COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

Got my second dose of the Moderna vac yesterday around 3pm and holy shit did this thing suck. I got the 1st dose 5 weeks ago and other than some tenderness at the injection site, I had no issues. I preemptively took some advil right after I got it because I still had some projects at work to wrap up yesterday afternoon. My arm was way more sore last night than before but was feeling ok when I went to bed. I woke up this morning with a 100.2 fever, body aches, chills, lymphnodes in my neck all swollen and a nasty headache. Shit felt like the flu. I'm starting to feel more human tonight but it thoroughly kicked my ass.

Edited by Hmbre97
  • Hook 'Em 1

My wife had her first Covid clinic at her pharmacy today. She only did 10 patients and had 1 no show but was able to vaccinate someone who came with another person signed up for the vaccine. The paperwork sounds like it’s a pain in the ass but she’s happy to get the first round done. She did mention that when they shipped her vaccine, they sent the first and second doses for everyone. I thought that was a bit odd with the chances of some idiot fucking up and taking it out of the freezer, but at least she doesn’t have to worry about getting it and getting people scheduled.

They had 2 people giving shots at the cvs in Dripping. Each was doing a shot every few minutes, around 40 people an hour.

Yeah. The 2/hour is for the four locations getting J&J soon. Other locations have an extra person just for vaccines currently,
Doing the Pfizer and Moderna

*. I believe that starting next week, those “full blown” locations will be having appointment availability 7 days/week.

I’m hearing that the direct supply line from the manufacturers to providers has been a huge improvement over the way things were being done before 1/6/21. /noCR
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Do most of you fall in 1b?  I’m 54 and don’t have any of the typical comorbidity conditions, but a couple that aren’t listed.  I’ve been tempted to try and make an appointment but don’t have any documentation from a doctor that I’m eligible.

You don’t need that shit in most cases. I think I read somewhere that in Texas they can’t ask for information to document your 1b status because of HIPPA, not sure if that’s accurate or not though. 

Make them tell you no, IMO.

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, midtown said:

Yes.  You should.

What's your reasoning?  Here are the reasons I could think of to justify it to myself. 

- There is more supply than current demand and Texas is flubbing this thing. Me getting a vaccine is not taking away from someone else. 

- Texas and the CDC got it wrong, there should be no priorities.

- Everyone else is ignoring the guidelines, I might as well too.

Edited by BillyBadAss

I signed up for Alert Houston yesterday thanks to 3putt....got a text last night for 1800 spots opened and went on site to sign up.  Got through the whole thing for them to email me and say the time I selected is fully booked (bitch don't ask me to select a time just tell my ass when to be somewhere).  

This morning got another text saying there were some openings if I was interested to sign up.  Went back on the site and filled everything out and the locations were 4 clinics in the ghetto.  Picked one and have it set up for 1:10pm to get 1st dose.  

Yeah I was surprised to see I got a text the same day as signing up. I didn’t see it until like an hour later so I didn’t even bother trying to sign up. Also I’m not 1B so not sure they’d even let me, and not real motivated to jump the line as long as these spots are getting filled. Better if people older than me get it.

They don't give a fuck. At this point jump the line. My 42 yr old really good friend with no underlying health issues died from complications of this shit in january so I don't give a damn anymore. If there are spots available then whoever is hustling to get the shot should get it.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Have to disagree there pretty strongly. The risk factor for seniors is way different than it is for normal folks. It probably should have just been rolled out by age with some limited exceptions for healthcare workers and first responders. If we want schools reopened as smoothly as possible I think it’s reasonable to prioritize teachers too.
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I think it’s reasonable to prioritize teachers too.

We have to because apparently teachers can't seem to keep themselves from gathering with families and groups on weekends and in the teacher lounges.    Unless someone has some different information everything I've read says in school transmission or transmission from kids to teachers is very low.   If a teacher is 1A or 1B then by all means.

11 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Have to disagree there pretty strongly.

