COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

Got my first shot at Kelly Reeves on Feb. 1, and was able to book my second on Feb. 27, but then got this email last night:

While we recognize that you have booked an appointment for a 2nd dose, it has been determined that many of you did not receive your 1st vaccine through FHS. Unfortunately, we only receive an allotment for those that we have vaccinated. We are not given extra 2nd doses. As a result, your appointment is considered cancelled. Please do not present for a vaccination as you will be turned away. We apologize for the miscommunication.

For those of you who received your 1st dose through FHS, you should have received an email with instructions on when you will be scheduled, February 25-27. Please disregard any automated emails or texts that you might receive. Thank you for your patience as we work hard to get everyone fully vaccinated.

What the fuck does the second paragraph mean?  That I should expect an email sometime between February 25 and February 27 with instructions to get the second dose at some later time?  Or, I should have already received an email (which I sure as fucking didn't) with instructions to get the second dose during the February 25-27 time frame?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, midtown said:

What I find so confusing is with this type of data continuing to emerge is why the talking heads continue to predict doom for years.  I get why the media does it but at some point someone has to start to talk about the good news and give pandemic fatigued people some hope.    I am pro rules, pro mask but to keep throwing out the "masks forever" is just dumb with this kind of data.   Either we believe in the science and the glory of these vaccines or we don't.  We are already fighting the anti-vax morons why give them more ammo?

Oh and FDA released JNJ results.   Solid. 

Most of the anti-vax, anti-mask types I've run into would gladly wear a mask if you could make it double as a feed bag. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Got my first shot at Kelly Reeves on Feb. 1, and was able to book my second on Feb. 27, but then got this email last night:

What the fuck does the second paragraph mean?  That I should expect an email sometime between February 25 and February 27 with instructions to get the second dose at some later time?  Or, I should have already received an email (which I sure as fucking didn't) with instructions to get the second dose during the February 25-27 time frame?

Wife and I got our first through them also on 2/1 and have received zero communications since.

5 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

So once I get my shot I lose an excuse not to interact with some of my shittier family members. Sigh.. so is life. 

LOL. My whole damn in-law train is coming through the house this weekend because they've all been vaccinated or had Covid and recovered.

I'm going to smoke a pork butt overnight Friday, stick it in the oven to hold until lunch for them, and go play golf.

My trumper sister got all pissed off at everyone because we all decided to not have a big group gettogether for Christmas because of Covid. So as everyone else mailed eachother presents, she just kept all hers. I guaran-fucking-tee you she uses them as bait to try and make us come visit her sometime. "I still have your kids Christmas presents so you should come visit" 

As I mentioned had Pfizer #1 yesterday at around 11 AM. Felt fine but experienced very minor aches yesterday afternoon so I took some Tylenol and Advil. All good rest of the day. Started feeling iffy around 2 AM. By 5:30, I felt awful. Severe body aches and chills consistent with flu — and very similar to the worst I felt back when I had Covid last March. My wife brought me more Tylenol/Advil and I was able to get back to sleep. I seem to be better now but having a hard time getting out of bed.

My body does not appear to like this virus at all. Hoping #2 in three weeks isn’t as bad. Everybody else of our friends who took it yesterday are just fine. My shoulder is really sore.

23 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

This is the same sister that was still spouting bullshit Covid vs Flu statistics AFTER our dad almost died from it. 

I have a cousin whose wife wouldn't let him go to the doctor when he had a bad case of the rona because it would mean she would have had to quarantine once the doctor's office found out.  Fucking sucks when you find out family members are terrible people.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, C-Man said:

As I mentioned had Pfizer #1 yesterday at around 11 AM. Felt fine but experienced very minor aches yesterday afternoon so I took some Tylenol and Advil. All good rest of the day. Started feeling iffy around 2 AM. By 5:30, I felt awful. Severe body aches and chills consistent with flu — and very similar to the worst I felt back when I had Covid last March. My wife brought me more Tylenol/Advil and I was able to get back to sleep. I seem to be better now but having a hard time getting out of bed.

My body does not appear to like this virus at all. Hoping #2 in three weeks isn’t as bad. Everybody else of our friends who took it yesterday are just fine. My shoulder is really sore.

Why did you get vaccinated if you already had covid?

1 minute ago, CooterBrown said:

If you grab a spot for a shot at an H-E-B hours away, can you do your second dose at a different location that closer?  Been trying to find my wife a shot and avoid driving 4 hours twice.

If you play this right you can have the house to yourself for three weeks.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

So where do folks stand on those of us who aren't in 1a or 1b starting to hunt for available spots?  Full disclosure I had a friend send a link to make an appointment at Kelly Reeves, which was later cancelled by FHS as apparently the link wasn't supposed to be made public/shared.

I'm starting to see spots pop up in more places more often like the HEB and CVS websites mentioned above.  Should I (late 30s, no health conditions, office environment job) give it another month to see if restrictions are lifted to general populations?  Or at this point is getting shots in arms more important, and I shouldn't feel bad about hunting for a dose?

