COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

FYI to you FHS 2/1 first rounders, just got an email from FHS to reregister and was able to book my second round for Wednesday. Looks like weds/thurs/fri were options. Waiting for confirmation, but better than nothing.

Same. Email makes it sound like you’re applying for first but once you log in it gives first or second choice. i was able to confirm my second for thursday.

2 hours ago, Scraps said:
3 hours ago, Hate said:
I signed up on the Harris County website today. It will be interesting to see how long it takes to get an appointment.

Good luck. I signed up with them a month ago and never heard shit

I'm in no hurry as I work from home and never eat inside a restaurant or go to bars.  I would probably prefer to get the J&J vaccine as it's only one shot.  I can deal with the 100% effective against death and hospitalization even if it's only 72% effective against the virus itself.  We'll see how it goes. 

Edited by Hate

On 2/28/2021 at 10:50 PM, NorthLoop said:

not trying to be a dick but anyone who is anti-vax, regardless of age, I hope dies from this shit. 

Too bad the people who are under 50 have a 4,999/5,000 chance at survival. Kinda fucks up your plan doesn't it?

Which type of vaccine does CVS in Texas use right now?  

FYI-they just dropped a bunch of shots for the South Congress Avenue store on Thursday and Friday.  Literally dozens to hundreds of slots open and you can book both shots in one link.  

23 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

Damn that was mean. I don't hope your parents die dude. That was the White Claw talking. 

I’ll tell her that some guy on the internet hopes you die because you don’t want a vaccine, lol!  Maybe that’ll change her mind.  

actually it’s much worse, one of my cousins has her believing that some frequency gadget can heal her and she believes it because my cousin has a chemistry degree from aggy.

Edited by Pablo
Phrasing
  • Hook 'Em 1

55 minutes ago, Lobo said:

FYI-they just dropped a bunch of shots for the South Congress Avenue store on Thursday and Friday.  Literally dozens to hundreds of slots open and you can book both shots in one link.  

I thought they are doing at least the Modena and Pfizer ones since I saw both open up as an option in Houston.

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

+rep.  Been trying to get my mother who turns 65 in less than three weeks a shot since they dropped in December.  She’s struck out and had appointments cancelled on her more times than I can count.  Got her all scheduled for this Thursday.  

Edited by Chet Steadman
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, UnivTex34 said:

FYI to you FHS 2/1 first rounders, just got an email from FHS to reregister and was able to book my second round for Wednesday. Looks like weds/thurs/fri were options. Waiting for confirmation, but better than nothing.

I got my email as well, but I just showed up on Saturday to get my second dose when we weren’t sure that FHS was getting its shit together. Glad they seem to be on a decent schedule now.

I had no response from the first Moderna shot, other than a sore arm.  The second one I had yesterday is definitely making me groggy/fatigued/headache type symptoms with a little less pain at the injection site.   And just because I have seen this mentioned a couple times - I confirmed with two different nurses yesterday during the booster, that the second shot is the exact same as the first in both makeup and volume.

35 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Bad ass. It's about to be open season in this bitch. Do we top out at 3 million doses per day or go higher than that?

3 hours ago, Lobo said:

My parents both got Moderna at CVS at separate locations. 

1 minute ago, Lobo said:

Well for your sake, I hope they get back together. 

Pops has the 65+ olds and got scheduled a month ago. Mama is apparently playing the Surly game of “16-65 with a condition” and got a slot yesterday. I’m still hitting refresh on the APH, CVS, and H‑E‑B websites with no luck. 

1 hour ago, Enchubben said:

I had no response from the first Moderna shot, other than a sore arm.  The second one I had yesterday is definitely making me groggy/fatigued/headache type symptoms with a little less pain at the injection site.   And just because I have seen this mentioned a couple times - I confirmed with two different nurses yesterday during the booster, that the second shot is the exact same as the first in both makeup and volume.

well yeah except the second shot has the RF front end which connects to Bill Gates' secret 5G lair...but I wouldn't expect the nurses to know that.

On 3/1/2021 at 8:42 AM, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I'll never understand why grocery store check out clerks weren't in 1B. 

Not to be cynical but not sure if serious? Relatively speaking, checkout clerks are poors w/ no political clout. Although you could just as easily say that it makes too much sense, so why would we do that?

4 hours ago, Lobo said:

Getting my first shot at CVS in a few hours and it is Pfizer.

