COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

1 minute ago, XYZ said:

Thanks. So the Pfizer/moderna vaccines and the J&J vaccine are actually pretty similar. They all accomplish the same: give the cells a recipe for making the spike protein which then migrate outside the cell, which trigger the production of antibodies against the spikes. So when the actual SARS-CoV-2 virus goes in, the antibodies “block” the spike protein and prevent the virus from entering cells.

Correct. There are also some vaccines in development which use a recombinant spike protein. In those vaccines, the protein is directly put into the body and then the body makes antibodies against it. The protein is probably stabilized so it stays in your system longer than the native spike protein and your body will make antibodies to it as long as it stays in your system. The length of time it stays in your body and the immunogenicity of the protein should directly correlate with the effectiveness of the vaccine.

^
Dude, where you live and work-mostly educated people there, right?.  Have you seen the polls about intent to take the vaccine when it's available to the rest of the masses?  The numbers are alarmingly low.  Much lower than even my worst fears.  As manufacturing increases across multiple companies and logistics are streamlined and improved by the Biden Administration, we could get to a pace in a few weeks that would have us "mostly open" by June/July.  However, I missed a meeting apparently, because there's now about 80 million Americans who'd rather sit at home with their dick in one hand and their KN95 mask in the other.  Because of these fucksticks growing in numbers as they keep believing each other's bullshit, we're now looking at September, at best.  It's just the way the math shakes out. 

It's 2021, I'm done with political divides, cultural divides, urban v. rural, college educated v. non-college educated, secular v. non-secular, etc.  All that shit that a handful of people insert as wedges to divide the other 330mm people in this country.  The predominant, overwhelming problem in this country that can account for everything shitty that's been on blast for the last 10+ years...is Stupidity.  Stupid people can be rich, they can be educated, and they're all over the socio-political spectrum.  And Stupidity has always been here but it was hidden, like cancer or homosexuality.  If you were stupid, odds are you probably knew it, you kept quiet about it, and you sure as shit didn't shout your thoughts on important matters from the rooftops.  But now the Stupid people not only don't think they're stupid anymore, they also think they should have significant input on the way things are done in this country including this vaccine.  Stupid People brought this virus to our shores, Stupid People let this virus rip through our country, Stupid People share in the blame for a half million Americans dead with their obtuse approach to mitigation, and Stupid People are gonna fuck up our herd immunity schedule because they forgot they're stupid, and forgot to keep their fucking mouths shut.  

And if you don't think that a huge chunk of folks that don't plan to take this vaccine are skipping it as one last Middle Finger to the rest of us because they didn't get their way earlier this year, you're stupid.  Taking their ball and going home, while the rest of us sit on our thumbs waiting to get above 65% threshold on herd immunity which is where we're gonna get stuck in a few months while the stupid people organize a parade. 

Edited by Lobo

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

^
Dude, where you live and work-mostly educated people there, right?.  Have you seen the polls about intent to take the vaccine when it's available to the rest of the masses?  The numbers are alarmingly low.  Much lower than even my worst fears.  As manufacturing increases across multiple companies and logistics are streamlined and improved by the Biden Administration, we could get to a pace in a few weeks that would have us "mostly open" by June/July.  However, I missed a meeting apparently, because there's now about 80 million Americans who'd rather sit at home with their dick in one hand and their KN95 mask in the other.  Because of these fucksticks growing in numbers as they keep believing each other's bullshit, we're now looking at September, at best.  

are you saying people that believe in the virus and actually take precautions (masking, SD) but don't want to get a vax?  seems off

I thought just the don't tread on me patriots and jenny mccarthy types were not getting the vax + people who don't trust docs

19 minutes ago, Lobo said:

^
Dude, where you live and work-mostly educated people there, right?.  Have you seen the polls about intent to take the vaccine when it's available to the rest of the masses?  The numbers are alarmingly low.  Much lower than even my worst fears.  As manufacturing increases across multiple companies and logistics are streamlined and improved by the Biden Administration, we could get to a pace in a few weeks that would have us "mostly open" by June/July.  However, I missed a meeting apparently, because there's now about 80 million Americans who'd rather sit at home with their dick in one hand and their KN95 mask in the other.  Because of these fucksticks growing in numbers as they keep believing each other's bullshit, we're now looking at September, at best.  It's just the way the math shakes out. 