To clarify, I didn't state those as things I think are true, rather I was trying to think of reasons one could justify to themselves jumping the line.  I haven't gotten there myself yet, but if it's just become a free for all I might be close.

Just now, BillyBadAss said:

To clarify, I didn't state those as things I think are true, rather I was trying to think of reasons one could justify to themselves jumping the line.  I haven't gotten there myself yet, but if it's just become a free for all I might be close.

Are you a lawyer or non-lawyer? That makes a difference

• Like 2

We have to because apparently teachers can't seem to keep themselves from gathering with families and groups on weekends and in the teacher lounges.    Unless someone has some different information everything I've read says in school transmission or transmission from kids to teachers is very low.   If a teacher is 1A or 1B then by all means.

Yeah, I mean, I didn’t say in order to reopen schools at all (most are open here in TX AFAIK), I said as smoothly as possible. You’ve gone out of the way to blast teachers a couple times in this thread so we’ll just have to chalk this up to a weird personal grudge.

Fair for sure. If offered I wouldn’t turn down. I think anyone can come up with a justifiable reason to get it - every shot is a good shot, even if some make more difference than others. Not quite sure I’m at the bust my ass to jump the line stage yet but if it becomes open season in practice even while 1B is still the policy then that’s different. Have to see how it goes as the backlog from the freeze subsides.

31 minutes ago, Scraps said:

They don't give a fuck. At this point jump the line. My 42 yr old really good friend with no underlying health issues died from complications of this shit in january so I don't give a damn anymore. If there are spots available then whoever is hustling to get the shot should get it.

Jesus. I’m sorry man. 

• Like 1

My wife just got the second Moderna shot this this morning.  As far as we know she never had COVID, so if she's going to have any issues, we'd expect it from shot#2.  Her first one caused no issues at all, only a little mild pain at the injection site on day2. 

She's a PT doing outpatient physical therapy in close contact with patients all day, every day, so I'm glad she got hers.  I work from home with very few risk factors, so I'm happy to wait until more critical folks have had theirs.

57 minutes ago, BillyBadAss said:

What's your reasoning?  Here are the reasons I could think of to justify it to myself. 

- There is more supply than current demand and Texas is flubbing this thing. Me getting a vaccine is not taking away from someone else. 

- Everyone else is ignoring the guidelines, I might as well too.

I can't justify it to myself because of how low my risk profile is and how I can work from home. However I think we'll be close to the first reasoning by the end of March/early April. It already seems like vaccine availability has jumped in the last 2 weeks, that should accelerate.

33 minutes ago, midtown said:

this is my understanding too. I don't think they should be prioritized over seniors but I think they should/would be "Frontline workers" in class 1c. Unfortunately it gets a bit cloak roomy with some teacher's unions, but I think coming availability will soon make it less of an issue.

Edited by Viper

My second dose was yesterday at 1pm. Overnight I had a fever, body aches, and chills followed a few hours later by my fever breaking. The injection site is tender and sore and radiates from my elbow to my neck. I usually never get sore from shots. Woke up this morning to a hangover type headache. I'm glad this only lasts for 24 hours.

6 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

You left off in terms of your reason to jump line that like 40% or so of Americans have said they won’t get vaccine. 

Those 40% aren't in the line. 

It's still difficult-ish to get an appointment (I think). You can hustle and get one, but there are few if any appt slots going unfilled. (If I'm wrong here let me know, it changes the calculus a bit*)

I'd conclude one of two things is happening:

1) There are still many legit 1B'ers trying to get appts and get the vaccine. 

2) Most legit 1B'ers (who wanted it) have gotten it now, and the people taking the slots are not legit 1B. 

If (1) is the case, I'd be selfish to take a slot from someone who needs it more. If (2) I'd be a sucker for trying to act for the greater good/fairness when many people are not. 

*If slots are going unfilled I'd be in the "screw it, every shot is a good shot" camp. 

