COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

1 hour ago, Surly Bevo said:

What the fuck are you all talking about.  I'm just pointing out in a bit of a sarcastic way that a state that is roughly 30% larger in population than Texas has been allocated 75% more doses than Texas and as of yet they don't appear to be administering it as well as Texas.  Yea that doesn't account for the entire nationwide gap but also doesn't make a lot of sense that you would allocate more to a place that is using it LESS efficiently.

Clearly whoever is responsible for determining CA allocation isn’t accounting for the fact that everyone those shots were intended for are now in Texas...or will be by the time 2nd dose rolls around.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

As of today, Texas leads the nation in vaccine administration and is 2nd in percentage of the population vaccinated, which is very impressive for such a large state in area and population. Our state deserves praise for the way the vaccine has been rolled out.

https://ourworldindata.org/us-states-vaccinations

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Liquor and Poker said:

100% NOT TRUE at Methodist.  Shot time's on the paper and the door guard compared the paper to his ridiculously huge (think 85" TV) clock and wouldn't open the door unless there were 15 mins between the two.

Friend of mine took her dad to Methodist on greenbrier on Saturday. Said her dad waited the 15 minutes in the car in the parking garage.

16 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

As of today, Texas leads the nation in vaccine administration and is 2nd in percentage of the population vaccinated, which is very impressive for such a large state in area and population. Our state deserves praise for the way the vaccine has been rolled out.

https://ourworldindata.org/us-states-vaccinations

This data looks like it is leaving off some smaller states.  I believe West Virginia actually leads the nation in doses per 100 at almost 9.  Of course Israel is over there at 25 doses per 100.  

Day 1 of the hub system in my area is going great.  The number to call has been busy the entire morning.  Maybe having people from 6 counties calling one number with no system in place to handle the call volume was a really dumb fucking idea?

Edited by kevwun

On 1/15/2021 at 8:15 AM, shakahorn said:

Got my 2nd Pfizer dose yesterday around 2pm.  Last night, had the same pain at the injection site as I did with the first dose. By this morning, pain has largely subsided and no other effects as of yet.

Had minor side effects starting about 20 hours after the 2nd shot.  Headache, bodyache, fatigue.  All minor.  Took a couple of advil.  Cleared up completely by the next day.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

This data looks like it is leaving off some smaller states.  I believe West Virginia actually leads the nation in doses per 100 at almost 9.  Of course Israel is over there at 25 doses per 100.  

I don't think that takes anything away from Texas' success. For us to be anywhere near the top given the incredible size, both geographically and population-wise, is strong. Credit to state and local leadership when and where it's due. Good job, Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Interesting where we're seeing high uptake of the vaccines. I have no theories on why certain areas are so high. Nice to see SA and Austin doing pretty well since I'm right between the two. 
Counties over 200k people:
image.png.230daba68087144e3bb3599e97775cb8.png

At least 20k people:
image.png.5e8a571a0f03c09bf42eb32a7ce52663.png

Lubbock and Amarillo have both been allocated a disproportionately large amount of doses relative to their share of the population. Don’t know enough to say why. Maybe it’s more olds, worse outbreaks, knowing more from outside the city/county will come to town, governor’s office playing politics, whatever. Probably some of all of that. But they’ve gotten a lot. That obviously helps.

Also haven’t looked closely enough at other rural areas to say whether that’s an overarching trend or unique to these two areas.

46 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

I don't think that takes anything away from Texas' success. For us to be anywhere near the top given the incredible size, both geographically and population-wise, is strong. Credit to state and local leadership when and where it's due. Good job, Texas.

Didn't say it did...in fact earlier I was the one being snarky about how in terms of the big states it was dumb CA has received 70% more vax than Texas given apparent success in administering and the fact they are not THAT much more populated thatn us.

Still data is data....

34 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Lubbock and Amarillo have both been allocated a disproportionately large amount of doses relative to their share of the population. Don’t know enough to say why. Maybe it’s more olds, worse outbreaks, knowing more from outside the city/county will come to town, governor’s office playing politics, whatever. Probably some of all of that. But they’ve gotten a lot. That obviously helps.

