COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

5 hours ago, 4th and 5 said:

when did you start feeling bad in relation to the shot

Got the shot around 11 or so on Tuesday. I felt slight upper body aches that afternoon/evening but took Tylenol/Advil and seemed fine when I went to bed. I woke up early Wednesday (2 AM or so) and had full-on body aches and chills. I felt pretty crummy all day Wednesday and took Tylenol/Advil a few times. I was feeling a little better by the evening but was really, really tired. Went to bed much earlier than usual and then just couldn't get out of bed this AM. Was weak and fatigued all day today but around 5-6 this evening started feeling normal again. I'm still tired but I no longer feel sick.

So, as I stated earlier, I got my first at Kelly Reeves on 1/25. Some I know (same date for first shot) got a specific reschedule invite and got the second one yesterday. Others, like gsoda got an email with a master list of time slots by alphabet.

I got no emails at all. Same date, lack of emails, etc., for my mom and her husband. I guess I should show up anyway, or else possibly losing my second dose altogether?

So, as I stated earlier, I got my first at Kelly Reeves on 1/25. Some I know (same date for first shot) got a specific reschedule invite and got the second one yesterday. Others, like gsoda got an email with a master list of time slots by alphabet.

I got no emails at all. Same date, lack of emails, etc., for my mom and her husband. I guess I should show up anyway, or else possibly losing my second dose altogether?

Yes, show up anyway, if you got your shot there 1/20-1/26 you’re good if you bring your card and go today or tomorrow

10 hours ago, C-Man said:

Got the shot around 11 or so on Tuesday. I felt slight upper body aches that afternoon/evening but took Tylenol/Advil and seemed fine when I went to bed. I woke up early Wednesday (2 AM or so) and had full-on body aches and chills. I felt pretty crummy all day Wednesday and took Tylenol/Advil a few times. I was feeling a little better by the evening but was really, really tired. Went to bed much earlier than usual and then just couldn't get out of bed this AM. Was weak and fatigued all day today but around 5-6 this evening started feeling normal again. I'm still tired but I no longer feel sick.

you're not supposed to take advil though right? Is tylenol ok? 

4 hours ago, scottsins said:

yeah man just go.  

19 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Alert Houston?

I signed up for Alert Houston yesterday thanks to 3putt....got a text last night for 1800 spots opened and went on site to sign up.  Got through the whole thing for them to email me and say the time I selected is fully booked (bitch don't ask me to select a time just tell my ass when to be somewhere).  

This morning got another text saying there were some openings if I was interested to sign up.  Went back on the site and filled everything out and the locations were 4 clinics in the ghetto.  Picked one and have it set up for 1:10pm to get 1st dose.  

Edited by Scraps
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

I had signed us up on all sorts of sites - we're fully vaxxed now, but we got the notice to get an appointment in McLennan county yesterday, so things are opening up.

Yep. It’s a numbers game. Sign up for as many as you can and go to the first you get. 

Dallas (shockingly) apparently still has no real plan regarding Fair Park location.  Granted, not completely their fault with the weather last week, but I understand this week they were trying to only give people 2nd doses that were due last week (but no official appointments) so no way to know accurate numbers.  I think it has gone from being super busy/long waits at beginning of the week to currently a free for all.  I saw yesterday they had doses they needed to give so were giving them to anyone that showed up at the end of the day.  Now, I don't know the context (if my friend heard from others or is there volunteering or what), but just got a group text message to head down to Fair Park as no lines and just giving shots out.   I've already had dose 1 but if anyone in Dallas reading may be able to head down there (although who knows when they might run out).

Edited by Skipper

47 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Do they give it to you in a wax paper cup? 

No, they deep fry the vaccination around a long tongue depressor and shove it up your ass.  Mustard is optional.  

Just finished a volunteer shift at the vac hub. Happy to report this was the busiest day I’ve been a part of. Not sure about the specifics, but my guess is that appointments are ramping up along with supply.

A lot of people I talked to received their vaccination appointment just yesterday after lengthy waits on multiple lists. Man, were they happy. 

One individual seemed particularly flustered due to “friends” trying to convince him NOT to get vaccinated because of Bill Gates microchips. Yeah... you’re doing the right thing pal. I’m pretty sure your friends are a little out there. 

• Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, StruggleBus said:

Has there been anything shown to mess up vaccine response? Assuming I shouldn't pound thirty beers the night I get the second dose but would be curious if there is anything I should stay away from. 

Unless you have a poor underlying immune system or are on significant immunosuppressants then most people will be okay and mount a good response. Olds will fare a little poorer bc their immune system is not optimal. They do say not to drink after vaccine for a few days but this has mainly due to side effects not efficacy. YMMV.

Is there any official stance on those not being in phase 1a/1b getting the vaccine?  I’m definitely general public and have some qualms about getting shot before it’s my “turn”. Was just curious if I have missed any announcements or some such about opening things up for general population. 

2 hours ago, texhorn said:

Same yesterday. Just pulled right up without a wait.

Probably because they fucked up and 75% of people didn’t get the email notification.

Friends and I who got the first dose on Feb. 1 still haven't gotten an email about the second dose, so I'm probably just going to show up next week with my vaccine card and see if they turn me away.

35 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

Is there any official stance on those not being in phase 1a/1b getting the vaccine?  I’m definitely general public and have some qualms about getting shot before it’s my “turn”. Was just curious if I have missed any announcements or some such about opening things up for general population. 

Pretty sure Anastasis is the arbiter of the Surly official vaccine guidelines

@Anastasis

17 hours ago, C-Man said:

Yes, I had full-blown COVID in March 2020.

I've read that people that have had COVID tend to have a strong reaction to the vaccine, even the first one.  Some have said they felt as sick as when they contracted COVID but it just didn't last as long. 

I had COVID in mid-December so I am waiting until the end of March to think about getting vaccinated. Hopefully there will be more information about some of this stuff by then.  I am seriously considering just getting one shot, depending on how I react to the first one.

31 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

huge and perfect for the non 1A and 1B group 

For me the bigger question is if JNJ halts transmission like the Pfizer seems to do.  If it does.  Save those for anyone who is in a high contact professions.  Service industry, retail employees, teachers who are not fat so like a few hundred teachers. 

1 hour ago, sunset87 said:

I've read that people that have had COVID tend to have a strong reaction to the vaccine, even the first one.  Some have said they felt as sick as when they contracted COVID but it just didn't last as long. 

I had COVID in mid-December so I am waiting until the end of March to think about getting vaccinated. Hopefully there will be more information about some of this stuff by then.  I am seriously considering just getting one shot, depending on how I react to the first one.

Hang on for Johnson & Johnson's vaccine then.

I got my shot through a friend of my wife's network of friends. It's amazing they held out getting COVID as long as they did -- they have serious FOMO and reckless attitudes -- but it all worked through them in mid/late December. None had serious cases at all and none had any adverse reaction to the shot. Meanwhile, even though I didn't think my case was overly severe at the time -- I mean people were dying left and right it seemed -- and we had no good ideas of how to treat bad cases, I guess mine was more serious than I gave it credit for. I was pretty much wiped out for three weeks and had 4-5 days of serious flu-like symptoms in the middle but it was never obvious enough (no fever) to go get tested (even if I could've gotten one then).