COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

10 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Based on my personal experience negotiating trials and testing requirements with FDA, probably some bullshit schedule matrix that was created by a PhD that just started working at FDA 18 months ago. 

It was to get the shit over with faster, through approval faster, etc. Boosters for every other vaccine in the world are longer than six weeks. There's a reason for that. 

You guys are mad that APH has chosen not to use a purely arbitrary 21/28 day timeframe developed because we wanted to get the vaccines through trials and EUA faster, and is instead using a strategy that the fifth wealthiest country on Earth has used with very strong success. It's not like they're just making shit up. Are they on the bleeding edge in terms of being an early adopter of the one-vaccine plan? Yes, they are. But they're not just flying by the seat of their pants. The one-shot strategy is something that's being pushed more and more in the scientific community. We've discussed it in this thread quite a bit. Mathematically it's easily the best option.

I do fully admit that they might have made the switch to this plan because they fucked up the logistics. I know COA can be a mess. But none of us know why they did it, and arguing in bad faith that they did it for *reasons* (I think dcar thinks they literally have a grudge against his wife) is counterproductive. Everyone will have their second shot shortly, and more than likely the people going full Karen about not getting their shots at 12:01am on the 21st day are going to end up having better immunity that those who get the 2nd earlier. Assuming this vaccine behaves like the AstraZeneca vaccine or basically every vaccine ever, which I know is a big leap!

Edited by BradInATX

Just got my shot. 1:50 in line. Not bad considering how many people are here.

They don’t check your appointment time but they do look up your name on the list. Two cars in front of me had to leave due to not being scheduled for today.
Yeah was scheduled for 10:45, arrived around 10:30 and didn't get my shot until 12:10.
They did want to see my confirmation email for today as well as an email with my name on it. I suppose you would normally have all of this on one email but because of the constant rescheduling I had to dig for one with my name.

I definitely saw a car or two be ushered away for not having the required proof. Sucks to wait all that time.

2 hours ago, BradInATX said:

You sure are anxious to get your wife the vaccine for a guy who's been downplaying the severity of COVID for the last twelve months.

I don't really care, she got it because she is 1B and wanted it.   I just think it is funny watching you do mental gymnastics when we were told "OMG the science, follow the science" and then APH fucks up and doesn't follow CDC guidance and now says "ah nevermind, whenever is good, or hey maybe never".

If they'd let us schedule one a month out from now, which would be 6 weeks from the 28th day, that would be fine, but they aren't.  It would be easy to do. why aren't they?

Got my 1st today in Collin county. Was scheduled Friday before last, then last Wednesday but weather.

Appointment was 8-8:30. Arrived at 7:30 and about 20th in line. Started taking info about 8 and got shot at 8:43 and out of recovery at 9. 
During recovery time they gave you website to go back to and setup 2nd shot. March 15th 8am again. 

No matter where you get it, try earliest possible time. I imagine stuff backs up as day goes on. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, texhorn said:

How does second dose scheduling work with APH? Do you get an email with a booking link? Just check back at the site? Some other secret handshake method?

My understanding is they contact you given the lack of available outreach/contact info. Even if so, and I don't particularly mind that strategy, the messaging is bad. If you're going to do that, you need to make it clear.

In line at Kelly Reeves since 11:30. The entire parking lot is the queue where you wait in your car. I assume they give you the shot through the window. I’m gonna guess it’s a 2-4 hour wait since I have yet to see a line near me move forward.
How long did you end up waiting? My second shot at kelly reeves was last Thursday but because of the weather was cancelled. I'm supposed to get an email telling me to schedule for this week but so far haven't gotten one. My wife got her email last Friday. I'm starting to get anxious

Your wonderful state leaders are fucking you if you live in north Texas. I hope none of y’all or your loved ones die of covid waiting for a vaccine you could have had. 

And if you think this post is political feel free to eat a dick 

The state that sent as many vaccines to Lubbock and Amarillo as it did to Austin engages in political patronage?????

How long did you end up waiting? My second shot at kelly reeves was last Thursday but because of the weather was cancelled. I'm supposed to get an email telling me to schedule for this week but so far haven't gotten one. My wife got her email last Friday. I'm starting to get anxious

Look in the email they sent saying you are being rescheduled. There should be an email address you can contact if you don’t get automatically rescheduled for some reason (I don’t want to publicly post).
I’m overdue for a 2nd shot with them and have heard nothing other than be patient. I think it’s a shitshow right now over there trying to recover from last week.

