COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

22 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Interesting.  Where are you seeing this data?  I could have sworn I read something last week speculating the 50% claim after 1 shot was likely conservative and expectation was it's higher.

the # i've been reading/hearing has been 30%.  don't have one singular source but i follow this closely as part of my job and we get updates several times a day in research reports.

12 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

the # i've been reading/hearing has been 30%.  don't have one singular source but i follow this closely as part of my job and we get updates several times a day in research reports.

I read the same thing about the 30% report from the Israelis and posted it here several posts back.   I've also ready where 50% was conservative and some were saying it might be more like 70%.  I didn't really understand what that meant and had to look it up.  That means at one shot you have a 50% chance of it providing anti-bodies.   A a 50% of it doing nothing.  Cant say I am a fan of those odds.  

The Israeli data are worth tracking, but it is very hard to make comparisons to the expectations from the trial data.  The Israeli data is based on PCR+ test (both asymptomatic and symptomatic) vs. symptomatic disease and a subset of 60 year old matched to non-vaccinated controls. Israel is seeing significant early reductions in Rt and sever disease. The methodological difference can easily explain the observation at 14 days.

Here is a thread on the results...

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, midtown said:

I really can't disagree with that.

It slows down the process, and it addresses a problem that they don't even know exists. FL is cool if part-time like winter residents get the vaccine. I imagine there are thousands of winter Floridians there right now. They're not cool with people, especially non-Americans flying there for the vaccine. But they also have zero evidence this has occurred or occurred at scale. They're wasting healthcare's time on a non-existent problem.

28 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Does anyone know if there is a difference between the first and second Moderna shot? Same amount and constitution?

was told there is no difference.  CDC updated yesterday that 6 weeks is OK between the shots.  Docs I have talked to said probably good up to 8 weeks.

So here is a question.  Let's say you were able to get the first and for whatever reason you can't get the second?  ie no vaccine available etc.    And then you finally get one say 3 months later.   Does that change anything?

The best answer is we don’t know. I imagine the long term protection would be affected. But I’m just spitballing.

10 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Interesting.  Where are you seeing this data?  I could have sworn I read something last week speculating the 50% claim after 1 shot was likely conservative and expectation was it's higher.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/19/single-covid-vaccine-dose-in-israel-less-effective-than-we-hoped

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/01/19/israeli-covid-czar-says-first-pfizer-jab-not-effective-hoped/

NSIAP, but the Family Health (cedar park, etc) “wait list” is total bullshit.

I know several people who have booked an appointment, but either never received an email or were never on the wait list at all.

They just booked a link when available on that main page.

Not too mad though. Getting needles in arms as fast as possibly I guess.

1 hour ago, 4th_and_18 said:

The best answer is we don’t know. I imagine the long term protection would be affected. But I’m just spitballing.

yeah I wonder if you just get it anyway and then there is a waiting period before you try to go do another 2 shot round.

they've already talked about potentially doing this yearly or every 2 years so maybe they know there isn't really a downside to doing it yearly.

2 hours ago, midtown said:
2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:
I haven’t seen that as listed as qualifying criteria.

But maybe it should be. Id have no issues with this person battling their way to an early spot.

I think the thought is that based on data under 16 doesn't seem to be at risk even if immuno compromised but yeah if my kid was I'd certainly be trying.

It slows down the process, and it addresses a problem that they don't even know exists. FL is cool if part-time like winter residents get the vaccine. I imagine there are thousands of winter Floridians there right now. They're not cool with people, especially non-Americans flying there for the vaccine. But they also have zero evidence this has occurred or occurred at scale. They're wasting healthcare's time on a non-existent problem.

my cousin living in Miami knows of a neighbor hosting his family that came from South America for the holidays, 5 from the traveling party were able to get the first shot of the vaccine and rescheduled their return home after they get the second dose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regarding children, does it make a difference if the parents get the vaccine? I thought vaccinated people can still get the virus and be an asymptomatic spreaders. The vaccine protects the individual but doesn't contribute to herd immunity.

Is this correct?

1 minute ago, F250 said:

Regarding children, does it make a difference if the parents get the vaccine? I thought vaccinated people can still get the virus and be an asymptomatic spreaders. The vaccine protects the individual but doesn't contribute to herd immunity.

Is this correct?

We don't know. In God we trust.  All other must bring data. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, F250 said:

I thought vaccinated people can still get the virus and be an asymptomatic spreaders. The vaccine protects the individual but doesn't contribute to herd immunity.

Is this correct?

sort of.  maybe.   in theory your projected viral load will be lower when you are only an asymptomatic spreader, which is good, but in the end won't matter much.

the key is the R-naught.    somewhere in another thread today is a story about colleges testing.  schools that test everyone every week have a positivity rate of 1%.  schools that don't test everyone every week have a positivity rate of 12-15% (iirc).  we could kill the R-naught, but the mah-freedoms crowd (~75m krakens) will not stand for contact tracing and quarantines, which is what is needed to action mass-testing data.