• Like 1

If we’re really about to have 140 million moderna and Pfizer doses and 20 million J&J doses in the next 4 weeks, I don’t think there’s going to be much skipping the line. There’s going to be doses everywhere. 

We definitely aren’t seeing that quantity from J&J any time soon

The concept of “jumping the line” doesn’t really apply here in my opinion. Why? Because every person who gets vaccinated, young, old, healthy, obese, is one fewer person who can pass the disease to others. Every young healthy person “jumping the line” right now is somewhat beneficial to the rest of society.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

My parents and PiLs are between 60-63 and don’t QUITE meet the underlying conditions criteria (although my FiL has chrones and I don’t think he’d make it if he got it). Both sets live in areas that haven’t moved to them being able to sign up. My bil and sil however, mid 30s, great health, were able to cut in line in center Texas and drove 6 hours. Things like that piss me off. After frontline workers, it should just be age based and a DL or some other documents to prove it.  

Edited by UT_OB1

Texas Week 12 is out:

https://www.dshs.state.tx.us/news/updates/COVIDVaccineAllocation-Week12.pdf

In Travis Co, APH stays the same at 12k.  UT ramping up, now over 9k shots per week.  Seton really back in the game with 14k Moderna.  This is the first week that Travis Co's first shot weekly allocation has cleared the bar to vaccinate everyone over 16 in six months.  Some other counties in central Texas are pretty far behind, particularly Bastrop, so these extra shots should help the region catch up with state averages.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, XYZ said:

The concept of “jumping the line” doesn’t really apply here in my opinion. Why? Because every person who gets vaccinated, young, old, healthy, obese, is one fewer person who can pass the disease to others. Every young healthy person “jumping the line” right now is somewhat beneficial to the rest of society.

That's are defendable position, but it's not what the CDC has recommended nor that the State of Texas has adopted. They defined higher risk categories and prioritized those people to receive the vaccine first. There is indeed a "line", and if you get a vaccine during the 1B phase without a 1B criterion then you are jumping ahead in it. 

An apt analogy might be:

I might think it's dumb that First Class passengers board the plane first as it doesn't help the plane load faster - studies have shown that a random boarding pattern is most efficient. But if I in in boarding group C and I board with first class then I've jumped ahead of my place in line. I might feel or even be justified in doing so - but it doesn't change the fact. 

Scheduled to get 2nd shot of Pfizer this afternoon.

First shot gave me a pretty severe reaction. Fever up to 103 up to 48 hours after the shot.

I had a follow up with my GP and she said to go ahead with the 2nd shot.

Some thoughts on this forum and medical journals said its not necessary.

I thought about going to get a rapid antibody test today, but I wouldn't know what I'm looking at.

24 minutes ago, BillyBadAss said:

That's are defendable position, but it's not what the CDC has recommended nor that the State of Texas has adopted. They defined higher risk categories and prioritized those people to receive the vaccine first. There is indeed a "line", and if you get a vaccine during the 1B phase without a 1B criterion then you are jumping ahead in it. 

An apt analogy might be:

I might think it's dumb that First Class passengers board the plane first as it doesn't help the plane load faster - studies have shown that a random boarding pattern is most efficient. But if I in in boarding group C and I board with first class then I've jumped ahead of my place in line. I might feel or even be justified in doing so - but it doesn't change the fact. 

I think you’re best off waiting. Nobody here is going to change your mind.

If Texas was serious about prioritizing 1b they should have done something about it. I qualify for 1b, but I would have gotten the shot now whether I did or not. 

Either way, the cat is already out of the bag. Shit tons of people that don’t qualify are getting the shot. It doesn’t bother me personally because I want as many vaccinated as possible. Maybe I’m just an asshole.

Edited by StruggleBus

18 minutes ago, Pablo said:

First shot gave me a pretty severe reaction. Fever up to 103 up to 48 hours after the shot.

I thought about going to get a rapid antibody test today, but I wouldn't know what I'm looking at.

Did you have covid?