Just now, drt said:

So where do folks stand on those of us who aren't in 1a or 1b starting to hunt for available spots?  Full disclosure I had a friend send a link to make an appointment at Kelly Reeves, which was later cancelled by FHS as apparently the link wasn't supposed to be made public/shared.

I'm starting to see spots pop up in more places more often like the HEB and CVS websites mentioned above.  Should I (late 30s, no health conditions, office environment job) give it another month to see if restrictions are lifted to general populations?  Or at this point is getting shots in arms more important, and I shouldn't feel bad about hunting for a dose?

I'm 39 with no comorbidities and I'm getting my first shot Friday. But I'm an asshole so you'll have to make your own morality judgement.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, drt said:

Shots in arms at this point, IMO. Go get it. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, drt said:

The doses that the government bought for the pharmacies shipped a week ago so I would expect the appointments to really start flowing.   JNJ only has 4mil so that's pretty much nothing.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

You already had COVID right?

IIRC the first shot for those who have had COVID acts more like the second for those who haven’t (stronger reaction).

Catching up on notifications. I posted my overnight experience a little while ago and it lines up with what you're saying here. Yes, I had COVID back in March. For a couple of hours this AM, I felt as bad as I did during my entire 2.5-3 week COVID experience in March. Our doctor friend, who was hosting the party where we both likely caught COVID, breezed through the first vaccine and was floored by the second.

51 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Why did you get vaccinated if you already had covid?

tenor.gif

36 minutes ago, midtown said:

Maybe because he doesn't want to get it again?  

Ding, ding, ding. I no longer have active antibodies as per blood test in December. They have no idea what kind of immunity you carry forward -- I think there is some -- but they don't have a clue if you can get it again yet. There are reports, not many mind you, of health care workers getting it a second time. Plus, if places are going to require vaccines to avoid mandatory quarantines, etc, I'm more than happy to oblige.

45 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

If you grab a spot for a shot at an H-E-B hours away, can you do your second dose at a different location that closer?  Been trying to find my wife a shot and avoid driving 4 hours twice.

My parents live in SA. My mother went down to Aransas Pass to get her first shot three weeks ago. She's going back down there to get her second this weekend.

41 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

I'm 39 with no comorbidities and I'm getting my first shot Friday. But I'm an asshole so you'll have to make your own morality judgement.

I’m under 39 with no comorbidites and received my 1st shot during the first round of freezing rain two weeks ago. But I’m a lawyer and also viewed the main character of I Care A Lot as more of an aspirational figure, so you may not want to emulate me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

Anecdotally so far, I think we've established in a completely unscientific way, that for people who've had it, shot #1 can make you feel bad.

For people who haven't had it, then it's shot #2 that tends to trigger the feel-bad response.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, drt said:

I see the data that says half the people that could get it aren't and say go get it. Shit a third of those 65+ say they won't get it and those are the fuckers that are dying from it. ~82% of all deaths from 60+ and they won't get vaccinated? WTF

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, drt said:

Just get the vaccine. Nobody cares 

I just had cv19 a few weeks ago and was completely asymptomatic. So, my plan is to take my sweet time, let lots more data come out on all the various vaccines, and get it at some point down the road when its widely available and nobody is waiting for it. In the meantime, if the vaccine gets us to herd immunity and infection numbers drop to near zero, I may wait until if/when another outbreak happens before getting the vaccine. Any docs disagree?

I just had cv19 a few weeks ago and was completely asymptomatic. So, my plan is to take my sweet time, let lots more data come out on all the various vaccines, and get it at some point down the road when its widely available and nobody is waiting for it. In the meantime, if the vaccine gets us to herd immunity and infection numbers drop to near zero, I may wait until if/when another outbreak happens before getting the vaccine. Any docs disagree?

I don’t think any of the providers will give it to you even if you want it if you’ve got a confirmed case within the past 90 days, so waiting is your only choice

1 hour ago, XYZ said:

Is the J&J vaccine not mRNA?

The partial gene sequence which codes for a portion of the COVID-19 spike protein was inserted into a cold virus (adenovirus) vector. The vector enters the cell but does not integrate into the genome and produces a portion of the spike protein. The body then has an immune response to the partial spike protein and produces antibodies against it.

7 minutes ago, Bevo said:

The partial gene sequence which codes for a portion of the COVID-19 spike protein was inserted into a cold virus (adenovirus) vector. The vector enters the cell but does not integrate into the genome and produces a portion of the spike protein. The body then has an immune response to the partial spike protein and produces antibodies against it.

the big lebowski opinion GIF

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

HEB has been releasing time slots in the Austin area for the past 30 minutes at least.  My wife grabbed one up in Derkaville. There's a half dozen locations that are popping up every few minutes.

My older brother got slots in P-ville for him & his wife for Friday.

5 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Thanks. So the Pfizer/moderna vaccines and the J&J vaccine are actually pretty similar. They all accomplish the same: give the cells a recipe for making the spike protein which then migrate outside the cell, which trigger the production of antibodies against the spikes. So when the actual SARS-CoV-2 virus goes in, the antibodies “block” the spike protein and prevent the virus from entering cells.