US society, culture, economy, government, healthcare system, banks, controlling elite....   our entire civilization construct in the US is programmed to function poorly if we can't come up with a new vaccine in 90 days every time we get a new mutation.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Eat shit, HEB!!!!! I got my mom a vaccine appointment via City of Houston at Delmar Stadium drive through site for for Tuesday 1/26. 🙂

Signed up for alerts from Everbridge app; subcategory HoustonAlerts; subcategory HoustonRecovers or some such shit... I’m kinda drunk now. 🙂

App alerted me at 4PM today about 1,600 vaccination slots open for next week. I slammed my brakes and stopped on the shoulder of I-45 S near Beltway 8. Greenspoint, represent!!!!  A few taps later, appointment confirmed. A few moments later, all 1,600 slots were filled.

Bernard

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Bernard said:

Eat shit, HEB!!!!! I got my mom a vaccine appointment via City of Houston at Delmar Stadium drive through site for for Tuesday 1/26. 🙂

Signed up for alerts from Everbridge app; subcategory HoustonAlerts; subcategory HoustonRecovers or some such shit... I’m kinda drunk now. 🙂

App alerted me at 4PM today about 1,600 vaccination slots open for next week. I slammed my brakes and stopped on the shoulder of I-45 S near Beltway 8. Greenspoint, represent!!!!  A few taps later, appointment confirmed. A few moments later, all 1,600 slots were filled.

Bernard

Good work.

Edited by Armybrat

I look forward to this thread in about seven weeks from today when we are all reading a stream of stories about hundreds of thousands of people not being able to get the second shot because of mismanagement of supply, causing ultimately a failure of the vaccination process by the summer and the requirement to go back and start over again on vaccinations of millions of people. 

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

Can a person go ahead and get their first shot if they think they are exhibiting some illness symptoms?

asking for a friend

I do not think they can get vaccinated. "Are you experiencing symptoms" is one of the questions asked in the health questionnaire.

Shots today at Methodist same location.  Much improved process compared to last week.  

First, go early if you can. Showed up at 8:20 for 9:00 appts. No one there. By 9:00 much more crowded.

No line for the garage entrance though at either time.  That might be a buildup thing as the day goes on but for this morning it was a non-issue. 

Once inside, initial “are you on the list” line (first of 3) was short to get into the second line.  Second (registration) line was still a bit concerning -long narrow hallway- but this time we had hall monitors keeping people spaced. Then the registration at a room full of folding tables with admins at computers checking and scanning ID and insurance.  Then a short wait in line 3 to a room filled with voting booths for the shots. Then the observation room for 15 min.  

If you have ever gotten on a cruise ship this is exactly the same process. Feels like they tried it their way last week then had some OOW Norwegian admin take over and run it.

Still NO WAY to leave the 15 minute post-shot observation room. I even asked about waiting in the car and was told pretty firmly that is not available, and all waiting is required to happen in that room. No way to leave early either. They now make you wear a sticker with your time on it and the bouncer compares to the ridiculously huge clock before you can go. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

I look forward to this thread in about seven weeks from today when we are all reading a stream of stories about hundreds of thousands of people not being able to get the second shot because of mismanagement of supply, causing ultimately a failure of the vaccination process by the summer and the requirement to go back and start over again on vaccinations of millions of people. 

You do?

4 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

would be nice to get to double that in the next couple of weeks.  not sure its possible but hope the curve continues up.

As we're among the better states in administering vaccines and actually getting shots in arms, it'll just depend on how many the states get from the manufacturer.

NYT says we've put 57% of doses in arms.  West Virginia and the Dakotas are at an astonishing 70%.

Covid-19 Vaccine Rollout: State by State - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

• Hook 'Em 1

Texas Week 7 is out:

https://www.dshs.state.tx.us/news/updates/COVIDVaccineAllocation-Week7.pdf

Very similar to Week 6 for the hubs. That is good because the hubs need predictable supply to just keep going.

In Travis Co, if you don't have a friend at the DSHS Central Warehouse, or are not affiliated with UT, or are not 65+ or don't have insurance, you really need to look elsewhere. I *hope* those with the vax in Travis Co are focused on the 65+ category.

2 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

As we're among the better states in administering vaccines and actually getting shots in arms, it'll just depend on how many the states get from the manufacturer.

NYT says we've put 57% of doses in arms.  West Virginia and the Dakotas are at an astonishing 70%.

Covid-19 Vaccine Rollout: State by State - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

to be fair everyone in West Virginia is at least 1B

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Talked to my folks this morning. They’re scheduled for their second moderna shot next week in Tyler at a Super 1 where they got their first dose. My dad has called the pharmacy multiple times over the last week to make sure they have their second dose and each time, the pharmacist has said, yes absolutely.

We shall see.

If we could get that to 500K first doses a week (under the assumption there was also enough for second doses) that would be fantastic.  2M a month isn't the best but that would put us on pace to get to 20M in 10 months time and that is before you factor in things like JNJ, the potential effects on reducing spread of those who have had it, summer where virus doesn't thrive quite as well etc.  I'll still call Labor Day as when the normal really starts to return and we spend the next 6-12 months cleaning up stragglers, mutations, blah blah blah. That said Labor Day or not WE HAVE to have this under control before next holiday season/winter 

10 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Does anybody know how many covid vaccines per day are currently being given in Texas and in the USA?

We just hit 100K for a day the first time at the end of the week in Texas, so probably something like 70-90K average (sorry don't have exact "average")  US is right under a million per day for the last week (982,739).

This has seemed to be a pretty decent aggregator

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/covid-vaccine-tracker-global-distribution/

Edited by Surly Bevo