18 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Just heard second-hand that they're sending people away from Kelly Reeves this morning due to the vaccine not arriving on time. 

I had an appointment for today and I received an email last night telling me it had been cancelled because the weather has delayed this week's shipment of vaccines.  What was even more frustrating was while I was reading that email on my phone I received a text asking me to confirm my appointment for today.

• Rage+1 1

10 minutes ago, Monty Capuletti said:

I had an appointment for today and I received an email last night telling me it had been cancelled because the weather has delayed this week's shipment of vaccines.  What was even more frustrating was while I was reading that email on my phone I received a text asking me to confirm my appointment for today.

you scheduled at kelley reeves?

1 hour ago, texhorn said:

Look in the email they sent saying you are being rescheduled. There should be an email address you can contact if you don’t get automatically rescheduled for some reason (I don’t want to publicly post).
I’m overdue for a 2nd shot with them and have heard nothing other than be patient. I think it’s a shitshow right now over there trying to recover from last week.

my email didn't have a phone # or email address to contact.  gonna try the williamson county call center, 512.943.1600.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

my email didn't have a phone # or email address to contact.  gonna try the williamson county call center, 512.943.1600.

Good luck with the call center. I’ve tried them four times this morning. It answers and immediately puts you on hold for 10-15 minutes and then starts ringing and eventually hangs up on you.

I emailed them to get confirmation but haven’t heard back from them yet.

17 hours ago, gmr548 said:

My understanding is they contact you given the lack of available outreach/contact info. Even if so, and I don't particularly mind that strategy, the messaging is bad. If you're going to do that, you need to make it clear.

ha. now wife's email address/login doesn't show in the APH system.  probably will head over there sometime next week when the delay due to weather is somewhat over and see if they can just give it to her or at least set up an appointment since we will be a week or so past the 42nd day.  they have her cell number so a little communication via text might go a long way.

ha. now wife's email address/login doesn't show in the APH system.  probably will head over there sometime next week when the delay due to weather is somewhat over and see if they can just give it to her or at least set up an appointment since we will be a week or so past the 42nd day.  they have her cell number so a little communication via text might go a long way.

Have you tried putting a .APH after the email address like it says on the login page? Not that logging in really helps.

12 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Have you tried putting a .APH after the email address like it says on the login page? Not that logging in really helps.

yes have done the .com.aph since the beginning.  still says not in their system.  I get the delay due to the storm but their system is/has been clusterfucked since the beginning.  my assumption is that it is mostly incompetence, due to them not knowing how to run an online system like this, but I know they are manually calling/texting folks on their normal lists.  she has the card from the first shot so we'll just drive over when it calms down(hopefully) next week.  there really is no reason it should take more than a month after the 42nd day to get a 2nd shot and they would just allow people to sign up only for 2nd shots it would probably be OK.

Edited by dcar00

5 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

yes have done the .com.aph since the beginning.  still says not in their system.  I get the delay due to the storm but their system is/has been clusterfucked since the beginning.  my assumption is that it is mostly incompetence, due to them not knowing how to run an online system like this, but I know they are manually calling/texting folks on their normal lists.  she has the card from the first shot so we'll just drive over when it calms down(hopefully) next week.  there really is no reason it should take more than a month after the 42nd day to get a 2nd shot and they would just allow people to sign up only for 2nd shots it would probably be OK.

What flavor was her first shot?

Very frustrated. I’m now five weeks since my 1st shot at Kelly reeves and they still haven’t sent a schedule email. Wife tried to call but they just said they’ll email us. I told my wife when we got our first shot that they would somehow screw up the second. 

3 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Very frustrated. I’m now five weeks since my 1st shot at Kelly reeves and they still haven’t sent a schedule email. Wife tried to call but they just said they’ll email us. I told my wife when we got our first shot that they would somehow screw up the second. 

at least there is a number to call.  It might not help but it  is something.  APH doesn't even have a number(at least that I can find).

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

This is concerning. Wife and I got ours on 2/1.

