafted by the House Ways and Means Committee. It also would increase IRS funding by $80 billion over 10 years to crack down on tax avoidance.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bolverk said:

From the article:

The $3.5 trillion social spending bill that Biden hopes to ram through Congress with only Democratic votes would end the tactic used by Biden — if it passes as drafted by the House Ways and Means Committee. It also would increase IRS funding by $80 billion over 10 years to crack down on tax avoidance.

Is this the one where it can look into bank accounts without a warrant?

22 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

That's not what the Second Amendment is for.

6 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Is this the one where it can look into bank accounts without a warrant?

The IRS already has significant access to your bank account. That said, show me the language in the bill that says the IRS can "look into bank accounts without a warrant." My understanding of the bill is that the total deposits and expenditures for each year will be matched against your income, which would already be a significant strain on their resources. If they're really interested in an individual account, they could very easily obtain a warrant.

updated pew poll on President Biden.  

Much like he was never going to consistently maintain 60 percent approval, 44 percent approval isn’t going to last either. I imagine this current cycle - Afghanistan, COVID resurgence, progress stalled on major legislation, etc. is going to be one of the low points of his term in terms of approval. Some of that will fade and/or is fixable, but the legislation thing probably isn’t.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:

Much like he was never going to consistently maintain 60 percent approval, 44 percent approval isn’t going to last either. I imagine this current cycle - Afghanistan, COVID resurgence, progress stalled on major legislation, etc. is going to be one of the low points of his term in terms of approval. Some of that will fade and/or is fixable, but the legislation thing probably isn’t.

Dems are unhappy with Joe Biden right now.   75% approval.  Donald Trump routinely was in the high-80s and low-90s.  

Just like Republicans who "hated" Trump, they will always go home in the end because the alternative is pretty awful (to them). 

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Dems are unhappy with Joe Biden right now.   75% approval.  Donald Trump routinely was in the high-80s and low-90s.  

Just like Republicans who "hated" Trump, they will always go home in the end because the alternative is pretty awful (to them). 

This. A lot of the disapproval is coming from people who would never consider voting for a Republican.

6 minutes ago, OneOfTheOutOfFocusGuys said:

still though, voter enthusiasm is important.  you can't hang out in the 75% for your party and expect to be reelected anymore imo.  not sufficient turnout.

If this was September 24, 2022, I would be very scared.  The Dems and Joe Biden have 13.5 months until they face voters again. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Covid getting bad again and the media hammering Biden about everything because the owners are still mad about Afghanistan are what’s driving the approval rating down.

Personally I don’t think approval rating matters as much anymore. Look at trump as his approval rating was always in the 40-43 percent range and his obvious loss was still too close for comfort and didn’t hurt the republicans down ballot all that much. 

56 minutes ago, elfenix said:

so afraid of losing their majorities if they do something that they lose their majorities through inaction. 

We're talking about a party that supports recalcitrant incumbent moderates instead of progressive challengers, so yeah. They are terrified of their own shadows.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, WinningIsHard said:

The hodge twins are rallying for a video just like this taken at DKR with UT students. I don’t know what game specifically but I saw a “come join the Fuck Joe Biden chant” tweet. 

I’ll be in the student section tomorrow. If I hear that shit I’m gonna go off on some fucking loser frat boys. What? You no longer like the USA? Well you can leave. That’s what I’ve been told for fucking 20 years 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Government shut down looming. 

Who are the hodge twins?

The hodge twins are a sign that Armageddon is very near. They are a tik tok famous twin comedy duo that makes light of racism in America and absolutely hate liberals. You can buy “white privilege cards”, “race cards”, and all sorts of goofy shit from their website. They have a pretty large following and are able to do some damage much like joe rogan. In the end I think it’s nonsense but I suppose if enough of these silly assholes spread their word it could become dangerous. 

• Rage+1 1

23 hours ago, Satchel said:

Uh oh. From the WAPO:

Trump has said he will cite “executive privilege” to block information requests from the House select committee investigating the events of that day, banking on a legal theory that has successfully allowed presidents and their aides to avoid or delay congressional scrutiny for decades, including during the Trump administration…

…But President Biden’s White House plans to err on the side of disclosure given the gravity of the events of Jan. 6, according to two people familiar with discussions who, like others, spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe the private discussions.

In response to questions about White House deliberations over what information to release, Biden spokesman Michael J. Gwin said the president views the attack on the Capitol as “a dark stain on our country’s history” and is “deeply committed to ensuring that something like that can never happen again, and he supports a thorough investigation.”

Members of the investigative committee argue that Trump no longer enjoys the protection of executive privilege, encouraging the White House to push aside institutional concerns about sharing information with Congress and aid the panel in an investigation focused on what Democrats and a handful of Republicans have called an assault on democracy.

