How much of your music listening has been influenced by Shaggy/Surly?

Shoxthemonkey

Imma asked what Surly means to me so I'll tell you. This place has expanded my music horizons more than any other influence I can think of. I always thought I was well-rounded and somewhat eclectic in my tastes but I have been exposed to a lot of music here that I would have never found on my own. Special shout to @hullabelew(Sam Baker, Gurf Morlix) @Al_4_ISU(Driveby Truckers, Turnpike Troubadors, Son Volt) @jimmyjazz( Austin area musicians in general). Others too numerous to mention. The "What are you listening to right now" thread is one of the first I hit every day.  Alt Country was a genre that I never gave the time of day to. I have lots of it on my Spotify now.

Thanks and keep up the good work.

Oh yeah, another shout to @Cajun, @atomheartbevo, @stc and probably others I'm forgetting for being PF brothers.

• Hook 'Em 2

I've "discovered" a TON of new music via surly, especially genres I don't listen to all that much, like some of the stuff guys like @tbone_ and @Patricio Swayze will link.

You just never know who will be a fan of what.  I was engineering a record by a local well-known dude, produced by a reasonably well-known local dude, and we decided to retire to the producer's house after a session to consume some very late night Guinness.  This guy is an Americana/roots Texas demi-god of sorts, super into the kind of artist that Austin cranks out by the truckload, and we get to his house and he starts spinning . . . Teenage Fanclub, Fiona Apple, Mott The Hoople, Sinatra, Sam & Dave, The Clash.  His knowledge of music was encyclopedic.  To hear him PLAY you'd think he was all Tele hot licks and blues riffs.  Nope.  

surly is a virtual version of that.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

How about this.  I would never give Hayes Carll a chance when he first started because I thought his name sounded too much like a made-up, bro-country, name.  Same for Turnpike Troubadours and John Moreland but that is primarily due to my hate and contempt for anything from Oklahoma.  I hate that fucking place.  I can thank Flaco (can't remember his new name on here) and @Al_4_ISU for those two.    I only gave John Fullbright a chance early on because Sam Baker told me a funny story about him one night. 

Also @Paul Wesley and @jimmyjazz for their general music knowledge (and Paul's excellent CD).  And EVERY asshole on the Guitar Pron thread and the lovely fucking drunks on the alcoholic thread who keep me from killing myself.  

• Like 2

Not much because I usually rabbit hole down Spotify on my own and did the same at Waterloo before that, but what I can say is that I’ve found kinship with hulla and jimmyjazz and plenty others over the years with shared love and appreciation for some the great singer songwriters and Texas country musicians.

• Hook 'Em 1

I don't have time to listen to all of the shit that want to or need to, let alone whatever people post here.

I'm sure there have been a few things here or there on this site that have gotten my attention but discovering music is way down the list of what I come here for.

I don't have time to listen to all of the shit that want to or need to, let alone whatever people post here.
I'm sure there have been a few things here or there on this site that have gotten my attention but discovering music is way down the list of what I come here for.
Thanks for taking the time out of your super busy schedule to let us know!

14 minutes ago, Uncle Boobs said:

Thanks for taking the time out of your super busy schedule to let us know!

Oh, sorry - I was just posting a direct answer to the question in the post. I can totally see now how that was an unnecessary, posturing interjection that completely sidetracked the thread.