Has anyone that has gotten theirs on 2/1 or after gotten an email from FHS?

for those who got their first shots through family hospital-  

i went to the sun city location in georgetown and spoke to one of the ladies in charge.  they're giving second doses according to the following schedule:

today (tues) :  people who had their first shots on jan 23

tomorrow (wed):  people who had their first shots on jan 22

thursday:  people who had their first shots on jan 21

this is supposed to be for both kelly reeves and sun city.  they were turning away people who had booked appts for today but had received their shots on a day other than jan 23.  i know, messed up.  there's supposed to be an email coming out tonight to those who had their first shots jan 21-23 clarifying instructions.    

If anyone lives in South Texas/RGV area or just wants to drive four hours to Falfurrias for a Moderna shot, there's an open signup here:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfPNpROtESb4decs7ThjpmGd-WgVEypWZvYApOi0Fc_-vvMQw/viewform

No idea how long it will last or how they will handle second shots so caveat emptor.

Edited by BradInATX

Got my first shot of Pfizer this AM in North Richland Hills at a retirement community through a friend's connection. I am 1B, though, based on high blood pressure. Registered with Dallas and Tarrant County but hadn't heard a peep from either. A little sore in left arm and maybe the slightest of upper body aches.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

My mom was supposed to have her second dose from APH on Friday, just got an email with her appointment for tomorrow. A little annoying they don’t even consult you for scheduling but they’re obviously working through it. Check your emails if your existing a second dose last week or this week for sure.

Of course, my mother is not dcar’s wife, who APH holds a personal grudge against, so ymmv.

• Like 1

Yeah I got a few of those. They need to send those emails out in the morning so we're not headed there or getting a confirmation text before they tell us not to come.
Another issue of running into is I can't log into the patient portal for some reason. I should be able to schedule my second vaccine appointment through there but I haven't had any luck logging back in nor trying to reset my password. I have no idea what is going on with it.

2 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

for those who got their first shots through family hospital-  

i went to the sun city location in georgetown and spoke to one of the ladies in charge.  they're giving second doses according to the following schedule:

today (tues) :  people who had their first shots on jan 23

tomorrow (wed):  people who had their first shots on jan 22

thursday:  people who had their first shots on jan 21

this is supposed to be for both kelly reeves and sun city.  they were turning away people who had booked appts for today but had received their shots on a day other than jan 23.  i know, messed up.  there's supposed to be an email coming out tonight to those who had their first shots jan 21-23 clarifying instructions.    

what about people before jan 21?

Cross posting to this thread cause more relevant. Get shots in arms. 

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3790399 

Methods: The SIREN study is a prospective cohort study among staff working in publicly funded hospitals. Baseline risk factors, vaccination status (from 8/12/2020-5/2/2021), and symptoms are recorded at 2 weekly intervals and all SARS-CoV-2 polymerase chain reaction (PCR) and antibody test results documented. A mixed effect proportional hazards frailty model using a Poisson distribution was used to calculate hazard ratios to compare time to infection in unvaccinated and vaccinated participants to estimate the impact of the BNT162b2 vaccine on all (asymptomatic and symptomatic) infection.

Findings: Vaccine coverage was 89% on 5/2/2021. Significantly lower coverage was associated with prior infection (aOR 0.59 95% confidence interval [CI] 0.54-0.64), female (aOR 0.72, 95% CI 0.63-0.82), aged under 35 years, being from minority ethnic groups (especially Black, aOR 0.26, 95% CI 0.21-0.32), porters/security guards (aOR 0.61, 95% CI 0.42-0.90),or midwife (aOR 0.74, 95% CI 0.57-0.97), and living in more deprived neighbourhoods (IMD 1 (most) vs. 5 (least) (aOR 0.75, 95% CI 0.65-0.87). A single dose of BNT162b2 vaccine demonstrated vaccine effectiveness of 72% (95% CI 58-86) 21 days after first dose and 86% (95% CI 76-97) seven days after two doses in the antibody negative cohort.

Conclusion: Our study demonstrates that the BNT162b2 vaccine effectively prevents both symptomatic and asymptomatic infection in working age adults; this cohort was vaccinated when the dominant variant in circulation was B1.1.7 and demonstrates effectiveness against this variant.

• Hook 'Em 1

Methods: The SIREN study is a prospective cohort study among staff working in publicly funded hospitals. Baseline risk factors, vaccination status (from 8/12/2020-5/2/2021), and symptoms are recorded at 2 weekly intervals and all SARS-CoV-2 polymerase chain reaction (PCR) and antibody test results documented. A mixed effect proportional hazards frailty model using a Poisson distribution was used to calculate hazard ratios to compare time to infection in unvaccinated and vaccinated participants to estimate the impact of the BNT162b2 vaccine on all (asymptomatic and symptomatic) infection.