It's 2021, I'm done with political divides, cultural divides, urban v. rural, college educated v. non-college educated, secular v. non-secular, etc.  All that shit that a handful of people insert as wedges to divide the other 330mm people in this country.  The predominant, overwhelming problem in this country that can account for everything shitty that's been on blast for the last 10+ years...is Stupidity.  Stupid people can be rich, they can be educated, and they're all over the socio-political spectrum.  And Stupidity has always been here but it was hidden, like cancer or homosexuality.  If you were stupid, odds are you probably knew it, you kept quiet about it, and you sure as shit didn't shout your thoughts on important matters from the rooftops.  But now the Stupid people not only don't think they're stupid anymore, they also think they should have significant input on the way things are done in this country including this vaccine.  Stupid People brought this virus to our shores, Stupid People let this virus rip through our country, Stupid People share in the blame for a half million Americans dead with their obtuse approach to mitigation, and Stupid People are gonna fuck up our herd immunity schedule because they forgot they're stupid, and forgot to keep their fucking mouths shut.  

And if you don't think that a huge chunk of folks that don't plan to take this vaccine are skipping it as one last Middle Finger to the rest of us because they didn't get their way earlier this year, you're stupid.  Taking their ball and going home, while the rest of us sit on our thumbs waiting to get above 65% threshold on herd immunity which is where we're gonna get stuck in a few months while the stupid people organize a parade. 

Biden isn't doing anything different that wasn't already in the plan.   apparently you aren't done with political divides per your post.  Oh yeah it would have helped if stupid people of a certain ilk hadn't SERIOUSLY questioned the vaccine because it was being fast tracked by the people they like to call stupid.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Both administrations have made mistakes with Covid-19 and the vaccine.  Both administrations made tremendous progress with Covid-19 and the vaccine.  We'll probably uncover more pros and cons about the last team and this current team has many more mistakes and successes to go before we're out of this mess.  The one constant through all of it is stupid people not taking the vaccine for stupid reasons and stalling out our herd immunity trajectory.  

42 minutes ago, Lobo said:

^

It's not stupidity per se, it's Empowered Stupidity.  

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, C-Man said:

As I mentioned had Pfizer #1 yesterday at around 11 AM. Felt fine but experienced very minor aches yesterday afternoon so I took some Tylenol and Advil. All good rest of the day. Started feeling iffy around 2 AM. By 5:30, I felt awful. Severe body aches and chills consistent with flu — and very similar to the worst I felt back when I had Covid last March. My wife brought me more Tylenol/Advil and I was able to get back to sleep. I seem to be better now but having a hard time getting out of bed.

My body does not appear to like this virus at all. Hoping #2 in three weeks isn’t as bad. Everybody else of our friends who took it yesterday are just fine. My shoulder is really sore.

I thought i'd read somewhere not to take pain relievers at the risk of dampening the effectiveness of the vaccine. 

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

^

spacer.png

26 minutes ago, Bottlecap said:

I thought i'd read somewhere not to take pain relievers at the risk of dampening the effectiveness of the vaccine. 

I just looked at the sheet they gave my wife when she got her shot this weekend and it says ibuprofen and acetaminophen are OK if your doctor approves. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, midtown said:

What I find so confusing is with this type of data continuing to emerge is why the talking heads continue to predict doom for years.  I get why the media does it but at some point someone has to start to talk about the good news and give pandemic fatigued people some hope.    I am pro rules, pro mask but to keep throwing out the "masks forever" is just dumb with this kind of data.   Either we believe in the science and the glory of these vaccines or we don't.  We are already fighting the anti-vax morons why give them more ammo?

Oh and FDA released JNJ results.   Solid. 

Totally agree.  The vaccines are awesome and there’s no benefit to keep acting like they’re not.  Paper from NEJM today shows Pfizer vaccine in Israel reduced asymptomatic infections by 90% one week and beyond 2nd dose.  Symptomatic infections at that point were basically nil.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2101765?query=featured_home

Fuck the masks forever crowd.  Vaccines are coming for you.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Totally agree.  The vaccines are awesome and there’s no benefit to keep acting like they’re not.  Paper from NEJM today shows Pfizer vaccine in Israel reduced asymptomatic infections by 90% one week and beyond 2nd dose.  Symptomatic infections at that point were basically nil.

Can we still make ugly people wear them?
  • Like 1

^

The good thing is, in public polls, the unsure answer is trending down. Better messaging would help a lot there. The absolutely not types are pretty level, and it’s largely - though absolutely worth noting not completely - along political partisan lines.

