COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

1. Get on the horn with HEB yesterday, ask them to coordinate distribution, scheduling and admin across the state. If you need another secondary state wide grocery/rx partner to cover the regions they do not, identify them and let's fucking go, but everything runs through HEB's scheduling platform. 

39 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

My fam was in the grocery business and did the same thing.  Man I wish we kept some of the real estate we bought, built, and leased back.  We had some prime spots in the inner loop and Tanglewood area.

There was Rice and Lewis and Coker.

Another idea I saw somewhere I liked was that once supply increases a bit more, start allocating to large ER depts and/or hospitals and have them administer to anyone 16+ NOT admitted for COVID that is willing to take it.  Boom.  Another distribution arm that doesn't require additional vax locations or resources.  Maybe a better idea for the 1 dose JNJ vaccine once it comes online.  Also, at the large vax sites, I would be interested to see if they are tracking no shows or day of cancellations and see if they could fill that void.  For example, If they average 50 no shows/cancellations per day with excess doses either being saved for next day (or god forbid thrown away), allow anyone 16+ to sign up for 50 "wait list" spots at end of day to make sure that days supply is used.   

Need to do like we did for polio. Just show up in schools, line those teens up and vaccinate them. There’s no fucking opting out or parental consent.

Require proof of vaccination for adults within 12 months or there’s a 25% COVID tax on your income April 15th.

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

My fam was in the grocery business and did the same thing.  Man I wish we kept some of the real estate we bought, built, and leased back.  We had some prime spots in the inner loop and Tanglewood area.

I knew the Lewis and Coker people. Barry Lewis had some sons - maybe Keith and Kevin (It's been awhile). I thought he kept the real estate though

11 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I knew the Lewis and Coker people. Barry Lewis had some sons - maybe Keith and Kevin (It's been awhile). I thought he kept the real estate though

I know Rice kept some.  And Weingartens kept most.  Wish we had kept our shopping centers on Sage and San Felipe, Westheimer and Shepherd, Woodway and Voss, Weslayan and Bisssonet, Holcombe and Buffalo Speedway, and Westheimer and Gessner.

My grandad bought three old Handy Andy stores on Woodway and Voss, Memorial and Dairy Ashford and Westheimer and Gessner in the late 70s for basically pennies.  We, uh, should have held on to that real estate and the inner loop properties above.  Talk about mailbox money.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

From the article:

"He says that will mean someone in their 30s with an underlying condition in the priority ZIP code will move ahead of someone in their 80s not in a targeted ZIP code."

That is an amazingly bad idea, in my opinion.  If the politics gets worse, Abbott needs to change course and just do it by age, statewide.  Drop the age as lines get shorter.

I get trying to make sure that old folks in all parts of town get the vaccine, especially ahead of healthier folks elsewhere, but this is too much steering.

25 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

giving to people 30 years old with the "conditions" vs over 65 is absolutely moronic and wrong.

18 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

This is an overreaction to what happened last week (where essentially the vast majority of those that jumped on the first available slots were from wealthy zip codes in Dallas).  I'll say it's a little surprising Koch is leading the charge on this since it inherently hurts his (whiter more affluent) district.  But that man hates him some Judge Clay and will fight him on literally anything.   I think this only applies to the Fair Park location, which was chosen to be more convenient to South Dallas.  So if that is the case it seems ok on a very limited (2-3 week) basis.  With the CAVEAT that if it's a Texas hub site it's supposed to be open to anyone in Texas as I understand it.  So Abbot may have something to say about it.   What we really need is more damn supply everywhere.  And considering I haven't seen anything indicating supply is about to ramp up significantly - I guess we are still weeks out for that.

1 minute ago, Skipper said:

This is an overreaction to what happened last week (where essentially the vast majority of those that jumped on the first available slots were from wealthy zip codes in Dallas).  I'll say it's a little surprising Koch is leading the charge on this since it inherently hurts his (whiter more affluent) district.  But that man hates him some Judge Clay and will fight him on literally anything.   I think this only applies to the Fair Park location, which was chosen to be more convenient to South Dallas.  So if that is the case it seems ok on a very limited (2-3 week) basis.  With the CAVEAT that if it's a Texas hub site it's supposed to be open to anyone in Texas as I understand it.  So Abbot may have something to say about it.   What we really need is more damn supply everywhere.  And considering I haven't seen anything indicating supply is about to ramp up significantly - I guess we are still weeks out for that.

what we need is to stop the stupid 1B below 65 "conditions" allowance until the supply increases.  if these "conditions" were so bad that they exacerbated death, there would be tons of 30 year olds dying.

there is clear data on who needs this vax and its 65 and older. 

• Hook 'Em 1

What's more valuable a 30 yr old father of two or an older person who has lived a long life. Grandparents are also less mobile and not out and about as much. I guess you could make a case to prioritize people who have to deal with the public... Really no good answer to the disaster

18 minutes ago, midtown said:

What's more valuable a 30 yr old father of two or an older person who has lived a long life. Grandparents are also less mobile and not out and about as much. I guess you could make a case to prioritize people who have to deal with the public... Really no good answer to the disaster

the 30 year old is very unlikely to die.  a 65 year old has potentially 15-20 more years to live. Isn't this all about deaths?

