COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

30 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

At this point every 1B I know is either waiting on shot 2 or done.  Now I just want my 15 year old kids vaccinated so they can go back to regular school. I don’t get why school kids weren’t intended to be the next group up.

Should be meds then olds then teachers and kids then fatties and the rest. 

I mean who else spends that many hours per day in smallish rooms with that many other people? 

27 minutes ago, Deej said:

Neither vaccine has been cleared for kids. 

because they're the least susceptible group, something close to 0 have died or been seriously ill. It's much easier and efficient to vaccinate the teachers.       

19 minutes ago, Deej said:

Neither vaccine has been cleared for kids. 

That’s my point, excluding the obvious “teachers”.  

Explain to me why:

(1) testing on kids didn’t even start until December at the earliest, when herd immunity absolutely requires children be vaccinated since they are roughly 27% of the population 

(2) why the cutoff is at 16 of all ages-what magically happens at 16 (especially given that the science shows that at *roughly* 14 and up the spread is equivalent to adults).  21 I would get. 16 feels made up and random.  I get that they didn’t test anyone under 16 but does that mean that if my kids are 8 hours before their 16th birthday they should expect a different outcome?  

(3) (the really political one) why we think the most important thing of all things is to reopen schools if we made no attempt to prioritize people in schools for vaccination (and still haven’t).  

It all seems formalistic and nonsensical.  

54 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Now I just want my 15 year old kids vaccinated so they can go back to regular school. I don’t get why school kids weren’t intended to be the next group up.

Why do your kids need to be vaccinated to go back to school?  School transmission is almost non-existent.  

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, StruggleBus said:

Yeah. My parents and grandparents were all on waitlists. If you know any old that need it just do it for them.

That’s what my niece did for my 82 year old Luddite brother & wife. They got their shots Friday at CVS in P-ville.

38 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

That’s my point, excluding the obvious “teachers”.  

Explain to me why:

(1) testing on kids didn’t even start until December at the earliest, when herd immunity absolutely requires children be vaccinated since they are roughly 27% of the population 

(2) why the cutoff is at 16 of all ages-what magically happens at 16 (especially given that the science shows that at *roughly* 14 and up the spread is equivalent to adults).  21 I would get. 16 feels made up and random.  I get that they didn’t test anyone under 16 but does that mean that if my kids are 8 hours before their 16th birthday they should expect a different outcome?  

(3) (the really political one) why we think the most important thing of all things is to reopen schools if we made no attempt to prioritize people in schools for vaccination (and still haven’t).  

It all seems formalistic and nonsensical.  

Because 1) the disease don't affect kids hardly at all, and 2) getting parental consent and the regulations associated with including children in testing would have pushed the approval of the vaccines back by months costing thousands of more lives. In all likelihood the vaccines are fine for kids, but there was little need for them and a very high cost to test

Edited by Viper
  • Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Viper said:

Because 1) the disease don't affect kids hardly at all, and 2) getting parental consent and the regulations associated with including children in testing would have pushed the approval of the vaccines back by months costing thousands of more lives. In all likelihood the vaccines are fine for kids, but there was little need for them and a very high cost to test

1. Vaccinate teachers NOW. 

2. For kids, the whole discussion is only half the picture.  Let’s leave aside shit like co-morbidities and the incredibly rare MIS-C, which is horrible and terrifying and only happens to kids.  Kids above about 13 catch and spread the disease at the same rate roughly as adults.  They just have less symptoms.    They tend to live with non-vaccinated adults.  Sometimes they live with babies, who are actually more susceptible than adults to serious illness. 

3.  The low transmission rates touted in schools have generally been examples of very controlled conditions (small class sizes, well-ventilated rooms, etc.) that are difficult to scale up to large urban school districts.  

As an example, NYT (a huge cheerleader for reopening) had some stupid AR infographic this morning that showed how schools could reopen with open windows, new airflow systems in each classroom and class sizes of 9 kids in existing rooms intended for 20-30 kids.  At least two of those things are pretty unlikely at scale.  How do you double or triple the number of teachers?  Who pays for the per-room vent system?  For that matter, who unseals all the windows?

