2021 DL Byron Murphy

texifornia

Welcome to Flipadelphia, y'all 

https://247sports.com/player/byron-murphy-ii-46079959/

Eric Nahlin on Murphy: Good ball get-off, quick and easy mover in all directions, some bounce to him, uses low-man advantage at a position it’s most important. I mentioned to him he moved like a big running back and he responded that was his position until he grew out of it. I’ve liked his tape and been in contact with him since his sophomore year but I figured lack of length would always be an anchor around his neck. He’s grown. I think he has the potential to be better than Tank Jackson because of his lateral agility. Murphy has a high floor. He doesn’t have Albert Regis’ athletic upside but he’s a much better defensive tackle at this point.

Gerry Hamilton on Murphy: Go ahead and name your best college football defensive tackles at 6-foot-1 or less from Texas in the last couple of decades, save the G.O.A.T Casey Hampton, and Murphy could be next in line. The former linebacker and running back is a powerfully built defensive tackle with excellent agility, flexibility and strength to go with 10-inch hands. A terrific early evaluation by Baylor, which can be said numerous times in the 2021 class.

https://insidetexas.com/desoto-dl-byron-murphy-commits-to-texas/

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 2

COMMITTED !!!!

Texas flips 247Sports four-star defensive lineman from Baylor

The Longhorns completed an in-state flip Wednesday when Desoto defensive tackle Byron Murphy II switched his commitment from Baylor to Texas. The three-star prospect chose the Longhorns over offers from Colorado, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Mississippi State, Utah and TCU. 

Murphy is another piece to a defensive line that’s coming along nicely for Texas. Mark Hagen and Oscar Giles add the powerhouse interior prospect to a group that includes four-star Port Arthur Memorial defensive end Jordon Thomas, New Caney edge rusher Derrick Harris Jr. and five-star Denton Ryan athlete Ja'Tavion Sanders who could play defensive end at the next level.

Murphy is one of the top true defensive tackle prospects in the state and is also close with teammate and Texas target Shemar Turner. The Longhorns have been courting Murphy behind the scenes for a few months with involvement from Hagen, Oscar Giles, Chris Ash and Jay Valai. 

A multi-year starter, Murphy was named to the AP 6A all-state first team as a junior. He put up strong testing numbers during The Opening’s Dallas regional camp in 2019. As a junior, Murphy contributed 98 tackles, 12 tackles for loss, 5.5 sacks, 4 forced fumbles, 3 fumble recoveries and 1 touchdown.

Murphy is the first Desoto prospect to commit to the Longhorns since Xavier Newman joined the 2017 class. Newman later de-committed and eventually signed with Baylor. The Desoto staff includes several former Texas players as assistant coaches.

At 6-foot-1, 290 pounds, Murphy is ranked as the No. 24 defensive tackle in the nation and No. 56 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite.  Murphy is the 19th commit in the 2021 class.

https://247sports.com/Player/Byron-Murphy-II-46079959/

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Byron-Murphy-commits-Texas-Longhorns-Football-2021-Recruiting-flips-from-Baylor-Bears-154976805/ 

Edited by LTtxfan

7 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

BTW, we need to be going all out to raid Baylor’s OL commits, too.  They may not have Brockermeyer and Jackson level guys, but they have two commits on the OL that are frankly way more promising prospects than the guys Hand has been reduced to chasing.

So pathetic.  Hand better pretend to like Jesus. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
9 minutes ago, ousux said:

So there's a chance he goes before Sweat? Say it ain't so! @SydneyCarton called me an idiot for suggesting that may be the case a couple months ago, and I'm not sure he's allowed to be wrong?emoji23.png

I don't even remember this exchange at all, or ever holding that opinion strongly. But as my wife will happily attest, I'm fucking wrong all the time, most of the time.

I will be somewhat surprised, but clearly he's trending higher. I wonder how much of his age has to do anything with it, becuase I thought he was short and had short arms which is what I thought would hold him back in a league that loves measurables. 

I don't even remember this exchange at all, or ever holding that opinion strongly. But as my wife will happily attest, I'm fucking wrong all the time, most of the time.

I will be somewhat surprised, but clearly he's trending higher. I wonder how much of his age has to do anything with it, becuase I thought he was short and had short arms which is what I thought would hold him back in a league that loves measurables. 
My reasoning for him getting picked before Sweat was partly due to the way he was playing at the time and possible concerns NFL GM's may have with Sweat keeping his weight at a manageable level. We'll see, but I still think Murph is off the board before Sweat...and maybe the first Longhorn.

Just now, ousux said:
30 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

My reasoning for him getting picked before Sweat was partly due to the way he was playing at the time and possible concerns NFL GM's may have with Sweat keeping his weight at a manageable level. We'll see, but I still think Murph is off the board before Sweat...and maybe the first Longhorn.

I'd love to be wrong and send 4 UT players in the 1st round of the draft. 

On 1/22/2024 at 3:26 PM, kevwun said:

If teams can squint and convince themselves they see Aaron Donald, it's gonna get him drafted really early.

I've always thought short, but long-armed DTs are a market inefficiency in the NFL, but Murphy is both short and has short arms. He'd truly be an anomaly if he became as dominant as Aaron Donald. 

2 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I've always thought short, but long-armed DTs are a market inefficiency in the NFL, but Murphy is both short and has short arms. He'd truly be an anomaly if he became as dominant as Aaron Donald. 

Aaron Donald's dominance is already an anomaly.