No.

On 1/16/2021 at 4:13 PM, Texas Jeff said:

Texas Week 6 is out:

https://www.dshs.state.tx.us/news/updates/COVIDVaccineAllocation-Week6.pdf

Travis Co is all APH all the time, with a smidge more for UT.  Wilco getting 6000 doses at Family Emergency Rooms Cedar Park, about half of Travis's allocation.

So under this new hub model, will the "Additional Providers" still be getting doses going forward? I got my first shot today courtesy of my employer who is an 'Additional Provider'. Wondering if I will be getting my followup shot in a month.

Edited by Hmbre97

9 hours ago, dcar00 said:

the 30 year old is very unlikely to die.  a 65 year old has potentially 15-20 more years to live. Isn't this all about deaths?

First off all is sucks that we are having to even ration and that peoples parents and grandparents can't find a vaccine.   From what I understand a 30 yr old 1b is just as likely to die; or at least that's what I've been told because someone higher up who decided they should be 1b.  I'm not saying its the right choice but I can certainly see why you'd allow that person to get in with the olds.   I can see some animosity towards the 1bs that are in that category due to personal choices but the rest of those 1bs didn't choose to have a condition that could cause them to die from covid.  IMO leaving young kids esp if that person is the families provider is definitely someone that should get to the front.

Edited by midtown

10 hours ago, dcar00 said:

On the other hand, the 30 year old probably gets around much more that the 65 year old, so a case could be made that vaccinating the 30 year old first might save more lives. My point is that focus should be applying as many vaccines as possible  as fast as possible, with a preference for olds first, but don’t slow the process down o even worse, waste a dose, because of “rules”.

33 minutes ago, XYZ said:

On the other hand, the 30 year old probably gets around much more that the 65 year old, so a case could be made that vaccinating the 30 year old first might save more lives. My point is that focus should be applying as many vaccines as possible  as fast as possible, with a preference for olds first, but don’t slow the process down o even worse, waste a dose, because of “rules”.

This is where I shake out.  I'm fine with a limited window for 65+.  But the 65+ are not the primary source of the "spread".  The sooner we get shots in the arms of younger folks the sooner the overall spread slows down.  And the reality is that 65+ are probably the least likely to be aggressive/knowledgeable about finding all available shot locations. We certainly don't want to have shots unused.  I think the larger "Hub" centers in Dallas, Ft Worth, etc. that already have a long waiting list should be prioritizing based purely on age.  But I'm fine with smaller locations frankly giving to anyone on the ball enough to find them.  You certainly don't want the random CVS with 300 shots in a given week sitting on them because they are only giving to 65+ and folks haven't shown up.

13 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Require proof of vaccination for adults within 12 months or there’s a 25% COVID tax on your income April 15th.

Hopefully this was in jest. If anything, people that did not get COVID because they made responsible decisions and therefore did not tie up hospitals, spread the disease and burn through a ton of govt resources should be the ones getting some benefit.

My dad had not registered for the vaccine but showed up for a Dr visit and they were going to give him one but they had just given away the very last one. Probably has been discussed already but the Dr gave him advice to take Ivermectin (which is the active ingrediant dewormer for animals). Talk to my brother in law and there is a run on that at every Tractor Supply as that is supposed to paralyze the virus so it can't multiply.

2 hours ago, XYZ said:

Thats not why they are on the 1b list though.

I checked the vaccine GIS map, https://tdem.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=3700a84845c5470cb0dc3ddace5c376b

And noticed that the rural Brookshire Bros. I have been following had their total shipped doses doubled from 100 to 200 in the last day or two.  I am hoping this means that theses small providers are getting their 2nd doses in this week because my mom is waiting to hear back from Brookshire Bros. to schedule her second dose appt.  The 30th will be 4 weeks for her.

I believe the weekly vaccine allocation PDF is for first doses only.  If that is the case, then I have to assume the jump in total doses shipped would be for people needing their 2nd doses at these rural pharmacies.  Lets hope so.

17 hours ago, kevwun said:

HEB doesn't go in to North Texas.  They aren't even many in Dallas.

There aren't ANY in Dallas. We have a couple or three Central Markets but no HEB's. Closest one iss in Waxahatchee.  There's also one in Burleson, that's the closest one to Fort Worth.

15 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Need to do like we did for polio. Just show up in schools, line those teens up and vaccinate them. There’s no fucking opting out or parental consent.

My parents came up the weekend after Xmas and my dad and I were talking about the vaccine rollout. He said when they got the polio vaccine they just rounded everybody up and bussed them to get vaccinated.

This "rollout" appears to be a smashmortion of epic proportion.

• Like 1

Got my second dose of of the Pfizer vaccine yesterday morning.  I felt a bit tired and foggy for most of the afternoon (mostly tired).  Injection site pain was more pronounced from the get-go.  Woke up at 2:30 a.m. with a solid full body ache and felt super lethargic.  Skipped out on work, took an Advil at about 6 a.m., and am feeling fine (about 95%) by noon.  Just the immune system flexing a bit.  Hope we can get a lot of needles in arms in the months to come. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ZB'Tejas said:

Probably has been discussed already but the Dr gave him advice to take Ivermectin (which is the active ingrediant dewormer for animals). Talk to my brother in law and there is a run on that at every Tractor Supply as that is supposed to paralyze the virus so it can't multiply.

