COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

Different scenario here in a rural area, but here’s the situation here locally:

Vax distributions are allocated by county and implemented by government facilities, in our case 2 hospitals(though the place it is happening isn’t the hospitals themselves).  There’s a chart on the state health site showing delivery amounts and dates. My county has been getting 990 Pfizer 1st shots biweekly since mid January. 

county data:  30k residents. Remove the under 16s and I’ll drop it to 28k. Half have said they won’t get it at all, or will wait for more info. So now we are at 14k.  At our stage 1b, it’s 70 and older plus certain essential and/or customer facing jobs, and healthcare workers. 

my question to the county medical officer a couple of weeks ago was hey does 3000 shots not get us through that small group of 1a and b, when only 14k are eligible and also want the shot?

answer I got back is we still have a lot of over 70 to go. I didn’t press him further, but that math does not make sense to me. 

since then they’ve expanded 1b to 65+ and also a list of comorbidities. 

and it’s not like there’s a lot of people in the surrounding counties that would come in to get it. 

you’d think that in a system like this, they would have some public info of how many 1a and 1b there are and how many of them are expected to want the vaccine, and at least let us make some guesses as to when the county will progress to the next stage. 

5 hours ago, Pablo said:

I’m not entirely sure what those results mean.  Just reading more about them now. 

I had some really nasty stuff in January of 2020.  Tested negative for flu. Didn’t know about the loss of senses at the time but I don’t remember having that or noticing that  

post lockdown I was fairly safe, always masked up, avoided crowds   Riskiest behavior was eating lunch inside with coworkers but never had any obvious symptoms.  

had 1st vax shot 3 weeks ago and was scheduled for 2nd today but thinking about skipping it altogether now  

My test was the Covid Healgen test at AnyLabTestNow. 

You just got the vaccine, of course you have antibodies now, that's the point of taking the vaccine. 

Edited by Viper
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

If that number is accurate, then the limiting factor will move from manufacturing to distribution to delivery. 

That was always going to switch at some point. But like the supply issue, we’ll find a way to get better at delivery. J&J will certainly help the cause there. We need to be finding ways to do this 24/7. Once supply issue is resolved, there should be no closing of any hubs. 

Just got results from a rapid antibody test 
IgG: presumptive postive
IgM: presumptive positive
Guess I can skip vax shot #2
I'm highly skeptical of anyone in the states having covid before March. It doesn't make sense it spread undetected for another three months. There was a nasty adenovirus going around from November to april. You probably had that. Get your second shot.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:
2 hours ago, Pablo said:

I'm highly skeptical of anyone in the states having covid before March. It doesn't make sense it spread undetected for another three months. There was a nasty adenovirus going around from November to april. You probably had that. Get your second shot.

While it wasn’t widespread at that point it was almost certainly here before then.

This.

Pablo, what’s the downside of getting the second shot? You feel like shit for a day again?

10 minutes ago, scottsins said:

This.

Pablo, what’s the downside of getting the second shot? You feel like shit for a day again?

I know, I sound like a bitch right now. 

BCM called me back and I rescheduled for this coming Saturday, they also said if I had concerns I could speak to a vaccination nurse this week.

I was pointed to an article on another post, right after my first shot after severe symptoms:  https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.01.29.21250653v1.full-text

If I don't need to get a 2nd shot, that's 1 more for someone else.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gsoda3 said:
2 hours ago, Pablo said:

Really?  There are verified results. The first death has been confirmed to be in February in Cali from someone who had not been traveling. They got it in the wild in Cali. Its a fact at this point that people had it in January here. 

Edit - the person didn’t die til the first week of Feb

Edited by UT_OB1

Really?  There are verified results. The first death has been confirmed to be in February in Cali from someone who had not been traveling. They got it in the wild in Cali. Its a fact at this point that people had it in January here. 

A better way to put it would be: the actual number of people who had COVID pre-March

BCM called me back and I rescheduled for this coming Saturday, they also said if I had concerns I could speak to a vaccination nurse this week.
I was pointed to an article on another post, right after my first shot after severe symptoms:  https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.01.29.21250653v1.full-text

Might be something to that, but it’s a preprint, so, if it were me, I would just go with the data consensus.

I do get your point about opening up that dose for someone else, but I’m an asshole, so I would ignore that nagging altruism feeling.

49 minutes ago, Pablo said:

If you have had covid you only really need one shot in the near term.  The boost can be delayed while others get their shot. But we are so fucking dysfunctional that we can't really implement a coherent vax strategy, so fuck it just put as many shots in arms as possible. 

• Like 2

What's your reasoning?  Here are the reasons I could think of to justify it to myself. 
- There is more supply than current demand and Texas is flubbing this thing. Me getting a vaccine is not taking away from someone else. 
- Texas and the CDC got it wrong, there should be no priorities.
- Everyone else is ignoring the guidelines, I might as well too.

I thought to myself, "who is the oldest old I know that can barely use a computer? Someone who probably thinks the CD Rom is a cupholder? Once that person is able to get signed up and vaccinated, I feel morally safe getting my shot"

Then Armybrat posted pics of him getting vaccinated. Scheduled my shot that day.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

If you’ve had a first shot, We Are Blood includes Covid antibody testing with each donation.  I donate every 8 weeks, last time in early January.  Scheduled to donate next Thursday which coincides with the three week timepoint since my first shot.  Results posted on their portal within 48 hours.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UT_OB1 said:

i stand corrected, i hadn't heard the early feb date.  looks like there was community spread in santa clara county (CA) since maybe mid january.  