The purpose of executive privilege is to provide some insulation of the executive deliberative process in regard to executive decision and policy-making.  In that sense, it transcends the person of the executive into the office of the executive.  Executive privilege is at it's strongest when it implicates national security and foreign policy.

Almost none of the machinations relating to the January 6 riot have anything to do with executive deliberation, decision, or policy making.  It was a fit of personal pique from a person that had two weeks left in office and very little interest in carrying out the functions of the executive.

In some instances, I might expect a subsequent President to continue to "protect" and assert executive privilege for the good of the office and of the function of the government.  This ain't it.

A study commissioned by Jim Banks, and he is feeding the Post. Read the rest of the article you fatuous shithead.
  • Hook 'Em 5

8 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

The hodge twins are a sign that Armageddon is very near. They are a tik tok famous twin comedy duo that makes light of racism in America and absolutely hate liberals. You can buy “white privilege cards”, “race cards”, and all sorts of goofy shit from their website. They have a pretty large following and are able to do some damage much like joe rogan. In the end I think it’s nonsense but I suppose if enough of these silly assholes spread their word it could become dangerous. 

I read, yesterday, about high school numb-nuts, from Missouri, circling a petition to reinstate slavery. So, yeah, that sickness is spreading.

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, WinningIsHard said:

One of my dads longtime friends got a white privilege card from his daughters on his birthday. I don’t get the joke. Announcing to the world you’re a racist? Is that the joke? Not seeing the punchline here 

42 minutes ago, Fletch said:

One of my dads longtime friends got a white privilege card from his daughters on his birthday. I don’t get the joke. Announcing to the world you’re a racist? Is that the joke? Not seeing the punchline here 

What, you have no sense of humor?  It's funny!  Laugh, you sourpuss!  It's funny!

Trump Biden GIF - Trump Biden Laugh - Discover & Share GIFs

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Haha 2

Fantastic new write-up centering around Joey B:

--

It was too soon then to nominate him to a place on Mount Rushmore; it is too soon now to consign him to the ash heap of history. What we might be seeing, instead, is a bit of a return to normalcy in American politics—the kind of normalcy in which a President’s job-approval rating goes up or down depending on how people think he is actually doing. Ronald Reagan and Bill Clinton were also considered by many to be failed Presidents early on in their tenures, and saw their parties each lose their first midterm elections as a result; both went on to be among the most popular two-term Presidents of the modern era.

The warning lights are undoubtedly flashing red for Biden right now. His Gallup approval rating is down to forty-three per cent, a drop of six points in the past month—which saw a deadly surge of covid-19 in the U.S. and the chaotic American withdrawal from Afghanistan—and a thirteen-point decline since June. The Pew Research Center, in a poll released on Thursday, showed Biden at forty-four per cent, down eleven points from July. The failed-Presidency crowd sees this as the inevitable outcome of a leader who strayed from the promise of his campaign to oust Donald Trump—to return America to competent, sane governance—and instead embraced a politically impractical vision of a progressive utopia.

Many liberals do not agree, of course. But it seems that the table stakes for the Biden Presidency—and the country—may finally have become too big this week, even for diehard Biden supporters. No wonder. Biden’s entire legislative agenda is tied up in a September snarl on Capitol Hill, as Democrats feud over how to proceed. In the meantime, the country is averaging more than two thousand deaths per day in a pandemic that Biden promised would be all but over this summer. An immigration crisis, with thousands of Haitian refugees at the southern U.S. border, has liberals furious at the Administration’s Storm Trooper-esque tactics and conservatives in full Trumpian build-the-wall mode. France is so angry at the United States, for stealing away a multibillion-dollar submarine deal with Australia, that it recalled its Ambassador, in a snit, for the first time ever. Oh, and the government may be forced to shut down after next Friday unless Congress passes a bill to stop it—a bill that Republicans vow to oppose. In October, the U.S. is set to run out of credit unless Congress raises the debt-ceiling limit, and Republicans vow to oppose that, too. The general feeling among Democrats these days: Is it time to panic yet?

More notable, however, is that many in the current group of Biden critics at least nominally supported him, voted for him, and presumably wanted him to succeed; columnists such as Lewis and Stephens are not reflexive Biden-bashers but Never Trump Republicans who spent the past few years criticizing the G.O.P. for its embrace of Trump. And one important reason that Biden’s numbers have dropped so much over all is that independents are losing faith—independents whose votes in key states very likely gave Biden the White House. No doubt some of this is simply conservatives reverting to their ideological comfort zone. That, in and of itself, is an example of the post-Trump return to regular order that Biden had promised. In the absence of a ranting demagogue in the White House, it was probably never realistic to expect conservatives to be supportive of a transformative legislative package with the biggest price tag in modern political history.