18 hours ago, sunset87 said:

I've read that people that have had COVID tend to have a strong reaction to the vaccine, even the first one.  Some have said they felt as sick as when they contracted COVID but it just didn't last as long. 

I had COVID in mid-December so I am waiting until the end of March to think about getting vaccinated. Hopefully there will be more information about some of this stuff by then.  I am seriously considering just getting one shot, depending on how I react to the first one.

I got mine yesterday around noon.  Had Covid around new years. Was fine but got really, really tired after POLL baseball and dinner with one beer at Ninfa's after.  Was in bed by 9 and woke up at 8, which is much later than normal for me. Feel fine now but that shot did make me very sleepy. Arm is sore.

Just get shots in arms.  You make the criteria too stringent and it slows shit down.  Anyone that wants a vaccine can get one if they have a computer and are willing to spend 15 minutes hitting refresh and willing to drive up to an hour for an appointment. It took maybe 5 minutes to sign up.

At this point it should be shots in the arm.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

It doesn’t bother me personally because I want as many vaccinated as possible. Maybe I’m just an asshole.

Your logic is flawed unless there are slots that would go unfilled if only 1B'ers were able to take them. If all the slots are filled by 1B'ers then the maximum number of people that can be vaccinated are being vaccinated.  If all the slots aren't able to be filled by 1B'ers, then it's a different story. 

We can argue whether there should be people prioritized, whether we're justified in ignoring those priorities, whether it's in the greater good or not - and in fact that's what I'm trying to grapple with. It's difficult to argue that jumping ahead in line is not jumping ahead in line - cause logic and stuff. 

7 minutes ago, BillyBadAss said:

Your logic is flawed unless there are slots that would go unfilled if only 1B'ers were able to take them. If all the slots are filled by 1B'ers then the maximum number of people that can be vaccinated are being vaccinated.  If all the slots aren't able to be filled by 1B'ers, then it's a different story. 

We can argue whether there should be people prioritized, whether we're justified in ignoring those priorities, whether it's in the greater good or not - and in fact that's what I'm trying to grapple with. It's difficult to argue that jumping ahead in line is not jumping ahead in line - cause logic and stuff. 

I’m not arguing with you. I think you should wait because it will make you feel better.

19 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

I’m not arguing with you. I think you should wait because it will make you feel better.

I didn't plan to wait because it will make me feel good. I planned to wait because I thought it was the right thing to do. 

It certainly doesn't make me feel good to know that many people will be safer more quickly than I will be based (in many cases) on them being more selfish than I am. That makes me feel kind of like a sucker, honestly. 

Hopefully this will all be a mute point very soon - supply will catch up and we can all go on with our lives. 

2 hours ago, LurkingHorn said:

If we’re really about to have 140 million moderna and Pfizer doses and 20 million J&J doses in the next 4 weeks, I don’t think there’s going to be much skipping the line. There’s going to be doses everywhere. 

If that number is accurate, then the limiting factor will move from manufacturing to distribution to delivery. 

It seems there is a second category for 1b eligibility in Texas - selfish people who know they are not requiring documentation.  Am I wrong? Should we all ignore the guidelines and sign up anyway?

Those “selfish” people’s actions provide a great benefit to basically everyone, since they won’t be spreading this.

9 minutes ago, midtown said:

Whoat.  Which rapid antibody did you get?   Are you thinking that the first shot gave those positive tests or do you think you had asymptomatic covid when you got your shot?

I’m not entirely sure what those results mean.  Just reading more about them now. 

I had some really nasty stuff in January of 2020.  Tested negative for flu. Didn’t know about the loss of senses at the time but I don’t remember having that or noticing that  

post lockdown I was fairly safe, always masked up, avoided crowds   Riskiest behavior was eating lunch inside with coworkers but never had any obvious symptoms.  

had 1st vax shot 3 weeks ago and was scheduled for 2nd today but thinking about skipping it altogether now  

My test was the Covid Healgen test at AnyLabTestNow. 

Edited by Pablo
Add test type

Just get the second fucking shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1