RIP G’raj Mahal

Murfdogg21

1 hour ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Last day is November 30. They and their neighbors down to Craft Pride/Holly Street are getting turned into another high rise. G’raj owners opened a new restaurant on South 1st or South Congress, but it’s at a higher price point than G’raj Mahal. 

the menu for the new place (Mumtaz Market) looks intriguing to me.  the location (S. 1st) is certainly an upgrade from rainey.  we go to el naranjo way more often since they moved from rainey to  south lamar and suspect we would do the same with this place if it is good.

1 hour ago, Jack Straw said:

we go to el naranjo way more often since they moved from rainey to  south lamar and suspect we would do the same with this place if it is good.

Well, that's good news.  We haven't tried it yet because we despise Rainey St.  Thanks for the tip.

• 2 weeks later...

Mumtaz Market is in that building on S. 1st that keeps cycling high concept, high price-point restaurants. First it was El Chile, then Alcomar, then La Reyna, then N’Esperado. I think the people that own the building are charging insane rent.

Edited by irishtexan

La Mexicana still delivers after all these decades on great breakfast tacos and a delicious bakery.  It's the only Mexican bakery in Austin I can take my Mexican mother to.  

To stay on thread topic---I was wrong about the FBI agent offing himself.  It wasn't at G'Raj Mahal, it was the at the bar next door but they had to tape off part of the G'Raj Mahal for the crime scene.  Apparently they had finished some undercover sting and were out with the local agents hoisting a few.  He finished a drink, excused himself from the group, went to the corner that shares the alley with G'Raj Mahal and got down to business.  The death actually slowed down the sale of those properties for tower re-development.