Findings: Vaccine coverage was 89% on 5/2/2021. Significantly lower coverage was associated with prior infection (aOR 0.59 95% confidence interval [CI] 0.54-0.64), female (aOR 0.72, 95% CI 0.63-0.82), aged under 35 years, being from minority ethnic groups (especially Black, aOR 0.26, 95% CI 0.21-0.32), porters/security guards (aOR 0.61, 95% CI 0.42-0.90),or midwife (aOR 0.74, 95% CI 0.57-0.97), and living in more deprived neighbourhoods (IMD 1 (most) vs. 5 (least) (aOR 0.75, 95% CI 0.65-0.87). A single dose of BNT162b2 vaccine demonstrated vaccine effectiveness of 72% (95% CI 58-86) 21 days after first dose and 86% (95% CI 76-97) seven days after two doses in the antibody negative cohort.

Conclusion: Our study demonstrates that the BNT162b2 vaccine effectively prevents both symptomatic and asymptomatic infection in working age adults; this cohort was vaccinated when the dominant variant in circulation was B1.1.7 and demonstrates effectiveness against this variant.

Which vaccine is that one? Getting the 1st moderna shot Thursday

Just got this email.

If you are getting this email, you received your 1st COVID vaccine dose at Kelly Reeves Athletic Complex from January 20th-26th. We had attempted to have you book in our new system, but many of you have had issues getting into it. As a result, we will be scheduling you for the 2nd dose at Kelly Reeves on February 25-27. Your day and time will be based upon the first letter of your last name. This is the new schedule regardless of any times that some of you may have booked previously. It is important that you stick to this schedule, otherwise we will dramatically increase the wait times. If you don't present during the assigned time, you will not be permitted to get your vaccine. Please bring your white vaccination card that you received after your first dose. This is the "golden ticket" for entrance.

The schedule is as follows:

Thursday, February 25
9am-10am: Ab-An
10am-11am: Apa-Be
11am-12pm Bha-Bre
12pm-1pm Bri-Car
1pm-2pm Cas-Cl
2pm-3pm Cm-Das
3pm-4pm Dat-Dn
4pm-5pm Do-Es
5pm-6pm Et-Fy
6pm-7pm Ga-Gom
7pm-8pm Gon-Had

Friday, February 26
9am-10am: Haf-Hig
10am-11am: Hil-Jab
11am-12pm Jac-Kaf
12pm-1pm Kah-Ki
1pm-2pm Kl-Las
2pm-3pm Lat-Lu
3pm-4pm Lv-Mat
4pm-5pm Mau-Mik
5pm-6pm Mil-Mup
6pm-7pm Mur-Ole
7pm-8pm Oli-Pat

Saturday, February 27
9am-10am: Pau-Puc
10am-11am: Pud-Ret
11am-12pm Rev-Ry
12pm-1pm Sa-Sch
1pm-2pm Sco-Sil
2pm-3pm Sim-Ste
3pm-4pm Sti-Tha
4pm-5pm The-Van
5pm-6pm Var-WEb
6pm-7pm Wee-Xx
7pm-8pm Ya-Zz

[/Quote]
  • Hook 'Em 3

i'm sure it's been said countless times in this thread...but good god the APH registration system is horrible.

rant/ i've been just randomly checking for weeks now, and this evening i finally got something different - says i am 'in line' with ~2,000 people in front of me, but that number is going down and i can at least track the time.

as soon as i saw it i had my husband log on himself immediately...and he was able to register and get all the way to the next-to-last step, where it tells you if you don't go to the next page you're not finish, so keep hitting 'next' until you do...so i sat here like a dummy for 15 minutes hitting 'next' again and again, imagining a stored proc trying to query and update/insert a database...

and then it suddenly said 'we're sorry but someone grabbed the last spot for that date/time, please try again'. 

i'll be honest...i'm shocked they still have not improved the performance of this thing. i mean, i worked in public sector IT, i know our shit wasn't the fanciest or fastest, but this type of performance for this length of time would have been absolutely unacceptable at any of the agencies i worked at. there are always things you can do. you run a warroom with reps from every area and you hammer out every option and you work the problem and that's all anybody does until it's over. this thing has been live for many, many weeks, right? ridiculous. /rant

Just got this email.