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/02/26/science/reopen-schools-safety-ventilation.html?campaign_id=9&emc=edit_nn_20210228&instance_id=27598&nl=the-morning&regi_id=115763618&segment_id=52539&te=1&user_id=52582b04c3b92afd841aaf462e715115

2 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I will never understand why teachers weren't in 1A or 1B. It was just dumb. 

Yup. Every teacher who wanted one should have had one by now. Seems like it would have been pretty easy for the state to deliver the doses to each district and let them handle it from there. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

Yup. Every teacher who wanted one should have had one by now. Seems like it would have been pretty easy for the state to deliver the doses to each district and let them handle it from there. 

I doubt many, if any, districts have the ability to store them at storage conditions. But yes teachers should have been in the same tier as health workers. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I will never understand why teachers weren't in 1A or 1B. It was just dumb. 

Because teaching itself is not a high transmission job.   If teacher really cared about their students they wouldn't go to family gatherings, bars, and hanging out in the teachers lounge and contracting covid.   Having said that.  It's clear we need to vaccinate them so they will agree to do their jobs. 

• Fuck You 2

10 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I'll never understand why grocery store check out clerks weren't in 1B. They by far cross the most groups of disassociated people. They would have to be involved in every positive tracing case.

Anyone who can't work from home and interacts with large numbers of people should have been moved to the front of the line. Store clerks, construction workers, etc. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, midtown said:

Because teaching itself is not a high transmission job.   If teacher really cared about their students they wouldn't go to family gatherings, bars, and hanging out in the teachers lounge and contracting covid.   Having said that.  It's clear we need to vaccinate them so they will agree to do their jobs. 

This is an extremely cunty post. Teachers should have been prioritized without question. 

• Hook 'Em 5

Anyone who can't work from home and interacts with large numbers of people should have been moved to the front of the line. Store clerks, construction workers, etc. 
Thats another reason i started to give 0 fucks about 1A/1B shit. I have been working as normal since May doing restaurant inspections, environmental complaints, new construction inspections etc. I took every precaution I personally could over the past year to not get it and still work. I wasn't waiting any longer.
  • Hook 'Em 4

We love our essential workers. Thank you teachers and retail workers, you are our heroes, you kept society running while we sat in our McMansions and Zoomed about synergy and low hanging fruit. Now get to the back of the fucking vaccine line, bitch!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

13 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

Uggh... So of the 61% remaining, how many have no intention of getting it? How many are on waitlists? How many want one but have no idea how to do it and have no help? (I'm guessing that's the biggest segment)

But also... at what point do we have to wait for that last segment to get theirs? Is it more beneficial for them if those of us who can just go get our shit done quickly get it now? 

It'll be interesting to see when they open up vaccinations to everyone and what % of olds have gotten the shot.  My guess is we will be lucky to get 65% participation in olds, and their refusal will delay millions of younger people getting the vaccine by a few weeks, resulting in a few thousand unnecessary deaths.  History is going to heavily vilify Boomers.

I'm sure a lot of us are struggling with when to sign up.  I am waiting on them to open it up officially to my demo, but if I start seeing reliable reports of lots of vaccines going to waste I am going to do what I can to get the shot even if they haven't opened it up to my age group.

• Hook 'Em 2

Have there been any more recent studies of blood type resistance to the Covid19?

I recall some early studies that suggested those patients with type O & B had less severe cases of the disease.
This was of some personal interest, as Mrs. Brat is O- and I am B+.

midtown, you're an idiot

Anyone who has doubts about getting the vaccine out of priority should get over them. The last week or two there has been vaccines available in excess of those who qualify as 1A/B. Spend a little time on the internet and get it done. We all need the shot. We all benefit from every vaccine administered.

I would suggest that those who have gotten vaxxed should assist others in doing the same. Many are willing but just don't know where or how or are frustrated. I got 3 of my close friends vaxxed last week. Olds are bumbling around waiting on vaccine lists while nurses are standing around waiting to give on hand vaccines to the olds. My mom's friends were having issues. We got them solved. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, 4th and 5 said:

midtown, you're an idiot

I'm just stating what the science says.    I've also stated before that one could make a case that we should have prioritized people in high traffic or public facing jobs over the olds.  

3 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Have there been any more recent studies of blood type resistance to the Covid19?

I recall some early studies that suggested those patients with type O & B had less severe cases of the disease.
This was of some personal interest, as Mrs. Brat is O- and I am B+.