The new information on COVID-19 deaths suggests the virus had been spreading for at least 2 to 3 weeks in Santa Clara prior to early February. Even though cities and regions in California were some of the first in the country to shelter in place—by mid-March—those orders likely came 4 to 6 weeks after the virus was seeded in communities.

21 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

ou’d think that in a system like this, they would have some public info of how many 1a and 1b there are and how many of them are expected to want the vaccine, and at least let us make some guesses as to when the county will progress to the next stage. 

Some of the data you want is here:

https://www.dshs.texas.gov/immunize/covid19/COVID-19-Vaccine-Data-by-County.xls

You can see how many 1A and 1B, total allocations, people with one shot and fully vaccinated, over 65, people with a medical condition, all broken down by county.

• Hook 'Em 1

If that works well, we (the world) are going to have to grow a lot more food.  I can't imagine the economic changes that would bring.
Africa has ssslllooowwwlllyyy pulled its collective head out of its butt in the last 20 years. As it is, they're fixing to become a real player. A cure for malaria would only accelerate it. Very good thing.

Regarding the, "We're gonna hafta grow more food thing," that's true. Been true since forever ago. And Africa has it in them to dramatically improve their production. And do it sustainably.
  • Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, NAVY said:

UT vax hub is scaling up to 3k a day. Previous high is 1.5 

What's the demographic like at the UT site?  Average age and obvious co-morbidity or not?  I am registered with UT and willing to wait my turn but it would be nice to know how they are selecting people and about what age they are currently inviting, so that I could judge my place in line.

2 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Africa has ssslllooowwwlllyyy pulled its collective head out of its butt in the last 20 years. As it is, they're fixing to become a real player. A cure for malaria would only accelerate it. Very good thing.

Regarding the, "We're gonna hafta grow more food thing," that's true. Been true since forever ago. And Africa has it in them to dramatically improve their production. And do it sustainably.

Good thing this global warming is creating more farmable land

7 hours ago, Texas Jeff said:

What's the demographic like at the UT site?  Average age and obvious co-morbidity or not?  I am registered with UT and willing to wait my turn but it would be nice to know how they are selecting people and about what age they are currently inviting, so that I could judge my place in line.

I have no real data, but what I've observed would fall into what you would expect for 1A and 1B. Many older folks with a sprinkle of other. 

• Hook 'Em 1

SIAP. Are y’all aware of the Dr B set up? My wife passed it along to me. Came from her friends group. You sign up and get notified of situations where there is leftover vaccine within your zip code. You have to respond to the notification within 15 mins, I think, and be able to be at the place within two hours but might be a way to get vaccine if you’re not able now.

https://hidrb.com/?fbclid=IwAR1UzuE302YXtS4xKla_D9oe5PCLlYSlZGiSaf_2D9hgg6cAjUOtBBklK38

• Hook 'Em 1

Here's a look at the Texas vaccine allocation vs reality through the end of February.  Solid lines show what was allocated, dashed lines show what actually happened.  Allocations run ahead of shots.  You can see that Texas was catching up with the allocated amounts through mid Feb, got knocked back by the storm, but is now getting back on track.

CovidVaxAlloc022821.jpg

2 minutes ago, Texas Jeff said:

Currently 39% of Texans 65+ have had a 1st shot.

Uggh... So of the 61% remaining, how many have no intention of getting it? How many are on waitlists? How many want one but have no idea how to do it and have no help? (I'm guessing that's the biggest segment)

But also... at what point do we have to wait for that last segment to get theirs? Is it more beneficial for them if those of us who can just go get our shit done quickly get it now? 

24 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

Uggh... So of the 61% remaining, how many have no intention of getting it? How many are on waitlists? How many want one but have no idea how to do it and have no help? (I'm guessing that's the biggest segment)

But also... at what point do we have to wait for that last segment to get theirs? Is it more beneficial for them if those of us who can just go get our shit done quickly get it now? 

My parents are heavily anti-vax as of the last few years.  Mom is early 70s, Dad is early 80s.  She’s in good health, however Dad has had some challenges with strokes over the last few years. Both of them should be getting but I can’t get them to listen.  

28 minutes ago, Pablo said:

My parents are heavily anti-vax as of the last few years.  Mom is early 70s, Dad is early 80s.  She’s in good health, however Dad has had some challenges with strokes over the last few years. Both of them should be getting but I can’t get them to listen.  

not trying to be a dick but anyone who is anti-vax, regardless of age, I hope dies from this shit. 

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

At this point every 1B I know is either waiting on shot 2 or done.  Now I just want my 15 year old kids vaccinated so they can go back to regular school. I don’t get why school kids weren’t intended to be the next group up.

Should be meds then olds then teachers and kids then fatties and the rest. 

I mean who else spends that many hours per day in smallish rooms with that many other people? 

2 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

At this point every 1B I know is either waiting on shot 2 or done.  Now I just want my 15 year old kids vaccinated so they can go back to regular school. I don’t get why school kids weren’t intended to be the next group up.

Should be meds then olds then teachers and kids then fatties and the rest. 

I mean who else spends that many hours per day in smallish rooms with that many other people? 

Neither vaccine has been cleared for kids. 

• Like 2