Also haven’t looked closely enough at other rural areas to say whether that’s an overarching trend or unique to these two areas.

Worse outbreaks and not enough ICU or regular hospital beds, including healthcare personnel to man them.  If you are practicing medicine at any level, you really have to want to live in Lubbock or Amarillo, and not enough people do.

Edited by SizzleChest

36 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

There's a bright spot emerging in the Panhandle, let's see if the trends continue.

Amarillo is hosting walk-up vax clinics for people in 1A and 1B, no appointments required, just walk up and wait in line.  You might be in line for a while... Covid Act Now is showing "better" colors for the Panhandle counties and showing reproductive rates below 1.

Edited by Texas Jeff

2 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

Worse outbreaks and not enough ICU or regular hospital beds, including healthcare personnel to man them.  If you are practicing medicine at any level, you really have to want to live in Lubbock or Amarillo, and not enough people do.

Yea I would like to hope this is logic there, which makes sense.  Otherwise it doesn't make sense for say a Dallas County to have only been allocated a little more than 3x the number of doses of Lubbock County when they got 9x the population.  So maybe this, plus percentage olds/LTC, blah blah blah.

Or maybe it's just shoot from the hip.  But I hope not.  

1 minute ago, Samson's Wig said:

Lubbock is the vaccine hub for around 22 counties.  That data above only lists the number of people over sixteen in Lubbock County.  I suspect that's where the discrepancy lies.  Amarillo is likely similar.

Fair point, but I would guess those 22 counties plus Lubbock combined may bring the pop of Dallas County down to only 8, maybe 7 times the area discussed (you gotta lotta 5-10K populations in a lot of counties out there, with some even less).  Again I don't really have an issue with it if there is some logic like mentioned before being applied.  

1 hour ago, Surly Bevo said:

Israel is tiny, educated, and damn near everyone was or is in military (active or reserve).  They can contact efficiently.  I have been there twice.  And was shocked how small the country is.

I'm sure that something other than population is going into it the determination.  Lubbock county alone is around the 8 times mark of Dallas county (based on old data - will be interesting to see the 2020 census numbers as both will likely have grown significantly). I agree that the other 21 counties probably don't bring that number down lower than a factor of 6-7.  In any event, they seem to be doing a better job of getting shots into arms than other cities ( I know they had their website and vaccination sight up and running very smoothly a couple of weeks before Travis county started fucking up our rollout through APH.)  I'm all for sending the vaccinations to the places that have their shit together first.  It's the most efficient way to do it.  Of course, we seem to be doing the opposite and sending as much as possible to California. 

Does anyone know if the AZ and J&J vaccines reduce the intensity of COVID, should you get infected after vaccination?  I think their test data is showing lower efficacy than the Moderna and Pfizer vaccine.  I think I have read that if you get COVID after having the Modera/Pfizer vax, you are likely to have a mild case.

I might take the AZ/J&J stuff if offered ... but it would be nice to know that if I did get COVID then I would be at lower risk for a severe case.

Edited by Texas Jeff

10 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

Exactly.  And they're doing what Austin does.  Fucking it up.  You have health insurance?  Fuck you, no vaccine you privileged twat.

I mean.....it seems like this is the only way to read it.

Rule 1: APH, and ONLY APH, will be getting all future doses of the vaccine in the area.  Private providers have been told to get fucked, they aren't getting anymore.

Rule 2: APH is only going to provide the vaccine to people who are a) over 65 and b) don't have health insurance.

So.....if you are either under 65, or you are any age and have health insurance, you can get fucked, forever and ever.

What.  A fucking.  Clusterfuck.

• Hook 'Em 2

35 minutes ago, Godzillatron said:

APH is only site for Travis County. According to Greg C they will not vaccinate anyone under 65 that has insurance.
9587a9b64bf255bd6b65a457412a0189.jpg

Holy shit what a bunch of morons. They are the designated hub getting all of the supply and just told everyone but over 65 and poor to F off. 