Last thing I read on something like this pointed to there being a particular neanderthal gene that some people have that may make your more likely to get a severe case of covid.  We are far enough in to this where I would think we would know definitively if blood type matters.

13 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

Uggh... So of the 61% remaining, how many have no intention of getting it? How many are on waitlists? How many want one but have no idea how to do it and have no help? (I'm guessing that's the biggest segment)

But also... at what point do we have to wait for that last segment to get theirs? Is it more beneficial for them if those of us who can just go get our shit done quickly get it now? 

Most stuff I've read said that between 35% and 40% (give or take a point or two) have no intention of ever getting the vaccine nationwide; however that number dips slightly with the idea of one shot only.  Of this % of people saying no intent, over half are also saying they might consider once more time has passed and it settles out.  Plus you can just figure in general ineptitude that will easily miss about 25% of the population no matter what.

In any case, probably won't get to herd immunity anytime this year, if ever.

3 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Most stuff I've read said that between 35% and 40% (give or take a point or two) have no intention of ever getting the vaccine nationwide; however that number dips slightly with the idea of one shot only.  Of this % of people saying no intent, over half are also saying they might consider once more time has passed and it settles out.  Plus you can just figure in general ineptitude that will easily miss about 25% of the population no matter what.

In any case, probably won't get to herd immunity anytime this year, if ever.

Between playing whack a mole with variants, kids, and those who won't get vaccinated, I agree that we probably won't see true herd immunity ever. But we will knock it down to a level where it's just something that pops up and takes a few thousand old or compromised people per year. Not that that's a "win". But we as a society have decided that's an acceptable risk level with other viruses like the flu, and a minor endemic seasonal virus will get us back to pre-2020 normal fairly soon.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Deej said:

UPS drivers deliver the thing and can’t get it even though they interact with dozens of people every day. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, midtown said:

Cunty or honest and truthful?  

Cunty like a bitch.  Truthful for some.  

My wife has been back in the classroom all fucking year.  No shot.  She has also had to basically do two jobs due to remote learners as well.  Don't paint with such a wide brush.  

• Hook 'Em 4

15 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

My wife has been back in the classroom all fucking year.  No shot.  She has also had to basically do two jobs due to remote learners as well.  Don't paint with such a wide brush.  

Well, your wife is a fucking badass

10 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Here’s Mrs. Brat’s yearbook pic when she was still teaching elementary school in 1967.

Well done AB. Reminds me of the film, Circle of Two, starring Richard Burton and Tatum O'Neal. 

image.png.a997921632e4e3b30573bd8ebf051b74.png

Signing up loved ones to get the vaccine is a great idea. 

28 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Ours just drops off the packages and runs back to the truck without ringing the doorbell.

20 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Mine drops packages off then makes sure to drive in the grass inside my circle drive as much as possible on his way out.

Yeah, meant more the business drivers. I see mine 10 times a week and he probably goes to 50 other places every day. 

My wife has been back since school started in August as well. She’s an SLP which makes her job difficult to do with the fact she needs to see how the kids are trying to form words physically. They are removing their masks frequently so that she can continue helping them speak properly. My son has been back on campus since October with no issues so far.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Houston Health Department expands COVID-19 vaccine waitlist 

The Houston Health Department today expanded its COVID-19 vaccine waitlist to all age groups eligible for vaccination under the Texas Department of State Health Services criteria. The waitlist is used to schedule the department’s allotment of appointments at the FEMA community vaccination center at NRG Park and its other vaccination sites.

Phase 1A of the state’s criteria focuses on front-line health care workers and residents of long-term care facilities. Phase 1B focuses on people 65 and older and people age 16 and older with medical conditions that put them at greater risk of severe illness from COVID-19.

People who meet the criteria can register for the waitlist online at HoustonEmergency.org/covid19. Registration is also available by phone to people age 60 and older through the Area Agency on Aging at 832-393-4301. People with disabilities can call the Aging and Disability Resource Center at 832-393-5500. Anyone else needing registration assistance can contact the COVID-19 call center at 832-393-4220.

The department’s waitlist was previously open to people age 65 and older and people age 60 and older with chronic health conditions. The waitlist expansion ensures more members of the community who are eligible for the vaccine have access.

• Like 1