Confrontation

Bevo

Where do you stand? I'm kind of non-confrontational. I'll stand up for myself and never had a problem fighting if necessary. But do you guys dread getting into arguments?

I needed to get some work done on a compressor. I spoke with the receptionist and told her that I needed service including belts, cleaning and lubrication. I gave her the serial number of the unit so she could determine the parts needed. The repair guy who was nice came over on my day off and said that she didn't book enough time and that generally he just comes to see what is needed for the repair. He came back again the next week on my day off and performed general service. At the end of the service, he said there was a leak and that he needed to order a part. I need to have him come out again to do the repair because the unit won't work correctly until the air leak is fixed. So they have charged me about $900 and the problem with the overheating hasn't been fixed. They charged for 1 hour of service on the first visit, 2 hours of service on the second visit and to finish the work may take another 2 hours. They also charge mileage for coming out. On the first visit he should have caught the leak and then on the second visit it should have been repaired and may have taken an additional hour. So basically I should owe the company for 2 visits, parts, and probably 3 or 4 hours of work. The first visit was totally useless and wasted my time on my day off. I hate dealing with this kind of shit but won't stand for being screwed over either.

Do y'all just suck it up and have the fight? Pay for it and never use them again? Personally, I just want people to be fair. However, a lot of workers kind of like confrontation I think. Opinions?

The key is to establish the position from the beginning. 

When that first trip happened you should have told him and/or the home office that you weren't paying for that nonsense visit and explain why. Or when he first said he didn't have time, yada yada, thank him and send him on his way right away. 

Once you've been stepped on once or twice, and nothing has been said, it's too late once you say "Now wait just a dang minute!"

• Hook 'Em 1

I am a coach so I have had my fair share of confrontation with parents/officials.

In my personal life, it really depends. Driving brings out the worst in me. You screw up I will let you know. Honk at me?! fuck you!

My wife is a New York Jew. Monetary disputes get deferred to her. I have warned many businesses/employees/services that have screwed up it is much easier to resolve with me than my wife. 

I have used this reference before:

Pretty complex topic.

I'd say at a high level, I'm very chill and sympathetic of humans being humans and making errors, so incidents that spawn from that, I'm forgiving of.

What grinds me is willful carelessness and selfishness.  People who park shitty.  People who dont do their duties (whatever they may be).  Stuff like that will tickle the vindictive part of my brain.

Recently my car cam caught a dude dooring me when I was parked.  It *barely* made any visible damage (had to look HARD to find a sand-grain sized chip), but I pursued him through insurance because.... fuck him.

Had some incidents of being overcharged for stuff, but really would have to determine the how personal and premeditated the scenario was, or if its the general nature of a particular brand or business (say , car mechanic...)

We bought our house 4 years ago and have had several contractors come out and do various jobs for us, some we've had to call back to correct something not to our liking and they've all been cool with it.  We're usually easy going, quite possibly even gullible to the cost/work involved and take their word for it.  

Had an issue with Best Buy over a missing repaired laptop that took several months, calls, letters to HQ to resolve.  After being told nothing leaves the store w/out proper paperwork, the laptop mysteriously appeared in Flower Mound, TX, got an email asking how we liked the repair?  By this time, we'd bought Jr. another laptop and took the repaired to get refund, it was going to take them to call the police to get me to leave without the refund.  Have only stepped into a BB once since then, will never buy from them again.  Footnote:  Always register your electronics/appliances/etc... 

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

Where do you stand? I'm kind of non-confrontational. I'll stand up for myself and never had a problem fighting if necessary. But do you guys dread getting into arguments?

I needed to get some work done on a compressor. I spoke with the receptionist and told her that I needed service including belts, cleaning and lubrication. I gave her the serial number of the unit so she could determine the parts needed. The repair guy who was nice came over on my day off and said that she didn't book enough time and that generally he just comes to see what is needed for the repair. He came back again the next week on my day off and performed general service. At the end of the service, he said there was a leak and that he needed to order a part. I need to have him come out again to do the repair because the unit won't work correctly until the air leak is fixed. So they have charged me about $900 and the problem with the overheating hasn't been fixed. They charged for 1 hour of service on the first visit, 2 hours of service on the second visit and to finish the work may take another 2 hours. They also charge mileage for coming out. On the first visit he should have caught the leak and then on the second visit it should have been repaired and may have taken an additional hour. So basically I should owe the company for 2 visits, parts, and probably 3 or 4 hours of work. The first visit was totally useless and wasted my time on my day off. I hate dealing with this kind of shit but won't stand for being screwed over either.

Do y'all just suck it up and have the fight? Pay for it and never use them again? Personally, I just want people to be fair. However, a lot of workers kind of like confrontation I think. Opinions?

I'm a big fan of confrontation.  In fact, just the other day, I caught someone trespassing in my front yard and kicked his ass up and down the street.