Looks like APH is making some exceptions to rules that apply to the rest of us.

https://www.kxan.com/texas-coronavirus-vaccine/legislature-convenes-austin-public-health-authority-offers-covid-19-vaccine-to-lawmakers/

AUSTIN (KXAN) — Texas Lawmakers say they were approached by Austin’s Interim Public Health Authority, who offered them the COVID-19 vaccine-regardless of whether they are currently eligible.

In an attempt to slow the spread of COVID-19, Dr. Mark Escott approached lawmakers during an informal meeting ahead of the Texas Legislature convening. Several of these lawmakers are not part of the phase 1A or 1B vaccinate distribution list set by the Department of State Health Services.

Lawmakers who accepted receiving the vaccine say it’s crucial because they’re expected to participate in large gatherings, such as the Texas Legislature.

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Rule 1: APH, and ONLY APH, will be getting all future doses of the vaccine in the area.  Private providers have been told to get fucked, they aren't getting anymore.

Rule 2: APH is only going to provide the vaccine to people who are a) over 65 and b) don't have health insurance.

So.....if you are either under 65, or you are any age and have health insurance, you can get fucked, forever and ever.

Seriously.  WTF.  Insurance isn't even covering or involved with vaccination right?   Is this just Austin's/Casar's mechanism to try to prioritize the poor?  I mean if you are working class but responsible enough to have health insurance you are at the back of the line?  Unreal.

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Looks like APH is making some exceptions to rules that apply to the rest of us.

https://www.kxan.com/texas-coronavirus-vaccine/legislature-convenes-austin-public-health-authority-offers-covid-19-vaccine-to-lawmakers/

AUSTIN (KXAN) — Texas Lawmakers say they were approached by Austin’s Interim Public Health Authority, who offered them the COVID-19 vaccine-regardless of whether they are currently eligible.

In an attempt to slow the spread of COVID-19, Dr. Mark Escott approached lawmakers during an informal meeting ahead of the Texas Legislature convening. Several of these lawmakers are not part of the phase 1A or 1B vaccinate distribution list set by the Department of State Health Services.

Lawmakers who accepted receiving the vaccine say it’s crucial because they’re expected to participate in large gatherings, such as the Texas Legislature.

Exhibit 11 billion in "rules for me, and not for thee."

Also....if ONE FUCKING MOTHERFUCKER down there who spent the last year calling COVID a "hoax" gets the vaccine, they should be subject to public censure and ridicule by the Lege.

Yeah, pipe dream - we've already seen a crapload of politicians just like that getting the vaccine.  Sigh.  There's no fucking justice in this timeline.

2 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Seriously.  WTF.  Insurance isn't even covering or involved with vaccination right?   Is this just Austin's/Casar's mechanism to try to prioritize the poor?  I mean if you are working class but responsible enough to have health insurance you are at the back of the line?  Unreal.

I truly don't even begin to understand what is going on here.

I WILL say that I have a friend who is integral in the vaccine program at UT/Dell medical school.  When I bring up the APH mechanism, I just get a head shake.  UT/Dell has a well-oiled machine going right now (but they are only allowed to administer to people within the system, including UT faculty and students who qualify, by the way).  APH, on the other hand, has a system that is a single rock and a broken stick.  It's goddamned maddening.

The insurance thing is odd given that this is supposed to be free regardless. Don’t mind the over 65 thing. They should be telling pretty much everyone below that age cutoff to wait.

Don’t really mind the lege either. Theoretically they’re important, should be protected, vaccination can prevent covid outbreaks stemming from the function of the government, and can set an example for their idiot hoaxer constituents.

Of course that’s theoretical. I see why people are upset given some of the people that make up the Texas legislature.

1 hour ago, Texas Jeff said:

Does anyone know if the AZ and J&J vaccines reduce the intensity of COVID, should you get infected after vaccination?  I think their test data is showing lower efficacy than the Moderna and Pfizer vaccine.  I think I have read that if you get COVID after having the Modera/Pfizer vax, you are likely to have a mild case.