Like pretty much everything in this country, once that partisan line is drawn, there just isn’t going to be much you can do to move people off of it. So it goes.

12 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Like pretty much everything in this country, once that partisan line is drawn, there just isn’t going to be much you can do to move people off of it. So it goes.

Yep. And I just don't get it. I found an appt for my MAGA inlaws that are the definition of high risk 5 miles from them so as easy as it gets.  Although we knew the likely answer, I made my wife bug them.  She never got a response.   Just ridiculous but what can you do.

2 hours ago, Heme Doc said:

agreed and there was never a reason ever to act or state that there might be a issue with them.

7 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

I wonder if H‑E‑B will vaccinate more austinites in the next few weeks than APH has done to date. I don’t know anyone who has gotten vaccinated by APH but a dozen friends all got an appointment with H‑E‑B today.

Not only that, but you don’t have to deal with the logistical issues APH clearly is having. H‑E‑B has their shit together.

5 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

What is endpoint?

For the trials, the endpoint to date has largely been defined as symptomatic disease. There are reasons related to study design, logistics, and power that dictate. But the real relevant endpoints imo are hospitalization and death.  We look extremely good on those measures. 

Just now, Anastasis said:

For the trials, the endpoint to date has largely been defined as symptomatic disease. There are reasons related to study design, logistics, and power that dictate. But the real relevant endpoints imo are hospitalization and death.  We look extremely good on those measures. 

So help me understand what they mean when they say j&j vaccine is 65% effective and modern a is 95% effective. Those numbers imply much much better than that. Moderna had very few get covid that took the vaccine. 

8 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

So help me understand what they mean when they say j&j vaccine is 65% effective and modern a is 95% effective. Those numbers imply much much better than that. Moderna had very few get covid that took the vaccine. 

The primary endpoint for the studies is vaccine efficacy at preventing symptomatic COVID (at least for PFE and MRNA, I have still not read the JNJ data). Its a relative measure that contrasts event rate in active vs placebo group. I would argue that symptomatic disease is really only a surrogate study endpoint selected for statistical purposes. Not to diminish the relevance of symptomatic disease, but the real endpoints of interest are hospitalization and mortality. However you can't design a study around those endpoints wihtout setting up for failure or untenable sample size targets. All the vaccines appear to substantially reduce the risk of hospitalization and mortality. Get shots in arms. 

Edited by Anastasis
  • Like 1

The primary endpoint for the studies is vaccine efficacy at preventing symptomatic COVID (at least for PFE and MRNA, I have still not read the JNJ data). Its a relative measure that contrasts event rate in active vs placebo group. I would argue that symptomatic disease is really only a surrogate study endpoint selected for statistical purposes. Not to diminish the relevance of symptomatic disease, but the real endpoints of interest are hospitalization and mortality. However you can't design a study around those endpoints wihtout setting up for failure or untenable sample size targets. All the vaccines appear to substantially reduce the risk of hospitalization and mortality. Get shots in arms. 

Agreed. If vaccines can turn COVID into 1) a disease that isn’t that widespread and 2) when it does flare up, it affects people no worse than a regular cold....that’s a fucking Super Bowl World Cup World Series win. And it looks like that is indeed what they do. So....inject ERRBODY.
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Lobo said:

Both administrations have made mistakes with Covid-19 and the vaccine.  Both administrations made tremendous progress with Covid-19 and the vaccine.  We'll probably uncover more pros and cons about the last team and this current team has many more mistakes and successes to go before we're out of this mess.  The one constant through all of it is stupid people not taking the vaccine for stupid reasons and stalling out our herd immunity trajectory.  

Biden doesn't really have to do anything but manage the existing supply chain and we'll be fine.  I think people really overstate the anti vaxxers.  just like everything in the social media era a small group can appear large. 

18 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Wouldn't that hinder your body's ability to generate new antibodies and retain them, generally making vaccines moot for that person? 

reduced efficacy but not moot it seems

https://www.ajmc.com/view/taking-immunosuppressants-fauci-says-get-the-covid-19-vaccine

“It is clear that if you are on immunosuppressant agents, history tells us that you are not going to have as robust a response as if you had an intact immune system that was not being compromised,” Fauci said, in response to a question from ASH President Stephanie Lee, MD, of the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center, Seattle. “But some degree of immunity is better than no degree of immunity. So, for me, it would be recommended that these people do get vaccinated.”

• Hook 'Em 1