I bet that 5 year old is gonna think twice before tossing that nerf ball again near my house.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

My old man was the worst about that kind of shit. He would usually try and explain his point a couple of times, but as soon as he got the idea that he was gonna get fucked over, he would start ramping up the confrontation. Whether he was on the phone or at the customer service desk at Sears, Walmart, etc.... the volume and F-bombs would start flying . He would basically be an asshole until he got what he thought was fair, but he got what he wanted about 95% of the time. The other 5% he was generally not welcome back at that establishment.

It was cringe inducing to a young kid along for the show and as many times as I saw it, I vowed to not be that guy. But I also learned that being a dick can be effective as businesses generally don't want to lose customers. So on rare occasions when the fuckery is extreme, I will slip into my old man impression and it usually works. Difference between my dad and I is I think a part of him enjoyed that routine , where I abhor it.

Last time I was a  major dick was with an auto shop I generally have a high impression of, but I got into it with them on the phone and told them I was only paying about 50% of what the final total was, I was coming over for my car, and they could get fucked. It was about a 5 min walk from my office, and on the way over I started thinking about things from their perspective and realized it was sort of a grey area (electrical shit on a 10 yr old car that had been in a few times already).  I was gonna offer to split the difference, but when I showed up he had already adjusted the bill and refused to add anymore back to it. Still use them 3 years later, same guy works there and we laugh about our phone conversation now. But they kept me as a customer. 

Edited by Blotto
  • Hook 'Em 2

Got into a few fights as a teen (and obviously won every single one), some of them were just mutual combat 30 seconds anything goes type stuff. Grew out of that and I’m pretty non-confrontational nowadays. I used to have anger issues so I know it’s important for me to take things easy. Really I can’t remember anytime recently that I cared enough about something or felt disrespected enough to start a confrontation over. Not sure if that’s good or bad.

Being confrontational usually just ends up getting the other side to shut down the communication. I find the "Aw, shucks" good ol' boy routine will usually get you somewhere, particularly in Texas, as long as you don't come across as an easy mark. Make them like you and want to help you out. It's like sales, too much pressure gets you nowhere, but make them feel like they should be helping you out, and it's amazing what you can get from them.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

I’ve had a gun put on my forehead twice, have been hit across the upper part of my back with a pool cue, have had orbital/septum juncture fractured getting sucker punched, and have yet to lose a fist fight.   

im pretty damn easy going, but I can fight and other people knew it, and so did I.  I only fought when I had to, to defend myself from getting jumped, to defend a friend who couldn’t defend themselves, or defend a woman in a bad spot.  Easy going I am, but I’m mean as a fucking rattlesnake when I’m pushed over the edge.   

that being said, I worked in the service industry from high school through and after college, so I’m patient with dumbfuckery.   I know how to work them though, and I use that knowledge to make sure we’re on the same page from the jump.   

nothing pisses me off more than when I go get my oil changed and the dude says I need a new interior air filter and I say “bullshit bro, I just bought and replaced it yesterday before I came here because I’m not paying you $45 for my $14 filter plus labor”.   So I lay out terms from the jump, it tends to help avoid shitty work and shitty excess markups.   

I don't go in Keren territory, but there are times when I literally ask them WTF they are doing.

If you can't make the decision, then let me speak with your supervisor/ yes I realize it is likely the adjacent douchebag in the next cubicle.

Edited by slorch

I generally am pretty nice during the mistake or issue when it’s on going but I let them know when I find the situation unacceptable in blunt simple words with tone.  That normally does the trick.  However occasionally some dumbass will try to argue with me and tell me I’m wrong and that doesn’t go over well with me.  The last time was AT&T telling me that I shouldn’t expect speeds greater than 40mbps when I pay for gigafiber.  Had to get a little animated a few times and have multiple technicians come by add review my setup and update equipment etc to get it fixed but it ultimately pays off as long as you stick to your convictions.

• Hook 'Em 1

I wonder how many times they pissed on your fiber.

7 hours ago, Underdog said:

We bought our house 4 years ago and have had several contractors come out and do various jobs for us, some we've had to call back to correct something not to our liking and they've all been cool with it.  We're usually easy going, quite possibly even gullible to the cost/work involved and take their word for it.  

Had an issue with Best Buy over a missing repaired laptop that took several months, calls, letters to HQ to resolve.  After being told nothing leaves the store w/out proper paperwork, the laptop mysteriously appeared in Flower Mound, TX, got an email asking how we liked the repair?  By this time, we'd bought Jr. another laptop and took the repaired to get refund, it was going to take them to call the police to get me to leave without the refund.  Have only stepped into a BB once since then, will never buy from them again.  Footnote:  Always register your electronics/appliances/etc... 

Next time just let your husband fix the damn computer.

1 hour ago, futureman said:

I’d eliminate you before breakfast. 

so weak.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Bevo said:

Your wife should handle this going forward.

edit- seriously? This isn’t a fight it’s a discussion that most adults can handle without getting upset. Or fighting. It also sounds like more was wrong with your compressor than you thought. So if the original call was just for maintenance and then they found a leak, shitty deal.

Edited by justhookit