I might take the AZ/J&J stuff if offered ... but it would be nice to know that if I did get COVID then I would be at lower risk for a severe case.

I've read somewhere that the AZ vaccine is showing very little to no people having to be admitted to hospital after having taken the vaccine and been diagnosed with it later on.  Makes it very treatable at home.  Not sure on the JNJ vaccine.

I believe both Pfizer and Moderna have the same data.  However, the efficacy of the AZ vaccine is like 90% with the correct initial dosage (half dose to start, full dose for the second vaccine).

• Hook 'Em 1

Cliff notes from this weeks EVAP meeting. Texas is doubling down on the Hub model and expanding the number of hubs and funneling more doses through those sites. That model is expected to continue until J&J’s vaccine gets emergency approval. 

For week 7 they will prioritize hub sites, hospitals, local health departments, dialysis centers, and counties that haven’t received previous allocations. 

There was discussion but no decisions made regarding defining 1C and when 1C will be allowed to be vaccinated. 

Basically you’re best chance is going to be through hubs until J&J comes online. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Vote with your opinion

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

The insurance thing is odd given that this is supposed to be free regardless.

I'm guessing it's a combination of taking care of underserved communities and making sure it gets to that those who would suffer financial hardship if they were hospitalized with Covid.

But it seems short sighted in a way. If the goal is to slow down the spread, you want to get people who have the most contact with others. That would be employed people, and a large portion of those folks are getting excluded with the "people who have insurance" barrier. Yeah, I know a lot of front line workers don't have insurance. But HEB and Costco employees do. Teachers do. A lot of childcare workers do. A lot of critical Craft Workers and Tradesmen do. Those people should be at the front of the line ahead of the unemployed.

Edited by BradInATX

Hoping someone out there in Texarkana/Bowie County area can help me out.  My dad is 81 with practically every known medical condition known to man but can't seem to find a shot.  He says that he calls 4 or 5 places a day and they all tell him they don't have anything and that they can't schedule anything for him until they have supply.  I'm not sure he has the ability to use the internet to hunt something down.  Anyone that can give me a lead or ideas on how to hook him up I'd appreciate it.

4 minutes ago, Bevo in VA said:

Hoping someone out there in Texarkana/Bowie County area can help me out.  My dad is 81 with practically every known medical condition known to man but can't seem to find a shot.  He says that he calls 4 or 5 places a day and they all tell him they don't have anything and that they can't schedule anything for him until they have supply.  I'm not sure he has the ability to use the internet to hunt something down.  Anyone that can give me a lead or ideas on how to hook him up I'd appreciate it.

Cancel any insurance he has and move to Austin 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, Bevo in VA said:

Not sure how accurate the DSHS website, but it appears there may be a few places in Texarkana with doses available.

https://tdem.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=3700a84845c5470cb0dc3ddace5c376b

Wadley Regional Med Center

DPH - Bowie County

Pam Specialty Hospital of Texarkana

Collom and Carney Clinic

Christus Trinity Clinic

Good luck.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Not sure how accurate the DSHS website, but it appears there may be a few places in Texarkana with doses available.

https://tdem.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=3700a84845c5470cb0dc3ddace5c376b

Wadley Regional Med Center

DPH - Bowie County

Pam Specialty Hospital of Texarkana

Collom and Carney Clinic

Christus Trinity Clinic

Good luck.

Appreciate it!

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Skipper said:

this has been obvious, for anyone paying attention, since the secret Delco location was uncovered where APH gave certain health care insurance companies info and they started calling people for a list.  APH wants to control who gets it first.  they got caught and have been crawfishing ever since.  

having insurance should have nothing to do with it but your political leaders need that to continue to sift out the people they don't want to get the vax yet.

The 1B under 65 with conditions and underinsured/uninsured is a way to continue to get poor/low income the vax first.  those conditions are so broad tons of people under 65 can qualify.

It should be over 65 sign up get it, under 65 sorry you wait, regardless of insurance status, color of skin, economic status, etc.  but Austin gonna Austin.

• Hook 'Em 2