The warnings, however, are not just coming from budget hawks. Many of those who now fear Biden’s Presidency is on the line include Democrats who support his goals but fear that he will not deliver. The difficult truth is that, should Congress fail to pass Biden’s bills this fall, it would, in fact, be the kind of political blow that few new Presidents can recover from.

Consider John Podesta’s letter to congressional Democrats this week, a cri de coeur from a senior adviser to the past two Democratic Presidents. In it, he urges them to figure out—now!—a compromise that would allow final passage of some version of both the trillion-dollar bipartisan infrastructure bill, which has already passed the Senate, and the $3.5-trillion budget-reconciliation bill. He wants progressives to get real about the price tag and moderates to give up on the idea of voting for the smaller infrastructure bill without going along with the bigger spending package, which will need the votes of essentially every Democratic member in both the House and the Senate to pass. The money quote, as cited by the Times: “You are either getting both bills or neither—and the prospect of neither is unconscionable. It would signal a complete and utter failure of our democratic duty, and a reckless abdication of our responsibility. It would define our generation’s history and show that, when our time came, we failed, both for Americans now and in the years to come.”

Instead, Biden’s approach to the matter of the irreconcilable camps in his party is very similar to his approach to everything—a philosophy neatly summed up in his address to the U.N. General Assembly this week as “relentless diplomacy,” rather than “relentless war.” On Wednesday, Biden spent five hours with Democratic members of Congress, in various groupings, in search of an elusive deal, and will surely be working the phones right up until Monday’s deadline for the House vote on the infrastructure bill—and beyond. No one doubts that Biden is ready to talk this to death.

But diplomacy, like war, is a tactic, not an end in itself. The Biden Presidency, on both the foreign and domestic fronts, remains a jumble of aspirations—and retains a haze of uncertainty about how to achieve them. Much of his political problem, it seems to me, is a vast gap between his articulated goals and what is politically possible. The U.S. is no longer a lone superpower unchallenged abroad; the Democratic Party is barely a majority party in the U.S. Congress. It’s a fifty-fifty Senate, and a fifty-fifty world. In a purely practical sense, the challenge for Biden is that he hasn’t got to the hard part yet. He can’t negotiate with China or the Republicans until he negotiates with his allies. France and the House progressives, ironically, are the obstacles of the week, not Xi Jinping and Mitch McConnell.

@bad_teammate, will you comment on this last line in bold above?

Edited by DonkeyCigars
  • Fuck You 1

The Democrats are going to lose their majorities, so get ready.

I think we’re probably looking at a 2018 style split where they net a senate seat or two but lose the house.
so afraid of losing their majorities if they do something that they lose their majorities through inaction. 

This is basically the party platform

6 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I think we’re probably looking at a 2018 style split where they net a senate seat or two but lose the house.

This is a likely outcome where the Senate is 51-49 or 52-48 but they lose the House.  But between 2010 and 2018, it won't be some drastic 40 seat change, because there's only less than 10 crossover districts after the last 2 cycles.  Probably 225-210 or something like that. 

A lot will depend on how NY, IL and CA do redistricting - if they wipe out 10 GOP seats combined (which is possible), I think it'll be razor thin for either side to control.  Since redistricting is now favored to only net the GOP 1-3 seats versus closer to 10, as predicted pre-census numbers. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

This is a likely outcome where the Senate is 51-49 or 52-48 but they lose the House.  But between 2010 and 2018, it won't be some drastic 40 seat change, because there's only less than 10 crossover districts after the last 2 cycles.  Probably 225-210 or something like that. 

A lot will depend on how NY, IL and CA do redistricting - if they wipe out 10 GOP seats combined (which is possible), I think it'll be razor thin for either side to control.  Since redistricting is now favored to only net the GOP 1-3 seats versus closer to 10, as predicted pre-census numbers. 

Over/under on the Impeachment of Joe Biden: October 2023.

4 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

About to post Chris Hansen gif, figures it out, and post Hangover math gif

I felt bad about myself at first. After pulling out the old slide rule and taking off my socks so I could use my toes too, I no longer felt bad about myself. 

4 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

and the government may be forced to shut down after next Friday unless Congress passes a bill to stop it—a bill that Republicans vow to oppose. In October, the U.S. is set to run out of credit unless Congress raises the debt-ceiling limit, and Republicans vow to oppose that, too

This has happened multiple times recently and they are just making a kerfuffle, but will ultimately back down. And if they don’t, hey, it’s been a fun ride. Kinda. 

• Hook 'Em 1