They better not be selling that to a healthy 30 yo farmer/rancher ahead of a  65+ farmer/rancher

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

There are 44,000+ on the appointment waiting list with the Family Emergency “hub” provider here in Wilco. They were supposed to start vaccinating from their 6,000 does shipment today.

I registered there more than 10 days ago.

Believe you live in BC too. Where did you register?

6 minutes ago, hornian said:

Hope so. 

I think J&J vaccine (one shot, long shelf life, doesn't need deep freeze) is the biggest key to getting to critical mass on mass vaccinations. 

Moderna doesn't require a deep freeze either, at least as is my understanding.  Still has two doses, but they are 28 days apart while pfizer is 21 days apart.

Edited by dcbc

13 hours ago, Hmbre97 said:

So under this new hub model, will the "Additional Providers" still be getting doses going forward? I got my first shot today courtesy of my employer who is an 'Additional Provider'. Wondering if I will be getting my followup shot in a month.

In theory a second shot should follow the first shot at the same place you got the first shot.  Three weeks later for Pfizer, four weeks later for Moderna.

27 minutes ago, Texas Jeff said:

In theory a second shot should follow the first shot at the same place you got the first shot.  Three weeks later for Pfizer, four weeks later for Moderna.

In my situation, I was told that when you got the first shot, they reserved the second shot dosage physically set aside and reserved for you.  I received my vaccine at a hospital clinic.

talked to a friend that participated in the moderna vaccine trial, he had his unblinding appointment yesterday.  it was revealed that he had received the vaccine and the option to cross over from the placebo was available right away.  also, and more interesting is that the earliest participants are still producing sufficient antibodies "a year later", according to his coordinator.

more than a week after getting my first dose of the vaccine I'm still a-ok.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

OK, a little chart for today.   I have been tracking vaccine allocation to Texas and the amounts vaccinated as reported by the state.

This chart shows you a solid blue line showing total first shot federal allocations for Texas, combining Pfizer and Moderna.  The date on the chart is the first date of the week of the allocation, so the earliest possible data that shots could have been received.  The vertical axis shows the percent of Texans that could have been covered by the allocations.  The dashed blue line shows actual first shot results, shots in arms reported to the tracking database, and then shown on the dashboard.

The orange lines show the same thing for the second shot, solid orange represents allocations and dashed orange is shots in arms, reported and shown on the tracking dashboard.

The lines go flat on the top because I assume that there will be no more allocations other than what Texas has been promised so far.  That's probably not true, they will probably continue upward.

There will always be a lag between shot allocations and shots reported to the dashboard.  Right now the lag is pretty big, like 2.5 weeks.  The state can narrow the gap by getting better at giving shots, but ultimately can't go any faster unless allocations increase.

VaxProgress.jpg

Edited by Texas Jeff
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

well shit. My old-ass parents, who live in Collin County got an appt. at Fair Park for Monday. I haven't seen them for more than a year now.

They going to pull the rug out, or is this just for scheduling going forwards? (my dad is old AND super high-risk due to no fault of his own...incurable lung condition with no known origin)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Texas Jeff said:

OK, a little chart for today.   I have been tracking vaccine allocation to Texas and the amounts vaccinated as reported by the state.

This chart shows you a solid blue line showing total first shot federal allocations for Texas, combining Pfizer and Moderna.  The date on the chart is the first date of the week of the allocation, so the earliest possible data that shots could have been received.  The vertical axis shows the percent of Texans that could have been covered by the allocations.  The dashed blue line shows actual first shot results, shots in arms reported to the tracking database, and then shown on the dashboard.

The orange lines show the same thing for the second shot, solid orange represents allocations and dashed orange is shots in arms, reported and shown on the tracking dashboard.

The lines go flat on the top because I assume that there will be no more allocations other than what Texas has been promised so far.  That's probably not true, they will probably continue upward.

There will always be a lag between shot allocations and shots reported to the dashboard.  Right now the lag is pretty big, like 2.5 weeks.  The state can narrow the gap by getting better at giving shots, but ultimately can't go any faster unless allocations increase.

VaxProgress.jpg

Do we think the number of shot allocations includes everything?  I keep thinking there may have been shot allocations sent earlier that were for medical folks, first responders, and elderly care facilities that may not be showing in the public records.

6 hours ago, Skipper said:

And the reality is that 65+ are probably the least likely to be aggressive/knowledgeable about finding all available shot locations. 

That makes sense from a logical standpoint, but it's not accurate at all. At least not at this stage in the process. Whether it's the old folks shopping around or their kids helping, it's damn near impossible to get a spot in line. We're spending several hours every day looking just like millions of other people. If there are shots laying around unused, it's not because old folks aren't being aggressive enough in finding them

19 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

The state allocating vaccines is going to shut this horseshit down.  But glad my folks have already got the 1st shot just in case.