Pops has the 65+ olds and got scheduled a month ago. Mama is apparently playing the Surly game of “16-65 with a condition” and got a slot yesterday. I’m still hitting refresh on the APH, CVS, and H‑E‑B websites with no luck. 

Add Walgreens too. Saw some in Buda and San Marcos this morning.

This is an extremely cunty post. Teachers should have been prioritized without question. 
Yeah that dude clearly has to all the contact tracing to prove this bs. Oh yeah we have almost no contract tracing to prove how teachers get infected, and they are getting infected despite extraordinary measures.

47 minutes ago, Born to Run said:
On 3/1/2021 at 8:32 AM, midtown said:
Why do your kids need to be vaccinated to go back to school?  School transmission is almost non-existent.  

You keep saying that without any supporting data whatsoever...

8 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

CDC study says about 3-4% of student cases coming from in school spread and near zero to staff/between staff

4 minutes ago, Born to Run said:
8 minutes ago, dcar00 said:
CDC study says about 3-4% of student cases coming from in school spread and near zero to staff/between staff

Without robust contract tracing, that study is rather useless. Throw in kids largely being asymptomatic and how the hell can glean anything meaningful.

It's nice that you know so much, but I, personally, don't have time to do an in depth study of all this stuff so I have to usually just trust the science in these cases.

11 minutes ago, Born to Run said:
15 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Without robust contract tracing, that study is rather useless. Throw in kids largely being asymptomatic and how the hell can glean anything meaningful.

yeah I know, the CDC is largely bullshit..or not. depends on the day I guess.

18 minutes ago, Born to Run said:
22 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Why are you asserting there is not sufficient contract tracing within the schools? You're going to have to cite your source on that.

In my experience for my kids' schools, it's completely opposite.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Viper said:

wouldn't putting all these young healthy people in 1b just result in more old people dying of it?

all the preliminary findings (everything seems preliminary at this point) show signs that vaccinated persons are less likely to be able to spread the disease, the big unknown is by how much

Here are three links to vaccination clinics in South Texas tomorrow through Friday for 1A/1B if anyone needs them. Falfurrias, Freer, and Beeville. Have a family member that works here, and @midtown used my last link with good success it sounds like. 

https://cacost.org/

Edited by BradInATX
  • Hook 'Em 2

Re schools: 

How much of the low rate of spread related to the measures being employed at the schools- masks and distancing?

and how much of that is maintainable if they went “fully open?”  Or does fully open imply the absence of measures?

don’t have time so search now and I’ll forget soon. 

5 hours ago, South Austin said:

I got my email as well, but I just showed up on Saturday to get my second dose when we weren’t sure that FHS was getting its shit together. Glad they seem to be on a decent schedule now.

Mrs.Brat got her FHS email yesterday evening, supposedly to book her 2nd shot ( 1st was on 2/2 at Kelly Reeves Stadium) . She logs in, it came up with her name & date 3-1-21, says type your message here, she typed it and sent it, and now nothing - no response.

she is getting bent out of shape with frustration and doesn’t know what to do.

Edited by Armybrat

1 minute ago, Armybrat said:

Mrs.Brat got her email yesterday evening. She logs in, it came up with her name & date 3-1-21, says type your message here, she typed it and sent it, and now nothing - no response.

If you read the email, it says to click on Book in the top right. This will allow you to select a date and time for the second dose.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, UnivTex34 said:

If you read the email, it says to click on Book in the top right. This will allow you to select a date and time for the second dose.

She thanks you very much. She had missed that “book” button (old & half blind like me).

She’s booked for her 2nd shot Friday at 11:50.

🤘

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

all the preliminary findings (everything seems preliminary at this point) show signs that vaccinated persons are less likely to be able to spread the disease, the big unknown is by how much

yeah I get that, but there are (were?) a small supply of vaccines. Every young healthy person vaccinated means an older vulnerable person remains unvaccinated. I'm guessing (but not completely sure) that the numbers say protecting the vulnerable will lead to fewer deaths than reducing spread from grocery workers and teachers or else, why would +65 have priority in the first place.

Edited by Viper

Why are you asserting there is not sufficient contract tracing within the schools? You're going to have to cite your source on that.
In my experience for my kids' schools, it's completely opposite.
We do not have adequate contact tracing in this country. Without that and a shitload of testing its impossible to make statements like "it doesn't really spread through schools" or "teachers only get sick from bars".