If you are getting this email, you received your 1st COVID vaccine dose at Kelly Reeves Athletic Complex from January 20th-26th. We had attempted to have you book in our new system, but many of you have had issues getting into it. As a result, we will be scheduling you for the 2nd dose at Kelly Reeves on February 25-27. Your day and time will be based upon the first letter of your last name. This is the new schedule regardless of any times that some of you may have booked previously. It is important that you stick to this schedule, otherwise we will dramatically increase the wait times. If you don't present during the assigned time, you will not be permitted to get your vaccine. Please bring your white vaccination card that you received after your first dose. This is the "golden ticket" for entrance.

The schedule is as follows:

Thursday, February 25
9am-10am: Ab-An
10am-11am: Apa-Be
11am-12pm Bha-Bre
12pm-1pm Bri-Car
1pm-2pm Cas-Cl
2pm-3pm Cm-Das
3pm-4pm Dat-Dn
4pm-5pm Do-Es
5pm-6pm Et-Fy
6pm-7pm Ga-Gom
7pm-8pm Gon-Had

Friday, February 26
9am-10am: Haf-Hig
10am-11am: Hil-Jab
11am-12pm Jac-Kaf
12pm-1pm Kah-Ki
1pm-2pm Kl-Las
2pm-3pm Lat-Lu
3pm-4pm Lv-Mat
4pm-5pm Mau-Mik
5pm-6pm Mil-Mup
6pm-7pm Mur-Ole
7pm-8pm Oli-Pat

Saturday, February 27
9am-10am: Pau-Puc
10am-11am: Pud-Ret
11am-12pm Rev-Ry
12pm-1pm Sa-Sch
1pm-2pm Sco-Sil
2pm-3pm Sim-Ste
3pm-4pm Sti-Tha
4pm-5pm The-Van
5pm-6pm Var-WEb
6pm-7pm Wee-Xx
7pm-8pm Ya-Zz

WTF?!?!?

First shot there on 1/25. Second dose initially scheduled for 2/22. Last Thursday, I got the email stating that my appointment was going to be rescheduled and that I should expect an email with an invite link within the next 7 days.

As of 5 minutes ago, that’s the last communication from them. No email breaking down alphabet groups at all. I may just show up according to that schedule anyway.

Got my first shot of Pfizer this AM in North Richland Hills at a retirement community through a friend's connection. I am 1B, though, based on high blood pressure. Registered with Dallas and Tarrant County but hadn't heard a peep from either. A little sore in left arm and maybe the slightest of upper body aches.

You already had COVID right?

IIRC the first shot for those who have had COVID acts more like the second for those who haven’t (stronger reaction).

WTF?!?!?

First shot there on 1/25. Second dose initially scheduled for 2/22. Last Thursday, I got the email stating that my appointment was going to be rescheduled and that I should expect an email with an invite link within the next 7 days.

As of 5 minutes ago, that’s the last communication from them. No email breaking down alphabet groups at all. I may just show up according to that schedule anyway.

1/26 here (along with 2 other family members) and we didn’t get the email above either. Nor had any sort of appointment set, rescheduled, etc. other than expect something in 7 days (which never came). what a mess.

11 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Thanks for posting.

I also want to point out that this showed 86% effectiveness of the Pfizer vaccine to prevent ALL infection (not just symptomatic) one week after the 2nd dose.  These folks were all getting every 2 week PCR swabs and every month antibody tests.    So that means AT LEAST 86% reduction in transmission (if you can’t get it, you can’t transmit it), which is fantastic. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Heme Doc said:

I also want to point out that this showed 86% effectiveness of the Pfizer vaccine to prevent ALL infection (not just symptomatic) one week after the 2nd dose.  These folks were all getting every 2 week PCR swabs and every month antibody tests.    So that means AT LEAST 86% reduction in transmission (if you can’t get it, you can’t transmit it), which is fantastic. 

What I find so confusing is with this type of data continuing to emerge is why the talking heads continue to predict doom for years.  I get why the media does it but at some point someone has to start to talk about the good news and give pandemic fatigued people some hope.    I am pro rules, pro mask but to keep throwing out the "masks forever" is just dumb with this kind of data.   Either we believe in the science and the glory of these vaccines or we don't.  We are already fighting the anti-vax morons why give them more ammo?

Oh and FDA released JNJ results.   Solid. 

• Hook 'Em 1